(Topic ID: 357023)

Whatever happened to....

By timab2000

55 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

448177076_437695269118050_3470345130190090818_n (resized).jpg
    20240605_183231 (resized).jpg
    20240605_181054 (resized).jpg
    20240605_183235 (resized).jpg
    20240605_180853 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Josta_drink (resized).jpeg
    20231222_145734 (resized).jpg
    lets-go-base-ball.gif
    Screen Shot 2024-05-29 at 6.39.24 PM (resized).png
    THIS! (resized).jpg
    unnamed (resized).jpg
    puffy1 (resized).jpg
    13134e73dde50d78ec8dc75925e2cda3 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 9.08.08?PM (resized).png
    kfcbucket (resized).jpg
    There are 244 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 52 days ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Colonel Sanders Bucket List.

kfcbucket (resized).jpgkfcbucket (resized).jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 9.08.08?PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-05-28 at 9.08.08?PM (resized).png

#202 52 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Some of us have waited years for pinball to get good again, but since it hasn't, Jolt Cola and Pup N Taco seem more interesting to talk about.

Pup N Taco... Ha!
    You are an old school local.

#203 52 days ago

I went to one of those KFC's with a buffet 10 or so years ago in Cumberland, MD. Yeah....it kinda grossed me out. Especially the tray with a big vat of pudding in it, just formenting there all day. I remember thinking at the time that just about all of those buffets were gone elsewhere. I was never a big KFC person...and most of them around my area seemed to shut down or burn down and not reopen.

#204 52 days ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

If I leave right away I can be there for when they open.
    QSS

Can you swing by Florida and pick me up?

#205 51 days ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Pup N Taco... Ha!
    You are an old school local.

I used to work there. lol.

#206 51 days ago

In La Mirada we had a great independent grease pit called Puffy Taco, it was on Leffingwell.
    Don't think it was a chain???

#207 51 days ago

Not gone ! Arturo's Puffy Taco is still Alive.
    I'm shocked something cool from my 70's 80's childhood is still going strong.
    ... and its technically in Whittier.. but I lived across the street in La Mirada.

13134e73dde50d78ec8dc75925e2cda3 (resized).jpg13134e73dde50d78ec8dc75925e2cda3 (resized).jpgpuffy1 (resized).jpgpuffy1 (resized).jpg
    #208 51 days ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Well, this is fun. I was about to lament the loss of Jumpin’ Jack Doritos back in the 90’s, only to just now discover that they made a return a few years back.
    There’s hope boys! Sometimes this long lost stuff does return to us.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

They are definitely NOT the same recipe. Tasty msg bomb flavor but nothing like the explosion of fake pepper jack cheese flavor from the old days.

Worth a taste for dorito aficionados but a different flavor from the old days.

#209 51 days ago

Pretty much the same deal as these. When Doritos only had two varieties. Original and taco. There are rants all over the internet how the recent refakes are not the same. And I can vouch for that.

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg
    #210 51 days ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

There’s a KFC buffet in the next town over from me.

How much?

#211 51 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They are definitely NOT the same recipe. Tasty msg bomb flavor but nothing like the explosion of fake pepper jack cheese flavor from the old days.
    Worth a taste for dorito aficionados but a different flavor from the old days.

Lame. Had a feeling that was going to be the case. I shall try the new ones for the hell of it whenever I encounter them though.

#212 51 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Only if you are in your 60s or 70s. I hear kids actually still go outside!

When's the last time you saw a Wiffle Ball game in the street?

#213 51 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

the recent refakes are not the same. And I can vouch for that.[quoted image]

No proof but, I think this has to do with the removal of the dreaded Trans Fats. The cutting back or removal of said tasty fats killed the flavors of some of our favorite snacks. Isn't that right Chicken In A Biscuit!

#214 51 days ago
    Quoted from Oneironaut:No proof but, I think this has to do with the removal of the dreaded Trans Fats.

Perhaps, but the latest rendition of taco flavor reminds me of nacho cheese which didn't exist, but it's been between someone's toes for a while.

#215 51 days ago

I remember when we all weren’t tethered to cell phones, with heads bowed down to ‘the god’. And when we were in the day, WE ACTUALLY talked on them; what a concept!! And remembering phone numbers-using your brain to remember..remember when we could remember? Lol.

#216 51 days ago

I remember when people cared.

#217 51 days ago

Rockford Rum Wafers

Small round chocolate, worked great inside Christmas Refrigerator cookies.

LTG : )

#218 51 days ago

I remember when graffiti was shunned apon (except for train cars and selective ‘spots’. Driving through Seattle yesterday, on i5 through a beautiful city..anyways you get it; that’s what happens when you defund the police. Don’t worry i have fun things to say about the good days.

#219 51 days ago

THIS! (resized).jpgTHIS! (resized).jpg

When I was a kid back in the late sixties / early seventies, I remember seeing them going from the L.A. area to Oklahoma and Missouri even while I-40 was still being built.
    In 2017 I went to Missouri for the first time in 30 some odd years, and found that they either gone, were something else, or abandoned.
    Later I found out the few that are still left are mostly in the south-east.
    Screen Shot 2024-05-29 at 6.39.24 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2024-05-29 at 6.39.24 PM (resized).png

#220 51 days ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Not gone ! Arturo's Puffy Taco is still Alive.
    I'm shocked something cool from my 70's 80's childhood is still going strong.
    ... and its technically in Whittier.. but I lived across the street in La Mirada. [quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, once you head north on Colima or Santa Gertrudes, that line kind of blurs between those two cities.

Damn! I just looked it up. I've been up and down Leffingwell a lot and never noticed Puffy Taco before!

#221 51 days ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Get moving fellas!
    According to our research, only about four KFC buffets remain, located in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee; Louisville, Kentucky; Waynesboro, Virginia; and Weyburn, Saskatchewan, Canada.
    Read More: https://www.mashed.com/1332086/kfc-buffet-locations-exist-where-find/

There used to be one in Banning California.

#222 51 days ago

Yeah, there are no nice signs saying welcome to Whittier La Mirada, Brea or La Habra.. that whole area is just one giant Suburb, from the 605 east to the 57.

#223 51 days ago

Does anyone remember the name of the Arcade in the Fashion Square Mall in La Habra ?
    Noah's arcade was at La Mirada Mall.

#224 51 days ago
    Quoted from Oneironaut:

When's the last time you saw a Wiffle Ball game in the street?

Streets are dangerous these days.

lets-go-base-ball.giflets-go-base-ball.gif
    #225 50 days ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Kids going outside and playing, it seems archaic somehow.

Seems like every kid here in town owns an ebike. I see kids out and about playing after school. Young surfers with surfboard attachments to take them to any beach. My friends that grew up here and I agree kids spend way too much time on their phones, but they sure seem to be outside just like we were. Great weather definitely has an effect on people to go outside and enjoy the day here.

It's cool to see people over 70 hopping on electric bikes and getting exercise that wasn't really available before. It sure helps that our town is super bike friendly making it much safer than most places with small little bike lanes and drivers who don't look for them.

Granddaughters first Harley.

20231222_145734 (resized).jpg20231222_145734 (resized).jpg
    #226 50 days ago
    Josta_drink (resized).jpegJosta_drink (resized).jpeg
    #227 50 days ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Does anyone remember the name of the Arcade in the Fashion Square Mall in La Habra ?
    Noah's arcade was at La Mirada Mall.

I went there once. It was the only arcade I had ever seen a Simutrek Cube Quest at.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#228 50 days ago
    Quoted from KING-HENRY:

I remember when graffiti was shunned apon (except for train cars and selective ‘spots’. Driving through Seattle yesterday, on i5 through a beautiful city..anyways you get it; that’s what happens when you defund the police. Don’t worry i have fun things to say about the good days.

We had a famous graffiti artist "Cornbread". Guy tagged everything, I think there's an actual documentary about him.

https://whyy.org/articles/cornbread-the-first-graffiti-artist-shows-new-work-at-philadelphia-gallery/

#229 50 days ago

I wonder what ever happened to Tapeworm? That asshole that used to scratch "Tapeworm" into pinball cabinets and side rails. You guys ever come across a game that he had vandalized?

1 week later
    #231 37 days ago

Ace checked out

#232 37 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Pretty much the same deal as these. When Doritos only had two varieties. Original and taco. There are rants all over the internet how the recent refakes are not the same. And I can vouch for that.[quoted image]

I don't know about the US, but before there were Doritos, there were Hostess Taco and Zesty Cheese tortilla chips. I loved those taco chips and there is nothing on the market that comes even close to them this day.

In 1985 Hostess and Frito-Lay teamed up to make Taquitos, a flavour fiesta In 1988 they merged and the Pepsi owned Frito-Lay now added their U.S brands into the Canadian market, which included Ruffles, Cheetos, and Doritos. In 1992 they changed Taquitos to “Nacho Cheese” Doritos, later “Zesty” Doritos

The newer chips just were not the same, not even close.

Rob

#233 37 days ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

AIDS. Where did that disappear to?

Still a thing dude.

#234 37 days ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

taco chips and there is nothing on the market that comes even close to them this day.

Feel the same way about green onion Fandangos. Don't know who made them.

#235 37 days ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Ace checked out

Doesn't take much it seems.

#236 37 days ago

Arturo's Puffy Taco is alive and well, after last weeks discovery, my friends and I went last thursday afternoon and chowed down.
    4 Puffy Taco plate specials with 4 orange Whips.
    Tastes just like 1979.

There is still hope in the world.

20240605_180853 (resized).jpg20240605_180853 (resized).jpg20240605_181054 (resized).jpg20240605_181054 (resized).jpg20240605_183231 (resized).jpg20240605_183231 (resized).jpg20240605_183235 (resized).jpg20240605_183235 (resized).jpg
    #237 36 days ago

I remember peeling the foam wrapper off these

448177076_437695269118050_3470345130190090818_n (resized).jpg448177076_437695269118050_3470345130190090818_n (resized).jpg
    #238 36 days ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I remember peeling the foam wrapper off these
    [quoted image]

Oh for sure! I feel like this might have been at hotels a lot for some reason...?

#239 36 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh for sure! I feel like this might have been at hotels a lot for some reason...?

My parents owned a bar and would buy them for mixed drinks except Coke they had that on tap

2 weeks later
    #240 16 days ago

What ever happened to the panic thread? I just got out of the penalty box, and the game was over...

#241 16 days ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

What ever happened to the panic thread? I just got out of the penalty box, and the game was over...

Apparently, you did not get out before the lock. OBTL

#242 16 days ago
    Quoted from Oneironaut:

Apparently, you did not get out before the lock. OBTL

Locked before the lock!

LBTL

#243 15 days ago

Seems like most my posts get lock for one reason or another.

So maybe there is still time.

#244 15 days ago

Jack-In-The-Box deep fried burritos.

There are 244 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.