(Topic ID: 159337)

What's a good looking arcade cabinet for conversion?

By dmbjunky

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Bos98
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    arcade_(resized).jpg
    Tutankahm_(resized).jpg
    Polybius_(resized).jpg
    IMG_0686_(resized).JPG
    TempestCabaret-side_(resized).jpg

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I wish KLOV had a better system for sorting games by style of cabinet but it's hard to tell what cabinets games came out with. I was looking to make a conversion game that never had a cabinet and was wondering if maybe the more experienced guys can tell me what the best looking cabinet style is in their opinion.

I guess, for me, you can't go wrong with the classic Namco style cabinet.

Namco_(resized).pngNamco_(resized).png

The Atari Centipede cabinet is a good style too.

Centipede_(resized).pngCentipede_(resized).png

#2 7 years ago

Depends on what kind of game you are looking at I guess. I know a lot of people think the DK cabs are ugly, but I love the 'floating' effect of the monitors as they sit back in the cab.

All of that said I have always liked the Williams cabinets.

#3 7 years ago

I like the generic Taito cabs.

#4 7 years ago

Scramble_Arcade_Game_(resized).JPGScramble_Arcade_Game_(resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago

images_(resized).jpgimages_(resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

Whoops, wrong size

wacko_(resized).jpgwacko_(resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Whoops, wrong size

I knew someone would post that one. I would like to see a pic of a different game in that cabinet.

#8 7 years ago

Really depends on the game you are putting in there. Is it a vertical orientation game? Or Horizontal? 1 Player, 2 Players, 4 Players...?

In general, I have always loved Taito cabs.

wCGaqou_(resized).jpgwCGaqou_(resized).jpg

cax_taito_row_2011_(resized).jpgcax_taito_row_2011_(resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

It's just a one player game. For four player games, you can't go wrong with the NBA Jam, TMNT style cabs.

#10 7 years ago

Kinda hard to see, but that's a Neo Geo cabinet. I think it looks pretty good...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_Geo_(system)

20160419_212452_(resized).jpg20160419_212452_(resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

It's just a one player game. For four player games, you can't go wrong with the NBA Jam, TMNT style cabs.

Those mid '90s WMS video game cabinets weren't the best looking cabinets in the world, but they were well designed. You wanted to make a new control panel, you only had to cut a rectangular piece of wood, notch it for T-Molding, and cut the holes, and you were ready to put graphics and hardware on it. Most of them came with full size coin doors, with a seperate one for the coin box and there was lots of room inside to work around with. If I had room now, I'd like to have one or two of them.

#12 7 years ago

Wow! Early production Scramble without the two color side artwork (but still the Doug Watson bezel and marquee).

#13 7 years ago

..like you doing in a bar like this?

#14 7 years ago

NeoGeo 4 slot cabs are great as well.

#15 7 years ago

I love the Midway Tapper/Timber cabinet.

timber_cabinet_(resized).jpgtimber_cabinet_(resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

These Williams composite cabinets were kinda neat too.....

bubbles_(resized).jpgbubbles_(resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago

I like this cabinet

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fast-Ed:

I like this cabinet

I want to take something like this to a show.

#19 7 years ago

Puck_Man_(resized).jpgPuck_Man_(resized).jpg

#20 7 years ago

Hey Jake, just buy the cheapest cab you can find, if yer converting it anyway. Centipede is the most stunning, iconic cab art to me though. Will have a dedicated one someday.
    Show everybody that bad ass old-school Jeep yer cruising around in ! That baby is suh-weeet !! Im guessing yer going to the Indy 500 with us, right ? Party.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Hey Jake, just buy the cheapest cab you can find, if yer converting it anyway. Centipede is the most stunning, iconic cab art to me though. Will have a dedicated one someday.
    Show everybody that bad ass old-school Jeep yer cruising around in ! That baby is suh-weeet !! Im guessing yer going to the Indy 500 with us, right ? Party.

lol. Probably not. I had totally forgot about the 500. It does sound like a good time though. It would have been a good time to put the top down.

#22 7 years ago

I used a Dig Dug for my 60-1...

20160508_135328_(resized).jpg20160508_135328_(resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

It would have been a good time to put the top down.

Not past tense. Future tense ; i.e. : "It WILL be a GREAT time to put the top down !" Don't make Violent Steve live up to his moniker...

#24 7 years ago

Haha. You've got a couple weeks to ponder it. This year is gonna be freakin crazy dude ! 250,000 seats...sold out !!!
    34,000 hotel rooms...sold out !!! Trust me, ...save the date !

#25 7 years ago

I went with a galaga for my 60 in 1. I mean they had to make a gazillion of these things. I have $300-400 total in this one with new decals, boards, used monitor etc.... Looks good and it was cheap

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I went with a galaga for my 60 in 1. I mean they had to make a gazillion of these things. I have $300-400 total in this one with new decals, boards, used monitor etc.... Looks good and it was cheap

That's not an original Galaga though is it? It looks like a reissue.

I'm not making a 60 in one. Just a conversation game that never came with a cabinet.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'm not making a 60 in one. Just a conversation game that never came with a cabinet.

The boards in it were midway and said 1981 on them. I have no idea about any of that stuff though. I thought it was an original.

That style cabinet is classic. Galaga and pacman. They were the same cab.

#28 7 years ago

what year are you looking at? and what brand? Nintendo, capcom, sega, ?
    the midway cabs are sweet as well, it all deepens on what you like and go from there.
    or you can go for a candy cab ?

#29 7 years ago

here is the cabinet i converted to mame............Namco Tekken cabinet

5 speaker surrond sound inside with sub in bottom of cabinet so that i can run i-tunesw and use it as a jukebox also

DSCN3757c_(resized).JPGDSCN3757c_(resized).JPG

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

What game are you making?
    I have a ton of experience with arcades and such. I may be of some help

#31 7 years ago

The boards in it were midway and said 1981 on them. I have no idea about any of that stuff though. I thought it was an original.

That looks like an original... Mine is an original, looks the same, except looks like yours has new; not torn or faded art

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

That looks like an original... Mine is an original, looks the same, except looks like yours has new; not torn or faded art

I replaced all the decals with new ones. I just bought the cheap ones off of eBay. They were pretty rough on the original. Also added a midway pinball coindoor (notice the button in the middle) since the original had been pried off lol.

#33 7 years ago

Nice!

For the record... Ms pacman and galaga used the same cab... Pac man was a little different, Galaxian was really different

#34 7 years ago

I did not know that. I've not seen a lot of original pacman. Mostly Ms.

#35 7 years ago

Not the same cabinet. Pac Man and Galaxian are similar, but the top and front are cut different and are larger.

Galaga, Ms.Pac man, Rally-X, Bosconian and Gaplus are the same (based on 1979 / 1980-ish Namco cabinets).

Edit: The cabinet may be original, but the coin door may not, or may not be completely. Most Ms. Pac Man and Galaga have plastic coin inlets, and the doors at that time did not have a removable plug for a start button. That hole kind of went away after Space Invaders (that's the latest Midway game I've seen it on). It may be an older door painted black.

#36 7 years ago

I replaced all the decals with new ones. I just bought the cheap ones off of eBay. They were pretty rough on the original. Also added a midway pinball coindoor (notice the button in the middle) since the original had been pried off lol.

Replaced coin door

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

What game are you making?
    I have a ton of experience with arcades and such. I may be of some help

I want to make a Fabtek Dead Angle. It's not a game you see a lot. One sold in Louisville before I could get to it for $175 about a month ago. It was disappointing. I'm sure the guy that bought it made a multicade. So I've got a set of decals and I can get a board and marquee easy, just need to find a cab to put it in. I might make a cab too.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I want to make a Fabtek Dead Angle.

Well you can see what it would look like in a Midway cab on the KLOV page, just scroll down:

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7535

#39 7 years ago

Looks like a 2 player jamma cab would work just fine of any sort... I bet you could find a gutted street fighter 2 cab (Dynamo) fairly easily... I have one you can have for free, but I'm pretty far

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Looks like a 2 player jamma cab would work just fine of any sort... I bet you could find a gutted street fighter 2 cab (Dynamo) fairly easily... I have one you can have for free, but I'm pretty far

Most of those U.S. built Capcom games came in cabinets made by 3-koam:
    3Koam_(resized).jpg3Koam_(resized).jpg

#41 7 years ago

Those are great cabs, neo geo had used a lot of those back in the day...

Where as capcom used Dynamo cabinets
    ... I could not find a sample image of all of their cabinets, but they are variations of this:

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#42 7 years ago

Most of them are wired for jamma, so if one can be found for a cheap price and fixed up a bit, it would make for a good candidate to place your game in

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Those are great cabs, neo geo had used a lot of those back in the day...
    Where as capcom used Dynamo cabinets
    ... I could not find a sample image of all of their cabinets, but they are variations of this:

Uh, no. Capcom did use some Dynamo cabinets early on when they started selling games in the U.S. but when Street Fighter II came ut they started using 3-Koam Z-Back cabinets and some of the larger K-2 cabinets. I know I have in the past unboxed some of those, and later converted many to other games (usually into CPS-2 systems) and they had fully printed graphics that matched a pre-cut control panel. BTW, most new empty cabinets came with a JAMMA harness no matter who made them. That wasn't unique to Dynamo.

#44 7 years ago

Not the most beautiful cab in the world, but it grows on you with it's true to the time mirrored artwork and the rather delicate impression it makes despite it's huge size.

What really makes this shine is the motorized automatically rotating 25" monitor. It's also easily accessible due to it's front door. There is no better multigame cab. It's the Mercedes Benz of generic cabs.

(The control panel I'm using in the first picture is just for testing, it's not final...)

IMG_1364_(resized).JPGIMG_1364_(resized).JPG
    2485917903_2c0db332fd_(resized).jpg2485917903_2c0db332fd_(resized).jpg
    JumboQuadro_(resized).jpgJumboQuadro_(resized).jpg

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from someoneelse:

Not the most beautiful cab in the world, but it grows on you with it's true to the time mirrored artwork and the rather delicate impression it makes despite it's huge size.
    What really makes this shine is the motorized automatically rotating 25" monitor. It's also easily accessible due to it's front door. There is no better multigame cab. It's the Mercedes Benz of generic cabs.
    (The control panel I'm using in the first picture is just for testing, it's not final...)

Kind of makes me think of a scaled down Sente Sac-1A cabinet.

#46 7 years ago

I'm loving the cabinet talk guys. I'm learning here.

That K-1 cabinet reminds me of NARC's cabinet with the break in the middle of the side.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Uh, no. Capcom did use some Dynamo cabinets early on when they started selling games in the U.S. but when Street Fighter II came ut they started using 3-Koam Z-Back cabinets and some of the larger K-2 cabinets. I know I have in the past unboxed some of those, and later converted many to other games (usually into CPS-2 systems) and they had fully printed graphics that matched a pre-cut control panel. BTW, most new empty cabinets came with a JAMMA harness no matter who made them. That wasn't unique to Dynamo.

You're absolutely correct

#48 7 years ago

Williams Joust/Moon Patrol (Moon Patrol is the same besides being a little less wide), it's absolutely no contest for me and anything else is kinda ugly

Here's my converted cabinets (and Space Invaders, lol), I bought them this way:

myconversioncabs_(resized).jpgmyconversioncabs_(resized).jpg

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Williams Joust/Moon Patrol (Moon Patrol is the same besides being a little less wide), it's absolutely no contest for me and anything else is kinda ugly
    Here's my converted cabinets (and Space Invaders, lol), I bought them this way:

I need one of those narrower Williams cabinets (Sinistar). I have a complete control panel, marquee and board set for Sinistar, but most of the other Williams cabinets are wider the Control panel and marquee.

#50 7 years ago

Dynamo looks slick and most games have 2 player 6 buttons.

Tatoi good for 60 in 1

Also old berserk cabinet with slide ou drawer or mortal kombat Style with cabinet style drawer.

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-a-good-looking-arcade-cabinet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.