Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Goronic
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
hobbit-hole.jpg
tumblr_mhkhh6DrSj1qj00tho4_r1_250.gif
Eating-Chips-Gif.gif
5GsrX.png
image-99.jpg
bag end 3.jpg
bag end2.jpg
bag end.jpg

#1 5 years ago

OK, never read the Tolkien's so was wondering firstly - what does it reference?

The reason I'm curious is that @ expo it was obviously under construction - with a (non-drop) target bank and acting as a temp spot for the "place holder" book that developed into the LCD book which was then placed further back.

& of course it's said to be still under construction.

The latest JJP pic I found shows plastics covering a good portion of the pf, and in particular, any holes for mechanics:

bag end.jpg

& a pic of the proto @ Automated looks like a lot of open real estate there and hard to discern what's going on:

bag end 3.jpg

Going out on a limb here but w/ the original promise of Smaug capturing / reacting to the ball does anyone think there could be chance of a capture ability w/ a claw or tail or magnet or anything that may help off-set the initial reaction to "hey we got a talking head reacting to the ball"?

From one of the pics of the proto @ Automated, looks pretty full to me on the bottom-end:

bag end2.jpg

& w/ that said the game really looks like it's shaping up from originally what I saw @ expo (keep it up JJP!), just hoping for some more surprises.

-Rod

#3 5 years ago

Bag End is the name of Bilbo's hobbit house. Like a manor having a proper name.

#4 5 years ago

Hmmmm.... What is Bag End.... Now thats a quest. Dont even think google knows it..

Lets check!

Edit...

Wait, only a zillion hits....

#5 5 years ago

This was the bag end topper I had designed for the game. It's not going into production unless I did a aftermarket as a mod. My design had LEDs inside the house to light up the windows simulating the sun. And the door would be on a actuator. When u hit the start button the door would open half way to simulate starting the journey. When the game would end it would close...
Pinnovators retains the drawing still but it wasn't submitted to wb.

image-99.jpg

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

This was the bag end topper I had designed for the game. It's not going into production unless I did a aftermarket as a mod. My design had LEDs inside the house to light up the windows simulating the sun. And the door would be on a actuator. When u hit the start button the door would open half way to simulate starting the journey. When the game would end it would close...

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing.

--Luke

#7 5 years ago

The little known crack house down the street from Bilbo. Back in the day, they only sold dime-bags -bag at the end of the trail; "bags end" (sic).

This is why they eat so many meals:
breakfast
2nd breakfast
11sies
lunch
2nd lunch
tea

serious munchies

Recently, they have changed their business model to deal with the more desperate Hobbits. I mean, big furry feet would drive anyone to drugs...

<Tolkien spins in grave faster than the spinner in Flash>

faz

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Now that's a mod I'd be interested in buying for mine! Very creative! I'd rather spend the extra money on that instead of $400 decal upgrades

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Soltic:

Going out on a limb here but w/ the original promise of Smaug capturing / reacting to the ball does anyone think there could be chance of a capture ability w/ a claw or tail or magnet or anything that may help off-set the initial reaction to "hey we got a talking head reacting to the ball"?

Would be nice, but I think the extra Smaug appengages hopes are all pretty well dashed at this point.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

image-99.jpg 207 KB

Take my money!

You could have another small LED light up where Gandalf puts his little symbol on the door with some kind of translucent plastic to match the door with blue LED behind it? Just an idea.

5GsrX.png

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

image-99.jpg 207 KB

Yes, please, Lorenzo! (If one happened to show up on my front doorstep and a pre-arranged amount of funds mysteriously showed up in your mailbox, who would talk? Not me, certainly...)

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

image-99.jpg 207 KB

Simply amazing!

#13 5 years ago

The OP brings up an interesting point - there is quite a bit of open real estate by the Bag End. What do you think will be there when JJP finally reveals the last incantation of the pin? Another toy, perhaps?

#14 5 years ago

Bag End

Eating-Chips-Gif.gif

#15 5 years ago

I thought Bag End was the bottom of the Goblin King's chin?

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

On no he dint

tumblr_mhkhh6DrSj1qj00tho4_r1_250.gif
----->

#17 5 years ago

Im thinking since the licensing didnt work out for Smaug, Maybe he will have something in that spot that will interact as a Ball capture for another multiball.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

On no he dint

----->

I gotta say...that kind of looks like me with my shirt off.

#19 5 years ago

Bag end? A nipple possibly?

#21 5 years ago

I would like to see something like the Hobbit house with the door, hit it once for each dwarf and the door glows with the symbol on it. hit it one last time and it opens up to let the ball get captured just like on the woz where you have to rescue dorothy.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

No, that's Ball End.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

The little known crack house down the street from Bilbo. Back in the day, they only sold dime-bags -bag at the end of the trail; "bags end" (sic).
This is why they eat so many meals:
breakfast
2nd breakfast
11sies
lunch
2nd lunch
tea
serious munchies
Recently, they have changed their business model to deal with the more desperate Hobbits. I mean, big furry feet would drive anyone to drugs...
<Tolkien spins in grave faster than the spinner in Flash>
faz

True, there's a line in the first movie "Your love of the halfings' leaf has clearly slowed your mind. "

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Hmmmm.... What is Bag End.... Now thats a quest. Dont even think google knows it..
Lets check!
Edit...
Wait, only a zillion hits....

What can i say i only use Lougle and the answer to any query is always the same: Great White Buffalo....

In all seriousness I was wondering if the Bag End is not a temporary cover for something else in development and hopefully mechanical.... But lllvjr obviously tipped it as always being seriously planned. Bummer.

Rod

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

image-99.jpg 207 KB

You could also Make this like a Coocoo Clock and have Gandolf come through the door. now that would be interesting.lol Actually I think it's a great Topper.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinister:

You could also Make this like a Coocoo Clock and have Gandolf come through the door. now that would be interesting.lol Actually I think it's a great Topper.

I now, the coocoo clock was just a theory. Realistically it would just be cheaper to leave the door half open on a braket so the light from inside the windows and door would seep through. That would give it the feeling of leaving to go on the journey. Your inside looking out

#27 5 years ago

Not being included in the top right of the Bag End Litter Box has is one of the factors that have to withdraw my preorder the hobbit, I expected a door opened and interacted with the ball, very simple to make and a impressive result, I totally agree.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

This was the bag end topper I had designed for the game.

Lorenzo, that is beautiful! I'd be in in a heartbeat for that as a mod. I hope you can find a way to do it.

#29 5 years ago

On the litterbox, the door should be too small for the cat. Then, when the cat drops a turd in front of the door, Gollum comes out, grabs it, says "My Precious" and takes it in the door.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Lorenzo, that is beautiful! I'd be in in a heartbeat for that as a mod. I hope you can find a way to do it.

Thanks

#31 5 years ago

Maybe the something could not be revealed until the 3rd movie?

I do not see the differences in your two pictures. Both have the plastics shown in the first pic.

As for the tail or ball lock by smaug body here is hoping

#33 5 years ago

The answer is always Great White Buffalo, but thanks for coming all the way from Cambridge, have you seen Bieber lately? If you do, don't lend him your 4-wheeler.

Rod

#34 5 years ago

I don't follow Bieber unlike some people ^^^^^^so I have no idea what your talking about. Maybe I should post a topic about it on pinside since there is no other way to find out

#35 5 years ago

And speaking of Bieber, always make sure he sits in the front with you as he likes to donkey-punch drivers when he's all crackled-up with Rob Ford and the gang.

No dreams of ball capture, post 142 says it here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-hobbit-pics-or-vids-from-automated-to-be-had/page/3

Absolute bummer, but thanks for all to those who showed me this google thing. Makes Lougle look like a retarded chicken.

I will miss the Great White Buffalo thing, it became kinda comforting for some strange reason.

Rod

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I don't follow Bieber unlike some people ^^^^^^so I have no idea what your talking about. Maybe I should post a topic about it on pinside since there is no other way to find out

It's ok, 1985 was a good year, and remember what Danny said:

"Never put salt in your eyes.... Never put salt in your eyes.... Always put salt in your eyes."

Rod

2 years later
#37 3 years ago

Any chance of this topper ever becoming a reality?

*Your skill in thread necromancy has increased* (74)

pasted_image (resized).png

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Any chance of this topper ever becoming a reality?

No.

LTG : )

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No.
LTG : )

I agree - well, not from JJP anyway.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New York, NY
$ 12.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Minnetrista, MN
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside