(Topic ID: 84338)

What's better for a gameroom - Carpet or Hardwood?

By Bearded_Warrior

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by someoneelse
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What's better for a gameroom - Carpet or Hardwood?”

• Carpet 88 votes
      68%
    • Hardwood 24 votes
      18%
    • Other 18 votes
      14%

(130 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_2.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpeg
    shes-got-the-jimmy-legs-seinfeld.jpg
    DSCN2437.JPG
    Table, TV, Rack.jpg
    173436-i.jpg
    48782-i.jpg

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago

Carpet is like a dirty sweater you can't properly clean. It is also antiquated.

#52 4 years ago

Those bashing carpet should come to my place. We did a basement remodel two years ago and dropped some coin on the carpet and padding. It feels amazing under foot. A heavy, high quality pad with a firm, deep pile carpet is a great combination.

One thing to keep in mind...if you're in a colder climate a concrete foundation is going to be cold in the winter. Wood flooring is going to conduct that cold right to your feet.

Our gameroom, even in the dead of winter, is comfortable in bare feet because of how well the pad and carpet insulates. We have a billiard table plus the pin. Plan on one re-level after it settles and you're all set. As for moving pins, the carpet sliders you get at the Home Depot work great.

#53 4 years ago

Recently did mine and went with tile however I don't think there is a right or wrong way to go. A lot depends on how you plan on using the room and what kinda feel you want it to give off. I have fish tanks and water tends to get on the floor so tile makes for an easy cleanup in my situation.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Recently did mine and went with tile however I don't think there is a right or wrong way to go. A lot depends on how you plan on using the room and what kinda feel you want it to give off. I have fish tanks and water tends to get on the floor so tile makes for an easy cleanup in my situation.
    20151004_212510-1.jpg

Tile looks nice, but has a few drawbacks.

The larger the tile, the easier it is to crack it. Drop a mug on a large tile and chances are you not only destroyed your mug, but the tile it hit too.

In colder climates it is no bueno in bare feet.

It does not have any give to it like wood or carpet. Standing on it for long periods of time is more fatiguing.

#55 4 years ago

A friend of mine has arcade blacklight carpet, and stopped hosting the local league because of beer spills and broken chips on the floor. Accidental (stuff happens when you have dozens of people over), but the pain-in-the-ass level was too high for him to continue dealing with it.

I've had beer spills and bottle breaks on my tile floor, and it's a quick mop up.

I did add a carpet runner in front of the machines to make standing easier.

#56 4 years ago

Carpwood. Best of both worlds!

#57 4 years ago

Don't buy the pool table and make room for more pins...

#58 4 years ago

I am considering painting/staining concrete. Anyone done this? I am curious how it holds up over time.

#59 4 years ago

Bacon.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

Those bashing carpet should come to my place. We did a basement remodel two years ago and dropped some coin on the carpet and padding. It feels amazing under foot. A heavy, high quality pad with a firm, deep pile carpet is a great combination.

We have had a similar setup for over 10 years, the carpet (a frieze) still looks great (we do not allow shoes). We have a few parties each year without incident (almost all of the machines have a pin gulp). we have just a single stain that is barely noticeable (and that was when my daughter had a party and someone spilled orange crush and did not tell us). Moving machines is harder then on hardwood, but we don't move them too often and it is not that hard to do it (turning the lift cart with a machine on it a little tricky). After moving machines, the indent caused by the legs disappears after a couple of days.

I've seen some folks go with a hard surface and then put carpet strips in front of the games, that can easily be removed to move machines. Standing on a hard surface for long times can be tough on the body/back.

No flooring solution is going to be perfect, so you need to decide which attributes of a game room are most important to you. Ease of moving machines, comfort while playing, noise/echo reduction, cost, maintenance/clean-up, etc. Once you are clear on those things, will be easier to decide.

#61 4 years ago

Building separate gameroom on a slab from scratch. I'm going with plank tile textured to look like wood. Very durable. I'll run a small rug in front of the pins for comfort.

#62 4 years ago

I have carpet with sliders on all the games.....works great.

#63 4 years ago

I have foam carpet tiles in my garage. If I did it again I might use cheapo no-padding. Half my games are in a game room with a hard floor and I don't like it as much. I'm under my games frequently enough whether leveling, moving games, fetching tools, etc. that the hard floor gets uncomfortable.

#64 4 years ago

By basement/Gamerom is large tiles but I have rugs where needed. Games are on the tile and I have the feet with plastic bottoms so I can slide games around easily which I like.

#65 4 years ago

I don't have a preference either way. Most of my games are in the basement, and I like a carpet in a basement personally.
    I have a game upstairs on wood and it's great.

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Tile looks nice, but has a few drawbacks.
    The larger the tile, the easier it is to crack it. Drop a mug on a large tile and chances are you not only destroyed your mug, but the tile it hit too.

That should only be the case if they are not installed with enough accuracy. It's crucial to be 100% precise and use appropriate fiber reinforced adhesive. Large tiles are not for hobby craftsmen, they need to be installed by professionals with extensive experience.

I've got 50" x 50" tiles in the "public areas" (living & dining room, fireplace, pool area) of the house since many years and unsealed oiled wooden floors in the "private areas" (bedrooms, homeoffice, etc.). The tiles have taken hits by dropped arcade control panels, mugs, bottles etc. and show no damage at all. In a few months I'll be updating the gameroom with large tiles, to.

At least the wood we used is much more delicate, dropping a mug on it will immediately lead to nicks or dents.

Carpet is not really very common in Europe any more. It's just way to unhygienic, produces dust and often looks kind of cheap. When I think about how often stuff get's spilled on the floor in the gameroom it would be really disgusting to have a carpet there. I also wouldn't want to be Mr. Anal forcing grown up guests to take off their shoes in that area.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Rubber/Silicone
    Scandinavian Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 64.95
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 169.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    MicksPinball
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 18.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.00
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside