Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,009 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9187 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9191 (resized).jpeg
    20240408_161419 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8961 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mojo (resized).jpg
    IMG_0102 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_0103 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_9610 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9608 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9606 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20240331_165319713 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240331_165318272.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240330_231423284 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dsuperbee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 2 years ago

I've got a vertical stick burner that is great for things like ribs, chicken, turkey, etc..anything that isn't an especially long cook. In the winter I use it to cold smoke cheeses as well.

Long cooks I use my Vision Kamado. Once the temp is set I can stick in my briskets ormpork butts, plug in my thermometer and go to bed. It holds heat very well and is big enough to not need to be refilled except in very long smokes, like 18+ hours. It's great for pizza too.

Grilling I have my old trusty Weber kettle. I've had it since 1998 and with the exception of having to replace the charcoal grill, it's held up incredibly well. Damn thing is indestructible.

1 week later
    #76 2 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

The ribs in KC are top notch. Everywhere has their specialty. Im not familiar with tri-tip from California. What do you all do to it over there? That skirt steak for tacos looks good. We dont have good tacos like I have had in Cali and Texas.

An authentic Santa Maria tri tip is rubbed with Salt, Pepper, and Garlic salt. Cooked over Red Oak, preferrably using an Argentine style grill.

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Oh my, I can't imagine doing a proper pizza on a Weber (I assume kettle). You need serious insulation to get hot temps, like a ceramic grill. The guys on Eggheadforum say the BGE is bad for pizza, but those dudes are doing 1,000 degree neopolitan pizzas. They end up buying bespoke wood fire pizza ovens for their patio. I like me a nice 500 degree pizza cooked in 10 minutes on a stone. We do family style personal pizzas, so I'm constantly feeding the grill with pizzas. Also, for pizza you want good lump, no smoking woods. I was looking, but no pics. I need to fix that.

I use my Komodo to cook pizza wood wood exclusively. Never had any issues or complaints.

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Do you mean lump charcoal or just using wood chunks? How is the Komodo Joe? My coworker has one and loves it. It's basically the same as the BGE.

Sorry...its a bad typo.

I use wood in Kamado Vision. I havent used lump coal in it for a few years now. I love it. I can set it and forget it for long overnight smokes.

I do need to replace the gaskets though. They have gotten pretty old and brittle.

2 weeks later
    #141 2 years ago

Maintenance day today for my vision. New gasket. Scraped and sanded the old one off, wiped off dust and residue with naptha. Waiting for it to dry out completely then install the new gasket.

20210523_160013_HDR (resized).jpg20210523_160013_HDR (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #150 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

First time doing a spatchcock chicken with Alabama white sauce. Never had the white sauce. That boy’s good!!!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I did white sauce for the 1st time last week and love it.

#159 2 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Maintenance day today for my vision. New gasket. Scraped and sanded the old one off, wiped off dust and residue with naptha. Waiting for it to dry out completely then install the new gasket.
    [quoted image]

So still working on this.

Backstory: years ago as a gift I was given a smaller visiongrills kamado. It worked great, but the small size was a detriment. A pizza stone would choke the fire, a full rack had to be cut, etc...

So about a year ago on the FB marketplace the standard size showed up semi locally and cheap. Super cheap. Contacted seller and went and grabbed it.

I noticed that the seal needed replacement (no big deal) and the centering spring loaded tip was gone. Again no big deal.

Replaced the seal, but the centering tip on...and noticed I couldnt get the temp below 350 no matter what I did. So closed off the vents and found that it leaked very slightly on the lower vent....and massively at the back near the hinge.

The lid doesnt sit flat. So i have spent the last day re aligning the mounting rings, shimming and unshimming the hinge, etc...to get it fixed.

Hoping to test it this weekend.

3 weeks later
    #199 2 years ago

Should have taken a pic, but charred some corn for an Elote dip later on.

2 years later
    #2090 8 months ago
    IMG_7913 (resized).JPGIMG_7913 (resized).JPGIMG_7914 (resized).JPGIMG_7914 (resized).JPG
    #2091 8 months ago
    IMG_7910 (resized).JPGIMG_7910 (resized).JPGIMG_7911 (resized).JPGIMG_7911 (resized).JPGIMG_7912 (resized).JPGIMG_7912 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dsuperbee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ya-smoking?tu=dsuperbee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.