Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,007 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 55 seconds ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9187 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9191 (resized).jpeg
    20240408_161419 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8961 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mojo (resized).jpg
    IMG_0102 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_0103 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_9610 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9608 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9606 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20240331_165319713 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240331_165318272.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240330_231423284 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider romulusx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from leaffan67:

about to throw some wings on my Pit Barrel Cooker. best wings ever. about 12 people who have eaten them have bought a Pit Barrel! btw, i have nothing to do with the company, just love the product (especially for wings). Tomorrow i will throw a brisket in my Camp Chef Woodwind. I love it too. Watch the advert video on their website for entertainment. Pretty funny. Ends with a vegan chowing on ribs!

I love wings on the kettle with a vortex.

IMG_1196 (resized).JPGIMG_1196 (resized).JPGIMG_1227 (resized).JPGIMG_1227 (resized).JPG
    #39 2 years ago

Yes a couple chunks of hickory.
    I used McCormicks smokehouse maple for seasoning.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rodent:

I added a BGE pizza stone last Fall and no longer head out for pizza. It takes a bit of time + charcoal to hit 600F, but the hint of wood flavor reminds of East Coast pizza places with wood-fired ovens. I found larger chunks of charcoal work better than a ton of medium sized pieces for hitting 600F
    Central Market has dough balls ready to warm and let rise, and I typically make 2-3 pies from one of these.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I just use a $50 Weber like a real man...
    actually I had a green egg for a few years and they are great but for me they are way too much work.
    I may get one of those backyard pizza oven things though.

I use a Kettle Pizza accessory to make my pizza's on my Weber kettle.I use Kingsford charcoal and large wood chunks and get that bad boy up to 750 degrees!You know yourself how good these homemade pizza's can be off the grill.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

This is why you need two Big Green Eggs.
    [quoted image]

Is the back of your house clad with wood shakes?

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rodent:

unsure if this is Keto, but here's my wangs prep:
    2T olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced very fine
    1T Chili powder
    1/2t ground Cumin
    1/4t Onion powder
    1/4t garlic powder
    1/4t Kosher salt
    I usually double the above for 3 pounds of uncooked wings. Mix it all together in a bowl
    Add 1-1/2 pounds to a zip lock bag (or all in a larger bag if you have one that fits) and 1/2 of the spice mix. Zip tight and knead the spices until evenly mixed thru all of the bagged wings. Toss in the fridge for 4-24 hours, then add to a 225F preheated BGE. Cooking time is 2-3 hours (I cook until internal temp is at least 175F)
    For beef (I typically use this on a Chuck Roast (aka "poor man's brisket")) I will dry brine with Kosher salt for 24 hours, then dry rub with the following spice mix
    3T ground black Pepper
    1T Onion powder
    2t Mustard powder
    2t garlic powder
    1/2t ground Cumin
    2t Chili powder
    1/2t Cayenne powder
    I let the dry rub do it's thing for 2-4 hours before loading in to a 225F BGE with a couple strategically Pecan wood chunks
    ATB - R

Chuck roast is so good smoked on the weber kettle!I follow what use to be ABC BBQ it’s called SnS now on you tube

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

You are correct, XL and Med. The medium was my intro into the BGE world, kind of like that B/C list pin that got you going. I upgraded to the XL because the Med. has really no aftermarket/accesory support. I like to add butternut squash or potatos towards the end of the cook and the Med had no room for that. However, the medium does an awesome job smoking meat, but it is not a multi-tasker. I highly recommend a Large for main or second BGE. The Large, being the most common size, has lots of accessories that allow multi-level BBQing.
    After getting the XL I could not bring myself to sell the Med. I basically use it as an easy way to different types of cooking while the other BGE is cooking. My favorite way to use it is for wok'ing.

Yeah, I just moved though, so don't have the same setup. I am 75% low and slow. The hottest I cook on the XL are pizzas and try to keep around 500 F. When I'm starting the grills or doing burn outs the stand rolls out and I can get it away from the house. There is easily 6 inches of clearance just to be able to open the lid.

I just know when I'm using the Pizza-Kettle accessory on the Weber the flames from the oak wood chunks jumps hot and tall.It virtually turns into a brick pizza oven.My son just picked up a Weber Smoke Fire and after congratulating him and talking grilling I advised him to move it away from his Hardibacker siding when using!

#123 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Oh my, I can't imagine doing a proper pizza on a Weber (I assume kettle). You need serious insulation to get hot temps, like a ceramic grill. The guys on Eggheadforum say the BGE is bad for pizza, but those dudes are doing 1,000 degree neopolitan pizzas. They end up buying bespoke wood fire pizza ovens for their patio. I like me a nice 500 degree pizza cooked in 10 minutes on a stone. We do family style personal pizzas, so I'm constantly feeding the grill with pizzas. Also, for pizza you want good lump, no smoking woods. I was looking, but no pics. I need to fix that.

I use a combination of charcoal and large chunks of wood to bring up temp to around 750•I’m not trying to maintain these temps for very long,I can get a couple done and if I want more just throw more wood on the fire and bring temp up

D2D17851-728B-4F33-9F70-19ED2987D1D9 (resized).pngD2D17851-728B-4F33-9F70-19ED2987D1D9 (resized).png

#125 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballer247:

Thick a$$ reverse sear ribeye on the Weber Smokey Mountain, finished on the trusty old Weber Kettle.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Love it obviously I love the Weber kettle but seriously thinking of picking up a Smokey Mountain?

#130 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballer247:

I highly recommend the WSM, awesome charcoal smoker! There's only 2 of us now (kids gone) so I bought the 14" and it's been great for us. If you're cooking consistently for 3 - 4 people or more I would get the 18" or 22".

Thanks I just started the hunt but instead of a WSM for myself I found a almost new Smoke Fire for my son for $475.
    Still on the hunt for a lightly used WSM.

1 month later
    #202 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

I also use a pellet smoker, it’s a knock off treager (z-grill). I respect the heck out of you guys who use briquettes/wood/lump charcoal...
    In my experience the temp doesn’t have to be super high to get the wings crispy. I maybe go 375 max if I’m getting impatient..
    It’s important to dry off the marinade before applying your rub, and after applying the rub let the wings sit for 15/20min they’ll start to sweat. That’s the salt bringing out some moisture which I think helps get them crispy.
    While they’re on the smoker I do flip them a couple times and move them around the hot spots.
    They really are crazy! I feel like I’m paying almost double compared to last year.

GFS sales a 4# bag jumbo cut chicken wings for $26 that use to cost $13 before coved bullshit.
    I start by drying wings with a lot of paper towels and then I season them up.Then I put wings uncovered in refrigerator over night.This drys out the skin which in return helps to crisp them up.

IMG_1748 (resized).JPGIMG_1748 (resized).JPGIMG_2884 (resized).PNGIMG_2884 (resized).PNG
    5 months later
    #402 2 years ago

What’s your opinions on Meat Church’s Holy Voodoo seasoning for chicken breast and pork shoulder?

#404 2 years ago
    Quoted from Soapman:

One of best ones they make. I just about us it on everything.

Thanks for feedback

#405 2 years ago

Will I took the recommendation and got some!

88A87BC4-2E0A-4617-8A6B-E5191A41C777 (resized).jpeg88A87BC4-2E0A-4617-8A6B-E5191A41C777 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #416 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

Beef short ribs are done. Just about to wrap & rest for an hour.

What kind of prep did you do before smoking?Did you do a rub seasoning and let sit for an hour or two.Is oak the best wood for beef?

1 week later
    #435 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

No, just soapy. My wife and kids didn't notice, but since I knew about it, I could taste it, even when eating left overs. It's very faint, but I'll be damn I wasn't going to throw it out. My son probably didn't taste because he overloads with BBQ sauce. The rest of us don't sauce, but when I used in stir fry, I could overpower it. My wife things its all in my head.

I would’ve tasted it too.I’ve never sprayed simple green on Chuck roast but I’ve poured the wrong amount of a seasoning into a rub recipe and that’s all I could taste lol
    I love Chuck roast low and slow on the Weber kettle.Poor mans brisket

2 weeks later
    #452 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

the green was almost like adding a veggie.

We've all done shit like that.I think my favorite story was the guy who was resting his first brisket
    He checked the temp after it had been off the smoker for awhile and it was reading 150 so he pull it back in the smoker to bring temp back up to 195.Brisket was a little dry!

#460 2 years ago

I use to buy my two/20#bags of Kingsford charcoal at Home Depot on Memorial Day and Labor Day fo $9.60
    Now I get it at Sam 's two/$20. I would only buy charcoal twice a year as there was no limits back then.The good old days

3 weeks later
    #477 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I was reading an article by a guy Kenji last night. I heard he was an authority on SV. Like Vid said, it will absorb smoke after the bath, but uncooked meat does absorb better. He said the major difference is you won't get a smoke ring. The smoke ring isn't actually caused by the smoke, but rather the environmental conditions of the long and slow cooking process. It can somewhat be added using pink salt in the rub

I’ve always read poultry mainly takes on smoke in the early stage of the cook.I’ll add a single chunk of hickory when I do my 4# Butterball Turkey breast for lunch meat.
    Boars Head $12.99 per lb
    Turkey breast on Weber kettle $2.85 per lb.

1 month later
    #502 2 years ago

If he’s talking about thermometer I would recommend Thermoworks Smoke

#519 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

The Orion has fascinated me ever since I saw on for sale. Cool to see you put it to good use. It's looks like something designed by a genious, but not loved because people don't understand. I might have to get one just because. However, I don't have much room; see tied it back to pinball.

That’s the problem I have no more room on the patio.One large Blackstone 36” model and two Weber Kettle gold’s

1 week later
    #534 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Smoked 4 pork shoulders totally 28 lbs or so for a thank you gesture to my kids daycare workers.
    The pulled pork turned into butter and the flavor was perfect.
    Took 13 hours.
    I wrapped it up after reaching stall, but I feel that prevents from producing more bark…
    Opinions??
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

The bark should already be established before you wrap so the bark won’t scrape off when you do wrap.Usually stall happens around 160

#554 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Hey man....I am trying to smoke this damn goose I just plucked from the local park. I don't know what I am doing wrong man, but I cant keep this fucker lit!
    [quoted image]

This is a very rare Howard Hughes goose.

#578 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Sometimes I just thrown on a pork butt late and let it cook until I good to bed. This could probably use 1 more hour, but tasted good anyway. The cut pics was after being in the fridge a couple days.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Try this with seasoned Chuck roast sometime.

1 week later
    #582 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

just some brats
    [quoted image]

Does your wife laugh at your brat holders or call you a dumass?

#590 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Made a brisket sunday. Taste was out of this world. Little on the done side though but not dry. They say 165 to 175. I finished at 178. Going to go for 165 next time.
    [quoted image]

205 is correct but I love the Qbert’
    cutting board!

1 week later
    #613 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gotemwill:

Local pork butt, 10 hours on the Weber Kettle with a Slow ‘n Sear.

Slow and Sear for almost everything

3 weeks later
    #687 1 year ago

Hey Ryan that pineapple looks great.What kind of rub do you use for the pork butts?

#691 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I think I pm'd you the recipe once or at least ingredient list. I don't actually measure things, make a big batch, and pretty much use on everything. It's a Henry Soo replica.
    Salt, pepper, cane sugar, maple sugar, paprika, chipotle powder, garlic, citric acid, Worcestershire powder, shitake mushroom powder, and msg

Thanks I see it forgot you had sent that.Happy Grillin

2 weeks later
    #715 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Just took the maiden voyage on my new Weber Smokfire EPX6. Went with some baby back racks and they turned out great!
    [quoted image]

I watched when Weber released their pellet grill and there was a few early issues that I believe they resolved with the gen 2 release.
    Could you reveiw this or is it too early?This is on my list.

#727 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

It's definitely early and I am absolutely not an expert but I'll give it a go:
    I did the same research as you with the gen 1 issues and was lucky enough to have a coworker with the smaller gen2 that recommended I look at the newer Weber. I have a 24" Pit Boss right next to it and have enjoyed smoking on it for a long time now but had been contemplating getting into the pellet game for a while. The 24" Kamado is great with the box fan upgrade on the bottom vent that allows precise control of the temperature and Wi-Fi control connectivity/alerts. The reason that I was mainly looking into pellet grills was #1 size. I could barely get a large brisket onto the grate and certainly couldn't do much more than that without having most of it be completely inaccessible on the lower level. #2 was to increase the ease of changing wood flavors and having limited supply to quality lump charcoal in varying flavors.
    The grate is very large with just the main grate and the upper (which I haven't even bothered installing yet), definitely takes it to another level. Another great feature to this smoker is the genuine ability to use it like a grill. I have a Genesis 2 6 burner which is great but in the winter with cold temps, my propane doesn't flow very well. I usually have to try and keep a tank in the garage to keep it warm enough to use in the winter but sometimes I have to resort to keeping a tank in the house. The EPX6 comes with the same flavorizer bar set up as my genesis and while I haven't had the opportunity to use it in that capacity yet, my coworker says he does it all the time and it works great.
    I will say that I was surprised about how fast pellet grills go through pellets. Again, this is my first pellet so I have nothing to compare it to. I am used to a Costco sized bag of El Diablo Lump mesquite lasting me months of extensive smoking.
    I have been more then satisfied with my Genesis 2, my Weber Q, and every interaction that I have had with Weber customer service, so for me it was a no brainer once I saw the EPX6 announced. The worst part was the wait for it to get in stock somewhere.
    I hope that helps but if there is anything specific that you wanted to ask me about it, definitely don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for all the info!I’m contemplating getting EX4 for patio room sake.Already kind of crowded .

BAB3B384-E965-4988-8334-534425E524C1 (resized).jpegBAB3B384-E965-4988-8334-534425E524C1 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #742 1 year ago

For you guys that use wood chunks from Weber for smoking Do you use the the pieces that have the bark?Does it change flavor?

#743 1 year ago

I had a craving!

21A78D13-2AB4-4C9B-889F-4CBF413E01F8 (resized).jpeg21A78D13-2AB4-4C9B-889F-4CBF413E01F8 (resized).jpegA5E90882-D17B-40B6-AEDD-E22D70A65FDB (resized).jpegA5E90882-D17B-40B6-AEDD-E22D70A65FDB (resized).jpeg
    #745 1 year ago
    Quoted from GoodManners:

My experience is bark doesn't change the flavour. And I've eaten a lot of Q all over the USA....

Thanks

#748 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Those are the biggest Rocky Mountain Oysters I have ever seen!

Dare I ask?

#758 1 year ago

I don’t consider grilling and smoking work at all.And I love it when my wife and kids go crazy for something I’ve cooked.

#783 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

The factory setup is a “chip tray” above the burner. I put fist sized chunks of wood on it and the simply smolder. I add more wood every 30 to 60 minutes for the first few hours of the cook and then stop adding it for the remainder.
    [quoted image]
    I also did a “mailbox mod” to my smoker. However, it doesn’t work great. The typical smoker sucks air through the mailbox via convection. On mine, it actually pushes air out of the smoker and through the mailbox. Thus I use a small fan to push the smoke into the smoker. Annoying. I actually think I’ve outgrown this smoker. Damn it’s seen a lot of use!

I guess I'm just a basic bitch!lol

IMG_4353 (resized).PNGIMG_4353 (resized).PNG
    1 week later
    #807 1 year ago

Smoking a turkey today...
    [quoted image]</

Definitely the best way to cook a Turkey on the Weber Kettle

2 weeks later
    #831 1 year ago
    Quoted from vidguy:

Thanks, it’s been a great smoker. I really want a stick burner at some point, but I have three kids under 7 and can’t tend a fire all day. On a basket of charcoal and wood chunks this guy will hold 225* to 275* for 16 hours. It’s technically their small cabinet smoker but can hold six pork butts or three briskets with the racks set right.
    Only real negative is the weight. It’s 500 pounds of steel so I’m not moving it too far.

Damn did you say 500lbs.The fucking grab bars probaly weigh 11lbs.

2 months later
    #1067 1 year ago

Anybody ever use McCormick Smokehouse Maple for chicken wings?

Quoted from PinMonk:

We're not in that big of a town (100k) and our walmart had $5.6 million in inventory shrinkage (aka shoplifting/theft) last year. That's crazy to me.

Quoted from Goyomex:

Reviews are less than stellar, but $25 ain't too bad!

Quoted from StoneyCreek:

I'm looking for a thermometer that I can leave in during cooking. not a wireless probe, just a thermo that's designed to operate at high temps. any suggestions?

Look at Thermo Works Smoke

1 week later
    #1080 1 year ago

I found two unopened bags of Weber hickory chunks that are approximately 13 years old.
    Will they still smoke and add the flavor that’s expected from newer?

#1083 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Wood is wood, so you should be just fine.

That’s what I was thinking.But since this is for a Thanksgiving spatchcock turkey on the Weber kettle I went ahead and brought a small bag of Weber hickory chunks.
    I went on line and found a slew of differing opinions!

#1088 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

What's your setup? I prefer chunks to chips as well. Even if you soak chips they burn up too fast.
    I'm doing the Mad Max method again this year for my turkey on the BGE. I have to pickup up a few things tomorrow and I'll pick up applewood and cherry because I'm almost out. I like to mix the two for turkey.
    Mad Max
    https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/mad-max-turkey-method/

Just offset slow n sear on the kettle.Spatcock allows for a more even and quicker(about 2 hours).The nice thing is the house stays cooler and the turkey is never dry!

IMG_2543 (resized).PNGIMG_2543 (resized).PNG
    #1105 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Would prefer not to use the brine method.

Are you talking about not dry brining?I just salt it with kosher salt as if to taste and put it uncovered in the refrigerator overnight.Just don’t add salt to your seasoning the next day.

#1107 1 year ago

Turkey is Turkey. Lol

#1112 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

No, turkey is turkey.

My bad.

Quoted from RyanStl:

I have heard others say this and I don't believe that store brine is anything like a wet brine that I do. I use lots of salt, brown sugar, honey, bay leaves, peppercorns, and cinnamon sticks boiled first to get a real nice flavor.

The Butterball premium has 200 mg of sodium in each serving.So I usually dry brine our turkey with 4 teaspoons of salt.I’m other words check your brands ingredients and adjust as needed.I make up a season paste with nine different seasons but no salt.

#1140 1 year ago
    Quoted from MaxIsDead:

It’s coming along nicely. 12 hrs in 4 to go
    [quoted image]

Strange bird man?

#1164 1 year ago

I’ve noticed a lot of spatchcock Thanksgiving turkeys this year.
    I’m sold on this approach.My wife use to make the turkey until I did a spatchcock turkey on the Weber Kettle three years ago.Advantages is no hot kitchen, more room in oven for side and perfectly cooked moist (for days) Butterball turkey!
    I made this one at Son’s house with around sixteen adults and the grandkids.I didn’t say a word but the complements were rolling in lol.
    I was stressed for a week about it even though Ive done this at my house the last two years but going on the road is a little more difficult.
    Two 14lb. Turkeys gone by end of day

#1177 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Little late... Just saw this on slickdeals...
    https://www.thermoworks.com/signals/
    Cyber Monday Deal: 30% off!!!
    I bit the bullet and bought this finally!!! Glad I waited over the weekend as it went from 20 to 30%. Nice Savings.

Great company.I have the Thermoworks Smoke and it’s definitely made things easier and more accurate!

#1199 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

I knew it my cheap ass PitBoss pellet smoker was not giving me proper readings!! Had a feeling it was running hotter than I expected.
    I’ve only cooked in my new smoker handful of times so I don’t know the unit very well have it behaves.
    Using my handy dandy Signals would make it easier to understand what is happening.
    FYI, I placed the ambient thermometer at the right center location a few inches away from my Pork Butt.
    Nonetheless, it’s great doing a smoke on Football Sunday (oh, sorry. American Football).
    [quoted image]

ThermoWorks is the best!I have the Smoke and a MK4 pin.I can’t cook without them

#1210 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kevlar51:

I think those might be hickory nuts

What deez nutz?

#1215 1 year ago

Just getting opinions on grilling gloves.I have big hands so the ones wife got me last year are two small.
    I like to get something that fits well and is still flexible.Not wanting the large mitt type.Any suggestions?
    Thanks

#1217 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I use welding gloves when I need protection.

Well I guess with Covid and all the other shit nowadays it pays to be safe lol
    Seriously I’ll check into that I can’t remember what they are like.I took welding in shop class but that was a hundred years ago

#1221 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

When I have to grab the meat for any reason I jsut burn myself

Me too but when your turning 26 chicken wings they get kind of hot.

480D4A54-1231-4D45-81B7-D098C8B1E4EF (resized).png480D4A54-1231-4D45-81B7-D098C8B1E4EF (resized).png
    2 weeks later
    #1246 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Arm hair is underated. Long tongs help.

Quoted from Gotemwill:

I did a 8lb butt Christmas Eve on my Weber kettle with a slow ‘n sear. First time doing an overnight smoke. The temps were in the single digits. Was done in about 15 hours and had a couple hours to rest which was a first.
    It was a hit with sides of baked mac ‘n cheese, stewed tomatoes, crock style baked beans and freezer pickles from the garden.

Kettle cooking with the slow n sear!
    Have you ever tried a couple Chuck roast like that?

4 months later
    #1500 11 months ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

Meat Church makes some of the best rubs around. Big fan of the Holy Gospel and Fajita rubs from them.

Quoted from zermeno68:

Hot dang!! Those look good and the price you got for those big wings is a super steal! My local Walmart has them for $4.10 lb!! Let’s not even talk about how much my Albertsons charge.
    Phew… I need to locate some cheap store in the future to stock up on these items.
    Screw buying local (for me at least). My little town is hitting my wallet hard.

GFS has great Jumbo wings! My local is $12.99 for 4lbs.Holy Voodoo the night before cook uncovered will help with crispy wings

#1501 11 months ago

Anybody ever had a pork shoulder stall at 140 degrees?

#1503 11 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Not @ 140*f, but certainly @ 155 or so.
    It's normal.
    Wait it out, or wrap it (that's what I do)

I’m asking because usually 155 to 160 according to my Thermoworks Smoke but the Swift brand shoulder stalled at 140 to 143.That’s the first time I’ve had that happen.

#1506 11 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Could be the ambient humidity, spritzing or something we haven't considered.
    If you are stalled, wrap it up and forget about it.
    It's an easy cut of meat, you can't mess it up
    If wrapping it early kills the bark, unwrap at 195*F and finish with the grill @ 400*

Exactly!Pushed to 145• double wrapped and took it quickly up to 207• Two hours later we were wolfin down homemade corn tortillas!

#1531 11 months ago
    Quoted from sfspanky:

It's happened before. Normally around 160, but I've see 140-145. The cut probably had a lot of collagen material that was absorbing energy as it converted to gelatin. Wrapping (as I note you did) will definitely accelerate the process, but I am against wrapping as it affects the texture of the bark. Either way, not common to stall that low, but I've seen it happen.
    Corn tortillas... nice touch. Touché!
    Brian

I agree I normally just burn thru the stall but dinner was rapidly approaching lol.This was the first time I hit a 145• stall so it threw me off a bit. The bark was set for the most part and it was phenomenal on those corn tortillas which has quickly become one of my favorites

1 week later
    #1561 11 months ago
    Quoted from Pinball1987:

I can’t stop this feeling ohs cha cha oga oga oga cha Cha deep inside of me a cha cha.ribs ribs ribs what goes best with playing pinball on a hot 4 of July night after the fireworks? Ribs smoother on that bbq sauce and takes bite while playing your favorite pin.

That’s the last thing I want to feed guest playing my pins lol All that sticky sauce on everything!

3 weeks later
    #1716 10 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Cast Iron Grill Grates for 22" Weber $38 (reg 73)
    This is cheaper than the replacement wire grate; and will up your grilling game
    https://tools.woot.com/offers/grill-grate-replacement-for-weber-22z?ref=w_cnt_wp_0_74

What do you fellow kettle guys think of this deal?

#1719 10 months ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

This is a screaming deal. I have a 26" Weber that I need to upgrade to cast iron, will probably run me around $100 after tax.

What about the Woot part of the picture?

1 week later
    #1792 10 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Cast Iron Grill Grates for 22" Weber $38 (reg 73)
    This is cheaper than the replacement wire grate; and will up your grilling game
    https://tools.woot.com/offers/grill-grate-replacement-for-weber-22z?ref=w_cnt_wp_0_74

Will I got one the other day and now I just need to season it.Any suggestions?

#1800 10 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I usually put the thinnest coat of Crisco on it, then crank the heat to 700*f
    You can put another coat of seasoning on the interior of the grill while you are at it, protecting it from rusting out

Done thanks for posting!!!
    Got some cheap ribeyes for tonight for maiden voyage lol

#1816 10 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Nice uniform ribs.

Well he does live in St Louis

#1818 10 months ago

More ribeyes tonight with the Weber 22” cast iron grate!Man this is a game changer.I realize I’m late to the party on this but damn what a difference Especially for that grate sale price (see what I did there) of $35 One less restaurant dinner!

#1824 10 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

She's a beaut

When they were offering discounts on the retro Webers that color stayed the original higher price!

#1834 10 months ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I have 3 Webers now, lol. And a flattop. Personally I wouldn’t get anything bigger if it’s rarely needed. You look like you did just fine!

Yeah I must be a brother from another mother!!!

IMG_1158 (resized).jpegIMG_1158 (resized).jpegIMG_3243 (resized).jpegIMG_3243 (resized).jpeg
    1 month later
    #1952 9 months ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Father’s Day/Birthday present from the wife, it’s a beautiful grill.[quoted image][quoted image]

So pretty

#1961 9 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:If you have been paying $4 for the little 3oz bottles of Montreal Steak Seasoning, here is 7 POUNDS on sale today for $20
    I don't think I could make it myself in the USA for that price!
    3,963 servings per container
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005D8TWEE
    [quoted image]
    I would probably bag and freeze this, or split with some friends at church.
    Of course, it will be a miracle if Amazon can deliver this without it's heavy weight cracking the plastic cap and all the spices spilling out into the un-padded box.

If only this was Holy Voodoo

#1964 9 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Man I gotta say, after all the hype, Holy Voodoo let me down. I don't much care for it. I do quite like Holy Cow though!

I used McCorrmicks smokehouse maple but the wife and kids did the Holy Voodoo.What is the Holy Cow good on?

#1971 8 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Its really good on any beef or pork, hell its pretty good on everything tbh. Holy VooDoo is just Their Voodoo and Holy Cow rubs mixed together. The holy cow is just a lot more black peppery and way less sweet. The sweetness level in holy voodoo is what I don't like so much, but I can see why it would appeal to many. Speaking of McCormicks, I am in love with their applewood rub. Some of that rub on a pork chop then sprinkled with Holy Cow, is awesome!
    I think I'm mostly through my "try every rub I can" phase now. I'm just trying to get through my last 15ish bottles of random seasonings. I think my keepers will be Slap Ya Mamma (hot), Montreal Steak, McCormick Applewood, Holy Cow, and thats probably about it. Everything else I need I will just make myself as I keep a good stock of various seasoning staples in my cupboard at all times.

Are you referring to this one:

IMG_8344 (resized).pngIMG_8344 (resized).png
    #1986 8 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Yeah, animals aren't dumb. Even if he did get in it he wouldn't have hurt himself with the contents of the rub. My buddies dog eats watermelon. Never sawy that before.

Our two dogs get large carrots or celery stalks for an after dinner snack.

#1992 8 months ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Both our dogs LOVE carrots.

Turns their poop to a brighter shade of orange lol

1 week later
    #2020 8 months ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

One of my favorite BBQ tools, I love drinking beer next to the grill and shooting any flies foolish enough to land in the vicinity.
    [quoted image]

Killing Spree

1 week later
    #2035 8 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Vid, that horizontal smoker looks awesome! Good deal.

With a Weber Kettle side kick!!

#2036 8 months ago
    Quoted from WonderMellon:

Walking through Lidl over the weekend looking for dinner for the week. They had thick cut bone in pork chops. Put them in the Sous Vide (thanks for the heads up on that a few months ago Vid) and then finished them up on the Blackstone flat top.
    Used my rib rub for the Sous Vide and then added some olive oil and black pepper for the sear. Came out awesome![quoted image]

Last night Weber kettle slow and sear with rub and big ole chunk of hickory for smoke

IMG_8414 (resized).pngIMG_8414 (resized).png
    #2051 8 months ago

Question for those who’ve used Slap yo mama Cajun hot.Is this a good rub for chicken breast?

#2073 8 months ago
    Quoted from RVH:

Ok you sold me.
    Yuck

Lol

2 weeks later
    #2116 7 months ago

Settle an argument for us please.
    My brother brushes vegetable oil on Chuck roast before seasons and cooks it.I feel like the vegetable oil under the seasoning won’t allow bark to set.What say you?

#2163 7 months ago
    Quoted from Lostcause:Cheap, cheerful and tasty spit roast bbq chicken. Sprinkled some Slap ya Mama seasoning at the start and Basted bbq sauce (Bulls-eye) near the end and also put the charcoal underneath at the end to crisp up.
    Good old Weber kettle with a third party electric spit roast added, so good.

Big Weber Kettle fan here.Tell me more about spit roast and was that slap yo mamma original or hot?
    I do love Bullseye original!

#2167 7 months ago
    Quoted from Lostcause:

Was original, will buy some hot as that’s how I like it but not for everyone.
    I have the black painted version of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0757SCB4M/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?pd_rd_i=B0757SCB4M&pd_rd_w=A4fZU&content-id=amzn1.sym.84ea1bf1-65a8-4363-b8f5-f0df58cbb686&pf_rd_p=84ea1bf1-65a8-4363-b8f5-f0df58cbb686&pf_rd_r=J6T9R71Y5QNHGKRGPRSJ&pd_rd_wg=Opd5F&pd_rd_r=8e766138-93ea-4860-9a35-c93287798559&s=outdoors&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&th=1
    Lid fits on perfect.
    The mains cable is long and rubberised heat resistant type, used it quite a few times and cleans up like new. Motor is good, no issues yet. 2nd year.
    Much cheaper than the Webber version here in the UK, you can fit 2 whole chickens at a time.
    Was bloody delicious!

Wow great price!!
    Short of taking lid off and checking with a MK 4 pen how can you know what temp chicken is?

#2186 7 months ago

I smoked about eight pounds of Chuck roast on the Weber today and towel wrapped and rested in cooler for two hours.Half hour seems too short for rest period???

#2189 7 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Oddly, that meat does kinda look like a corned beef.
    Did you only rest for 30 minutes?
    A big brisket needs a couple of hours minimum. I usually shoot for 4 to 12 hours of hold/rest.
    If guest were all hanging around waiting, I'd stick a temp probe in and not cut until the temp fell to 140*f

Sometimes it’s hard for hungry folks to wait but you must lol

#2194 7 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Yeah.. you zeroed in on some of my inexperience.. which is doubted the process. I trusted the “temp” rather than knowing that when I probed the other side of the brisket it felt a little tough.
    Spite the temp being within 200-205 range I should have let it continued to cook.
    Also, low and slow is also factor I consistently consider.

And let it rest for a couple hours at least

1 week later
    #2242 7 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

That's a lot of meat!

That’s what she said!

#2251 7 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

25, lol. She’s a chihuahua mutt. 14 years old and still runs around like she’s 3.
    We had an awesome dachshund, but when my boys were young, one of them jumped off the couch and landed on her. That was the end for the dachshund…

Poor kid Did you have to get him therapy for the chihuahua incident?

#2278 6 months ago

Just a question for those who have used both.If I have Holy Voodoo and we all love it here is it worth buying Holy Gospel?

#2291 6 months ago
    Quoted from Kevlar51:

I like MSG and salt. Though my burgers get a lot of stuff mixed in along the way. It’s pretty close to meatloaf.

I like to make the 1/3# burgers and then press with large spoon in the middle and add a tlbs. of Bob’’s steak sauce and zesty Italian dressing overnight

#2298 6 months ago
    Quoted from Cudaman:

Great...and I just bought Holy Voodoo as I wanted a little more kick. Since I haven't opened it, perhaps I can return it for Gospel??
    Out of curiosity, has anyone found a great burger seasoning? I actually like Weber Gourmet Burger seasoning with some added pepper.

Quoted from Cudaman:

Great...and I just bought Holy Voodoo as I wanted a little more kick. Since I haven't opened it, perhaps I can return it for Gospel??
    Out of curiosity, has anyone found a great burger seasoning? I actually like Weber Gourmet Burger seasoning with some added pepper.

Keep the Voodoo!It’s great on chicken wings and on turkey breast.

#2316 6 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I mean....I guess, in the sense they all cook food in a heated enclosed space. Honestly a pellet grill is closer to an oven than a smoker is. Either way, it would also bother me if anyone called their grill or smoker an oven lol

I hear you.I smoke turkey breast and other meats in my Weber kettle but still call it a Weber Kettle lol
    I’m thinking about picking up a 14”Weber Smokey Mountain just don’t know if it would make much difference?

2 months later
    #2745 4 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Too much smoke! I use applewood and don't know if I could ever have too much. You just have to make sure it is nice smoke, so let it run 30 minutes before putting meat on to get nice clean smoke.

Clean smoke is the key!
    I had to learn to be patient with my Weber kettles.

#2764 4 months ago

Are they still heart healthy?lol

#2767 4 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Turkey is brining and rub is made - ready for a smoke first thing Christmas morning!

Spatchcock?

#2770 4 months ago

I use my Weber Kettle so it’s a different process.I think the main thing I do that helps keep it moist isn’t to kosher salt brine overnight and thermal control.

IMG_2543 (resized).pngIMG_2543 (resized).png

1 week later
    #2794 3 months ago

Any rub suggestions for boneless pork chops on the Weber kettle?

1 week later
    #2810 3 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

Wife got me a pizza oven attachment for the rectec, I was skeptical but wow did it perform last night. I know worthless without pics, but it was a 750 degree extravaganza for the first time. Will get pics next time. Lol

Flavor is awesome when it’s wood fired heat!I do this with my Weber Kettle and Kettle Pizza accessory

3 weeks later
    #2858 81 days ago

Game on 7:35
    Pork butt 10lbs. Kosher brine
    Killer Hogs on the kettle with the Slow & Sear

IMG_9595 (resized).jpegIMG_9595 (resized).jpegIMG_9596 (resized).jpegIMG_9596 (resized).jpeg
    #2862 80 days ago
    Quoted from StoneyCreek:

Backing into a 6PM dinner.....including a 2 hour cooler rest I guess I could get a good 10 hour smoke if I started it at 6AM. I'm a lazy sack so get up at 0-0dark-thirty isn't real appealing. I may suck it up and do it the less risky traditional way.

Oven firing for 10 hours is expensive!!

#2865 80 days ago
    Quoted from StoneyCreek:

I don't know the $, but I imagine that the electric smoker running 10 hours + the cost of pellets would be more expensive thatn just running my electric oven. Anyone ever done that math?

My bad I thought you were doing this
    $3.75 for charcoal and hickory chunk

IMG_3243 (resized).jpegIMG_3243 (resized).jpeg

#2867 79 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you live where it's cold in the winter, my guess is that the cost of running 10 hours in the oven (gas or electric), would simply offset the cost of running the furnace.

Definitely not if he has electric ribbon heat

#2872 79 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

A small consolation is that all the pellets are usually on clearance every winter
    Lowe's on Thursday:[quoted image]

I miss the Home Depot labor and memorial days sales.Kingsford double pack 18# bags for $9.99z
    I’d walk out with at least 12 bags

2 weeks later
    #2897 64 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I'll have to look that up. Looks cool and different.

In reality it’s a pain in the ass lol

#2899 64 days ago
    Quoted from bruinfan:

Slightly off topic here, but I need some help on how to cook a (thawed) frozen Turkey breast for sandwiches. I am thinking doing it on the grill, sear and then indirect, like I do tri-tip. But, this is poultry, not beef, and it’s boneless…so, I’m not sure if it’s the right approach here.
    Does anyone have a good recipe/method for this?
    [quoted image]

I usually offset smoke with my Weber Kettle slow n sear with hickory chunks

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider romulusx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ya-smoking?tu=romulusx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.