Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 150 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by EJS
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2692 (resized).png
    pezpunk (resized).png
    Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 10.31.35 AM (resized).png
    centaur (resized).jpg
    20220727_170244 (resized).jpeg
    rickandlloydexpo2001 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.53.29 AM (resized).png
    MIA pinsdrs (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    ccotenj (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 11.49.22 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 11.49.27 AM (resized).png

There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from leckmeck:

Just today I was wondering about JoeGrenuk, which led me to this obituary.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/floridatoday/name/joseph-grenuk-obituary?pid=196628912

Oh man! so sorry.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from leckmeck:

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/floridatoday/name/joseph-grenuk-obituary?pid=196628912

Of course his son Jack is all over EM pinball on facebook

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I can give you another Rick story.
    He gets into a flame fest fight on Rec Games Pinball newsgroup. I was kind of shocked. Rick was just the nicest guy and no idea how he got into this posting war with another person. Really out of character for him. It came to threats and what they'd do if they ever met, etc. etc. Now on Rec Games Pinball you couldn't post pictures.
    So Rick posts a link of his picture so the other guy knew who to look for at Expo.
    I naturally clicked on the link to see which picture of Rick he'd posted. And what do I find ? Rick posted a picture of me !
    Glad I looked, so I could keep an eye out at Expo in case I get cold cocked or something. Nothing ever did come of it. Though if there was a problem, better me than Rick.
    LTG : )

My wife has a cousin that has had similar incidents. Everybody loves telling the "Sandy" Stories. At some point they almost get unbelievable, but they are all true.

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from leckmeck:

Very sad to know this. I really liked and respected the man.

#55 2 years ago

One of the biggest shocks for me was finding out of the passing of Terry Richie (Who-Dey). I didnt really know him that much but we chatted in a few different threads. Super nice guy and always upbeat. But his passing really hit me in "Here today gone tomorrow" terms. I feel like I get stuck in my own little world/group and dont chat much with to many. Im addictively on here everyday, but don't post that often. I really try to avoid drama and let people have their own opinions and usually keep mine to myself. Anyways, I really value all the friendship and all the good people on here, even if we don't like the same games. There is a whole RIP thread for Who-Dey if any of you would like to check that out.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-terrie-richie

Keep flippin those flippers

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from leckmeck:

Totally shocked hearing this. He seemed to be the picture of health every time I saw him. R.I.P. and heavenly pinball, Joe. My condolences to his family. Very sad.

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Totally shocked hearing this. He seemed to be the picture of health every time I saw him. R.I.P. and heavenly pinball, Joe. My condolences to his family. Very sad.

Apparently he passed last August. I didn't hear anything about it before now, and everyone I contacted about it hadn't heard anything either.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Apparently he passed last August. I didn't hear anything about it before now, and everyone I contacted about it hadn't heard anything either.

this was talked about on the virus thread at great length as he was posting almost every day on that subject..

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from belairjoe:

this was talked about on the virus thread at great length as he was posting almost every day on that subject..

Where is this? I don’t see any virus topic posts listed under forum activity in Joe’s profile.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from leckmeck:

I'm very sorry to hear this. Joe was one of the good guys. I hauled games for him for many years. He ended up with a substantial part of my wedgehead collection. RIP

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

I'm very sorry to hear this. Joe was one of the good guys. I hauled games for him for many years. He ended up with a substantial part of my wedgehead collection. RIP

Wow, that's a shock.

Joe had a great story he related to me via email a few years ago. He worked for ATT or something like that and he traveled. He got sent to Buenos Aires on business. He knew there were two TKOs there he wanted. He got the deal done. So he lands there, and he goes to his meeting while his driver goes and picks the two games up. They load them up in the cargo hold of the plane and off he goes. He said they would have shit had they known he was hauling those games in the corporate jet.

Then he says they're horrible players and I asked him, why do all that. He says they only made 125 of them. That's the essence of the collector in all of us right there, but taken further than most of us would ever do.

RIP Joe.

2 months later
    #62 2 years ago
    Quoted from leckmeck:

Damn. Just discovered this after seeing Joe's TZ advertised for sale on the Pinside market today and then performing a search. Very sorry to hear. I used to know Joe during the heyday of RGP and purchased a couple of nice EM games from him.

He was a good pinhead. RIP Joe!

Quoted from AlexF:

O-din has been permanently banned from Pinside. In his words, "I got nuked."

Sorry to hear this as well. O-din is another good pinhead at heart.

#63 2 years ago

And Boilerman has slipped into obscurity.

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

And Boilerman has slipped into obscurity.

He's still around, everyone needs a break from this site!!

#65 2 years ago

Whatever happened to @currieddog? He used to post regularly in the Tech forum.

Never see his posts anymore.

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Whatever happened to currieddog? He used to post regularly in the Tech forum.
    Never see his posts anymore.

If you search pinsiders, he was last seen here 9/13. So still around too.

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

If you search pinsiders, he was last seen here 9/13. So still around too.

That’s good to know.

#68 2 years ago

Whatever happened to a Blonde Tall? Moderators don’t seem to vanish often.

#69 2 years ago

@rolf_martin_062, an EM Tech regular, hasn't been here in several months.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Whatever happened to a Blonde Tall? Moderators don’t seem to vanish often.

Xerico is mostly gone too. I think he's still active in the pin scene but haven't seen him since the pandemic started and shows shut down.

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Moderators don’t seem to vanish often.

Funny I seem to notice there's only a couple mods here anymore.

#72 2 years ago

Sad to hear that Joe Grenuk is gone. One of the good guys from way back when on RGP.

And thanks to those bringing up Rick Swanson. Truly one of the nicest people I've ever met! His stories were so great. Somewhere on RGP is a tale of him getting blinded in a shop and tangled up in a band saw blade, etc. Something nuts like that. He was always getting into something crazy.

3 weeks later
    #73 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

He's still around, everyone needs a break from this site!!

C'mon @boilerman. Stop lurking and chime in. Whatcha' up to?

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

rolf_martin_062, an EM Tech regular, hasn't been here in several months.

I seem to remember that he had been ill around a year ago though had been back here since. I hope he's doing ok and he's a good asset as he has good knowledge of multi-player machines and helped me out on a stubborn So76 that was giving me some grief.

2 months later
    #75 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

What happened to xtheblackknightx? The dude could be wordy but he knew his stuff. Always liked reading his posts.

I am not an "active" collector now, but rather a pinball historian.

I made the decision to leave the USA and live abroad again.
    I only returned in the past 6 months.

Pinball has become much less important after 30+ years of collecting/restoring. I accomplished what I set out to do, but unfortunately the pinball industry has distinctly and negatively changed.

I am not interested in any form of modern debate.

I provide technical assistance when a person cannot find answers elsewhere. I continue to provide very rare pinball artwork and backglasses for reproductions and restorations as needed.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Wow. That Guy was Legend.

He'll be back.

#79 2 years ago

I noticed Rdoyle1978 is gone too.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I noticed Rdoyle1978 is gone too.

Oh yeah he's posted he was stepping away for awhile

7 months later
    #81 1 year ago

Does anyone know what happened to @toyguy?
    He lived in Vermont. I believe his name is Dave. Hopefully he's ok.

20220727_170244 (resized).jpeg20220727_170244 (resized).jpeg
    9 months later
    #82 9 months ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

Sad to hear that Joe Grenuk is gone. One of the good guys from way back when on RGP.

I didn't know Joe, as I've only been in the hobby now for almost three years, but I purchased a minty Centaur from Joe's widow, who was selling off his collection, back in late 2021. Talked to her on the phone a few times at her home in Florida, and she was a delight. Bought the game sight unseen, and paid in full via check through the mail. From Wisconsin, I picked it up in eastern Ohio by a guy who purchased a few of Joes other machines, and was good enough to truck it back from Florida to Ohio. At the time I thought it was somewhat risky as I got a pretty decent price on it. It all seemed like a huge leap of faith, but after talking to her it put me at ease, and it all worked out so well. I was honored to own one of his restores. One really cool touch was his stenciling of the Bally logo on each of the game's legs, underneath a gorgeously slick layer of clearcoat. A game I'll never soon sell.

centaur (resized).jpgcentaur (resized).jpg
    #83 9 months ago

Does anyone remember this guy and/or what happened to him?

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 10.31.35 AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-06-22 at 10.31.35 AM (resized).png
    #84 9 months ago

Man, this guy was super high strung and hated me with a passion.

I'm having a flashback just posting this

pezpunk (resized).pngpezpunk (resized).png
    #85 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

[quoted image]

He started dipping out after iscored...mentioned him 3 years ago in the OG thread.

Quoted from bicyclenut:

Does anyone remember this guy and/or what happened to him?
    [quoted image]

Oh yeah Picard....old school.

#86 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

[quoted image]

he was wound tight - no doubt.

#87 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

[quoted image]

I miss Pez. He was entertaining.

#88 9 months ago

I was sorry see some of the core of RGP including Rick Swanson backed away from pinball, he had the most amazing stories including this one

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/_JIk7FafbCk/m/jKfdTzluFBsJ I always thought of him blaming his cat whenever I played my MB

If anyone is still in touch with him, tell him to stop by and let us know what he is up to. Man he killed me.

#89 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Is he the guy that designed iScored?

#90 9 months ago
    Quoted from KJL:

I was sorry see some of the core of RGP including Rick Swanson backed away from pinball,

Rick is a great man and some of his adventures funny as all get out. He couldn't go to Disney World without ending up in an Emergency Room.

His backing away from pinball may have started years ago. At Expo someone accused him of making up those stories, that none of them could have ever possibly happened.

Rick is sensitive and I know this hurt him. He told me he didn't want to be remembered for a bunch of lies.

Sad too. He was an important part of RGP, and supporter of Expo. He'd ship a game there to be part of the action and then sell it.

He is on Facebook, though I don't think he's very active there.

God speed Rick, what ever you are up to.

Your friend : LTG : )

#91 9 months ago
    Quoted from bicyclenut:

Is he the guy that designed iScored?

Yep

Edit: very nice guy...I think the EV talk might have put him over the edge; which it does for many.

#92 9 months ago
    Quoted from Dakine747:

I didn't know Joe, as I've only been in the hobby now for almost three years, but I purchased a minty Centaur from Joe's widow, who was selling off his collection, back in late 2021. Talked to her on the phone a few times at her home in Florida, and she was a delight. Bought the game sight unseen, and paid in full via check through the mail. From Wisconsin, I picked it up in eastern Ohio by a guy who purchased a few of Joes other machines, and was good enough to truck it back from Florida to Ohio. At the time I thought it was somewhat risky as I got a pretty decent price on it. It all seemed like a huge leap of faith, but after talking to her it put me at ease, and it all worked out so well. I was honored to own one of his restores. One really cool touch was his stenciling of the Bally logo on each of the game's legs, underneath a gorgeously slick layer of clearcoat. A game I'll never soon sell.[quoted image]

I actually painted those legs for Joe many years ago. I did few sets for him in different colors. Also did some for his playboy with the bunny logo on it. I had never met him in person but he was always very pleasant in the conversations we had via email.

#93 9 months ago

What ever happened to this guy? He used to be a regular on here although I’ve been so busy lately that I haven’t been posting much or restoring anything lately.

Hope he’s ok.

IMG_2692 (resized).pngIMG_2692 (resized).png
    1 week later
    #96 8 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He was highly emotional and opinionated!

Yeah, thats why felt something was missing

#97 8 months ago

@terryb
    https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/terryb

He had a great site that was very very helpful.

#98 8 months ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

[quoted image]

pezpunk has reactivated his account. He's doing great and still into pinball but not posting a lot. He bought a BH from me and is a super nice guy.

#99 8 months ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

pezpunk has reactivated his account. He's doing great and still into pinball but not posting a lot. He bought a BH from me and is a super nice guy.

Good to hear.

#100 8 months ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

I'm glad to know that and I'm certain he is a nice guy in different circumstances. But my attempts at going private with him never lasted more than a few days.

Howdy, Pez

There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whatever-happened-to/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.