IMG_9557[1] (resized).jpg
IMG_9556 (resized).JPG
IMG_9551 (resized).JPG
IMG_9550 (resized).JPG
IMG_9539 (resized).JPG
IMG_9547 (resized).JPG
IMG_9542 (resized).JPG
IMG_9541 (resized).JPG
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Picked up this King Rock alongside an Eight Ball in tip top condition.
I wasn't sure whether I wanted it, but I always liked that backglass so I did pick it up. I got it really cheap and now I'm wondering whether I want to part it out and keep the backglass and do a backlit frame for it or get it working and shop it.
I'm not really thinking of doing a restore as I have too many machines in the queue already.

I could probably recoup what I paid for it by selling the lockdown bar and the score reel assemblies, and I think my framed backglass could be badass but I would feel kinda bad about destroying it.

There's two games played counters in there for some reason, but it looks to me like the 311K one matches the condition of the playfield.

I think I'll put some time in cleaning it up and get it working just for the fun of it then we'll see what happens.

Stay tuned!

IMG_9531 (resized).JPGIMG_9531 (resized).JPG

IMG_9530 (resized).JPGIMG_9530 (resized).JPG

IMG_9532 (resized).JPGIMG_9532 (resized).JPG

IMG_9533 (resized).JPGIMG_9533 (resized).JPG

IMG_9534 (resized).JPGIMG_9534 (resized).JPG

IMG_9535 (resized).JPGIMG_9535 (resized).JPG

IMG_9536 (resized).JPGIMG_9536 (resized).JPG

IMG_9524 (resized).JPGIMG_9524 (resized).JPG

IMG_9526 (resized).JPGIMG_9526 (resized).JPG

IMG_9525 (resized).JPGIMG_9525 (resized).JPG

IMG_9527 (resized).JPGIMG_9527 (resized).JPG

IMG_9528 (resized).JPGIMG_9528 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

I'm a sucker for games that I really shouldn't buy and try and save. However, I keep doing it and I have to agree with you. It looks far to good to split. Get it going and save it. Well done that man.

#3 7 years ago

The "don't like it, gonna part it out" mentality makes me sick. Not the most loved title but looks like a pretty nice game, just resell it. If you want a backglass send it to BGResto, get a copy, and then sell the machine off with the original backglass.

#4 7 years ago

Well it's not that black and white.
People don't like EMs much around these parts, nor are there many people that I know of that know how to work on them. It's already a C-lister of EMs as far as I know, so I'll probably have a hard time moving it when I have to. I don't see anybody driving hundreds of miles to come get it here either.
Right now I'm all full, with a machine at my dad's place plus one that I'm restoring and that I'll have to fit somewhere when I'm done with it.
If I hadn't picked it up I don't know that anybody else would have since it's not working.

All that means that any money I'm putting into it will probably be lost and my time will be invested for the good of pinball. I don't think parting out a beater (in this case, destroyed playfield, dirty as F guts, and what you don't see is that the cab is pretty shaky too) is that bad of a thing either since some other machines may benefit from the spare parts.

I was certainly expecting such a discussion with this thread, but I wouldn't have posted either if I had just decided to part it out, so we'll try to clean it up and get it running and see where that goes!

Thanks for the reply!

#5 7 years ago

So let's start with getting that bottom board out...

IMG_9537 (resized).JPGIMG_9537 (resized).JPG
IMG_9539 (resized).JPGIMG_9539 (resized).JPG

Might have been a reimport... first time I see that part. Oh, King Rock where have you been??

IMG_9541 (resized).JPGIMG_9541 (resized).JPG

Cleans up pretty nice.
I'm already getting attached. I think you may have some more life left in you King Rock, old pal.

IMG_9542 (resized).JPGIMG_9542 (resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago

Good luck. Looks like you have some serious work ahead of you.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks!

So I won't get the bottom board any cleaner than that.
Next up I'll clean up the switches and look that everything seems to work as it should.
Then I'll see if I can simulate what the board needs to go through the start sequence. If I'm not mistaken I just need to close the score reel 0 switches and that should do it? I'll go look at Clay's guide.

I think I had done that with a Bally Monte Carlo board at some point.

I'll see if I can get away without ordering the schematics...

IMG_9539 (resized).JPGIMG_9539 (resized).JPG
IMG_9547 (resized).JPGIMG_9547 (resized).JPG

#8 7 years ago

King Kool and King Rock were money-making location games...

#9 7 years ago

Interesting, a bell instead of a knocker.....

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I have a King Kool. It was the first EM that I brought back from the dead, learned lot on that one.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Interesting, a bell instead of a knocker.....

There's both. The bell is when you score points.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Well if that play counter is accurate, and the machine seems to be set at a quarter for 2 plays, that's 311 000 / 2 / 4 = 38 000$
Rough math, obviously, and there's got to be many unpaid games, home games and such, but still, even at 30 000$ 70's-80's money, that's a gold mine.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Might have been a reimport... first time I see that part.

The 1 Mark coin slot might of also been a tip off.

#14 7 years ago

I grew up playing King Rock so I have a soft spot in my heart for this one.

#15 7 years ago

I have a soft spot for this title too. If you're going to Expo or the MGC and can bring it, I'd love to take it off your hands.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

There's both. The bell is when you score points.

I did not even notice that the chimes are missing. I guess that's common on pins that were shipped to Europe.
My King Kool is a Canadian market pin, it has the cage around the transformer & a safety switch on the coin door.

#17 7 years ago

Don't worry folks, I wanted to make the post a little dramatic, but I have an order in for rubbers and pop bumper caps so it's safe to say the King will live on.

I did briefly entertain parting it out for reasons stated above, but I have to agree with Muppet_Man that it's not too far gone and you guys convinced me not to consider it if there was any doubt left.

#18 7 years ago

Alright so I'm pretty confident that the board is clean and well adjusted so I just dropped it back in there.
At first I just plugged in the head and the score motor turned briefly, reset the front bank then stopped.

I plugged in the coin door and it started turning, resetting the front bank at each turn and the play counter that's been added to the front, piggybacked on the start relay, started smoking.
I don't see the point for that thing so I just cut it off.
My bet is that the Canadian operator added it when he got it, so the machine probably has 255k german plays and 56k canadian plays.

Plugged in the playfield too and I get the same behavior.
I'll go check out the start sequence, doesn't look like I'm too far off...

IMG_9550 (resized).JPGIMG_9550 (resized).JPG

IMG_9551 (resized).JPGIMG_9551 (resized).JPG

#19 7 years ago

Alright, starting to see some life here.
Something screwy going on when I plug in the coin door for some reason, but after cleaning up the Jones plugs and the head relays, when I trip the S relay I get the score reels to reset and the motor just keeps running. Looks like a need to do a good old fashioned cleanup of those 16 score reels back there.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Alright, starting to see some life here.
Something screwy going on when I plug in the coin door for some reason, but after cleaning up the Jones plugs and the head relays, when I trip the S relay I get the score reels to reset and the motor just keeps running. Looks like a need to do a good old fashioned cleanup of those 16 score reels back there.

Ugh. Have fun with those Damn decagon score reels. This is one area that Bally & Williams had a better design than Gottleib.

#21 7 years ago

The King is flippin'!

IMG_9556 (resized).JPGIMG_9556 (resized).JPG

Just cycled through a 1 player game, all 5 balls and the game ended as it should.
Only the 1000's points are working and obviously I'm not sure every feature is working as it should either, but we're getting somewhere.
I'll get it working across the board, then post some shopping pictures.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Ugh. Have fun with those Damn decagon score reels. This is one area that Bally & Williams had a better design than Gottleib.

Yeah turns out I didn't have to take them apart. Just cleaned the 0 position switches on the player 1, tried my luck again and I got it to start.

#23 7 years ago

Still haven't gotten around to ordering the schematics, but here's what I found out the deal is with the coin door.
So basically as soon as I jumper the door tilt shut, the machine behaves as if I was repeatedly pressing the start button (I even see the player 2, 3 and 4 relays activating at each turn of the motor).
I check for continuity at the start button switch and I don't see a short.
I have other schematics I'm looking at (Card Whiz, King Pin) and the start relay path is pretty similar on both so I guess it's gotta be pretty close on the King Rock.
It looks like there's two other paths that will activate it, one being the 1st coin chute and the other one being through a switch on the Start relay itself, which I don't understand.
Any ideas?

IMG_9557[1] (resized).jpgIMG_9557[1] (resized).jpg

#24 7 years ago

Looks like I'm getting continuity at that S relay self-activating switch even though it's open. Gotta have something to do with that... Will keep investigating.

#25 7 years ago

Got it!
Had a normally open switch on the third coin chute relay that was always closed.
Opened it up and start sequence behaves as it should.

#26 7 years ago

Alright, got all the points scoring and it looks like all 4 players are working.
Now can someone fill me in on the rules? I'm not sure everything is working as it should.
Especially the bonus counter. How is it supposed to work? Just keeps going up and up until it reaches the circle over the 10 000 and then it goes around the circle? What are the spinners supposed to do? What happens when you get KING?

Thanks!

#27 7 years ago

Max bonus is 15,000
The spinners activate the green lights in a circle, once you get 10 green lights lit it awards another bonus light.
When you get KING letters lit it awards 2X bonus on balls 1-2 or 1-4 (depending on setting), & awards 3X bonus on last ball (3 or 5, again, depending on settings).
Your last ball starts with the 2X bonus already lit.

#28 7 years ago

So, each KING letter will add 1K bonus and doing a full circle with the spinners will add 1k as well? Each spinner spin will advance the green light one position?

#29 7 years ago

Ok so here's what I'm seeing. Each KING letter increments the bonus up to 15K. The spinner advances the light, which goes around and around (at least it should, but it's a bit gunked up so I'm simulating it manually), but it doesn't seem to add any bonus.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Ok so here's what I'm seeing. Each KING letter increments the bonus up to 15K. The spinner advances the light, which goes around and around (at least it should, but it's a bit gunked up so I'm simulating it manually), but it doesn't seem to add any bonus.

It won't add any bonus past 15k - that's the max.
Under 15k, the green lights should add 1k bonus for each 10 green light lit.

#31 7 years ago

Thanks a lot for the help.

Ok so that's one thing I need to fix.
Also weak-ass left flippers...

And what should be the behavior of the middle stand up target? When should the left and right lights light up?

#32 7 years ago

There will be an AS style relay on the bottom side of the playfield for the spinner bonus. The relay will index once for each spin which will show on the playfield lights and will probably have a piggy backed switch that is actuated to add a bonus when the last playfield light is lit. Definitely start there. Search for how to refurb this on the EM group.

#33 7 years ago

Yeah, the flippers are a bit weak even when rebuilt. I replaced the coils with PBR's orange dot coils for a little bit more poop.
Much better IMHO

Been a while since I played, depending on what is lit, the middle target is 500 pts, opens gate, or scores special.

#34 7 years ago

Wow, that chick on the BG is definitely out-of-proportion! And that was painted back in the 60s!!

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

There will be an AS style relay on the bottom side of the playfield for the spinner bonus. The relay will index once for each spin which will show on the playfield lights and will probably have a piggy backed switch that is actuated to add a bonus when the last playfield light is lit. Definitely start there. Search for how to refurb this on the EM group.

Yeah that relay is kinda gunked up. I'll clean it up and see what should happen when it goes from the last to the first position.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Yeah, the flippers are a bit weak even when rebuilt. I replaced the coils with PBR's orange dot coils for a little bit more poop.
Much better IMHO
Been a while since I played, depending on what is lit, the middle target is 500 pts, opens gate, or scores special.

Yeah but the right ones are noticeably stronger than the left so I might have to do a rebuild or something. Will look into it this week.

Ok, but do you remember how the middle target cycles between these 3 different states?

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Wow, that chick on the BG is definitely out-of-proportion! And that was painted back in the 60s!!

I'd says the proportions are A-OK by today's standards
But I can imagine some 60's boys went pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png when they saw the BG.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Just like South Park....if you know what I mean.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Just like South Park....if you know what I mean.

f1bdbbcd23c9d4eeebaa06abd895d7d8afad3608.png (resized).jpgf1bdbbcd23c9d4eeebaa06abd895d7d8afad3608.png (resized).jpg

#40 7 years ago

Another question for you King Rock buffs... I cleaned up, replaced the inner gear and try to adjust the A/S relay for the green circle, it works pretty well but will sometimes stay stuck... I'll see if I can try shortening the spring a tad, not sure what else to try.

Now, I haven't figured out yet how it should trigger the bonus increase, but it also seems to advance anytime I get 10 points anywhere on the PF. Is that normal or should only the spinners do it?

Also, it looks like the worst offender for flipper strength is the leftmost one. I've read about removing a couple turns of the coil wire, anybody have luck with that? If so, how many turns do you suggest?

Thanks for the help!

#41 7 years ago

Man it's hard working without schematics... I think I'll have to do the walk of shame to the post office and get my money order for PBR.

#42 7 years ago

PhilGreg, that spinner AS relay is a real pain. It has to be adjusted very carefully. I got mine working almost perfectly by carefully adjusting the relationship between the metal tab that keeps the reel from going backwards and the metal part that sets how far up the relay goes after it fires.

They key is to go back and forth adjusting both of those until the stepper contact ends up as close to the center of the copper tabs on the board as you can get. You will need to check each position, because it might be perfect for position 1 but way off on 5. The key is to get the best you can.

Also, it should only add to the bonus relay once per full revolution. Not sure exactly what triggers that though.

There is a page in the manual that describes the official Gottlieb way to adjust that relay. But it was only partly helpful....

Good luck!

- Gblaz

#43 7 years ago

On the center cam, there is one switch that causes only the last green circle to advance a bonus and a second switch, to move the green circle to the first position at the start of every ball.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Man it's hard working without schematics... I think I'll have to do the walk of shame to the post office and get my money order for PBR.

I have an extra copy I can send you when I get back from vacation on Apr 4th

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I have an extra copy I can send you when I get back from vacation on Apr 4th

That would be awesome, I'll Paypal you some money, I love PBR it's just a little complicated to order stuff back here in Canada.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

On the center cam, there is one switch that causes only the last green circle to advance a bonus and a second switch, to move the green circle to the first position at the start of every ball.

Yes, it's that second cam that's not doing its job right... I've jumpered some power to one of the lugs and it does advance the bonus but I can't figure out the path of the faulty wire with some crappy colors (some kind of gray with yellow trace or something, the kind that gets indiscernible when it's dirty.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from gblaz:

PhilGreg, that spinner AS relay is a real pain. It has to be adjusted very carefully. I got mine working almost perfectly by carefully adjusting the relationship between the metal tab that keeps the reel from going backwards and the metal part that sets how far up the relay goes after it fires.
They key is to go back and forth adjusting both of those until the stepper contact ends up as close to the center of the copper tabs on the board as you can get. You will need to check each position, because it might be perfect for position 1 but way off on 5. The key is to get the best you can.
Also, it should only add to the bonus relay once per full revolution. Not sure exactly what triggers that though.
There is a page in the manual that describes the official Gottlieb way to adjust that relay. But it was only partly helpful....
Good luck!
- Gblaz

The A/S seems to work pretty well now, it doesn't seem to stay stuck anymore. But it looks like every 10pt switch will advance it, is that normal (advance the A/S relay, not the bonus)?

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

The A/S seems to work pretty well now, it doesn't seem to stay stuck anymore. But it looks like every 10pt switch will advance it, is that normal (advance the A/S relay, not the bonus)?

Sorry, Misunderstood. Yes, as far as I remember, any 10 point switch will advance the green lights. The only way that wouldn't happen is if Gottlieb had used a "spinner relay" to be first energized by the spinner switches, and in turn, the relay would have a set of points for the AS relay and another set for 10 points. Without looking at a schematic, I am sure you can match wire colors to the spinner leaf switches and a 10 point rubber rebound switch.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Sorry, Misunderstood. Yes, as far as I remember, any 10 point switch will advance the green lights. The only way that wouldn't happen is if Gottlieb had used a "spinner relay" to be first energized by the spinner switches, and in turn, the relay would have a set of points for the AS relay and another set for 10 points. Without looking at a schematic, I am sure you can match wire colors to the spinner leaf switches and a 10 point rubber rebound switch.

Alright, thanks for the answer! So I'm pretty close then, just need to get that bonus going and make the left flippers stronger and I'm done...
Man everything cranks up the bonus on that machine!

#50 7 years ago

Yes - I can confirm that any 10 point switch should advance the AS relay and move the lights in the circle.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-gonna-happen-to-you-king-rock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.