(Topic ID: 104770)

What do you prefer, The Avengers LE or Transformers LE?

By rai

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Eskaybee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What's better?”

• Transformers LE 74 votes
    57%
  • Avengers LE 55 votes
    43%

(129 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

transformer.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 9 years ago

Both have their problems & both usually need massive amounts of tweaking to get playing well, but I'd have to go with AVLE. More unique playfield, more satisfying shots...both suffer from "shoot shots a million times" rules, but AV feels more like a cohesive story flow. Color Changing GI is cool. Toys are better. Hulk is cool & funny, and if you get the modded cube - that looks awesome. AV's dots are way better...TF movie clips are barely legible. Both have great music, though. TF's "pick a side" concept is cool.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

I've played and like the AVLE-G version and it's a cool game, but I love TFLE-C. Game looks and plays fast and awesome. Hopefully someday someone colorizes the DMD.

Impossible on TF with the movie clips. Avengers could be colorized, though.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Transformers over Avengers by a mile.
If Avengers had the movie cast voices, then it'd be different.
I hate it when people say Transformers is the same shots over and over. Every pinball has so many shots to shoot. For Avengers, it takes like 5 shots to light one of the Avengers.

For the record, TF has fake voices mixed in with the movie voices. Fake Optimus is terrible. Fake Megatron doesn't match, but it's alright. Fake Starscream is pretty dead on, though.

Sure, every game has lots of shots to shoot...but, TF gets shit for "same shots over and over" because there really isn't anything else compelling about the game. The toys aren't interesting, there aren't any divertors or subways to mix things up, the targets & captive ball are relatively useless, there aren't many interesting gameplay strategies...so really all it has is "shoot shoot shoot, start mode....shoot shoot shoot finish mode" It's not terrible or anything, but it's monotonous...other games use their layout, features & code in more interesting and organic ways. Avengers suffers from being monotonous, too. That's one area where they're kind of equal. A good game can last a really long time, and those lengthy games can get boring. Unfortunately for any game that tries to be long-play/deeps style - I can only compare them to LOTR and TSPP - long/deep games that remain compelling and surprising 45 minutes in.

So - in a sense, TF and AV are very similar in how they make me feel over a lengthy game. If you're going to choose one or the other, I think it really comes down to which layout, toys, and theme you prefer.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

While I agree that AV looks better this also gets a lot of dispute. Some absolutely hate the "Christmas tree" lighting of the LE o AV. Some like the red and purple theme of TF while others think it's to dark. With that said, I don't think either got decent artwork as both are a bit disappointing in that regard.

Both are using style guide assets, so they're not going to win any originality awards...that being said, AVLE looks better in person, IMO. Much cleaner, clearer. The Christmas Tree lighting is easily resolved by replacing the greens with warm white. Game lighting looks great once you ditch the green GI (although I kept green GI behind Hulk...looks good).

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well in Ironhide mode it becomes a little PF that you use the buttons to shake back and forth, keeping the ball moving and scoring points; Some people find it boring or uninteresting. Some people think it's the lamest toy in pinball, but they're probably just trolls whom haven't played a "dialed in" one.
The Pro is just a ramp.

It's pretty lame, even when dialed in. I was playing a Pro on location the other day...I definitely like the speed of the Pro ramps vs. the LE ramps...but I think the LE looks way better with the Autobot metal right ramp & Starscream in the left corner. It's also nice that the LE has another controlled gate so the right orbit loops around sometimes instead of always going to the pops. Oh well, whatcha gonna do.

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

TF has been one of the biggest crowd pleasers amongst guests as it's rule sheet is straight forward and easily understandable. Plus the sounds, music, effects are over the top excellent! I still want to play a pro someday! Who has one in so cal for me to try?

There's one on location at Meltdown Comics. It's dirty and has Megatron trough issues...but otherwise plays decently.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I was curious, if someone could explain how much TF is like LOTR? I mean are they same/similar layouts/shots?

Zero. You could say they're both "fan layouts" but that really means nothing in terms of how the games play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

arcade-cabinets.com

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-better-avengers-le-or-transformers-le?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.