Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by HOOKED
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

008.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

Want some opinions on a fair trade...

I'm trying to help out fellow member DevilInIron....He bought a TFTC on ebay that's turned out not quite as advertised. It's had several issues and at the moment is not entirely playable.

Symptoms:

DMD not working (I fixed that for him with some connector work...some loose pins)
    PPB blows fuses F7 and F8 consistently, usually after 30 mins or so, seems to coincide with game over/attract mode
    Switch Matrix errors? Not sure but one example is a switch registers to actuate the VUK but doesn't seem to register with the MPU to advance a feature (like awarding extra ball)
    Frankenstein hack to the MPU. Evidence of prior corrosion as the blanking circuit area of the board has a daughter board attached to it now...don't know what if any random issues its causing
    Weak right flipper
    right flipper sticks up electrically (found broken diode that he's repaired....I think that issue is gone)
    A couple of broken plastics
    Missing spotlights
    Start Button not working even tho switch contacts are making
    Cosmetically the game is mostly clean looking. Will need a shop job at some point.

That's the general condition and I may have left something off....DevilInIron can comment on anything else.

He's anxious to get a playing game, and all I have available that's currently playable is a decent SOF. The game works 100% and the cab is very nice with no marks or fade. The left side of the PF has four or five inserts that need decals. No broken plastics or ramps, score displays fine. It too could use a good shop job as it has been mostly unplayed for a couple of years. I will include a new rubber set for him.

So.....What is a fair trade for him? And for me? I'm guessing worse case that because of the previous board work I may need a new MPU for the TFTC. Everything else, I think I can repair on my own. I had a TFTC at one point and wouldn't mind having another one again.

Kind of hard for me to evaluate because its DMD for non-DMD, but DE for System11 WMS. Straight up the values are about $500 disparate for working equal condition.

He offered straight up trade, but I don't feel comfortable with that. I feel I should at least offer him some $$$ on top of the SOF, even if the TFTC is non-working. I don't want to take advantage of someone, especially when they are anxious to just get a working pin.

So, thoughts and opinons? I told him I would let the group guide us on this and he was cool with that

#2 12 years ago

I can tell you if you lived near me and were willing to come out and help with repairs that $500 difference wouldn't mean a damn thing. I would take that deal in a second.
    How much will it cost him to get it up and running? Just because you can doesn't mean he can and he can't expect free help. It will cost him $$$ to get those issues repaired. It's a fair deal and in the future if you still feel bad go and help him with some more repairs.

#3 12 years ago

straight up

#4 12 years ago

It sounds like an even trade is being generous on your part. With all the unknowns of the TFTC you don't really know what you are getting exactly thus you are taking on a risk.

I certainly would not be giving any money from your side between those two machines, but I am not an expert like you. I know from reading the posts on this site that you can get that sucker working great, and an even trade is probably good if both sides would be happy. Both sides being satisfied is what really matters. You don't want to have any bad feelings on either side.

#5 12 years ago

Straight up and a case of beer. sounds like your a good man, robert.

#6 12 years ago

Well helping with his repairs is a given, whether he keeps the TFTC or takes the SOF....I don't mind helping any locals out. I even offered to swap him pins for awhile so that I could work on his TFTC in the comfort of my home, but he has a narrow flight of stairs involved, so swapping back and forth is a pain.

#7 12 years ago

Definitely nice of you to even look into it. With all the work it needs I would say straight up is fair or add in a small amount. Fixing these machines takes work & time. Hiring someone to fix something that needs as much care as this one appears to need could get pretty expensive. So all and all I think a straight trade is pretty fair.

#8 12 years ago

I think he should play quite a few games on SOF, before a deal is struck, to make sure he likes it. It would be a hard trade for me, without trying SOF first.

#9 12 years ago

Does he only have one pin? You know he'll want two. Trade straight up and maybe in the future if you are thinking about selling it you let him have a sweatheart deal if you still feel you got the better end of the trade.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from mojozone:

Straight up and a case of beer

+1

#11 12 years ago

Robert , You are 1 of a kind.. I'd say and Even Trade and he Throw's in 3 visit's for you to Yr Local Chiropractor .. After see'ing you Yesterday drag-n yr Left foot and Hunched over, You Don't need to be Lugg-n no Pinball up some stair's.. And Rob, when you Feel the Need to play some BSD , Come & get mine and Keep it for a Month ,,,,, ( NOT ) ,,,,,

008.JPG008.JPG

#12 12 years ago

As others have said, straight up is generous. If you are feeling bad, shop out the SoF for him first.

You could also give him the option to swap back with him adding some cash after it is 100%. With the amount of work you'll be putting into it I'd say a few hundred at least.

#13 12 years ago

I think a straight up trade would be the way to go....you will have to put alot of time and a fair amount of money regardless if you do the repairs yourself or not.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Robert , You are 1 of a kind.. I'd say and Even Trade and he Throw's in 3 visit's for you to Yr Local Chiropractor .. After see'ing you Yesterday drag-n yr Left foot and Hunched over, You Don't need to be Lugg-n no Pinball up some stair's..

I'm definitely feeling my age and why I'm getting rid of some of my projects. I've had two back surgeries and about once or twice a year I get a flare up where I'm down for a week or two. That 2 hour ride to your place makes me a little stiff in the back

Pinball is not the right hobby for my back, that's for sure....Maybe stamp collecting

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Chiropractor .. After see'ing you Yesterday drag-n yr Left foot and Hunched over, You Don't need to be Lugg-n no Pinball up some stair's..

Don't worry B_R, I don't expect Robert to help me move those heavy things. That's something my brother and I will do. I've offered to help him with moving things around too, anytime, if he needs it. Got to try out a Creature at Robert's for the first time. One word: awesome!

#16 12 years ago

I just hate that he's already upside down on the TFTC....I didn't mention that the DMD came cracked in half and that he had a 'pin tech' from CL come in and replace it with a new one. I'll let him tell you that story.

I hear everyone, but I don't think I could go straight up. I would just feel like piling on his misery. This hobby is 100% about rep, and I don't want to leave a sour taste in anyone's mouth. I like the idea of swapping back after I do get it working, probably for the cost of any parts. Or giving him a 60 day warranty on the SOF....something to insure he's going to end up with a pleasurable pin experience, because so far, it hasn't been for him. I'll wait to see what DevilinIron's thoughts are after reading this thread.

#17 12 years ago

Robert, I'm not surprised on this thread....
    I wish more Roberts for the world.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

I just hate that he's already upside down on the TFTC....I didn't mention that the DMD came cracked in half and that he had a 'pin tech' from CL come in and replace it with a new one. I'll let him tell you that story.

Well, believe me when I say I've spent a bundle on this TFTC. In retrospect, I never should have bought from out of state on Ebay. That was a big lesson. It's unfortunate that I found Pinside only after winning my bid. Things would have probably went differently.
    I initially paid $1666 for it. Shipping was a beast, the most I've heard anyone pay for shipping these things. It was about a 1/3 of what I paid for the machine. My TFTC arrived fairly well, with the cracked DMD as an exception. Bought a cliffy, some target decals, the rules insert, and a new DMD for it. Had a tech from craigslist come to get the thing up and running. He charges 50 to come over and then 50 an hour. When he came he brought his girlfriend and had whisky on his breath. That didn't give me a very good impression. However, he was able to install the new DMD and the cliffy. He was sweating profusely trying to answer my questions. Maybe I just make people nervous, I don't know. Though I must say, the way he carelessly swung his screwdriver around my circuit board made ME nervous. And unfortunately, that's all that got done after an hour and a half. I could tell he was trying to milk me on time and play stupid with certain aspects of the machine to get there. So I just ended the session. Once they left, I got about 3 hours of solid play on my machine before it started acting up with the current round of problems that Robert mentioned.

Quoted from robertmee:

I hear everyone, but I don't think I could go straight up. I would just feel like piling on his misery. This hobby is 100% about rep, and I don't want to leave a sour taste in anyone's mouth.

A straight up trade sounds good to me. Everyone else seems to think so too. I'm sure you can get the TFTC running correctly. I wouldn't be trading with you if I didn't think that. There won't be any bad feelings on my side. Finding you and Pinside has been a blessing in all this mess. I humbly thank the pinball gods on that score!

#20 12 years ago

I've had both and really like both and in this case I would say straight up is totally fair. Don't count SoF down so much! It's a great game! There is no other game with drop targets that play you instead of the other way around. If you really want to play SoF well you'll have to fight that upper playfield and those targets. They should have been called "Smart Targets" by todays vernacular

All you'll be missing vs the TFTC is shaker motor and dmd. Williams games don't "give" you a consolation multiball like DE does. You'll have to work for it on SoF. All in all if Robert is willing to give up a nice SoF *and* do the work on the TFTC I say go for it. JT seems like he just wants something reliable and fun to play. SoF sounds perfecto in this case.

Good luck, gentlemen.

#21 12 years ago

Thanks, Cliffy! We trade machines on Monday. I can't wait to play SoF.

#22 12 years ago

Heard so many good things about SoF, and would love to own one myself.
    I think a straight trade is quite solid.

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from DEVILinIRON:

I initially paid $1666 for it. Shipping was a beast

The Number of the beast

#24 12 years ago

I agree that a straight up trade is fair. DEVILinIRON is going to lose money regardless. robertmee is taking a big risk, but if he is lucky and after a fair amount of work he stands to come out ahead, but he is still taking a massive risk.

As long as both people are happy who cares though? Both games are fun to play and if everyone walks away happy then the money aspect is negligible.

#25 12 years ago

Straight up sounds like the right deal here. TFTC is worth more, but it has enough work required that it negates any price difference in my book.

#26 12 years ago

I really appreciate everyone's input and advice!! I carefully considered what everyone was saying, but in the end, I did extend an offer that included some $. He will be picking up the game with his brother Monday, and bringing me his game. They did agree that because of my ailing back to help move my new TSPP into my house so I consider the extra $ cheap insurance for my back and to cover moving fees

I hope it ends up being a win-win for both of us and that Devil FINALLY gets to enjoy a working pin

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from DEVILinIRON:

Thanks, Cliffy! We trade machines on Monday. I can't wait to play SoF.

SoF Has *THE* best rock'n multiball soundtrack in all of pinball and absolutely screams for a real subwoofer. It's all bassline when multiball starts. You'll love it, just wait! First thing when you get it, crank the volume UP!

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from mojozone:

Straight up and a case of beer. sounds like your a good man, robert

DITO, you could replace the beer with a bottle.

I like the idea you could always swap back later. Even though the TFTC should be easy, you never know. It could cost more than you think.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

SoF Has *THE* best rock'n multiball soundtrack in all of pinball and absolutely screams for a real subwoofer. It's all bassline when multiball starts. You'll love it, just wait! First thing when you get it, crank the volume UP

+1000,Nothing like the sounds of SOF.Good Luck to both of you guys

#30 12 years ago

straight trade...top heavy a little but your taking all the risk.
    If it fixes cheap send him what makes you feel good about the trade.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-a-fair-trade-for-both-partiespinside-members and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.