Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,000 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by vidguy
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9187 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9191 (resized).jpeg
    20240408_161419 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8961 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mojo (resized).jpg
    IMG_0102 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_0103 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_9610 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9608 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9606 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20240331_165319713 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240331_165318272.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240330_231423284 (resized).jpg
    20240324_204739 (resized).jpg
    There are 3,000 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 60.
    #201 2 years ago

I know it’s not a real smoker, but I’m happy with the results I get with just a smoke tube on the Weber:

Mustard and rub: 93337931-A249-4E74-9641-603145F8E625 (resized).jpeg93337931-A249-4E74-9641-603145F8E625 (resized).jpeg Result after 10hrs in the grill, sprayed with a mix of apple cider vinegar and unsweetened cranberry juice hourly: F8980A53-D734-4B90-86DD-89AF540D5EDA (resized).jpegF8980A53-D734-4B90-86DD-89AF540D5EDA (resized).jpegE6545877-C5D3-4F87-A26C-FDC3F5503571 (resized).jpegE6545877-C5D3-4F87-A26C-FDC3F5503571 (resized).jpeg

#202 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

I also use a pellet smoker, it’s a knock off treager (z-grill). I respect the heck out of you guys who use briquettes/wood/lump charcoal...
    In my experience the temp doesn’t have to be super high to get the wings crispy. I maybe go 375 max if I’m getting impatient..
    It’s important to dry off the marinade before applying your rub, and after applying the rub let the wings sit for 15/20min they’ll start to sweat. That’s the salt bringing out some moisture which I think helps get them crispy.
    While they’re on the smoker I do flip them a couple times and move them around the hot spots.
    They really are crazy! I feel like I’m paying almost double compared to last year.

GFS sales a 4# bag jumbo cut chicken wings for $26 that use to cost $13 before coved bullshit.
    I start by drying wings with a lot of paper towels and then I season them up.Then I put wings uncovered in refrigerator over night.This drys out the skin which in return helps to crisp them up.

IMG_1748 (resized).JPGIMG_1748 (resized).JPGIMG_2884 (resized).PNGIMG_2884 (resized).PNG
    #203 2 years ago

This is half of the rack of ribs I made today. 6hrs on the smoker with apple wood. I don’t normally add sauce on the ribs, but thats what everyone else wanted. Still taste great though? I should really take batter pictures of this stuff…

60BD0393-4F5E-43F8-A2E0-BC2D67A4F7BF (resized).jpeg60BD0393-4F5E-43F8-A2E0-BC2D67A4F7BF (resized).jpeg
    #204 2 years ago

Venison backstrap is probably the hardest meat to barbecue

Even 30 seconds of too much cooking time will immediately turn it into an inedible block of leather

Cheating your way to perfection:

Marinate 24 hours with a 50-50 mix of freshly made Italian salad dressing and Stubbs

Sous vide for 2 hours at exactly 129° Fahrenheit

Wipe off any marinade

Put cast iron skillet on your grill, make sure grill is at 650+ degrees Fahrenheit, skillet should be crazy hot

Put a generous glob of butter on the cast iron skillet,

Reverse sear backstrap at 1 minute per side
    IMG_20210704_165346__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210704_165346__01 (resized).jpg

#205 2 years ago

3 St.Louis racks , should have gone a little longer , but folks were getting that look in there eye.....how much longer.....

20210705_112812 (resized).jpg20210705_112812 (resized).jpg
    20210705_172745 (resized).jpg20210705_172745 (resized).jpg

20210705_171216 (resized).jpg20210705_171216 (resized).jpg
    #206 2 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

3 St.Louis racks , should have gone a little longer , but folks were getting that look in there eye.....how much longer.....
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Try the 3-2-1 recipe. It has worked pretty good for me for a couple years.

https://pitboss-grills.com/recipes/smoke/3-2-1-st-louis-ribs

I tend to let them dry out in the foil a bit longer than 1 hr and dont put the sauce on them.

#208 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Try the 3-2-1 recipe. It has worked pretty good for me for a couple years.
    https://pitboss-grills.com/recipes/smoke/3-2-1-st-louis-ribs
    I tend to let them dry out in the foil a bit longer than 1 hr and dont put the sauce on them.

In a hurry for ribs, but don't have 6 hours to wait? I gave up on the 3-2-1 method a few years back in favor of a modified version that has won several competitions.

Trust me when I say the ribs just flat out come out better; juicier, more tender (but not that fall-off-the-bone mush some people associate with ribs, I want to see a defined bite mark in mine, and not have the whole chunk of meat come sliding off the bone when I eat mine), and most importantly, in HALF the time.

I do mine on a knock-off Big Green Egg XL (thanks VID from a few years ago with the recommendation for the BBE from Aldi's; I literally only fire up the big pit when I need to do more than 6 or 7 racks), but the recipe should be fine as long as the heat is indirect.

I get my lump, red-oak charcoal rolling and stable to 325 F (Maybe 20-30 mins) while I trim, de-membrane, and season the ribs (either spare, St. Louis, or Baby Backs). I throw on a couple chunks of cherry (or whatever you like) on the charcoal, load the offset plate, then re-stabilize the smoker until there isn't heavy clouds of smoke pouring out, but rather "wisps". I load the ribs on after they have sat in the fridge for the rub to set, and set a timer for 1.5 hours.

If you go a little over 1.5 hours you'll be fine, but try not to pull them early. The first hour and half is when the ribs absorb the smoke for flavor, sets the rub to a nice bark that doesn't rub off when touched, gets the much loved-but-not-important "smoke ring" in the meat, and gets some of that yummy fat rendered. The 325 temp is pretty important, try not to go below it, or much over 350, as the rub will get too dark.

After the hour and a half, I wrap mine in heavy duty foil. You can add any number of braising liquids at this point (apple juice, honey, butter, etc.), but I skip all of that, and just wrap the ribs to let them finish in their own juices. After they are wrapped tight, throw them back on the smoker for about an hour. After the hour long braise, I'll poke through the foil with a temp probe or a tooth pick; if it slides in like butter, your ribs are almost done! If you HAVE to have them be "fall off the bone", braise them for 1.5 hours. DO NOT GO ANY LONGER, or they will literally be mush, and will fall apart when you try to put them back on the smoker for the final step.

Finally, I unwrap the ribs (reserving the juice in the foil), pop them back on the smoker, brush them down with your favorite sauce and the reserved juices, and let them go for another 15-20 minutes, until the sauce is set. (you can speed this up, and add a little more caramelization by turning the smoker up to 350/375 while you are unwrapping them from their hour long braise.)

Voila! You now have perfectly cooked ribs, in HALF the time. Try it some time, it really does work, and I'll never go back to 3-2-1.

Cheers all!

#209 2 years ago

Lol, thank you

Quoted from vid1900:

Venison backstrap is probably the hardest meat to barbecue
    Even 30 seconds of too much cooking time will immediately turn it into an inedible block of leather
    Cheating your way to perfection:
    Marinate 24 hours with a 50-50 mix of freshly made Italian salad dressing and Stubbs
    Sous vide for 2 hours at exactly 129° Fahrenheit
    Wipe off any marinade
    Put cast iron skillet on your grill, make sure grill is at 650+ degrees Fahrenheit, skillet should be crazy hot
    Put a generous glob of butter on the cast iron skillet,
    Reverse sear backstrap at 1 minute per side
    [quoted image]

I would try this but no sous vide thingy. I usually go with a screaming hot pan or griddle with butter and sage and finish in the oven. You arent kidding though when it comes to over-cooking it. It takes inly a few seconds if not watching. Not only are you an expert in pinball, but a damn good cook too. We all bow before you.

#210 2 years ago

Completely agree with the bite off the bone , not the fall off type rib.
    I just simply , got a late start and it was time to eat , everyone loved them , even though I knew better. It wasn't my best....honestly another 45min in foil it would have been titts...no complaints, but us guys know.

#211 2 years ago

Lamb on the Weber

3A8B42F6-6B92-48F7-B191-08B45BC0D8BF (resized).jpeg3A8B42F6-6B92-48F7-B191-08B45BC0D8BF (resized).jpeg6D583DB8-3351-4079-BA2E-F005D78FADA2 (resized).jpeg6D583DB8-3351-4079-BA2E-F005D78FADA2 (resized).jpeg
    #212 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

In a hurry for ribs, but don't have 6 hours to wait? I gave up on the 3-2-1 method a few years back in favor of a modified version that has won several competitions.
    Trust me when I say the ribs just flat out come out better; juicier, more tender (but not that fall-off-the-bone mush some people associate with ribs, I want to see a defined bite mark in mine, and not have the whole chunk of meat come sliding off the bone when I eat mine), and most importantly, in HALF the time.
    I do mine on a knock-off Big Green Egg XL (thanks VID from a few years ago with the recommendation for the BBE from Aldi's; I literally only fire up the big pit when I need to do more than 6 or 7 racks), but the recipe should be fine as long as the heat is indirect.
    I get my lump, red-oak charcoal rolling and stable to 325 F (Maybe 20-30 mins) while I trim, de-membrane, and season the ribs (either spare, St. Louis, or Baby Backs). I throw on a couple chunks of cherry (or whatever you like) on the charcoal, load the offset plate, then re-stabilize the smoker until there isn't heavy clouds of smoke pouring out, but rather "wisps". I load the ribs on after they have sat in the fridge for the rub to set, and set a timer for 1.5 hours.
    If you go a little over 1.5 hours you'll be fine, but try not to pull them early. The first hour and half is when the ribs absorb the smoke for flavor, sets the rub to a nice bark that doesn't rub off when touched, gets the much loved-but-not-important "smoke ring" in the meat, and gets some of that yummy fat rendered. The 325 temp is pretty important, try not to go below it, or much over 350, as the rub will get too dark.
    After the hour and a half, I wrap mine in heavy duty foil. You can add any number of braising liquids at this point (apple juice, honey, butter, etc.), but I skip all of that, and just wrap the ribs to let them finish in their own juices. After they are wrapped tight, throw them back on the smoker for about an hour. After the hour long braise, I'll poke through the foil with a temp probe or a tooth pick; if it slides in like butter, your ribs are almost done! If you HAVE to have them be "fall off the bone", braise them for 1.5 hours. DO NOT GO ANY LONGER, or they will literally be mush, and will fall apart when you try to put them back on the smoker for the final step.
    Finally, I unwrap the ribs (reserving the juice in the foil), pop them back on the smoker, brush them down with your favorite sauce and the reserved juices, and let them go for another 15-20 minutes, until the sauce is set. (you can speed this up, and add a little more caramelization by turning the smoker up to 350/375 while you are unwrapping them from their hour long braise.)
    Voila! You now have perfectly cooked ribs, in HALF the time. Try it some time, it really does work, and I'll never go back to 3-2-1.
    Cheers all!

Im going to try this.

I agree 6 hrs is quite a commitment for just ribs lol.

As for fall of the bone or getting a good bite?

I like it somewhat in between. But definitely no mush! And not fall off the bone.

I did 4 racks in my masterbuilt electric smoker using a modified 321 recipe over the weekend.

Set to 230 degrees for 3 hours then 2 hours in foil then 250 for the dry out hour.

We had Pinballgoddess parents over (they are in their 80's).

So tenderness was a big issue.

They went back for 2nd helpings and didn't complain!

#213 2 years ago

Buffalo wings on the old Weber Kettle!

7D6F66F1-A344-49E7-9502-876C4D062EA0 (resized).jpeg7D6F66F1-A344-49E7-9502-876C4D062EA0 (resized).jpeg
    #214 2 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

I dont think I have ever had lamb ribs. I will ask my butcher for some and try them out. How long do you cook lamb ribs?

I do these a couple times a year. My wife and I like it a lot better than the kids. The grocery store near me called Global Foods sells meat you can't get at a regular grocery, like rabit and other odd cuts of meat. I'm surprised Vid calls them lamb ribs because that was my nickname for the family. The store labels them as Halal Lamb Breast. First time I bought it I had no idea what it was. I have a rule for myself when I shop there and it is I have to buy one thing I have never had or heard of.

1 week later
    #215 2 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Nevermind, sorry guys, I went back a few posts and found out its called "alabama white sauce". Im gonna try it this thursday or friday. I found this recipie:
    https://heygrillhey.com/alabama-white-sauce/
    Is that an ok recipie?

I used to live about two miles from Gibson's BBQ - sure do miss that place

R

#216 2 years ago

Armadillo eggs

21150F69-8F29-4D90-ACD7-C0BBE37D20C7 (resized).jpeg21150F69-8F29-4D90-ACD7-C0BBE37D20C7 (resized).jpeg
    #217 2 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Armadillo eggs
    [quoted image]

whats the recipe it looks great,do you ship

#218 2 years ago

Those look pretty damn tasty! We do something similar, but they are BBQ Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Chicken Thighs. Got the recipe from one of Malcom Reeds old videos. Ours cook a lot faster than his do in the video, so if you try it out watch them closely. If they go to high all the cheese melts out and they aren't as good.

#219 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Those look pretty damn tasty! We do something similar, but they are BBQ Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Chicken Thighs. Got the recipe from one of Malcom Reeds old videos. Ours cook a lot faster than his do in the video, so if you try it out watch them closely. If they go to high all the cheese melts out and they aren't as good.

hell yeah

#220 2 years ago

We have been doing BBQ for many years, started out on just the Weber Kettle, went to an 18" and then a 22" WSM. I use really good hardwood lump charcoal along with wood chunk - mostly fruit woods, have split pallets of Weekend Warrior with others in the past but that's been years so now it's more of what can I find at the local ACE, the brazilian hardwood from BGE is okay but too many small pieces for my liking. The WSM does use a lot of fuel but man can you cook a lot of food in one cook on the two 22" surfaces. We've done them all but brisket has been settled as our and our friends' favorites. We talked about going back to pulled pork for this years huge Independence Day party but everyone whined so we did brisket again. Our real specialty though, or maybe I should say my wife's as she does all the hard work, are Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABTs). These started with a recipe she found on-line long ago but she's changed it so much it's our own now. These are Jalepenos stuffed with a mix of cream cheese, smoked pork or beef if we have some chopped left in the freezer and a lot of different spices. Then we wrap them in bacon, sprinkle them with dry rub and smoke them for 90 minutes or so depending on how big they are. Everyone raves over them and many friends have tried to copy them over the years with mixed results. I looked for some pictures of them but I can't find any of them at the moment.

We're going to be moving soon and I plan to sell my WSM and get a Kamado Joe ceramic cooker. My neighbor has one and I've helped him do cooks on it and I'm so impressed with how little fuel it uses and how steady the temp will stay even on cold, windy nights that require constant attention when using the WSM. Of all the ceramic ones I've seen it has the best available / included accessories and the top air-flow control is better than I've seen on anything else. Costco used to do a yearly K.J. roadshow event but they're severarly limited now and none are scheduled anywhere near us.

#221 2 years ago

I think its important to make sure any stuffed jalapeno or pepper is thouroughly cooked ,if you take them off too early and the pepper is still hard they will not fly off the plate .But when done correctly like the examples above were talking food of the Gods.

#222 2 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

We're going to be moving soon and I plan to sell my WSM and get a Kamado Joe ceramic cooker. My neighbor has one and I've helped him do cooks on it and I'm so impressed with how little fuel it uses and how steady the temp will stay even on cold, windy nights that require constant attention when using the WSM. Of all the ceramic ones I've seen it has the best available / included accessories and the top air-flow control is better than I've seen on anything else. Costco used to do a yearly K.J. roadshow event but they're severarly limited now and none are scheduled anywhere near us.

I have been EXTREMLY impressed with my Charbroiler Kamander. It's a BGE knockoff, and while not ceramic, it has the same insualtive properties being constructed from two stamped sheets of thick, powder coated metal, with rock wool insulation sandwiched in between.

I am usually a buy-once-cry-once type of person, and skip buying budget versions of things and go right for the top of the line for quality, but this cooker has been a rare exception. It has all of the features, and more (the air intake being on the accessory table is awesome) of a BGE XL, at literally a tenth of the price. I have used this thing 3-4 times a week, year round for the last 4 or so years, and other than wiping down the exterior from time to time with a damp sponge, it has required zero maintenance, and still looks like brand new, albeit I store it in the garage when not in use so it's not outside all the time. It is extremely versatile, and uses so little lump charcoal, it's almost unbelievable. It'll hold 225 all night, even in windy, cold, rainy nights.

If you don't have to impress the neighbors with an expensive ceramic cooker, I'd recommend the Kamander or the Char-Griller Akorn. I've had ceramic cookers in the past, and will stick with the "cheapies" from here on out.

At the end of the day, kamado style cookers really are the best when it comes to versatility and economy. Cheers and happy smoking!

#223 2 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

We're going to be moving soon and I plan to sell my WSM and get a Kamado Joe ceramic cooker.

Hell yeah I just set up my new
    Big Joe 3 on Sunday.
    1st rack of ribs turned out awesome!

FD921512-B170-4B1D-A22D-D65E4231CA8D (resized).jpegFD921512-B170-4B1D-A22D-D65E4231CA8D (resized).jpeg
    #224 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I have been EXTREMLY impressed with my Charbroiler Kamander. It's a BGE knockoff, and while not ceramic, it has the same insualtive properties being constructed from two stamped sheets of thick, powder coated metal, with rock wool insulation sandwiched in between.

I remember that week of everyone picking those suckers up.

Seems like a lifetime ago....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-black-egg-grill-125-or-99-clearance-aldi

#225 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Not who you were asking, but ThermoWorks just had this recipe in their monthly email (love ThermoWorks’ products!), but I haven’t tried it: https://blog.thermoworks.com/pork/armadillo-eggs/

#226 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

1. Easy, just grab some large jalapeños, cut the tops off, use a butter knife to clean them out.
    2. Stuff full with 50/50 cream cheese and cheddar cheese
    3. Then grab some ground Italian sausage (or breakfast sausage if you prefer) flatten it and wrap the stuffed jalapeño
    4. Then wrap the whole thing with regular thickness bacon
    5. Toss on the grill at 400 until 165 internal
    6. Enjoy

Have Instagram? I posted a video of them ne_pitmaster

#227 2 years ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Oh my a smoker thread. I raise a few (or several when the end times loom) pigs and found myself without a butcher and smoking facility last year. Thanks to YouTube I was able to turn this:
    [quoted image]
    Into this:
    [quoted image]
    That is a commercial fridge with a pellet smoker insert and for lower temp smoking it is truly incredible. Best bacon I ever had. And it was my first time. Can’t wait to see what this next season brings...

I'm also using a commercial fridge with a pellet smoker with a temperature accuracy that will be 5 degrees on either side of the set temperature and a cooking temperature range of 200 to 500 degrees. A spacious cooking area which is provided is sufficient for most large gatherings. In it, I can produce hot or cold smoked lox-style salmon or pit barbecued meat and vegetables at low 100 ̊F - 300 ̊F digital readings with no drying air drafts.

#228 2 years ago

You guys ever do lamb?

E90AE6DE-CCE9-47F4-B698-F8FD55B0F1BB (resized).jpegE90AE6DE-CCE9-47F4-B698-F8FD55B0F1BB (resized).jpeg
    #229 2 years ago

Wowzers! Looks AMAZING!

#230 2 years ago

I tried this yesterday,wow very good.These disappear fast at my house.

#231 2 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

You guys ever do lamb?
    [quoted image]

Looks fantastic, but really outside the realm of BBQ.

Your Armidello Eggs look yummy. I've always seen them called Atomic Buffalo Turds. Not sure which one sounds less appetizing, but they are so good. I made two dozen for the independance Day party we get invited to (I do halves, which makes the peppers go further and cuts the heat down a bit). I didn't take pictures because they didn't get the nice smoke I would usually do, as I'm still regulated too my gasser waiting for my patio project.

#232 2 years ago

Haven't smoked anything in awhile. Going to try to cheat a smoke ring with my MES and celery seeds.

smokering - Copy (resized).PNGsmokering - Copy (resized).PNG

#233 2 years ago

What’s with the celery seed?

Quoted from mcluvin:

Haven't smoked anything in awhile. Going to try to cheat a smoke ring with my MES and celery seeds.
    [quoted image]

#234 2 years ago
    Quoted from djsolzs:

It contains a lot of nitrate which is what makes the reddish smoke ring on meat. The pork turned out great, but no smoke ring at all. I think I needed to let it sit on the meat a bit before smoking it and I did not. I may have knocked a lot off when mopping the meat for that matter. Ithink I'll try making a celery seed tea next time and adding it to the marinade

#236 2 years ago

^ that is brutal

#237 2 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

[quoted image]

If you want a fake smoke ring, try 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda per pound of meat in your rub.

#238 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

^ that is brutal

I dont know what youre talking about, Zucc is a totally normal human doing totally normally human things, such as smoking brisket

#239 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Looks fantastic, but really outside the realm of BBQ.
    Your Armidello Eggs look yummy. I've always seen them called Atomic Buffalo Turds.

Lamb was cooked on an open fire IE BBQ, not sure why you call it outside the realm, but agree to disagree
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue

Atomic Buffalo turds are not the same but close I guess, we make those too, less work and very good.
    https://www.smoking-meat.com/june-8-2017-atomic-buffalo-turds-aka-abts

#240 2 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

You guys ever do lamb?
    [quoted image]

A nice crust on the outside is top notch

#241 2 years ago
    Quoted from djsolzs:

Henry Soo uses it in his rub, which I also replicate as my go to rub. Henry claims it helps absorb the smoke, but who knows, maybe it's a bbq tournament trick to get a good looking smoke ring based on mcluvin's response. I believe it adds to the flavor as well.

#242 2 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Lamb was cooked on an open fire IE BBQ, not sure why you call it outside the realm, but agree to disagree
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue
    Atomic Buffalo turds are not the same but close I guess, we make those too, less work and very good.
    https://www.smoking-meat.com/june-8-2017-atomic-buffalo-turds-aka-abts

It's probably been discussed, but BBQ and grilling are not the same. The lamb looks awesome though and Pinside probably can't handle a BBQ and a grilling thread with much activity, so I get it.

#243 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

It's probably been discussed, but BBQ and grilling are not the same. The lamb looks awesome though and Pinside probably can't handle a BBQ and a grilling thread with much activity, so I get it.

There is a what are we grilling thread. It’s full of bbq stuff as well.

#244 2 years ago

I'm not sure if anyone cares, but the Thermapen MK4 is being replaced by the Thermapen One. They are selling the MK4 at a pretty hefty discount. It's hands down the best probe I've ever used. It reads in about 2 seconds and is actually calibrated. Anyway, thought I'd throw that out there.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4?quantity=1&color=6

#245 2 years ago

I'm not sure if anyone cares, but the Thermapen MK4 is being replaced by the Thermapen One. They are selling the MK4 at a pretty hefty discount. It's hands down the best probe I've ever used. It reads in about 2 seconds and is actually calibrated. Anyway, thought I'd throw that out there.

Yep it’s great I’ve got an mk3 and a mk4.
    The signals is also 20% off I just picked one up last week, maybe overkill but it’s amazing. I’ve got the billows coming as well for my new Kamado big Joe.

CDADF5F6-24FE-4A8B-9422-18E0F07A4C2E (resized).jpegCDADF5F6-24FE-4A8B-9422-18E0F07A4C2E (resized).jpeg
    #246 2 years ago

Not smoked, but BBQ'd. Hosted a party this weekend where the guests brought the food and I simply cooked. Took on a Wagyu steak challenge (American Wagyu) and cooked the steaks three ways: BBQ'd, pan seared and finished in the oven and Sous vide + pan sear (pictured on the far right).

Winner, by far was the sous vide method. Works so well with the extra marbleized Wagyu. Also, steamed some lobster and grilled a whole octopus. I was in steak heaven - and had a steak coma for 24 hours! Quite a night.

Wagyu (resized).jpgWagyu (resized).jpg
    #247 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Absolutely, some might find this useful to expand knowledge. There is definitely a difference, but most differentiate more between grilling and smoking.
    https://www.bbqguys.com/grillabilities/basic/grilling-barbecuing-smoking

I don't believe I mentioned how it was cooked..... it was cooked at 350 degrees on indirect heat. But you can see that due to the lack of blackening.

What I find the most interesting, is that "Texas BBQ" is not BBQ at all, since 90% is done slow and low on an offset style cooker.....so I guess it’s “smoking” but do we even care?

Also curious when I cook steaks, I cook 350 indirect until 125 and then stoke the fire and reverse sear at probably 600-700 until 135, is that grilling or bbq? I never really cared what it’s called, just like the taste.

#248 2 years ago

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4?quantity=1&color=6

MK4 is awesome especially at the discount! I also use the "signals" from Thermoworks. I did grab a billows when on sales but have never used it. I don't usually leave my cooker alone and can manage the fire with vents.

There are 3,000 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ya-smoking/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.