Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,006 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 minutes ago by Haymaker
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9187 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9191 (resized).jpeg
    20240408_161419 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8961 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mojo (resized).jpg
    IMG_0102 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_0103 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_9610 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9608 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9606 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20240331_165319713 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240331_165318272.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240330_231423284 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider StoneyCreek.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#299 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rodent:

My least fav task with ribs is removing the membrane, but that effort is soooo worth it
    [quoted image]

If anyone has a trick for removing the membrane easily, please share! Some racks ...it just doesn't want to come off. is that a freshness, or freezing issue?

4 weeks later
    #342 2 years ago

If anyone wants to know how to make a wine-barrel smoker, PM me. Very low cost, and works great! The toughest part is finding a Weber grill lid...they don't sell 'em separately.

20160904_151454 (resized).jpg20160904_151454 (resized).jpg20160904_193953 (resized).jpg20160904_193953 (resized).jpg
    4 months later
    #487 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hougie:Smoked this loin yesterday. It turned out beautifully.
    [quoted image]

How long, what temp? that looks awesome.

4 weeks later
    #507 1 year ago

8 hours of smoke at 170 degrees, then wrapped an in a 250 oven for 1/5 hours. open foil slightly and rest for 1 hour. turned out perfect this time!

20220423_194419 (resized).jpg20220423_194419 (resized).jpg
    #514 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

13 pound brisket smoked at 180 for 9 hours bumped up to 230ish for another 4-5 hours..
    No Spritzing and did not wrap during stall.[quoted image][quoted image]

pellet smoker?

2 weeks later
    #552 1 year ago

OK I just picked up a big slab of Sockeye Salmon from Costco. Anyone have a good recipe for smoking it in the Trager?

#558 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Yup… agree with the smoke tube. Also, highlight to put the salmon away from your hot spot.. or at least put the thicker side near the hot spot if unavoidable.
    Cook mine a few weeks ago marinaded Asian style (ginger, garlic powder, soy sauce, olive oil) at 190 for 2 hours or more.
    I put a meat thermometer to make life easier.
    Also, if presentation is desired as it cooks you can scrape off the chunks and the bubbles to keep surface looking clean.
    [quoted image]

Oh man, that looks delish! I'm gonna try it for dinner tomorrow night. the chunks of fresh ginger must give it some excellent tang. a squeeze of lemon and all is right. thanks.

4 weeks later
    #627 1 year ago

I've found that an electric knife is just the 60's throwback that I need for super-thin slicing without having to freeze the meat!

4 months later
    #1003 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

This should be the same for any other Chinese made smoker, as they all tend to have the same glowrod, fan and auger parts.

You know a lot about many things Vid. do you know if the Trager line operates the same way? Does a glowrod burns the pellets by heating the steel burn dish?
    I have to replace the whole hopper/motor/delivery assembly on my trager.

#1005 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Trager, for about the last 15 years, has had the same Chinese mechanism that 99 percent of all pellet grills have.
    Do you know the model and age?
    Does it have a digital PID controller with temp probes ? If not, you probably want to get an aftermarket kit that upgrades that too

I have a Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill. bought it in 2018. it came damaged, and they sent me another control box+augur/burner assy. which I have not installed yet since the grill worked OK. It just stopped working though, I may do the surgery this weekend.

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
    3 weeks later
    #1057 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

https://www.yummly.com/thermometer?irclickid=0XMXfY304xyNR3lXany953ZtUkDSyUx-NxuERY0&irgwc=1
    So, I’m in the market to experiment with wireless thermometers and wired systems as well.
    Is Black Friday a good time to look? What are good “deals” for wireless options?
    Recommendations welcomed… I have little over 2 weeks to research and will include suggestions here.
    Oh, I’m looking for wired systems that can support 2-4 probes.

I'm looking for a thermometer that I can leave in during cooking. not a wireless probe, just a thermo that's designed to operate at high temps. any suggestions?

1 month later
    #1254 1 year ago

So it's after Christmas and I found a fresh 16 lb turkey marked down to $6.49! (sitting right next to a 5 pound Purdue chicken for 14 bucks!) I did a bit of Youtube research...found this very good video and followed the instructions to a T with the exception of the injection part since I didn't have an injector.
    I have to say, it turned out exactly as it should have. I ripped a bit of skin off to test it's crispiness and it was fantastic! 3 hours of smoke at 250 in the Traeger, then crank it up to 350 for the finish. took about 5 hours. Turned out so well I have an injector on order.

Injector:https://www.amazon.com/Grillin-Pros-Stainless-Injector-Syringe/dp/B09RSFX7K3/ref=sr_1_6

PXL_20221227_223039524 (resized).jpgPXL_20221227_223039524 (resized).jpg
    1 year later
    #2859 80 days ago

I'm cooking up a brisket for a dinner party tomorrow night...has any of you done a 5-hour low temp smooke on a friday night, then wrap and oven-finish overnight at 220? I'm thinking turn on smoker at 7, pull at midnight, wrap and into the oven until 10AM. then move to the cooler.
    would that work?

#2861 80 days ago

Backing into a 6PM dinner.....including a 2 hour cooler rest I guess I could get a good 10 hour smoke if I started it at 6AM. I'm a lazy sack so get up at 0-0dark-thirty isn't real appealing. I may suck it up and do it the less risky traditional way.

#2863 80 days ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Oven firing for 10 hours is expensive!!

I don't know the $, but I imagine that the electric smoker running 10 hours + the cost of pellets would be more expensive thatn just running my electric oven. Anyone ever done that math?

#2869 79 days ago

Heat pump + solar assisted in-floor radiant heat.....is definitely cold enough here that the oven is really just another heating source for the house. Overnight even better to help out the heat pump.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider StoneyCreek.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ya-smoking?tu=StoneyCreek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.