(Topic ID: 26797)

Centigrade 37 found! My first EM. How do I access the menus on this thing :)

By Drano

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Drano
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

no_no.gif
image.jpg
IMG_1184.jpg
IMG_1183.jpg
IMG_1182.jpg
IMG_1181.jpg
IMG_1180.jpg
IMG_1179.jpg
IMG_1186.jpg
IMG_1187.jpg
IMG_1188.jpg
IMG_1190.jpg
alien_dance.gif
mad_doctor.jpg
C37_12.JPG
C37_09.JPG
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I'm a die-hard DMD guy but I've always wanted at least one older EM or early SS game.

I really like Centigrade 37, amongst others, and just wondered what this title generally goes for... and how hard it may be to come by?

My preference would be a restoration project, but anything will do. Any leads would also be appreciated.

#3 11 years ago

Wow... Didn't think it would be that much.
Thanks!

There's one on eBay right now for $1500 but not at all close to me.
I also figured eBay prices would be high... guess not!

#4 11 years ago

I think that is a pretty highly regarded Em, so it commands a higher price. It's like the Medieval Madness of EM's.

#5 11 years ago

Really? I had no idea. I've heard the same said of Fireball
Oh we'll, looks like the search might take a bit longer than expected.

#6 11 years ago

The game is fantastic! Artwork incredible. (Like Wally Wood EC Comic art!) Gameplay...fun! Animated Backglass...outtasite! I was offered over $2k for mine and didn't sell it. If you can pick one up...get it!

go_get_it.gifgo_get_it.gif

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

The game is fantastic! Artwork incredible. (Like Wally Wood EC Comic art!) Gameplay...fun! Animated Backglass...outtasite! I was offered over $2k for mine and didn't sell it. If you can pick one up...get it!

Thanks... but it's looking like it ain't gonna be so easy.
The one on eBay is somewhere in MI. Now, if any friendly local Pinsider wants to pick it up for me... I might actually convince the seller to let me bid on it
Of course, you'll have to drive it to Detroit too. Did I forget to mention that?

If that plan doesn't work out... Ted, you know I have an office and a nice warm warehouse in NJ right? That's almost as good as a local sale in my book

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Really? I had no idea. I've heard the same said of Fireball
Oh we'll, looks like the search might take a bit longer than expected.

Yep, you've selected one of the higher end EMs. I have both it and Fireball. I would say Fireball is more like the MM of EMs as it is popular with newbies while Centigrade takes a little while to warm up to -- for those that don't play pinball. Also, like MM, Fireball has a ton of features for it's period -- zipper flippers, spinning disk, multiball (!), kick back, and a skill shot plus one of the best overall art packages IMHO

Another EM worth considering is 4 Million BC. First you have to get over the art package -- plastics are pretty sad and backglass is a little odd, not the fun happy stuff of the period. The game itself is fantastic. I might actually prefer the gameplay over Fireball. Tough call. With 4MBC, you have 2 ball and 3 ball MB (!), kick back, zipper flippers, and a skill shot. These seem to normally sell in the $800 range fully working and occassionaly come up for less.

If you are stuck on Gottlieb, Sky Jump is a fun game and comes up every now and again in the $600 range. Sometimes less if you are lucky. I've seen a couple in the $400 range.

I will add, I think a more realistic price range for Centigrade is in the $1,000 to $1,200 range. At the upper price mentioned earlier, it would have to be absolutely exceptional. I saw one just this year at one of the shows and it was priced at $1,450. It was the nicest C37 I had ever seen. And it didn't sell by the end of the show. If I had my C37 at the time, I would have bought that one and sold mine. It was really that nice. Sorry I missed that one.

Good luck on the hunt,
Duane

#9 11 years ago

Yes, I agree, 4 Million B.C. is a pretty cool game. (I forgot I had one for a few months)
I don't agree you can find a good Centigrade for $1,000...at least not around here. I paid $1,600 and that was 6 years ago.
I would sell mine, but it would be $2k or more, fer sur!

#10 11 years ago

C37 has very cool artwork, but the playfield is very similar to a number of other Gottlieb titles including 300/Top Score.

#11 11 years ago

What was the machine that was almost the same thing? Atlantis, or something....

#12 11 years ago

Thanks guys,
Very informative. Maybe I'll look into some of those other titles if I can't find a decent C37 right away.

I have definitely found a couple just in the last 48hrs so that's promising. The one on eBay with a starting price of $1500 and BIN of $2000, as well as two for sale by dealers. One is asking $1600 for what appears to be a very clean machine, but he is in CA. Still waiting to hear form the other one.

I wish either one was closer or this would not be a very tough decision.
I also enjoyed El Dorado a lot when I played it a while back, but just not as much as this pin.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

C37 has very cool artwork, but the playfield is very similar to a number of other Gottlieb titles including 300/Top Score.

Sweet... I'm buying a "300" this week!

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

What was the machine that was almost the same thing? Atlantis, or something....

VERY similar layout. Atlantis has a ton more drop targets on the left, no kickout hole on the upper right.

#15 11 years ago

I once owned a 4 million BC, but have never even played a centigrade! Now that I've read so much great things about it, I've at least gotta try it out!

Now to find one in, or around Iowa. lol!

-Aaron
The Iowa Pinball Club

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yes, I agree, 4 Million B.C. is a pretty cool game. (I forgot I had one for a few months)
I don't agree you can find a good Centigrade for $1,000...at least not around here. I paid $1,600 and that was 6 years ago.
I would sell mine, but it would be $2k or more, fer sur!

I just played an immaculate 4 Million BC at the pinball museum in Baltimore, and I was amazed. Great skill shot, great multi-ball, tons of fun. And really ugly in a really cool way. I can't even imagine keeping an EM that complicated running.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

I just played an immaculate 4 Million BC at the pinball museum in Baltimore, and I was amazed. Great skill shot, great multi-ball, tons of fun. And really ugly in a really cool way. I can't even imagine keeping an EM that complicated running.

The amazing thing about EMs....they keep working if played. I have a few and have no clue how to work on them. Knock on wood, they seem to keep going. Cann't say the same for my damn modern Williams DMD stuff. I'm fighting to keep them working. Seems I fix one thing and another thing breaks. I swear the EMs will outlast all Solid State pins!

Cheers,
Duane

#18 11 years ago

Drano, just buy my LOTR and Teds centigrade. He and i are practically neighbors. Pick them up the same day and ship them home together. Save a bundle and have two beautiful home use games to enjoy.

#19 11 years ago

hah! I like the way you think.
I've had Centigrade 37 for about 6 years now and NEVER one problem! Me, Honch and his wife just played the hell out of it!

#20 11 years ago

Sold mine for $2K a while ago, but it was real nice -

pics:http://www.weirpinball.com/gallery/index.php/Restoration/Previous-Restorations/Centigrade-37/after

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I also enjoyed El Dorado a lot when I played it a while back, but just not as much as this pin.

C37 has lots of things to do over El Dorado for sure as it has involved gameplay as you have drop targets, rollovers, kickout Hole, standup targets to get goals. The one bummer is that it acts as a multi-player in the way that there is no building bonus carryover, so everything has to be done per ball.

El Dorado, your objective, just drop the targets, again, again, again, etc.

Ken

#23 11 years ago

The worst thing about it is that it's a one player game...

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

The worst thing about it is that it's a one player game...

That's sort of what I like about it... It's such a throwback that its cool. Love the single score reel!
I guess these types of games are great for competing with friends, so multiplayer would be cool.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Drano, just buy my LOTR and Teds centigrade. He and i are practically neighbors. Pick them up the same day and ship them home together. Save a bundle and have two beautiful home use games to enjoy.

I wish I could, but Ted's not givin me the "Pinsider insider" discount
Actually, I just scored a local HUO LOTR. Don't want to jinx it because it's not in my possession yet, but my DMD hunting may be at an end. Two more pre-orders to add to the collection and I'm calling it quits.
One or two nice EMs down the road just for variety, but I am super happy with the way my lineup will look in 4-6 month's time. It's taken a while.

Good news is I found a perfectly restored C37 for a little over $1500. Now I just have to look into shipping. It might kill the deal, but if I'm getting a good price, why not?

#25 11 years ago

Yes...even if it's $1,600 plus $350 shipping, that's still $1,950. For you, I would sell it for that....but you hafta come and get it....smoke a cigar, drink some tequila and gobble down a Cowboy Steak. On me, natch!

#26 11 years ago

Wow, shows you how times have changed, I got my C37 for $500 4 or 5 years ago!

It is a great wedgehead, always very popular when I have it at events!!

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Sold mine for $2K a while ago, but it was real nice -
pics:http://www.weirpinball.com/gallery/index.php/Restoration/Previous-Restorations/Centigrade-37/after

I think you proved my point. At the upper price mentioned, the game has to be exceptional and yours certainly was. That was an incredible restoration. Looks better than new. Well done!

Cheers,
Duane

#28 11 years ago

....and 3 years ago I could of had a AFM for $3,700.....a Time Machine!...that's what we need!

Bulbs_flash.gifBulbs_flash.gif

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yes...even if it's $1,600 plus $350 shipping, that's still $1,950. For you, I would sell it for that....but you hafta come and get it....smoke a cigar, drink some tequila and gobble down a Cowboy Steak. On me, natch!

I might have to take you up on that offer... might even smuggle in a couple of Cubans
I'm in Mount Laurel NJ at least 6-10 times a year... but still seems to be a bit of a hike from Park Ridge.

#30 11 years ago

...all part of the Adventure, my friend..

#31 11 years ago

Well,
Two pin searches this month and both have come to a successful end this long weekend... well, this morning to be exact. First, my LOTR is now in the house and I just ended up purchasing this C37 on eBay.

Here are some of the seller's pics. A bit grainy, but the game appears to be in fine shape for its age. A local collector and good Samaritan has offered to bring it back for me on his way home from Expo.

Should see it in a couple of weeks!

My first EM! Very excited!!!

C37_03.JPGC37_03.JPG C37_04.JPGC37_04.JPG C37_05.JPGC37_05.JPG C37_07.JPGC37_07.JPG C37_09.JPGC37_09.JPG C37_12.JPGC37_12.JPG

#32 11 years ago

Hard to tell from pictures...but doesn't look bad. You will love it! My favorite EM of all time!

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Hard to tell from pictures...but doesn't look bad.

I'll post a more thorough run-down when it arrives in a couple of weeks.
I expect a few rough edges. It's been with the same family for a long time from what I have gathered and not sure how much maintenance has been done... but these EMs are bullet proof right?

I'm told it works fine, the playfield is near perfect and the only blemish on the game (apart from the few on the cabinet) is on the red temperatrue level behind the backglass. It has a black smuge on it. Not sure what it's made of, but hopefully it can be cleaned up.
I'll do some minor cleaning and touch-up but plan to keep it pretty much as-is. I love that all the original paperwork is included

I wonder what the number stamp on the front of the cab is? Maybe an op's mark?

I'll be hitting you up for some pointers on scoring strategy Ted

#34 11 years ago

C37 is a great game!

#35 11 years ago

The red strip is just a ribbon. A small black smudge wouldn't bother me. You might be able to clean or dye it.
The only strategy is watch the right lane to the flipper. (you'll see why!) It will kick your ass!

#36 11 years ago

congrats on the C37

#37 11 years ago

Wonderful machine ! I'm jealous !

#38 11 years ago

Good catch!

Hope it makes you want to get more EM's!

Have Fun!

Ken

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Good catch!
Hope it makes you want to get more EM's!
Have Fun!
Ken

Thanks. They're a lot of fun. Wish I had endless space. At the very least maybe there is an early SS in my future

#40 11 years ago

Very cool -- this would be my pick for entering the EM world as well if I were to take the plunge -- congrats on finding one!

#41 11 years ago

Damn, thanks to this thread I just picked one up myself. Had never even heard of this pin before the other day but it looks pretty cool and I've been toying with picking up an EM for awhile. Probably my fastest pin search/purchase ever but I think I got a really good deal on a nice condition example. Can't wait to get it.

#42 11 years ago

I got a really good deal on a nice condition example. Can't wait to get it.

Congrats to you as well jhoward1082!

I see my little scheme of converting SS/DMD people to EM's is working! (mad doctor laugh) AhHahahahaha!

Ken

mad_doctor.jpgmad_doctor.jpg

#43 11 years ago

Looks awesome, congrats!

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from jhoward1082:

Damn, thanks to this thread I just picked one up myself. Had never even heard of this pin before the other day but it looks pretty cool and I've been toying with picking up an EM for awhile. Probably my fastest pin search/purchase ever but I think I got a really good deal on a nice condition example. Can't wait to get it.

Sweet!
Congrats.

For any pinsiders in So-Cal looking for this title, Pat Choy at endless pinball has a nice example for sale

http://www.endlesspinball.com/centigrade-37-pinball-game-1595/

#45 11 years ago

Hey!...we can start the C37 Club!

alien_dance.gifalien_dance.gif

#46 11 years ago

My favorite EM. Would take ALOT to pry it out of the collection. Congrats on the nice buy !

#47 11 years ago

I LOVE the artwork on the backglass/playfield. I'm not much of an EM guy but wow. Congrats dude!

#48 11 years ago

congrats on your new purchases, Centigrade 37... very nice game.
and your LOTR... you won't be disappointed.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I LOVE the artwork on the backglass/playfield. I'm not much of an EM guy but wow. Congrats dude!

Yeah, that's what got me first. As a designer/artist this game screamed to me when I saw it at the PHOF a while back. I kept dumping quarters into it and was hooked.
It sorta sat in the back of my mind while I searched around for my favourite DMDs, but the timing was just right. I always wanted at least one EM and maybe one early SS. Thought about fireball at first, but this one just seemed to have more charm

#50 11 years ago

Congrats Drano...C37 is my EM favorite. Just can't beat brewing up a futuristic chick in a tube

I know your remark about accessing the menus was tongue in cheek, but if you get into the backbox, you can move the plugs to change the number of balls, replay settings, etc... kind of like using the old punch card computers in a silver ball chassis. See, who needs a dmd display anyway.

cheers,

rody

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-a-centigrade-37-worth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.