Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I am halfway considering one of these pins, not 1000% certain I'd get one. But both are in the $2700-$2800 price range.

#2 8 years ago

JD < WPT

#3 8 years ago

WPT - much deeper game. Adjust settings to improve flow.

#4 8 years ago

I like wpt much better. A real shooters game.

#5 8 years ago

could you be a bit more specific? I mean, give me any ideas why?

Would also consider RBION but not currently one in my local for sale at this price at the moment.

#6 8 years ago

I have a hard time enjoying either of these games and the price sounds a little high for both to me.

#7 8 years ago

I believe WPT is much better in that price range. Lot's of targets and game play. Just a poor translite. Lot's of alternative ones out there.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

I have a hard time enjoying either of these games and the price sounds a little high for both to me.

I hear this.

I was curious, does that mean they are poor pins or just not well liked?

#9 8 years ago

JD is a good game. WPT is a great game. Stern has never had a game with more polished software and the playfield is a drop target fest with some really cool features that you don't discover until you look close at the upper playfield and backboard components.

#10 8 years ago

WPT if you want a game where the goal is just to jam up as many points with a lot of strategy and hard shots. JD is good too and a bunch of modes and humor but it doesn't have as much depth. I have both and either one is good. Download pinmame or watch them on youtube. Just take whatever catches your eye. Neither is bad.

#11 8 years ago

WPT all day long.

#12 8 years ago

There's something about wpt I dont like at all yea it has nice rules but that alone dont make a pin .I guess its the theme and the shots and overall just the way it plays .the artwork is not that great and speech to me is annoying but im also not a card player , but id say try it out u may love it ?

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

There's something about wpt I dont like at all yea it has nice rules but that alone dont make a pin .I guess its the theme and the shots and overall just the way it plays .the artwork is not that great and speech to me is annoying but im also not a card player , but id say try it out u may love it ?

It has a very similar layout to AFM, which you thought was decent.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Det_Deckard:

It has a very similar layout to AFM, which you thought was decent.</blockquot

It has a very similar layout to AFM, which you thought was decent.

I didn't say the layout was bad ? Its the way it plays which is definitely not like afm and the theme well stinks compared to afm .i mean come on u cant compare them its not even close.i know it dont mean much but look at the ratings lol

#15 8 years ago

To me, JD isn't a bad game. I like playing it a game or two on location, but didn't really like owning it that much. There's a lot to do, ton of shots and it can be decently cool, but it feels a little clunky to me and doesn't give me the "one more time" feeling that other games in that price range and from that era do.

WPT I've just never really liked. For whatever reason I just can't get into it, not sure if I don't fully understand the rules or if the shots don't feel good to me, or probably a mixture of both.

#16 8 years ago

OT- I would add $1500-$2000ish and get a LOTR of TSPP. Both are on your want list. I just do not now how much playtime WPT it JD would get with the collection you have now.

#17 8 years ago

WPT has depth, but I found it was a game that didn't require much precision. You can score well just by banging away - those drop targets are going to get hit whether you aim for them or not. Knowing the rules makes it better, but it didn't make enough difference. (I also felt the same way about Spiderman so take my opinion however you like.) The lower price of WPT helps compensate it.

I agree with the suggestion to get a LOTR or TSPP for something that is more engaging with depth. They are more likely to last a long time in a home collection. Of those two, I prefer TSPP.

I've played JD but never owned it. It was fun but I don't have enough time on it to really comment. I've considered buying one to play for awhile.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

OT- I would add $1500-$2000ish and get a LOTR of TSPP. Both are on your want list. I just do not now how much playtime WPT it JD would get with the collection you have now.

thanks, I have pondered this. Not played WPT except a few games in an arcade. JD played a few games as well.

Looking at the gameplay video of WPT, just did not get me excited. Yes, it did look like a thinking mans type of game, but I'm more into action, super hero, blockbuster movies in my pins.

Played JD, was fun, but not sure if it was what I was looking for either.

In the end, I decided to not get either, unless I was made a super fantastic deal. It's not like I'm in love with either game.

I agree LOTR or TSPP would be more to my liking, have not liked either one in limited play but that was I think due to me just batting the ball around, I did not understand the rules or nuances which I think would greatly improve if I owned the games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-better-jd-or-wpt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.