(Topic ID: 84338)

What's better for a gameroom - Carpet or Hardwood?

By Bearded_Warrior

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What's better for a gameroom - Carpet or Hardwood?”

• Carpet 88 votes
      67%
    • Hardwood 25 votes
      19%
    • Other 18 votes
      14%

(131 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_2.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpeg
    shes-got-the-jimmy-legs-seinfeld.jpg
    DSCN2437.JPG
    Table, TV, Rack.jpg
    173436-i.jpg
    48782-i.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rosh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 10 years ago

My game room is clearly the exception, we have a 'frieze' which is basically a low shag. Very soft and easy on the feet (we require guess to have their shoes off) and also keeps the sound rich without echo and gives the room some warmth vs hardwood or industrial carpet. It is a good quality and once a pin is moved, the indent from the legs does disappear after a short amount of time. The big drawback is moving the machines is a little bit of a pain, but the reality is I don't move them often. It is easy enough to move a machine when you need to get between them. Part of the reason for the choice was that my daughter was a toddler at the time, so we wanted something that would be friendly for sitting and playing on the floor, which even though she is now a teenager, is still nice when families come over.

1 year later
    #60 8 years ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

Those bashing carpet should come to my place. We did a basement remodel two years ago and dropped some coin on the carpet and padding. It feels amazing under foot. A heavy, high quality pad with a firm, deep pile carpet is a great combination.

We have had a similar setup for over 10 years, the carpet (a frieze) still looks great (we do not allow shoes). We have a few parties each year without incident (almost all of the machines have a pin gulp). we have just a single stain that is barely noticeable (and that was when my daughter had a party and someone spilled orange crush and did not tell us). Moving machines is harder then on hardwood, but we don't move them too often and it is not that hard to do it (turning the lift cart with a machine on it a little tricky). After moving machines, the indent caused by the legs disappears after a couple of days.

I've seen some folks go with a hard surface and then put carpet strips in front of the games, that can easily be removed to move machines. Standing on a hard surface for long times can be tough on the body/back.

No flooring solution is going to be perfect, so you need to decide which attributes of a game room are most important to you. Ease of moving machines, comfort while playing, noise/echo reduction, cost, maintenance/clean-up, etc. Once you are clear on those things, will be easier to decide.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rosh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-better-for-a-gameroom-carpet-or-hardwood?tu=rosh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.