Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,000 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by vidguy
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9187 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9191 (resized).jpeg
    20240408_161419 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8961 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mojo (resized).jpg
    IMG_0102 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_0103 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_9610 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9608 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9606 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20240331_165319713 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240331_165318272.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240330_231423284 (resized).jpg
    20240324_204739 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jazman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1034 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You guys know I'm a big fan of SOUS VIDE for perfectly cooking meats that could go south in a few seconds of overcooking (like backstraps of venison).
    But now the kids are Sous Viding in their Ultrasonic cleaners to tenderize the meat without ruining the flavor.
    Most pinsiders have all the equipment already at home....

Um... I'm intrigued and scared all at the same time...

3 weeks later
    #1092 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Decided to try cooking NY strip steaks in the smoker on super smoke for an hour, then searing on the gas grill for a couple minutes to finish. Ran them through the tenderizer stamp a few times, put some rub on them, and threw them in the smoker. Turned out really delicious. My son said they reminded him more of ribs with how tender the chew was, and I would agree.
    Turned out so well, I'm doing more tonight, this time enough to have leftovers. Last night there were none.

I've never known anyone to use a tenderizer. Do you think it really buys you anything over just preparing it well?

I like my steaks on the rare side of medium rare and have always avoided those because of the contamination it introduces... I guess if you cook it to done then it wouldn't matter...

Jaz

#1178 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Little late... Just saw this on slickdeals...
    https://www.thermoworks.com/signals/
    Cyber Monday Deal: 30% off!!!
    I bit the bullet and bought this finally!!! Glad I waited over the weekend as it went from 20 to 30%. Nice Savings.

I went cheap and will be trying this knockoff. Will be interesting to see how our experiences compare (ordered but don't have it yet)...
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XNTJKY4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

#1183 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

This 10lb no wrap/no sprits pork butt went on this morning around 1a.m… 1st pic-8a.m, 2nd-12pm, 3rd-3pm and finished around 4pm at 199 with time to rest… The took over 3 hours and tested my patience to not wrap. Came out good though.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Excellent! I find I never have to think about wrapping pork shoulder. There's plenty of fat so drying out is never really a consideration. Now brisket, can be a different story.

Looks fantastic!!!

3 months later
    #1339 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Got me a new toy. Didn’t smoke today but super impressed with this thing so far
    [quoted image][quoted image]

How much was that bad boy?

Is that "blue box" mac and cheese?!?

#1351 1 year ago

Was gone at the area ones here last week when I looked (despite Brickseek saying they were likely there)... So not putting a lot of faith in that site for the WI area.

Quoted from vid1900:

Some Walmarts have the Masterbuilt Gravity 800 grills down to $49 this week! That is insane.
    Check your store :
    https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=942374130
    [quoted image]
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    If you already got one, the covers are on clearance for $22 (reg $80)
    https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=877744866
    [quoted image]

#1355 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Brickseek uses Walmart's internal inventory system, so if it says 2 in stock, and you buy both, it will show OOS in about 15 minutes.
    Big items like grills can be assembled and be outdoors (and have all the stickers faded to white) or in the actual "Clearance" aisle endcap, but most likely they are up top in the greenhouse with the outdoor furniture, or up on top of the rack in the pet food section, or up on top in the auto section.
    Remember, its likely ABOVE YOUR HEAD, wrapped in clear stretch-wrap on a pallet, so make sure you are familiar with what the box looks like before you go.
    No employee will help you search. Ever. They hate you and your face.
    Even if walmart's web site shows 2 in stock, and you show the employee, they will say "Yeah, the website is always wrong" and walk away.
    You are completely on your own. [quoted image]

Oh yea, definitely did a lot of looking in the overheads. Didn't look outside but around here there isn't much outside this time of year yet as there is still snow on the ground. But I did look at the assembled stuff they had inside. Brickseek did have inventory shown as unknown though with discounted prices shown. Any chance you can tell me a zip code where it would show with a quantity so I can compare what it looks like?

1 month later
    #1618 11 months ago

I've been a mostly electric smoker just because of the convenience. But, have really only done pork since there is such a HUGE temperature swing with them (at least based on the 2 I've had). Was going to go pellet and go cadillac (Recteq) but really liked what I saw with regards to the Masterbuilt vertical charcoal units that were talked about earlier in this thread. Never got a close out deal at Walmart. But decided to go "cheap" and pull the trigger on a smaller (560 sq in) unit at Home Depot. Did a break-in and monitor with my wifi thermometer over the weekend.

Definitely a temperature offset from the location of the thermometer the PID controller uses but very stable. Probably a definite swing across the cooking surface with the side closest to the firebox being hottest. You guys can chime in but I don't think this is unusual. Pellet smokers with center heat sources might have more even heat but I would think any offset smoker would be hotter closer to the fire.

Basically, I look at this as essentially an "automatic" offset-fire smoker.

Anyway, excited to try this new badboy out. Based on the reviews I've seen this may not last more than a couple years, but I take pretty good care of my kit so we'll see. I also don't intend to use it as a regular grill at all so maybe using just lower temps will help that. I really just got this for smoking as I'm still quite happy with my 20-year old Jenn-Aire gas grill for grilling. I've got an egg-knock-off for when I really want chargoal for grilling.

Anyway, happy morning all and GRILL ON!
    Jaz

#1625 11 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Recteq is made in the same Chinese factory as Pitboss, Treager, Charglo, and all the rest. Don't let the horns fool you, same internal mechs as all the others

So I hear the Recteq is just built like a tank (thick metal, heavy and solid). So maybe same internal mechs but is construction the same? Anyway, doesn't really matter right now. I went a different direction and going to play and have some fun! Temp control was pretty stable but have external temp monitoring to keep an eye on it.

Keep on smokin'! (and flippin')!
    Keith

#1634 11 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You would think that "built like a tank", would mean that it weighed 50% more, but you look at the total assembled weight and it's basically in the same range as other competing models.
    Maybe if they did one out of 100% stainless steel, that would be worth some extra coin.
    Things that matter on a day-to-day basis would be; trapdoor to clean ash without a shop vac, big wheels that can roll in the grass and won't get caught between the deck boards, large pellet hopper, ability to add some chunks of real wood or charcoal, app that does not constantly crash, amount of vertical room between shelves

well, will maybe revisit all of this down the road some day... for now got the vertical charcoal to work with... it has at least a few of those...

#1643 11 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Many rental yards have stick smokers now.
    Rent one for the week, and make sure you enjoy tending the firebox all day, on a couple of extended cooks.

Yup, I've smoked with other guys that had stick burners... not for me... too much time required. Maybe some day when I'm retired but not now... Actually I take that back... when I'm retired I'll have all kinds of other crap to do.

Hobbies: Pinball -1
    Brewing beer -2
    other stuff falls after those 2...

#1687 10 months ago

Did a whole brisket over the weekend (first cook in new smoker). Everything turned out great. Point was used for burnt ends which turned out great but weren't done at the time this pic was taken...

Hope everyone else had great results as well!
    Keith

IMG20230527200609 (resized).jpgIMG20230527200609 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #1732 10 months ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Yeah, went in kinda only half researching and not wanting to babysit it too much. It was albetween 18-20lbs. I'm not sure if that's big or not.
    I'm thinking that cook time and temp are probably the main reasons. I can't change the distance of the grate to the heat source/plate, so either it goes at a lower temp or a shorter cook time is what I'm thinking. The brisket barely fit in the smoker. I put the fat side up (trimmed).

Wow - that is a big brisket. Is that pre-trim weight?

1 week later
    #1782 10 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Everything @ Masterbuilt is 30% off for father day
    FAMILY30 is the secret code
    https://www.masterbuilt.com/

HEY! Thanks for that. Used it to order some spare parts to have on hand.
    Jaz

3 weeks later
    #1866 9 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

The shiny, new thing is charcoal gravity feed. Time and again I see folks posting that it's the best smoked meat they've ever made. You can run wood in them too. Masterbuilt owns the patents and they also own the Char-Griller brand, so you aren't gonna see a Weber gravity feed anytime soon. They are prone to grease fires if you don't keep them clean. That's a good thing on the used market. Say someone who is technically illiterate melts their fan or their switches? The smoker stops working and they toss it or give it away. All the shit that melts can be bought for cheap on Amazon. The fan is $20. Switches are ~$7. The controller is $60. You can even upgrade to a Fireboard for a couple hundred if you want.
    I'd be looking for one of those used before I'd buy that Charbroil thing.

The grease fire risk is really when you also use it for grilling and run at a higher temp (it's what I use mine for). If you're just smoking with temps below 300 I don't think the fire risk is significantly high.

1 week later
    #1905 9 months ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

I have the 800. Still trying to get it dialed in. works great as a set it and forget it smoker. Don't care for it much as a grill. I find when you are doing high heat, ashes get blown all over the place.

I've got the smaller one and only use it for smoking. Hoping that by just using it at the lower temps it will be easier on the wear and tear. Also picked up spares for the most likely parts to rust out.

I only use lump with it and it's been doing awesome. The temp is consistent but not to temp in the middle of the unit (control thermometer is on the side) so I use a separate wifi thermometer unit and just do a delta on the set point so the middle of the chamber is where I want it...

1 week later
    #1950 8 months ago
    Quoted from tommyp:

Finished result. Have some left overs. Will have to take a pic of the smoke ring. Came out amazing.

Would you (or anyone for that matter) care to share your mac and cheese recipe? I have one that's OK but always looking to improve!

#1968 8 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Thanks, just put my order in for $21.16. Good deal

I did as well... break it up, freeze it and share with about 1000 others!

#1995 8 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Yeah, animals aren't dumb. Even if he did get in it he wouldn't have hurt himself with the contents of the rub. My buddies dog eats watermelon. Never sawy that before.

Have you ever had a dog?!?

#1996 8 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I thought for sure he had gotten into it, but it was still sealed.
    7 pounds of seasoning does not fill the 1 gallon bottle completely, so from a distance, it looked like he ate half of it.

Ended up splitting it up into 8oz bag and vacuum sealing then freezing. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

1 month later
    #2143 7 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I light them both at the same time. Anything I can do to get some reasonable smoke flavor out of my pellet grill.
    Sorry fellas but I didn't snap any pics of my finished brisket but I can assure you it turned out awesome. All my friends loved it as well. I got really worried because it finished in about 12 hrs and it was around 18 lbs. Thats so quick, I was afraid something was wrong. I doubled checked my pellet grill's probe with my thermpro and it was spot on, and also probe tender. I said screw it and pulled it off, wrapped up and rested for a good 8 hrs. Maybe just the fact it was so marbled with fat? I don't know. It was on overnight at about 185, I did bump it up around 220 once I wrapped it. It turned out awesome though, took me forever to clean my cutting board it was so soaked with juices and rendered fat. Got a good amount left over too, vac sealed it and put it in the freezer. Enough for a big pot of chili or 3-4 big sandwiches. Always nice to have quality cooked brisket around basically ready to go!

Sounds awesome. Personally I've not good luck freezing cooked brisket. It tends to be mush upon thawing. YMMV

#2152 7 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Yeah.. no joking vacuum sealing meat lasts years with 0 taste difference.
    I used to pay a butcher to butcher a whole cow with the selected cuts of meats I want made.
    All the meat is vacuumed sealed. I had a few left from 2015 I just made. Taste excellent… No frost bite.

I do vacuum seal. It's not a taste difference, it's texture. But as was mentioned maybe I overheated/recooked it. Honestly, it's been a long time since I tried it. Bad experience once so I just never tried again. Maybe I'll try sealing and freezing some with my next packer...

#2164 7 months ago

So, I was at Costco to pick up some brisket... everything was choice were in the past it was always prime. When did that change? Did I just not notice the last couple times?!? Bummed and walked out empty handed.

1 week later
    #2208 7 months ago

I know a lot of you guys are using another brand, but I've been thrilled with my Inkbird Wifi thermometer. They are running a special right now. The one I have (older) is 35% off but their newer one is 40% (no personal experience with it so YMMV). Have a great weekend all!
    Older one - 35%
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XNTJKY4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
    Newer one - 40%
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C233WFYP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

#2219 7 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Lastly, did some smoked queso for the first time.. turns out great.
    Will do this in the future. So many variations you can do.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

That looks amazing. I'm guessing it's more of a "wing it" recipe. But if you do have it written out, would you share it pls?

3 weeks later
    #2353 6 months ago

I got a prime for 3.99/lb at my Costco in June but only choice since then.

#2393 6 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I love my Shuns, but don't let anyone in else in the house use them. Yeah, hard = brittle = easy to chip. Going to those from my old german knives I had to learn hou not to keep cutting myself. I have a bad habit of hand cutting straight into a pan.
    This is my brisket knife.
    Stock photo becasue I'm lazy.
    [quoted image]

Same... I'm the only one allowed to touch my Shuns

#2394 6 months ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

I got a prime for 3.99/lb at my Costco in June but only choice since then.

So I got some briskets at Costco this week. They had Prime at $4.49/lb but also had choice at $3.99/lb. I got the choice. For brisket, $.50/lb for choice versus prime is a no-brainer...

3 months later
    #2851 88 days ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

That or the blades not being sanitized properly either one seems likely to be the issue

That's not the issue. Vid's info is great. But even more than that, almost any steak we buy today has a 20% or greater chance of having e-coli or other bacteria on the surface of the meat. This is because of the mass produced butchering process that's used in this country. But even a small town, boutique butcher will still have the risk just at a much lower percentage. But, since we cook our meat at least some amount on a grill, skillet, etc, the surface bacteria is killed and it's not an issue.

So now you take that surface bacteria and transfer it to the inside of the meat by the tenderizing process (even if they did some kind of sanitizing on the blades, it wouldn't matter). It's really sad that this is done because if the meat is a good cut, it is COMPLETELY unnecessary. And as someone who likes my steak medium-rare to maybe below that a little, this process is a show stopper. I may as well eat "impossible" meat at that point...

1 month later
    #2908 57 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

$36 sale Monoprice Sous Vide V2 Immersion Cooker 1100W free shipping (if you can get your order up to $50, you can get another 25% off your cart, look for the coupon on the page)
    This thing is a monster. Only the 1100w heater is on sale, so make sure you click on that, because somehow the page only lands on the 600w.
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?cjdata=MXxOfDB8WXww&p_id=21594[quoted image]

DOH! Sold out already until late April (which may then be a different price)... Been holding off on getting one but for that price, would pull the trigger.

EDIT: Apparently, price was due to it going EOL. This was the email I got when I added myself to the notify list: "First of all, thank you for choosing Monoprice.com! Unfortunately, we no longer carry the following item: Strata Home by Monoprice Sous Vide Immersion Cooker 1100W (PID: 35380) . At this time, we do not carry a suitable substitution item. We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause."

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jazman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ya-smoking?tu=jazman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.