2012-08-28_20-34-40_660.jpg
2012-08-28_20-40-39_469.jpg
2012-08-28_20-35-46_230.jpg
2012-08-28_20-45-00_761.jpg
2012-08-28_20-45-38_960.jpg
2012-08-28_20-26-43_722_copy.jpg
2012-08-28_20-25-43_841_copy.jpg
2012-08-28_20-25-20_918_copy.jpg
There are 368 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.
#201 8 years ago

1951 THING (CHICAGO COIN. . .yes, Chicago Coin)
I preface my selection of the most under-the-radar pinball machine with the disclosure that I am partial to EMs. However, I appreciate games from each era. Indeed, in my 25+ years of collecting, I have owned (and continue to own) games from the 1930s through modern production games (e.g. Wizard of Oz) and every decade in between. With that said, my vote goes to Chicago Coin's 1951 enigmatic woodrail THING, sporting fantastic Roy Parker art and terrific gameplay. For a full description of why I consider THING to be outstanding, please see the corresponding article appended to my Pinside profile. An excerpt of that article (describing THING's remarkable audio feature) is cut and pasted below. This section refers to the game's inspiration, a popular song which topped the charts the year before the game's release:

The song was performed in 1950 by Charles Randolf Green. The Phil Harris version is the best known. You may enjoy listening to the Phil Harris version, which is available on YouTube. Many other vocalists have recorded the song, included Ray Charles in 1963. Wikipedia's blurb is below:

The lyrics take the form of a first-person narration, describing the discovery on a beach of a box. Whatever is in the box is never revealed, nor is it called "The Thing" in the lyrics. When the lyrics call for The Thing to be named, the vocals simply pause for three percussive knocks. For example, the first verse ends, "I discovered a [* **], right before my eyes!" (The knocks [* **] are unequally spaced, occurring on counts 1,3 and 4 of the song's 6/8 meter. The listener could substitute any three-syllable phrase his imagination might invent, such as "dog-gone thing".)

The audio associated with the THING point score is remarkable. There are two upper pop bumpers mimicking the boom, boom, boom punch line of the song. . . very clever. The ads for the game called them "boom bumpers." The words "boom-boom-boom" are screened onto the playfield at the upper pop bumpers. It seems that the designers intended to cause a three-beat percussive effect here by creating a quarter-note, followed by a sixteenth note couplet, creating a three hit audio effect. I know of no other electromechanical pinball machine which incorporates such an ingenious audio design. I have discussed this audio effect with renowned pinball designer, John Osborne (Haunted House, Hit the Deck among many others). John states that the score motor has one cam whose points will clearly operate its switch in the aforesaid rhythm. While inspecting a THING score motor, John declared: "I was surprised to see that when rebuilding the motor unit and knew at once that it had to be done to imitate the song." Moreover, the mystery box kicker hole arguably creates the triple boom audio effect as well, confirming the intention of the designer to incorporate the song, which inspired the game, into the player's audio experience.

Initially, the song's narrator is overjoyed by his discovery of the mystery box and tries to sell it. Instead, he is thrown out by a proprietor with a threat to call the police. Undaunted, the narrator decides to give it to his wife, who also kicks him out and demands that he never return with it. Then, the narrator takes it to a brave hobo, who flees at the sight of the box. Going through life unable to rid himself of the Thing, the narrator dies and arrives in heaven. There, Saint Peter directs him to take it "down below" to hell. In the final verse, the narrator warns the listener to refrain from opening boxes on the beach.

Perhaps THING's mystery box is a metaphor for pinball collectors. Nobody wants the mystery box. . .not the man's wife, not the vagabond, not Saint Peter, not even Lucifer himself. The reaction of these would-be gift recipients may be familiar to some readers of this article. Imagine the expression on your spouse's face as you "gift" to her your next pinball machine acquisition. Don't be surprised if a "Keep Out Of Here" insert mysteriously illuminates on your porch, a metallic gate suddenly lowers to barricade your door, and you're banished, with your new machine to that place south of your man cave. For many of us pinball enthusiasts, we would be pleased to be flipping away in just about any afterlife venue, as long as the line-up includes our favorite games. For me, that line-up will include a whimsical machine called "THING," which is everyTHING that a pinball machine ought to be.
2012-08-28_20-25-20_918 copy.jpg2012-08-28_20-25-20_918 copy.jpg
2012-08-28_20-25-43_841 copy.jpg2012-08-28_20-25-43_841 copy.jpg
2012-08-28_20-26-43_722 copy.jpg2012-08-28_20-26-43_722 copy.jpg
2012-08-28_20-45-38_960.jpg2012-08-28_20-45-38_960.jpg
2012-08-28_20-45-00_761.jpg2012-08-28_20-45-00_761.jpg
2012-08-28_20-35-46_230.jpg2012-08-28_20-35-46_230.jpg
2012-08-28_20-40-39_469.jpg2012-08-28_20-40-39_469.jpg
2012-08-28_20-34-40_660.jpg2012-08-28_20-34-40_660.jpg

#202 8 years ago

Gilligan's Island
Baywatch
RBION

7 months later
#203 7 years ago

Wheel of fortune...

#204 7 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Gilligan's Island
Baywatch
RBION

Dude, great minds think alike! I own all three and 100% agree. I love so called " boat anchors "( check my collection.)
GI is absolutely my first love and when dialled in, surprises the most narrow minded. It is meant to be FUN after all.

#205 7 years ago

Pinside ratings for the most part are a joke. Most laud the newer games, fun or not, many just go along with the popular perception of the moment.

#206 7 years ago

24 with a shaker motor. It has an awesome layout with a wide open playfield and great shots. Not a bunch of toys-but sometimes less is more.

#207 7 years ago

Hook! Lots of fun shots and combos, great light show, and when you hit bangarang, you know it is on! LEDs really help the game.

#208 7 years ago
#209 7 years ago

There doesn't seem to be much love for Demolition Man. It's a great machine with tons of ramps, flow, 5 multiball modes, and it's a widebody! Opinions vary in the alternative trigger handle flipper buttons, but I think they're a lot of fun. The playfield isn't the most fun to strip down for a shop job, but it's a lot of fun to play!

#210 7 years ago
Quoted from daddyxxx:

I played rollergames about 2 month ago and couldn't believe what a great game it was, one of the better system 11

Not suprising...it IS a Steve Ritchie pin after all.

#211 7 years ago

Looking at Mustang pro currently rated in the 170's. So defiantly for me Mustang I think it's a blast .

#212 7 years ago

I love me some LW3. I always get a game or two on it. It happens to be the lowest rated game I have and the one that cost me the least, go figure

#213 7 years ago

JUNKYARD because it is rated so poorly among its contemporaries (MM, AFM, TOTAN, CV, etc). Building junk into equipment to challenge Crazy Bob in Outer Space (the wizard mode) is very good. Video mode is too repetitive, though.

#214 7 years ago

I love the underrated games. I have a Gottlieb Hot Shots and a Gold Wings. Both are very underrated games that can be had for a decent price.

#215 7 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Hook! Lots of fun shots and combos, great light show, and when you hit bangarang, you know it is on! LEDs really help the game.

Agree and the sound for the game is awesome

#216 7 years ago

Big list

Apollo 13 - lots to do, 13 ball must be experienced
Tommy with pinsound re-orchestration - I feel like Tommy playing this game.
Jurassic Park with Rom update - game is great to play and mod
Last Action Hero - lot's to do; fast game; Good movie adaptation
Baby Pacman - I teach a few people how to play and it gets played continuously all night.
WhoDunnit! - so different, fun; great shots including the novel elevator ramp
Roadshow - there is so much to do here! All fun shots! Red and Ted are great!
Elvis - A blast to play!; Great rules and pacing; Beauty game too
Bride of Pinbot - Great theme and you just have to make her transform or you are coming back for another!

I enjoy these games every time I play them. Best fun per buck value for me!

Allgood

1 week later
#217 7 years ago

Elvis another great game and cool lay out

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from jecase:

JUNKYARD because it is rated so poorly among its contemporaries (MM, AFM, TOTAN, CV, etc). Building junk into equipment to challenge Crazy Bob in Outer Space (the wizard mode) is very good. Video mode is too repetitive, though.

JY is a terrible game. It can't be underrated.

#220 7 years ago

Hardbody get's my vote. Given the price/fun value it might be the last game to leave my collection.

#221 7 years ago

No one has mentioned Dirty Harry yet? Criminally overlooked!

2a5e76111a3e92af59763b0157a3383f6e82bfcd_(resized).jpg2a5e76111a3e92af59763b0157a3383f6e82bfcd_(resized).jpg

#222 7 years ago

What do you mean by under rated? Under rated to who? If I rate a game low, then to me it is. Are we talking about how another person rates a game?

If you are talking about the pinside rating system, then that is as over rated as is gets. Those rating lists are only as those that monitor them want them to be.

#223 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What do you mean by under rated?

Whoa...look at this old fossil over here.

#224 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Whoa...look at this old fossil over here.

That's about how I feel waiting for my game ratings to be accepted by the pinside staff. Pinside ratings to me have been a waste of time. The list is total BS.

Go by your own ratings or you may end up buying some $10,000 turd just because it's been manipulated to the top of the ranking list.

images_(resized).jpgimages_(resized).jpg

#225 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The list is total BS.

Matter of perspective. GB is rated #18...now sure is it the 18th best SS+ game of all time of course not. But, is it the 18th best game to the current group of Pinball idiots that litter Pinside? Perhaps. You realize it's called the "Pinside 100," not "Top 100 Pinball Rankings" for a reason.

#226 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You realize it's called the "Pinside 100," not "Top 100 Pinball Rankings" for a reason.

That I understand. And at one time I was proud to be a member. But lately I feel like putting my memborship badge back in the cracker jack box it came out of.

Carry on...

#227 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

But lately I feel like putting my memborship badge back in the cracker jack box it came out

Oh it's a dumpster fire for sure.

#228 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Carry on...

In better news my 76 Royal Flush rehab is coming along well. Just screwing in the top side after some re-painting, and then an adjustment or 2 and it should be playing great; pumped up!

That's an underrated game as much as most in this thread anyway.

#229 7 years ago

I love me some Royal Flush.

#230 7 years ago

+4 for Gladiators. I'm still shocked that game doesn't get a lot of love on the ratings.

#231 7 years ago
Quoted from Allgood:

Apollo 13 - lots to do, 13 ball must be experienced

A13 does have a lot going on, but there's so many shots that it feels very tight. Still a great game.

#232 7 years ago

Have I mentioned Black Hole in this thread yet? Great art, really hard Multiball, unique gameplay, cool sound, infinity back glass with chaser lights, true classic not even in the Pinside top 100 ... Oh, of course I have. Carry on.

#233 7 years ago

It doesn't even get the decency of an underlined Pinside hyperlink thingy. BH points to Big Hurt, which nobody really cares about.

Edit: oooh the pop up has been updated to include Black Hole! Thanks Robin! Hah.

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

BH points to Big Hurt, which nobody really cares about.

FYI my Big Hurt outlasted the #1 game on the pinside list by over two years. About the same amount of time you've waited for your re-issue if I remember correctly. And it was a much tougher decision to let Big Hurt go.

th_(resized).jpgth_(resized).jpg

#235 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Have I mentioned Black Hole in this thread yet? Great art, really hard Multiball, unique gameplay, cool sound, infinity back glass with chaser lights, true classic not even in the Pinside top 100 ... Oh, of course I have. Carry on.

When dialed in well, that's a terrific pin and really hard, but fun as well. Some day I'll own one, been close once twice. I remember being 14 at seeing it cost 50 cents when other pins were a quarter and a handful still a quarter for 2 games. That was a lot of money for me then. At first I thought it was all about getting the ball to the lower playfield and although that's a huge factor it's not the only one. This game took a lot of my money and easily in the top 5 of any solid state Gottliebs IMO.

#236 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

JY is a terrible game. It can't be underrated.

Owned one and really like it. Not the greatest B/W ever made but loved shooting toast with a junkyard gun, the humor and the rules. I can understand why some don't like it as if set to easy can be fairly easy to beat and after you've done that a few times can get old. Set it to hard, good incline and waxed well and a very good game IMO. My family loved it, alas I have room for only 4 pins so have to let even the ones I really like go eventually.

#237 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

FYI my Big Hurt outlasted the #1 game on the pinside list by over two years. About the same amount of time you've waited for your re-issue if I remember correctly. And it was a much tougher decision to let Big Hurt go.

Well, I switched to WOZRR and couldn't be happier. Had the game on my doorstep within 48 hours of telling Jack to switch me over. It came just in time for my daughter's 8th birthday party. She loves that movie and loves the game. (Another candidate for most underrated, but I don't want to seem like a shill or start a flame war).

#238 7 years ago

Avatar, can you get to the final battle in one ball? I bet not.

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Well, I switched to WOZRR and couldn't be happier. Had the game on my doorstep within 48 hours of telling Jack to switch me over. It came just in time for my daughter's 8th birthday party. She loves that movie and loves the game. (Another candidate for most underrated, but I don't want to seem like a shill or start a flame war).

That's pretty cool. I had kind of noticed you had got off the MMr hype train a while back. Waiting as long as most did would have killed the excitement for me altogether. People's tastes can change a lot in that amount of time. I know mine have.

I've kind of been on the lookout for a nice Black Hole myself lately. Almost bought one once but it was a basketcase.

My daughter has a lot of say in what games I keep around here. I like to keep her enthused too. Plus someday they may end up hers. She has never seen a pinball rating list. But her opinions weigh strongly on mine.

#240 7 years ago

These three for sure
Shot of the crate before Melony was mounted

DSCN1381_(resized).JPGDSCN1381_(resized).JPG

#241 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Hardbody get's my vote. Given the price/fun value it might be the last game to leave my collection.

Seconded! I wish the local barcade would turn the sound up on theirs because the score is jammin. It's just such a fun, weird experience and when you get in the flow it's totally rad.

2 months later
#242 7 years ago

Sega X-files and Data East Secret Service. As a matter of fact, pretty much all of the Sega/Data East lineup.

#243 7 years ago

Gottlieb Circus is a great game but is very seldom mentioned when talking about good playing and looking pins.

#244 7 years ago

NBA Fastbreak

#245 7 years ago

No Fear

#246 7 years ago

LCA (lights camera action) many modes and achieving the main goal or 4 of a kind is no easy task

#248 7 years ago

Jackbot is a great game that can be found for about $2k.

#249 7 years ago
#250 7 years ago

Flintstones and RS

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 368 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-a-really-under-rated-pinball-machine/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.