Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,000 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by vidguy
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9187 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9191 (resized).jpeg
    20240408_161419 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8961 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mojo (resized).jpg
    IMG_0102 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_0103 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_9610 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9608 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9606 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20240331_165319713 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240331_165318272.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240330_231423284 (resized).jpg
    20240324_204739 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jamesays.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 2 years ago

I do a lot of chicken ,ribs and poke butt.I like mesquite,cherry and apple .oak is my favorite.I like to put my dry rub on about 8am on football sunday put it in my smoker by 9am and nurse it all morning with bud light ready to eat by the end of game 2 .game 1 here 10am game 2 1pm late game 5pm .Best turkey I ever made I smoked 8 hours.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

The issue is most BBQ joints and competition cooks use stick burners not pellet cookers. It is impossible to get the same flavor out of a pellet smoker.
    Not saying they aren’t good because they are more user friendly for the average Joe,
    just can’t get the same flavor.

My local BBQ joint is good but they want a an arm and a leg for their food.I am down to 1 arm 1 leg and 1 nut.

#66 2 years ago

Going to smoke some Salmon today.I use a seperate smoker for fish.

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

The ribs in KC are top notch. Everywhere has their specialty. Im not familiar with tri-tip from California. What do you all do to it over there? That skirt steak for tacos looks good. We dont have good tacos like I have had in Cali and Texas.

Im sure there are many ways to do good Tri Tips sometimes all you need is salt n pepper the meat is so good other days teriyaki sauce on the tri tip is good same as teriyaki chicken.I find when Im doing teriyaki neighbors I have not seen in awhile decide its a good time to say hello.

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rodent:

Dinner is served!
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    I like pecan better with this rub mix bs the apple/cherry combo. Still very good and worthy of a repeat

beautiful color

#108 2 years ago
    Quoted from LeMansFan:

I know, I know. My wife likes stuff well done, it kills me. When I make steaks I start hers 20 minutes before mine even gets a look at the grill.

Same here My wife loves a good ruined cremated ribeye.I prefer mine still mooing

#115 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

A friend of mine needed a new computer so I hooked him up with my Dell discount and set everything up for him. In return, him and his wife had my wife and I over for Prime Rib. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

very nice,Unfortunately I would probably eat that until it hurts.I cant walk away from good PR Horseradish and horseradish with sour cream on the side.

#133 2 years ago

It’s chili day at my house. 6h to go. [quoted image]

when the Doc says I must stop eating chili I will slit my throat.

1 month later
    #191 2 years ago

Made this earlier today for breakfast.
    5 scrambled eggs, 1 cup of cheese, 12 slices of bacon and 1lb of breakfast sausage. Rub with some Holy Cow Honey Hog and on the smoker for about 90 minutes.
    Turned out great.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

is there ham in there too ?looks good

#194 2 years ago

Nope. Just the bacon and sausage. If I were to do it again, I’d probably go with 1/2lb of breakfast sausage, 6 eggs and maybe 2 cups of cheese.
    It was a lot of pork. My wife and I agreed that more egg and cheese would have been better. Don’t get me wrong, it was really good but that would have made it just a little bit better.

Quoted from RVH:

It’s called the breakfast fatty from
    Matt Pitmans Meat Church.

thanks for the great recipe guys I will enjoy this

#197 2 years ago

That’s where I got it. I’ll definitely make some changes to it when I do it again.

hot peppers,onions,mushrooms maybe

2 weeks later
    #217 2 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Armadillo eggs
    [quoted image]

whats the recipe it looks great,do you ship

#219 2 years ago

Those look pretty damn tasty! We do something similar, but they are BBQ Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Chicken Thighs. Got the recipe from one of Malcom Reeds old videos. Ours cook a lot faster than his do in the video, so if you try it out watch them closely. If they go to high all the cheese melts out and they aren't as good.

hell yeah

#221 2 years ago

I think its important to make sure any stuffed jalapeno or pepper is thouroughly cooked ,if you take them off too early and the pepper is still hard they will not fly off the plate .But when done correctly like the examples above were talking food of the Gods.

#230 2 years ago

Those look pretty damn tasty! We do something similar, but they are BBQ Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Chicken Thighs. Got the recipe from one of Malcom Reeds old videos. Ours cook a lot faster than his do in the video, so if you try it out watch them closely. If they go to high all the cheese melts out and they aren't as good.

I tried this yesterday,wow very good.These disappear fast at my house.

#240 2 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

You guys ever do lamb?
    [quoted image]

A nice crust on the outside is top notch

2 months later
    #274 2 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Prime brisket, 3 racks of ribs, and 4 pork butts
    [quoted image]

beautiful,are you cooking for the whole firehouse ? Either way looking good.

2 months later
    #384 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Double post, so here is picture of kabob from a few days ago[quoted image]

nice and I like how the veggies are cooked but not burned.

#388 2 years ago

Did this on Sunday for the wife and I.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

looks perfect to me,My wife would want to cremate it.

3 weeks later
    #438 2 years ago

the green was almost like adding a veggie.

2 weeks later
    #455 2 years ago

I worked in a place the Chef forgot to turn on the oven for Dinner we were going to serve Prime rib.Doh
    no it wasnt me.

1 month later
    #492 2 years ago

What are yall smoking today.Time to fire up.Im not using mine but am wondering if anyone else could share their photos.

1 week later
    #494 2 years ago

I am trying to find a good set or single thermometer for my smoker,anyone using something besides drip pans that came with the smoker to help keep clean.Any ideas

#495 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I am trying to find a good set or single thermometer for my smoker,anyone using something besides drip pans that came with the smoker to help keep clean.Any ideas

9FD1A40A-07DC-4674-B6ED-A4CB765C5F56 (resized).jpeg9FD1A40A-07DC-4674-B6ED-A4CB765C5F56 (resized).jpeg
    #496 2 years ago

I will try this for a change up

#499 2 years ago

this style smoker for a change up

2 weeks later
    #526 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Smoked 4 pork shoulders totally 28 lbs or so for a thank you gesture to my kids daycare workers.
    The pulled pork turned into butter and the flavor was perfect.
    Took 13 hours.
    I wrapped it up after reaching stall, but I feel that prevents from producing more bark…
    Opinions??
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

looks damn good

#539 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Good points!! Thanks for reply. That is probably where I went wrong. Even though stall temp was reached the bark was not as crisp/deep as I wanted… so, I’m thinking I wrapped too early.
    I’ll adjust for next time and yes i’m eating this daily. Taste good, moist and dissolves like butter in your mouth.

you can unwrap near the end of the cook and crisp up the bark again.

1 week later
    #566 1 year ago
    Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Cooking prime rib for Mother's day tonight because last weekend we had a family get together at my in-laws and they do not like food cooked on a smoker. [quoted image]

What will you put on it ? I have 1 waiting for my smoker but I have never done a prime rib out of the oven before.Cant wait to try one.

1 week later
    #581 1 year ago

just some brats

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #583 1 year ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Does your wife laugh at your brat holders or call you a dumass?

yes

#585 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

You know that does not look hetero, right?

no,I was going for funny

#600 1 year ago
    Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Our grocery store had pork butts on sale for .99 a pound. I always cook on fat cap up and I cut the fat cap in squares and I add the fat cap to the meat when finished. Here are some photos before the cook and during the cook. Cooking with apple wood and Fogo.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

good looking poke butt

2 weeks later
    #628 1 year ago
    Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Happy Memorial Day. I want to say Thank you to the brave men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice. Going to over to see family today. They asked me to make hotdog chili. If you are interested in the recipe send me a pm.
    [quoted image]

I tried your chili recipe,We all loved it.Thanks

1 week later
    #642 1 year ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

My old grill went kaput and already rebuilt it previously, as well as my cheapo electric smoker that was a gift. I've been waiting since Christmas to get back in the grilling game and bought this beast for Father's Day. I'm stoked![quoted image]

nice

#659 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Get in the habit of spatchcocking your birds. Gets smoke through the entire carcass, and cooks in 1/2 the time. If you don't have kitchen shears yet, just use tin-snips.
    Probably the best chicken if you want to wow your guest is Cornell Chicken, like they serve in NY.
    The white sauce will terrify onlookers, but it's delicious
    https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/cornell-chicken/
    [quoted image]

I would say 2 thumbs up if possible

4 weeks later
    #730 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

So I ended up selling my new Traeger pellet smoker on craigslist and decided to just purchase my BBQ from an award winning local restaurant instead. I could not produce nearly the same quality and the only thing that I was satisfied with was chicken, chicken wings, and pulled pork(found I get similar results in oven).
    I thought I would share what my all time favorite BBQ is... and that is a pulled pork sandwich topped with apple coleslaw, pickled red onions, and then topped with a Carolina mustard BBQ sauce. This sandwich is a dream for me-so good! They also make fantastic ribs and burnt ends.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

thats some good looking eats

#732 1 year ago

I think I will give it a try,havent heard of it before.

#749 1 year ago

testicles

#750 1 year ago

i mean cows i reckon

1 week later
    #793 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

[quoted image]

could a guy with a Beer Belly legally park here ?

4 weeks later
    #851 1 year ago

teriyaki wings with ginger are great.

1 week later
    #887 1 year ago

In Miami at the dolphins game someone put their hot grill under the car for safe keeping.Smoked 12 cars.

#889 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I really hope nobody was injured!
    Banning of tailgating/grills coming in 3.....2.....1.....

no injuries.

#918 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

How about the $16 "holy" rub:
    Sugar - yep
    salt - got that
    paprika - it's in every rub
    dextrose - corn sugar
    dehydrated garlic - Garlic Powder
    celery - Celery Powder
    silicon dioxide - sand
    I mean, really guys; if you cant mix this up yourself, it's time to turn in your pitmaster card

sand ?

2 months later
    #1087 1 year ago
    Quoted from MaxIsDead:

20lb Fresh Sweet Pickle Ham for Thanksgiving. Going on the smoker at 9pm Wednesday night

Elaborate Please.

1 week later
    #1193 1 year ago

I bought 4 for 10 bucks each or less,just had to buy 25 bucks in other groceries which isnt difficult.Shortage my ---.

3 weeks later
    #1242 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hiper:

Christmas brisket at 165.
    [quoted image]

Nice,and a cooks sample too.

#1251 1 year ago
    Quoted from vidguy:

If you like a beefy chili, try this one with a smoked chuck roast. It has a deep flavor and you can really control the heat.
    https://howtobbqright.com/2017/11/02/smoked-chili-recipe/

looks awesome

4 weeks later
    #1262 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gotemwill:

I’ve never understood the attraction to spare ribs over baby backs. More meat, less bones. What’s there not to like?

I think its about prices

#1265 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lostcause:

Just had some St. Louis competition ribs whatever that means lol plus more delivered, too cold here to bbq though with my Weber kettle so will be in the oven.
    Did some burnt ends last week in the oven with jerk rub then finished off with JD bbq sauce, man so nice.
    You guys are going to cost me a small fortune, but so worth it!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Looking Good

#1275 1 year ago

Im dry Brining an Eagle/Turkey in honor of 49ers vs Eagles game tommorow.
    Dungeness Crab 4.99 lb here now and bought some for Niners game as well.

3 weeks later
    #1328 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

https://imgur.io/gallery/OPth8Id
    Anyone ever seen anything more tender than this?

no,delicious

2 weeks later
    #1333 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Looks like most bathtubs at HD hold 47 gallons.before they hit the overflow vent.
    A 200 pound person would displace ~24 gallons of water (or maybe say, two 100 pound chicks).
    So you might fill 23 gallons of sauce to take a bath in it.
    If there are 68 gallons in this drum, you might get ~3 baths worth.

Maybe switch the Chipotle one for Honey BBQ in this case.Prevent Fire in the you know what

2 weeks later
    #1347 1 year ago

I have had good Papaya Salad .Maybe even better than Mango salad.

#1349 1 year ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Only proper Thai papaya salad will do. Similar to this:
    https://www.recipetineats.com/green-papaya-salad/
    And what happened to my avatar?

I agree ,I get mine at a local Thai place.

2 weeks later
    #1421 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You can talk about Texas all you want, nobody does a better barbecue than Brazil.
    It's like a carnival of flesh
    (You will not be sorry you clicked this link)
    https://imgur.io/gallery/F6flLGP
    -
    -
    [quoted image]

I would like to eat there,looks good bring a keg.

1 month later
    #1637 11 months ago
    Quoted from TheGunnett:

Hardwood Smoker by Dave Klose in Texas. It’s about 15 years old now and still works perfectly
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful

#1655 10 months ago

Smokin a 10lb Prime Rib today ,Wondering How long to smoke it to be done ? Will I need to finish it in the oven ?

#1658 10 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's not really a "time" cook, but a temperature cook.
    @ 225*f, smoke until you hit 125*f internally.
    Then pull it off the grill, and loosely tent it for 25 minutes.
    While tenting, crank the grill to 400-425 so it's ready to finish the cook. Take the drip pan and make your sauce.
    Put it back on the grill, until meat hits 135*f
    Rest again for 20 minutes, You can take the juices that drain during the rest and add them to the sauce.
    Carve from both ends to give the more done pieces to those who want it, The majority of the meat will be medium-rare

Thank You ,sounds great.

#1678 10 months ago

Before and after

E8CBAA08-3FA2-420D-9ECC-180D3DB61A21 (resized).jpegE8CBAA08-3FA2-420D-9ECC-180D3DB61A21 (resized).jpegF1C6164E-BABE-4F3A-A7EE-B97678C07A36 (resized).jpegF1C6164E-BABE-4F3A-A7EE-B97678C07A36 (resized).jpeg
    #1684 10 months ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I only buy chickens from an Amish farm that they carry at the local grocery store. Twice as expensive but 10 times better.

My girlfriend only buys Vietnamese market chickens they cost more too but she dont like my supermarket birds.Hers are smaller but very much better flavor.I buy any old bird in her opinion.

#1693 10 months ago

The beef Ribs at Costco are actually very Meaty ,better than the bone only beef ribs at Safeway and the like.I enjoy them.The short ribs at Safeway are fairly Meaty and good but full racks Fogetaboutit

#1708 10 months ago
    Quoted from mtn-:more chicken![quoted image]

That is the best way to cook Baked Potatoes ,Best possible taste.

#1738 10 months ago
    Quoted from RVH:

Try injecting a brisket with beef tallow before cooking once.

where do You get Tallow ? a Butcher Shop ?Its something I have never had.

2 weeks later
    #1826 9 months ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

One of my favorite things to smoke, core it and fill it with bacon, onion and BBQ sauce mixture. Put pads of butter on it every so often.
    [quoted image]

I will try that.it looks Good.

2 weeks later
    #1888 9 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Guy catches a giant catfish in Azerbaijan, then cooks it in a giant tandoor

Very Impressive.

1 week later
    #1929 9 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I just laugh when the BBQ hillbilly scientists say that liquid has to boil to evaporate.
    I always think of how they evaporate sea salt just on the shore in ponds, or how the 'evaporation dish' around your houseplants evaporates just fine at 65*f.
    (of course, even ice evaporates; slowly)
    ....and when you evaporate something, doesn't all the flavor stay behind in concentrate, and just the water vapor leave?

I would buy that stand for convenience,How easy is that to do.I also like those scissors/shears Hes using.

#1931 9 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'd like that stand but with rods to do shawarma.
    Shave it down for guests to self serve.

I had to look up Shawarma,That looks excellent .

#1949 8 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

The vacuum packed 2-pack Picanha was what I was focused on, but there was a single sitting right there with them, not vacuum packed. It actually just says top sirloin cap. They left the fat cap on there and frankly I would have been OK with them trimming it down a bit. This is an attempt at reverse sear on my Gravity using B&B lump and a few cherry chunks. I did 225 F and pulled at 130 F internal. My intention was to sear each side for 3 minutes at a higher temp but that was a bust. I'm paranoid of flare-ups and started to have one. I love the color though. That's about perfect to me.
    [quoted image]

Noice

1 week later
    #2005 8 months ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Ace has the bucket donation going on for $5. You get 20% off anything. They never run bbq seasonings on sale and if you buy 4 you get an additional %10 off. I cleaned up!
    [quoted image]

I would like to try the injection of flavors.I need more info on what to buy.I often see the BBQ masters on TV doing it.

#2024 8 months ago

My Turkey was too to big to fit in My Smoker spatchcock style so I cut it in half and used different Rubs on them.

34E9D284-3D68-4DDA-8293-B27EE1487C3B (resized).jpeg34E9D284-3D68-4DDA-8293-B27EE1487C3B (resized).jpeg43D60D1A-3CA6-42B9-92A1-3180309FFE70 (resized).jpeg43D60D1A-3CA6-42B9-92A1-3180309FFE70 (resized).jpeg
    #2025 8 months ago

Its not up to temp in the start photo

#2026 8 months ago

Good tip Vid,I used baking soda and water and it works very well to clean My window

4 weeks later
    #2154 7 months ago

Anyone have a suggested model of sous vide cooker or kit ? I want to try this.

3 weeks later
    #2282 6 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Not bbq, but, close enough. Filet cooked sous vide, then flash seared in the cast iron. We’ve made them this way a half dozen times. Once you do filets sous vide, restaurant filets will seem inferior.
    So good. The main advantage being that the filet doneness is consistent through the entire piece of meat.
    A real treat that we don’t do often, but it’s my bday. I asked for BLTs and got this. I have a good wife….[quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful

1 week later
    #2378 6 months ago

My wife used to do mine but I lock them up now

2 weeks later
    #2439 5 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Last but not least, all packaged up. Yield was 13.75 pounds, or (18) 12oz packages plus 4oz left over.
    Boring post, I know. Hoping to help others in mass food prep as it’s very economical. We’ll eat a package or two per week, so this will last many months. Then, rinse and repeat.[quoted image][quoted image]

This makes sense,Im tired of throwing away so much good food because I cook too much.

#2442 5 months ago

I need to purchase a sealer and a million bags any thing I should be aware of ?

#2447 5 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

We mainly use ours for sandwiches, salads and tacos. Chili is an interesting idea.
    Anyone have any other good uses for pulled pork?
    The wife and I eat super low carb, and bbq fits the bill. I just sub sugar free sauce and don’t add sugar to my rubs.

Tacos and Burritos are awesome with pork

#2473 5 months ago

Soon Poke Butts and Turkeys and Prime Rib will be on sale for the Holidays ,make room in those freezers

2 weeks later
    #2531 5 months ago

I like to buy bone in Prime Rib Roasts and trim off the Ribs leaving a lot of meat on them.Some of the Best tasting Ribs I have ever Had.

#2555 4 months ago

whats in Your Brine ?

#2566 4 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

LTG : )
    [quoted image]

it looks so damn good

#2607 4 months ago
    #2611 4 months ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Cooking, but not BBQ. Korv Stroganoff, a very simple but fantastic Swedish dish. Consists mainly of sausage, tomato paste, onions and cream.
    I like to add garlic, some chili and green bell peppers as well.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How do You serve it.Maybe over wide noodles ?

#2612 4 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

Wife made "carcass soup" from most of the rest of the turkey. Cook it all, strain it, add celery, carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms, cabbage, etc... It's freaking amazing. Just amazing.
    [quoted image]

Heck Yes

#2616 4 months ago

I usually make Turkey Enchiladas as well as some of the dishes above

1 week later
    #2645 4 months ago
    Quoted from Wake2wood:

I have an uncle that sends me a 6 pack of Taylor's Chili from just outside Springfield Illinois every xmas. Always loved it but was curious what was so diferent that made it so delicious. I have made a chili cheese dip on the smoker by layering cream cheese,Taylor's chili, and cheddar on top.

you had us at Chili

#2695 4 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Publix has USDA Choice Bone-In Rib Roasts for $6.99/lb limit 2. If you ask the butcher, you can get a whole one already vacuum packed. I paid ~$120 for mine. Gonna wet age it for a couple of weeks, then cut it into steaks.

My local Stores will have that price any Day now.I usually get the Big one like You say and cut it in half.Smoke 1 and freeze 1 for next time.

#2713 4 months ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Nice , Please share recipe !!!
    Do you cook noodles prior to smoking ?

Ditto

1 week later
    #2746 3 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Note to self. I suck at searing on the grill/smoker. I added thin layer butter (wife’s request) and I was nervous ti burn thr meat so I rotated a little sooner and often.
    That ended up with a funky looking sear…. But it was damn tasty.
    You see that the rib bone just fell off during the sear process. Oh well, I just continued to sear and now I have an additional piece of meat to eat. Now, this was a happy accident.
    FYI, the wife likes the prime rib medium. I had to oblige. I call my first trial a super success!!!
    Brining is the way to go. Perfect amount of salt. Love the application I decided to just leave the herbs intact. Easier to remove when slicing.

Beautiful

#2748 3 months ago

found a rib Roast on sale for 5.97 lb.Its not Restaurant quality but I will take it.

A242415E-1C2A-49AD-B4B7-42158DB76713 (resized).jpegA242415E-1C2A-49AD-B4B7-42158DB76713 (resized).jpeg
    #2749 3 months ago

It’s not prime.

#2753 3 months ago

Yup. Same here. Great price. And boy that is a massive single slab. Costco style.</blockquot
    Now I need to decide if I just roll it in salt and pepper and smoke away.Any tips appreciated.

#2776 3 months ago
    Quoted from BRW84:

My first prime rib turned out excellent! To make the photo extra appropriate for Pinside, I was wearing my Gorgar T-shirt.
    [quoted image]

the roasted veggies look good too

2 weeks later
    #2809 3 months ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Made a twice smoked ham with bourbon maple glaze with some smoked scalloped potatoes. Man I love doing ham like this!

Beautiful

3 weeks later
    #2875 73 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/1ai5tf3/there_is_a_place_in_france_where_they_cook_ham_in/
    Great video where in France they have traditionally cooked hams in a giant vat of Asphalt.[quoted image]

interesting yes.I have a bunch of WTF after seeing it though.And a side of why.

1 week later
    #2878 64 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

This is a Big Green Egg Tutorial for my friend Boob.
    Doing 5.8 lbs of wings indirect, but not using platesetter so I can get a kiss of direct towards the end. I'm also using a Spider from Ceramic Grill Store to move the grate up to top of bottom shell.
    I use two pieces of angle iron I got from Ceramic Grill Store to make a hot zone on one side. Those white things are oil dipped paper towels to get the lump going. I also have applewood chunks mixed in with half leftover lump from last cook and new lump.
    [quoted image]
    Let the coal catch fire and burn and then close the lid once you know everything is burning good and set your top and bottom vents to get to 450-500F. Be sure to let the dirty smoke die off before putting food on.
    [quoted image]
    Put the wings on the non-fire side. I prefer to use the bottom vent as my primary heat control, but do adjust the top too. But if I'm getting too hot, I always narrow the bottom opening first. Lid is closed all the time.
    [quoted image]
    After they have been cooking for awhile go ahead and move to the hot side to get some nice maillard effect. Even though those coals are way down there they are super hot. Pay attention and move stuff around or they will burn. This is where I close lid, but open move, close, open, move.
    [quoted image]
    Then put back on indirect side, test with instant temp probe and pull.
    [quoted image]
    Wings were on about 45 minutes.

Noice

1 month later
    #2965 17 days ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Baking Powder=crispy skin

Tell me more please

#2969 17 days ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

If you want crispy poultry skin while smoking, dry the hell out of the bird with paper towels. With wings, place on a rack and put in fridge uncovered for at least a few hours or overnight. Add baking powder to whatever rub/seasoning mix you use. Food science!

Thanks I will try it.

#2976 16 days ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Anyone else do flank steak? We marinated ours for about 24 hours. Then on the grill for 6 minutes per side at very, very high heat.
    I'm proud and embarrassed to say that the wife and I ate almost the whole thing. It was flavorful and tender. Flank steak is such a crap cut of meat, but done right, it's absolutely delicious.[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes,Carne Asada

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jamesays.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ya-smoking?tu=Jamesays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.