Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by perry1670
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20231205_215544071 (resized).jpg
    20230908_085511 (resized).jpg
    20230908_085440 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230901_003420397.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230901_003427996 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230901_003437588 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230901_003522261 (resized).jpg
    41mYV1ZrFYL._AC_ (resized).jpg
    6936A1FB-59B1-40B8-B98C-B1A9E4502DC7 (resized).jpeg
    FD48B29C-9478-4BAC-B348-5ADED22BD59E (resized).jpeg
    3863A47D-0A7B-4249-9A83-CC14F43BC1DE (resized).jpeg
    crimper (resized).jpg

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I looked all over and cannot find my Molex connector tool. What do you guys use & where did you buy from? Thanks

#2 5 years ago

Genuine Molex brand tools will run you several hundred $$.

Everything here depends on your definition of 'good'.
    Excellent ones are the Sargent tools 3100 series crimpers as found here:
    https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=80
    3136-CT is awesome due to the tools locator. The locator holds the contact at the right position and includes proper wire stop.

Decent crimpers would be something like the Sargent 1000 series such as the 1026-CT.

Soso crimpers would be the Waldom W-HT-19xx as found here:
    https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=59
    Some people swear by the Waldoms... other people swear at the Waldoms.

There are some Chinese brands that people will be adding to the thread but I don't use any of those.

#3 5 years ago

I got this from Ed ( G-P-E https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/ ) And am glad I did.

Thanks Ed !

crimper (resized).jpgcrimper (resized).jpg
    #4 5 years ago

I use the Waldoms. They aren’t great but work and fit nicely in my belt kit. Also being inexpensive I won’t be sad if I ever misplace it while out and about.

Been wanting to get a better tool such as the 3100 series for the bench though, I think I will while thinking about it now.

#5 5 years ago

After looking for it off & on for 3 days & posting here... I found it!

Thanks guys!

3863A47D-0A7B-4249-9A83-CC14F43BC1DE (resized).jpeg3863A47D-0A7B-4249-9A83-CC14F43BC1DE (resized).jpeg
    #7 5 years ago

That looks nice, Cheddar . I've had good luck with the "engineer inc" branded ones:

https://www.amazon.com/Engineer-PA-20-Universal-Terminal-Crimping/dp/B002AVVO7U/ref=sr_1_1

https://www.amazon.com/Engineer-PA-09-Micro-Connector-Crimpers/dp/B002AVVO7K/ref=pd_bxgy_469_2

But with these you can only do half the crimp at a time - one for the conductor and one for the insulation.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H and model S Skee Ball

5 months later
    #8 4 years ago

What do I need to re-do this wire? Thanks :/

FD48B29C-9478-4BAC-B348-5ADED22BD59E (resized).jpegFD48B29C-9478-4BAC-B348-5ADED22BD59E (resized).jpeg
    #9 4 years ago

Those require a punch down tool

https://www.amazon.ca/Stanz-Impact-Punch-Spring-Impact-Twist-Lock/dp/B01BUUZWNS/ref=sr_1_6

6936A1FB-59B1-40B8-B98C-B1A9E4502DC7 (resized).jpeg6936A1FB-59B1-40B8-B98C-B1A9E4502DC7 (resized).jpeg

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballConspiracy:

What do I need to re-do this wire? Thanks :/[quoted image]

Throw it in the trash and get molex connectors and a good crimp tool.

#11 4 years ago

When buying a crimp tool:

RULE #1: ALWAYS buy ratcheting.
    RULE #2: See rule #1.

I switched to ratcheting about 4 years ago, and they are sooooooooo much easier to use. They don't make a better crimp, but they are definitely a god-send as far as ease of use.

I bought mine on WISH for about $16 shipped.

#12 4 years ago

Ive found that in the last few years the truly only way to make these early 1980ish pinballs bullet proof os to repin all connectors. Truly a pain in the ass but the end results are a game that plays properly and for decades the connectors will be a non issue.
    I wish they made a handheld wire cutter /crimper with pins that self fed as they were used.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Excellent ones are the Sargent tools 3100 series crimpers as found here:
    3136-CT is awesome due to the tools locator. The locator holds the contact at the right position and includes proper wire stop.

For classic Bally/Stern I have the 3135-CT for 0.1" and 3136-CT for .156". These tools are so good they are almost fun to use.

#15 4 years ago

I use the 1028 that Ed sells. I would avoid any single pivot tool and go for a multipivot or ratcheting unit.

#16 4 years ago

I will always keep one of those in my tool pouch when on the road since it works, is light and doesn’t take up too much room and is cheap enough i will not feel bad if it gets lost. But it gets to be a pain when dealing with anything more than a few pins. Best to have something nicer for home. Who says you can only have one crimper?

2 years later
    #17 2 years ago

I know I am reviving this old thread but wondering if anybody has the actual Molex Crimper model #s handy.
    My google Jedi skills are failing me.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

wondering if anybody has the actual Molex Crimper model #s handy.

LTG : )

#19 2 years ago

thanks LTG!
    Are these Sargent tools a copy of the actual molex tool or are these what molex used back in the day?
    Do they make an OEM crimp or is it like a close enough OEM crimp?

I currently have a set of IWISS crimpers. They work very well and I have tested the crimps with dumbbells over 20lb until the crimp fails but I am always wondering if the crimps could be better than this. If they can, then I would interested in the Sargent tool or an OEM Molex Crimper.

#20 2 years ago

Earlier this year, I picked up one of these, works great. Much better and more efficient than the one I linked to in an earlier post .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FR38529/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_309MJSZ5FZMD1M42EN3S

#21 2 years ago

It would be nice if they made a tool that would be handheld and auto feed a crimp ready to go. If the tool also stripped wire that would be great as well. What a timesaver.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Earlier this year, I picked up one of these, works great. Much better and more efficient than the one I linked to in an earlier post .
    amazon.com link »

I have one that looks like that but made by iwiss. I would say the crimp is 80-90% perfect lol 100% of the time. Lo

I want an OEM crimp, gas tight (all the wires compacted as per OEM testing) which will guarantee the same crimp every time and as per their testing the connector should last.

Probably overkill for our need but I dont want to deal with cheap tools. The iwiss was and is ok, but it requires a learning period. Also, as per my testing, what it might look like a good crimp does not survive a tug test as light a 5lbs. So it needs to be tuned and sometimes you need to use the wrong size die to get a good crimp.
    I have it all tested out so I know what size to use for each connector, but I am no longer interested in putting up with experimentarions, I just want an OEM crimp.

Wondering if these Sargent tools provide OEM crimp? Or are these a Molex knockoff?

@ltg

#23 2 years ago

I have one that looks like that but made by iwiss. I would say the crimp is 80-90% perfect lol 100% of the time. Lo
    I want an OEM crimp, gas tight (all the wires compacted as per OEM testing) which will guarantee the same crimp every time and as per their testing the connector should last.
    Probably overkill for our need but I dont want to deal with cheap tools. The iwiss was and is ok, but it requires a learning period. Also, as per my testing, what it might look like a good crimp does not survive a tug test as light a 5lbs. So it needs to be tuned and sometimes you need to use the wrong size die to get a good crimp.
    I have it all tested out so I know what size to use for each connector, but I am no longer interested in putting up with experimentarions, I just want an OEM crimp.
    Wondering if these Sargent tools provide OEM crimp? Or are these a Molex knockoff?
    LTG

i think they all basically come out of the same factory with different brands on them. There likely are some higher end tools that don't, but my guess is most in the $20-50 range do. The tool I linked to has the same issues that you highlighted.

#24 2 years ago

Having done thousands of crimps with my iwiss now I tried to think about it impartially. Although I have trained myself to put the crimps into the iwiss in a way to get perfect crimps (almost) every time, it is harder to do when working in a backbox. Seeing the cost difference is in the 10s of dollars I wonder if a better crimper would make it easier. I also wonder if I have thousands more crimps to do

#25 2 years ago

LTG

I own one of each. An actual molex for .156 pins and a Sargent for .100 pins. They both work EXACTLY the same. I also went thru about 10 different crimpers over the years and finally decided to spend the money.

SPEND THE MONEY! I found it to be a night and day difference. The factory crimper does such a better job aligning and crimping both the front and back at the same time is wonderful. The one crimper I had was like the iswiss and I found the pins would roll a bit when crimping leaving a less desirable crimp and some it would be defective. No such trouble with the molex/Sargent.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tallon:

I own one of each. An actual molex for .156 pins and a Sargent for .100 pins. They both work EXACTLY the same. I also went thru about 10 different crimpers over the years and finally decided to spend the money.
    SPEND THE MONEY! I found it to be a night and day difference. The factory crimper does such a better job aligning and crimping both the front and back at the same time is wonderful. The one crimper I had was like the iswiss and I found the pins would roll a bit when crimping leaving a less desirable crimp and some it would be defective. No such trouble with the molex/Sargent.

This is the feedback I was looking for.

Is the Sargent ok with 14-20awg connectors or is there a limit? This is for .156

I am planning on getting .156 , .100 and .093 so I can cover 95% of the crimps in both williams and Stern

I think I will delegate the Iwiss to 0.062 but it does an awful job with these. Can’t never get a strong crimp.

Might just get them all? Mind you 0.062 is not user much ans things that are used for are/can be allowed to fail.

#27 2 years ago

I have the one from Great Plains and a ratcheting one.

With KISS, EK and EBD all awaiting restoration, I'm lookin forward to trying out the ratcheting one. I bought it immediately after the last classic Bally Strikes and Spares restoration. LOL.

#28 2 years ago

This is the feedback I was looking for.
    Is the Sargent ok with 14-20awg connectors or is there a limit? This is for .156
    I am planning on getting .156 , .100 and .093 so I can cover 95% of the crimps in both williams and Stern
    I think I will delegate the Iwiss to 0.062 but it does an awful job with these. Can’t never get a strong crimp.
    Might just get them all? Mind you 0.062 is not user much ans things that are used for are/can be allowed to fail.

I’ll have to look tonight. I know they are marked for what each hole will take just never read the bag to see what I had. I ordered both sizes of pin from Great Plains so whatever they carry are the sizes it will take

#29 2 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JLN93S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00

I love these things! .100 and .156

41mYV1ZrFYL._AC_ (resized).jpg41mYV1ZrFYL._AC_ (resized).jpg
    #30 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

amazon.com link »
    [quoted image]

I own 2 pairs of these for in the shop, and a pair for the to-go box. No issues whatsoever, and at a fraction of the cost.

1 week later
    #31 2 years ago

This is the crimper thread I needed to see. I just did some connectors tonight and remembered how much I hate my Waldom 1919. It does a fair job on the conductors at least, but the insulation crimp is poorly aligned, squirmy and often comes out loose. I'm ordering the one gdonovan linked.

#32 2 years ago

Real Molex. New they're expensive it's true but the standards we work with have been around long enough that there are a ton of the tools floating around. Keep an eye on eBay and you can get a deal.

#33 2 years ago

I went ahead and shoot ED at green plain electronics and he sent some good info. The tools he sells are actually done at Molex spec. Molex had a contract with this company to make their crimpers, Molex then changed to a Swiss maker (or another European country can't recall). Nonetheless, the tools he sells, made by Sargent, where specifically made for molex and by molex request.

I am ordering all 4 sizes to have handy on my IJ restoration, which will start this winter.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from horseflesh:

This is the crimper thread I needed to see. I just did some connectors tonight and remembered how much I hate my Waldom 1919. It does a fair job on the conductors at least, but the insulation crimp is poorly aligned, squirmy and often comes out loose. I'm ordering the one gdonovan linked.

I just crimped a few hundred terminals making a harness from scratch. Tool worked great!

#35 2 years ago

I'm almost looking forward to the next repair!

... almost

#36 2 years ago

If they can make a crimper that strips wire,crimps and auto feeds the pins if would be great and such a timesaver.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

If they can make a crimper that strips wire,crimps and auto feeds the pins if would be great and such a timesaver.

Such a thing exists.

#38 2 years ago

@gdonovan, am I supposed to do 2 crimps per .156 pin with the HT-225D? The dies are pretty deep... looks like it's intended to crimp the insulator and conductor at the same time?

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from horseflesh:

gdonovan, am I supposed to do 2 crimps per .156 pin with the HT-225D? The dies are pretty deep... looks like it's intended to crimp the insulator and conductor at the same time?

Just one action does both.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Just one action does both.

Indeed it does, thanks. That alone makes me want to throw my old Waldom into a ravine. Nice tool.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

amazon.com link »
    [quoted image]

I’ve fully repinned 2 old Sterns with this exact crimper and it works fantastic. I saw it recommended all over different pinside threads before I got it.

#43 2 years ago

Ed at GPE sells these for a few bucks less, might be worth a shot... I can see however, that he does not have in stock.
    I have been trying to get ahold of him by email for more than 1 week now, and no response. Has anybody tried reaching out?

#44 2 years ago

3133-CT is a regular stocked crimper for us.
    We (GPE) are out of the common sizes right now but are working on a new order this week. I see I opened a purchase order in June but never submitted it. Apparently dropped the ball on that one.

I haven't submitted an order since last winter and never got their price list for this year. Kind of scared to see what they're currently charging for a case of crimpers.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

3133-CT is a regular stocked crimper for us.
    We (GPE) are out of the common sizes right now but are working on a new order this week. I see I opened a purchase order in June but never submitted it. Apparently dropped the ball on that one.
    I haven't submitted an order since last winter and never got their price list for this year. Kind of scared to see what they're currently charging for a case of crimpers.

Nice I see that. Not even Sargent has 3133-CT available on their site and a few other places say special order.

I saw online checkout is not available until Nov. 19th on your site. I’ll wait until then to pick one up. Nice prices btw!

#46 2 years ago

Thank you gdonovan! Mine just arrived. A good value. I have a Waldron but this will make things a little easier. Worth $20.

1 year later
    #47 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

amazon.com link »
    [quoted image]

These are out of stock on Amazon right now. I going to repin my Paragon soon and would rather not battle my Waldoms for a million crimps. What should I buy?

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from sullivcd40:

These are out of stock on Amazon right now. I going to repin my Paragon soon and would rather not battle my Waldoms for a million crimps. What should I buy?

Here's what I have, based on recommendations I read here, and I just used it this weekend to repin all the .156" connectors on my displays. It worked great.

https://a.co/d/gjl9tEw

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from mikeflstfi:

Here's what I have, based on recommendations I read here, and I just used it this weekend to repin all the .156" connectors on my displays. It worked great.
    https://a.co/d/gjl9tEw

Ordered, $20 is a decent price too. Good riddance Waldoms!

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-a-good-molex-connector-crimp-tool and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.