(Topic ID: 138788)

What's going on with the expo tournament this year?

By WaddleJrJr

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I heard that Trent plans on having 128 qualifiers at this year's Expo tournament. Does anyone have any information on how this is going to work?

#2 8 years ago

Bump. Anyone got info on this? The expo schedule still says qualifying goes through Saturday, so maybe this change isn't actually happening.

#3 8 years ago

Okay, I did some talking around and got official updates on this.

Yes the tournament will have 128 qualifiers, and qualifying will only go from Thursday - Friday, with finals starting on Saturday. The official expo schedule (http://pinballexpo.com/seminar.pdf) is incorrect in saying that finals will start on Sunday.

There will only be 16 players going at once, so each group of 8 above the bottom 16 receives one more bye than the previous group of 8.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Okay, I did some talking around and got official updates on this.
    Yes the tournament will have 128 qualifiers, and qualifying will only go from Thursday - Friday, with finals starting on Saturday. The official expo schedule (http://pinballexpo.com/seminar.pdf) is incorrect in saying that finals will start on Sunday.
    There will only be 16 players going at once, so each group of 8 above the bottom 16 receives one more bye than the previous group of 8.

Nothing on the Ifpa/Wppr page and less than a month away. Seems out of the ordinary to me. Trying to determine if will attend expo at all still. The lack of tourney details has me leaning more towards the "No" side.

#5 8 years ago

http://www.ifpapinball.com/calendar/view.php?id=10004

Calendar submission has been up since April 2015

#6 8 years ago

A division
    Top 32 scores will qualify. Top scores will get byes. Finals will be bracket playoffs in a head to head format, double elimination. Match will be best 2 out of 3. Finals start at 8am Sunday if you don't have a bye. Top 32 are in the money. Qualify in "A" and you take home cash!

A division

1st - $2500 plus %pot or Stern pinball machine
    2nd - $750
    3rd - $400
    4th - $250
    5th to 8th - $100
    9th to 24th - $50

What $'s for 25-32 ?

Sounds like the same ole, same ole Expo tourney to me.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

A division
    Top 32 scores will qualify. Top scores will get byes. Finals will be bracket playoffs in a head to head format, double elimination. Match will be best 2 out of 3. Finals start at 8am Sunday if you don't have a bye. Top 32 are in the money. Qualify in "A" and you take home cash!
    A division
    1st - $2500 plus %pot or Stern pinball machine
    2nd - $750
    3rd - $400
    4th - $250
    5th to 8th - $100
    9th to 24th - $50
    What $'s for 25-32 ?
    Sounds like the same ole, same ole Expo tourney to me.

He must've just updated it because the IFPA event now says, "Qualifying on Thurs and Fri. 128 qualifiers. Bracket tourney starts Sat morning. herb qualifying then head to head double elim"

#8 8 years ago

Thanks for posting, when I check the IFPA calender I only look at stuff in the default distance range, so I forget to look for the pages for these further away events.

#9 8 years ago

So an initial qualifying round of HERB style on X machines followed by a round of 128 people in head to head matches on Saturday to make the Finals on Sunday?

Whats the prize structure and playoff bracket look like for 128 people?

#10 8 years ago

Will it be live streamed for us poor souls who can't be there?

#11 8 years ago

Some of the PAPA-TV staff will be there. Broadcast time will depend if they are playing in the tourney or not I'd suspect.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

So an initial qualifying round of HERB style on X machines followed by a round of 128 people in head to head matches on Saturday to make the Finals on Sunday?
    Whats the prize structure and playoff bracket look like for 128 people?

The way I understand that the 128 player final bracket will be the bottom 16 playing, winners move on and are joined by the next 8 highest (who had byes through the first round). Then 8 from that round move on and are joined by the next 8.

Now how that works into the losers bracket I don't know, but I figure it'll work itself out when drawn up.

I actually think this change is kind of cool, because it makes the format less of a "pump and dump" and allows more people to get to play head to head without spending a lot of money and waiting in lots of lines to qualify.

#13 8 years ago

Be curious as to how the bracket will be made up. By the sounds of it there will be no "B" division for us novice players.

1 week later
    #14 8 years ago

Expo tourney has been updated some what. Here's the summary and link.

http://tiltforums.com/t/flipout-2015/926

Taking 128 qualifyers in main this year.
    Qualifying will run Thurs 10-midnight and Friday 10am til 2am.
    Every 8 qualifying spots there will be a bye. 15 byes possible!

Finals will start at 8am on Saturday morning. Starting times for your match will be posted.

There will be a $30 registration fee this year.

Winners side is best of 3. Losers side will be best of one until there are 32 people remaining.

Classics will run the same as it always has. So if you get bumped out early in Main you can play in Classics.

#15 8 years ago

I dig the changes

1 week later
    #16 8 years ago

Expo tourney bank has been announced!

Game of Thrones Pro (x2), Mustang Pro, Mustang Premium, TWD Pro, Kiss Pro, Whoa Nellie, X-men LE, and Wrestlemania Pro.

I'm digging the uniqueness of the lineup. I was getting sick of seeing Star Trek, AC/DC, and MET under the camera so much (although those three are terrific games), so it's nice to see the line-up have some new wild cards tossed in that are yet to have been broadcasted in a PAPA tournament (Game of Thrones, Whoa Nellie, and Wrestlemania).

#17 8 years ago

I'll have fun watching you play from the sidelines Waddlejrjr.

The classic games so far are: Eightball Deluxe Limited Edition, Strikes N Spares (Bally), and Warlock. Fourth game rumored to be Ali.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

I'll have fun watching you play from the sidelines Waddlejrjr.
    The classic games so far are: Eightball Deluxe Limited Edition, Strikes N Spares (Bally), and Warlock. Fourth game rumored to be Ali.

Plan on putting in any entries yourself?

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Plan on putting in any entries yourself?

At this time I don't plan on putting any entries in.

#20 8 years ago

Link and times for broadcasts?

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Link and times for broadcasts?

Got the word from Mr. Replogle that PAPA will be broadcasting Saturday night and Sunday. Not sure specific times.

Will be on twitch.tv/papatvpinball

#23 8 years ago

Congrats to Steve Bowden for the win and Trent A #2. Biggest surprise for me was GeneX. Nice playing Gene!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-going-on-with-the-expo-tournament-this-year and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.