• Met 111 votes
    53%
  • GOT 33 votes
    16%

(209 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from XpadreX:

I asked a question, which did not imply that I knew the answer. Buttons on a lockbar do not seem beyond the abilities of many on Pinside, who frequently mod games to add features. Clearly, you aren't the expert whose Intel I sought.
...and if I could do it, I would not have asked a question, but rather would have made a statement. Alas, I would have been directed to another thread to provide my response, as evidently info cannot be repeated under any circumstance.
The rules are deep!

So you can add the lockdown button pretty simply. But not the code.

#52 8 years ago

GoT is really fun to shoot so far. I'm Interested to see where code takes it. It shipped with lots to do, but it's clearly still got a long way to go. Im a huge fan of the show, and I think this will end up being a great pin... But it's not there yet.

MET was my Fav for over a year. Donny's art is amazing, and there is a ton to do on this machine. Lots to keep you busy. The only downside is the music which I'm not a fan of (Pinball Browser deals with this). No question, MET is a force to be reckoned with.

TWD LE or Pre is a frikkin' gobsmacking masterpiece. I have never seen the show (though I've read every comic). The layout takes some getting used to. It's punishing, and frustrating... But JUST the right amount. Its a game where you can have a 275 Mil ball followed by a 350 K ball. There are 9 machines sitting idle in my pin room for the last 2 weeks while I play TWDle over, and over, and over, and over, and over. Ok, I played a game of Jungle Queen Thursday night!

#53 8 years ago

OP, I'm not sure what your skill level is but one thing I would consider depending...

I have these three on location near me. While I love them all I don't think TWD is for the easily-discouraged/new players. I love playing it and the rules are phenomenal but it's a real tough shooter and a drain monster. As a pretty experienced player I have to remind myself that it's a different caliber game than most Sterns when I get frustrated.

MET and GOT are much more new player friendly and very good games code-wise as well. They have much more traditional shots and aren't as punishing to an inexperienced player.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

OP, I'm not sure what your skill level is but one thing I would consider depending...
I have these three on location near me. While I love them all I don't think TWD is for the easily-discouraged/new players. I love playing it and the rules are phenomenal but it's a real tough shooter and a drain monster. As a pretty experienced player I have to remind myself that it's a different caliber game than most Sterns when I get frustrated.
MET and GOT are much more new player friendly and very good games code-wise as well. They have much more traditional shots and aren't as punishing to an inexperienced player.

good point, at first I didn't like TWD pro because it's layout was so odd, with the right ramp being very close up. And the orbit feeding the pops. I have a lot of games that are like Met or GOT (would say AcDc and IM are similar) so something odd might be better. I just got Tspp and find that to be an odd/different layout. But I'm not much of a fan of the bell walker.

I think that I need to get more time on TWD to decide.

#55 8 years ago

I agree that something is missing in GOT. I did not enjoy playing it much at all. Maybe you really need to know the rules. I can't get into TWD much either but I can see why some like it. I didn't like MET when it came out. Not a fan of the band or the art. It's grown on my a lot lately. After seeing GOT and other Stern pins, I appreciate that MET actually has quality art. I like how easy it is to pickup on the basic rules of MET. Some Stern pins are just too complicated. If you need a multi page instruction manual just to get started, that's too much. It takes years to write that code and it's never finished.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

TWD or Pre is a frikkin' gobsmacking masterpiece. I have never seen the show (though I've read every comic). The layout takes some getting used to. It's punishing, and frustrating... But JUST the right amount. Its a game where you can have a 275 Mil ball followed by a 350 K ball. There are 9 machines sitting idle in my pin room for the last 2 weeks while I play TWDle over, and over, and over, and over, and over. Ok, I played a game of Jungle Queen Thursday night!

Get used to it, been doing it now for over a year.

The fact that the layout is "unique" is part of what makes it great! Throw Lyman in there and you have an absolute masterpiece.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I didn't like MET when it came out. Not a fan of the band or the art.

Not liking the music I can see but how can anyone not like the art??

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

One could easily argue the art is juvenile and silly but I think overall as a whole the art and dots work very well together for Met.

3 months later
#59 8 years ago

Bumping this up to see if opinions have changed now that GoT is out there more and the software has matured. Looks like I'm going to be picking between these three very soon...

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

You can't compare until code is near finished on all 3.

It seems to me all three are very far along in the code dept. if not finished.

All three are very good games. Really comes down to theme and personal preferences.

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I never disliked it - just didn't appreciate it much until now. I still prefer artwork of the past but agree that MET is Stern's best art package.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yeah...if you're talking about the pro, it's missing the upper playfield and functional throne.

It isn't missing full left orbit shots though!

#63 8 years ago

Well since this thread started I picked up a GOT pro.....great game with fantastic code....and it keeps getting little updates (Dwight bought one for his own personal collection so you know it will keep getting tweaked as needed).

Personally I prefer the gameplay on GOT over MET. Haven't played TWD since it got better code. Hard to go wrong here all three are winners.

#64 8 years ago

This one's still a layup.
Metallica all the way, although admittedly liking the band helps.

Saving up for the next run of Premiums which is coming eventually.
I won't say soon, because after all, this is Stern we are talking about.

#65 8 years ago

I now own all three and I am pretty sure that GOT is the best of all three (for me)

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

It isn't missing full left orbit shots though!

Pssht, the messed up left orbit just leads to the pop bumpers. Like half the shots on TWD lead to the pop bumpers and people seem to LOVE that for some reason.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Pssht, the messed up left orbit just leads to the pop bumpers. Like half the shots on TWD lead to the pop bumpers and people seem to LOVE that for some reason.

I've seen some that send the ball back down the left orbit. Also that's one of the things I hate about TWD is that too many shots lead to the pops.

#68 8 years ago

I think TWD is the best of these three.

MET would be a somewhat distant second, and GOT close behind MET in third.

Regarding the messed up left orbit shot on GOT, it isn't just the fact that the ball doesn't go all the way around and goes into the pops instead, it's the fact that (as mentioned by smassa) the ball can often actually come back down from the left orbit and register another hit for that shot (thus making it much easier to complete battles like Greyjoy).

I hope Stern issues a fix for the GOT orbit shot soon.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

the ball can often actually come back down from the left orbit and register another hit for that shot (thus making it much easier to complete battles like Greyjoy.

Umm, I call this a Skillshot. Saved my butt on Martell a few times!

Similarly, a soft exit shot on the upper playfield will register the exit, but the ball will return to the upper flippers, permitting an attempt at the next castle. Yep, another Skillshot.

#70 8 years ago

Yep! I always try to do that on the upper playfield, with varying degrees of success.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.50
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 12.95
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.95
$ 16.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-better-twd-met-or-got/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.