Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by nickbuol
  • Topic is favorited by 45 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

29 (resized).jpg
    25 (resized).jpg
    28 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1396 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1393 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1392 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1381 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7370 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7368 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1375 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1374 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1373 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1358 (resized).JPG
    Indy 500 (resized).png
    acdc (resized).jpg
    f (resized).jpg
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 6 years ago

Ohhh nooooo.
    Yesterday it said MULTIBALL MADNESS

IMG_1396 (resized).JPGIMG_1396 (resized).JPG

#102 6 years ago

I can never get this to work any time I've ever tried but that was years ago. Will vpx work on a horizontal monitor or is it strictly for vertical play?

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from Beerpressure:

I can never get this to work any time I've ever tried but that was years ago. Will vpx work on a horizontal monitor or is it strictly for vertical play?

You can play on desktop, VPX has allowed the same table to play both in a cab and desktop so you don't need different versions of the tables now.

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from Beerpressure:

Toxie, one of the developers, published an all in one installer, that is supposed to simplify the install process. It can be found here.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11573

You may have to created an ID and PW and join the forum to be able to download it.

I've done manual installs and updates for years so I haven't used it, but it's spoken of highly. Be sure to move the scroll bar down on the top right side of the download page, to see the links for reference/additional files to update the install.
    Rich

#105 6 years ago

damn afew years back i set up a vp9 system with the intention to build a mini cab but lost interest, might have to look into this again with VPX looks nice.

1 month later
    #106 6 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

just as complicated as it was 10 years ago
    TheManFromPOST

Not certain about 10 years ago, but I've got mine up and running pretty well with limited time spent.

3 weeks later
    #107 6 years ago

So I built my first cab in 2009, kept it upgraded throughout the years and then lost interest in it for a few years. The new VPX tables look amazing. I was thinking of upgrading my cab with new hardware. I have a machine I got from work that's pretty beefy. Intel I7 Quad 4930K 3.40mhz with 32 Gb ram, Nvidia GTX Titan Black video card. Should this be adiquate to run the latest VPX tables? Also since its a new build do you suggest Win7 or Win 10.

Thanks for your help, excited to get this table running again.

28 (resized).jpg28 (resized).jpg

25 (resized).jpg25 (resized).jpg

29 (resized).jpg29 (resized).jpg

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from kemper:

So I built my first cab in 2009, kept it upgraded throughout the years and then lost interest in it for a few years. The new VPX tables look amazing. I was thinking of upgrading my cab with new hardware. I have a machine I got from work that's pretty beefy. Intel I7 Quad 4930K 3.40mhz with 32 Gb ram, Nvidia GTX Titan Black video card. Should this be adiquate to run the latest VPX tables? Also since its a new build do you suggest Win7 or Win 10.
    Thanks for your help, excited to get this table running again.

I'm new to this, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I'm running an i5 with only 4gb RAM right now on Windows 10 pretty smoothly. I haven’t engaged Pinballx yet, so that may force me into another 4 GB, but sounds as though your system is indeed beefy enough.

I'd go Windows 10 as I've seen threads where Windows 7 caused a few hiccups.

Nice build by the way

#109 6 years ago

Thanks Ron. That cab was back in the day when we barley figured out how to get a 3rd screen to work for the DMD. Since then Ive rebuilt the hardware twice on it. VP 9 games run nice on it so I may create a whole new cab for VPX. I'll try windows 10 out and see how it goes.

#110 6 years ago

That is more than enough beef! My 960 runs everything fine. I had windows 7 for a while and moved to 10. What button encoder are you using? You will just want to confirm support for that.

7 months later
    #111 5 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Last image, but just to show you what 2 talented guys can do with the new features in VPX. One guy modelled all of the toys from scratch. Phenominal and really fun to play.

How do you get such a level of photo realism? When i load a table they don't look as "real" i am using VPX and my graphics card is more than strong enough to produce that level of detail, but is there something i have to set within Visual Pinball for it to give that depth and realistic look?

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from ShadowFlame76:

How do you get such a level of photo realism? When i load a table they don't look as "real" i am using VPX and my graphics card is more than strong enough to produce that level of detail, but is there something i have to set within Visual Pinball for it to give that depth and realistic look?

What kind of screen do you have? 4K has become a real treat in regards to realism.

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from nickbuol:

What kind of screen do you have? 4K has become a real treat in regards to realism.

It's a 24" ASUS VH242H LED Monitor. I suppose that could be a reason.

#114 5 years ago

Visual pinball tables always look better in photos rather than in real life. The 2d image hides the lack of 3d. Take a photo of your screen and have a look.

#115 5 years ago

That's where 3D head tracking comes in... unfortunately I don't think anyone has developed it yet for VP (just future pinball and PBA).

#116 5 years ago

Yeah, no 3D for Visual Pinball, and the other systems aren't very good for other reasons (bad physics, etc). Someday maybe we will get the best of everything and VP will go to 3D models of playfields to allow the option for head tracking, and still have the better gameplay, but until then, if you want 3D you have to go with one of the other systems.

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from wfumed2:

That's where 3D head tracking comes in... unfortunately I don't think anyone has developed it yet for VP (just future pinball and PBA).

They haven't.

#118 5 years ago

Alright, good to know that I am not crazy. I downloaded a "Diner VPX" table from VPForums and it looks really good. I guess it also depends on how much work the author puts into the table recreation.

#119 5 years ago

In VP if you have a good Graphics card, In video options make sure both items in Ambient Occlusion are checked, and quality FXAA is selected. But most of all set you monitor to the highest resolution it supports to get the best rendering.

1 year later
    #120 4 years ago
    Quoted from RYSR:

Flipper lag is a symptom under-powered PC hardware.
    The hardware requirements for VPX is much higher then the VP9 versions. To get good resolution and flipper performance on a Cabinet with a large screen you will need a beefy rig. I would advise at least a fast I5 processor,4-8gb ram and a fast Nvidia card say a GTX9000 series or higher.
    VPX version 10.3 has been released. The table releases just keep looking better all the time, very realistic. Depending on the authors tuning of the physics, some play very close to the real pin's.
    I know that it's never as good as the real pin, but the recently released Monster Bash shown above is one of those with good physics tuning. I used to own the pin and this one is very similar play wise.
    Rich

Personally it really depends on TV vs monitor to reduce lag a monitor will always be better... And always try to use a display port instead of HDMI if possible. BTW the FastFlips script for VPX helps as well.

10 months later
    #121 3 years ago

Just bought a pinscape controller and installed pinball Y.
    Man pinball y is an awesome front end and I love how it links up to ipdb for table info and you can search within the it for the media packs and drag and drop it in the front end and it immediately loads. It truly is an amazing program.

Makes loading games so fast and easy and looks amazing.

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from nickbuol:

Yeah, no 3D for Visual Pinball, and the other systems aren't very good for other reasons (bad physics, etc). Someday maybe we will get the best of everything and VP will go to 3D models of playfields to allow the option for head tracking, and still have the better gameplay, but until then, if you want 3D you have to go with one of the other systems.

That's not true anymore, There is now a VR version of Visual Pinball, it's still a work in progress, but the results are amazing. You feel like your standing in front of a real machine. An added benefit is that the response time on the VR Headset is much faster than a HDTV or computer monitor so the flipper delay is pretty much ( depending on your hardware)gone! Amazing stuff!!

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from RYSR:

That's not true anymore, There is now a VR version of Visual Pinball, it's still a work in progress, but the results are amazing. You feel like your standing in front of a real machine. An added benefit is that the response time on the VR Headset is much faster than a HDTV or computer monitor so the flipper delay is pretty much ( depending on your hardware)gone! Amazing stuff!!

You do realize that you are responding to something that was posted over a year ago, right? Things have changed quite a bit for VR. It still isn't perfect, like you mention, but has come a long way even in the last couple of months.

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-best-in-visual-pinball-today/page/3?hl=shadowflame76 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.