Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,000 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by vidguy
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9187 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9191 (resized).jpeg
    20240408_161419 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8961 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mojo (resized).jpg
    IMG_0102 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_0103 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_9610 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9608 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9606 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20240331_165319713 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240331_165318272.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240330_231423284 (resized).jpg
    20240324_204739 (resized).jpg
    There are 3,000 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 60.
    #1601 11 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Look at the pic. There is a severe bend tipping towards that corner.

I don't think that's a bend. That's a water trail leading back to the drain. That's what I was trying to get a pic of. Just poured a bit of water there to confirm it flowed the correct direction and it did. But then I saw this.

20230520_185905.jpg20230520_185905.jpg
    #1602 11 months ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

I don't think that's a bend. That's a water trail leading back to the drain. That's what I was trying to get a pic of. Just poured a bit of water there to confirm it flowed the correct direction and it did. But then I saw this.
    [quoted image]

There you go. That’s the problem.

#1603 11 months ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

But then I saw this.

Degrease, then squirt a glob of 100% RTV silicone under the fold.

Put a piece of wax paper between the cabinet and the door, latch the door and allow to dry

#1604 11 months ago

Just delivered yesterday afternoon. Another cooking style for me to learn.

IMG_3855 (resized).jpegIMG_3855 (resized).jpeg
    #1605 11 months ago
    Quoted from WonderMellon:

Just delivered yesterday afternoon. Another cooking style for me to learn.

Download the joule app just for the recipes.
    My favorite thing to cook sous vide.
    #1 prime rib

IMG_5196 (resized).jpegIMG_5196 (resized).jpeg
    #1606 11 months ago

Got these puppies going right now.
    Usually, I don’t wrap ribs, but I’m doing the 321 method this time so time to wrap now.

IMG_6665 (resized).jpegIMG_6665 (resized).jpeg
    #1607 11 months ago

Looks great. The vegetarian only gets one ATB?

#1608 11 months ago

Just delivered yesterday afternoon. Another cooking style for me to learn.[quoted image]

Nice. Whatever you make, save the juices for gravy! Pork loins are the most common I do.

#1609 11 months ago

Thanks for the recommendation on the app. I will be doing ribs on the pellet smoker for Memorial Day. Plan to try pork loin then cut into chops and sear. Been doing it that way in the oven for a while, but never quite consistent with the inside temp. Hopefully this will fix my consistency problems.

#1610 11 months ago

Thanks for the recommendation on the app. I will be doing ribs on the pellet smoker for Memorial Day. Plan to try pork loin then cut into chops and sear. Been doing it that way in the oven for a while, but never quite consistent with the inside temp. Hopefully this will fix my consistency problems.

It kinda crazy how low you can cook and you’re meat and it will be pasteurized for holding it at a long time at those low temperatures with sous vide.
    You can have fully pasteurized safe to eat turkey that the juices are still quite pink and not clear.
    I prefer the juicer to run clear just because it looks a bit raw to me for poultry that way. But if you’re going to sear it on the grill afterwards, this may be the way to go.
    There is a great recipe for chuck roast steak on the Joule app done by chef steps that’s not as tender as an expensive cut, but super beefy and still great.
    Meanwhile, ribs are done!

IMG_6668 (resized).jpegIMG_6668 (resized).jpeg

IMG_6671 (resized).jpegIMG_6671 (resized).jpeg
    #1611 11 months ago

Have any of you used almond wood pellets?

almondwoodpellets (resized).PNGalmondwoodpellets (resized).PNG

#1612 11 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Yes there awesome!
    They make a plum pellet that’s awesome as well and also this top-secret Allmond Cabernet wine blend sold at Home Depot. Home Depot will ship them to your house for free.
    If you look a little bit in the app you’ll find it.
    They’re more expensive but you’re worth it!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#1613 11 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

[quoted image]

Yep, those exact ones, in fact. Very nice subtle flavor. We prefer them over the plum for most things.

#1614 11 months ago
    Quoted from RVH:

Yes there awesome!
    They make a plum pellet that’s awesome as well and also this top-secret Allmond Cabernet wine blend sold at Home Depot. Home Depot will ship them to your house for free.
    If you look a little bit in the app you’ll find it.
    They’re more expensive but you’re worth it!
    [quoted image]

Are those made from used wine casks or something?

#1615 11 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Degrease, then squirt a glob of 100% RTV silicone under the fold.
    Put a piece of wax paper between the cabinet and the door, latch the door and allow to dry

Thanks. Going to see if I'm under warranty but assuming I'm not I'll do this.

#1616 11 months ago
    Quoted from RVH:

It kinda crazy how low you can cook and you’re meat and it will be pasteurized for holding it at a long time at those low temperatures with sous vide.
    You can have fully pasteurized safe to eat turkey that the juices are still quite pink and not clear.
    I prefer the juicer to run clear just because it looks a bit raw to me for poultry that way. But if you’re going to sear it on the grill afterwards, this may be the way to go.
    There is a great recipe for chuck roast steak on the Joule app done by chef steps that’s not as tender as an expensive cut, but super beefy and still great.
    Meanwhile, ribs are done!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Oh those look so good!

#1617 11 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

[quoted image]

I ordered a 3-pack a while back. It’s on my plate to use next.
    Glad most think its decent product.

#1618 10 months ago

I've been a mostly electric smoker just because of the convenience. But, have really only done pork since there is such a HUGE temperature swing with them (at least based on the 2 I've had). Was going to go pellet and go cadillac (Recteq) but really liked what I saw with regards to the Masterbuilt vertical charcoal units that were talked about earlier in this thread. Never got a close out deal at Walmart. But decided to go "cheap" and pull the trigger on a smaller (560 sq in) unit at Home Depot. Did a break-in and monitor with my wifi thermometer over the weekend.

Definitely a temperature offset from the location of the thermometer the PID controller uses but very stable. Probably a definite swing across the cooking surface with the side closest to the firebox being hottest. You guys can chime in but I don't think this is unusual. Pellet smokers with center heat sources might have more even heat but I would think any offset smoker would be hotter closer to the fire.

Basically, I look at this as essentially an "automatic" offset-fire smoker.

Anyway, excited to try this new badboy out. Based on the reviews I've seen this may not last more than a couple years, but I take pretty good care of my kit so we'll see. I also don't intend to use it as a regular grill at all so maybe using just lower temps will help that. I really just got this for smoking as I'm still quite happy with my 20-year old Jenn-Aire gas grill for grilling. I've got an egg-knock-off for when I really want chargoal for grilling.

Anyway, happy morning all and GRILL ON!
    Jaz

#1619 10 months ago

I was grilling yesterday and the black flies were bad. I was about to drop $10 on a fly trap, but found an easy DIY trap. Take a plastic bottle and cut the top 5th or so off. Cut a hole in the cap big enough for a fly to crawl in. Put a mixture of water, honey or sugar, and some pungent food in the bottle. Maybe fill it a 1/4 full. I used some rotten banana. Take the top that you cut off and insert it upside down into the bottle. You now have a fly trap. It really works.

Flys like meat because they lay their eggs in it, so I added a chicken broth cube too. We'll see how that goes. When it gets nasty and full of dead flies, I'll just toss it and make another one.

#1620 10 months ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

I've been a mostly electric smoker just because of the convenience. But, have really only done pork since there is such a HUGE temperature swing with them (at least based on the 2 I've had). Was going to go pellet and go cadillac (Recteq) but really liked what I saw with regards to the Masterbuilt vertical charcoal units that were talked about earlier in this thread. Never got a close out deal at Walmart. But decided to go "cheap" and pull the trigger on a smaller (560 sq in) unit at Home Depot. Did a break-in and monitor with my wifi thermometer over the weekend.
    Definitely a temperature offset from the location of the thermometer the PID controller uses but very stable. Probably a definite swing across the cooking surface with the side closest to the firebox being hottest. You guys can chime in but I don't think this is unusual. Pellet smokers with center heat sources might have more even heat but I would think any offset smoker would be hotter closer to the fire.
    Anyway, excited to try this new badboy out. Based on the reviews I've seen this may not last more than a couple years, but I take pretty good care of my kit so we'll see. I also don't intend to use it as a regular grill at all so maybe using just lower temps will help that. I really just got this for smoking as I'm still quite happy with my 20-year old Jenn-Aire gas grill for grilling. I've got an egg-knock-off for when I really want chargoal for grilling.
    Jaz

Welcome to your second addiction. I plan on doing some goodies this coming weekend for the holiday.

#1621 10 months ago

Just finished grilling again. Tossed a little raw burger in the trap. Raw Burger is Fly Crack. Had 2 in the last 6 hours. Got 4 more in ~20 minutes. I'll spare you folks the pics.

#1622 10 months ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

Was going to go pellet and go cadillac (Recteq) but really liked what I saw with regards to the Masterbuilt

Recteq is made in the same Chinese factory as Pitboss, Treager, Charglo, and all the rest. Don't let the horns fool you, same internal mechs as all the others

#1623 10 months ago

Ok. First Sous Vide done. The cooler I bought was too tall, so grabbed a small one we have lying around. Did not want to destroy it, so left the lid open. For a 4 hour cook, no real evaporation issues.

Had a 4.5 lb pork loin. Seasoned with salt, pepper and some rosemary. Let it sit for a few hours, then rotated about 1/2 way through since 1 side was up again at the cooler. Temp at 144.

Let it sit for 15 min, the slices for pork chops. Put on the gas grill at hugest temp for 1 min on each side. Did not get any real char, but they were super tender. Will certainly try more.

Images are during cook, before grill and after grill

IMG_3857 (resized).jpegIMG_3857 (resized).jpegIMG_3858 (resized).jpegIMG_3858 (resized).jpegIMG_3859 (resized).jpegIMG_3859 (resized).jpeg
    #1624 10 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Recteq is made in the same Chinese factory as Pitboss, Treager, Charglo, and all the rest. Don't let the horns fool you, same internal mechs as all the others

Yoder is supposed to be best. Hopefully not made there.

#1625 10 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

So I hear the Recteq is just built like a tank (thick metal, heavy and solid). So maybe same internal mechs but is construction the same? Anyway, doesn't really matter right now. I went a different direction and going to play and have some fun! Temp control was pretty stable but have external temp monitoring to keep an eye on it.

Keep on smokin'! (and flippin')!
    Keith

#1626 10 months ago

I feel like smoking some ribs this weekend. It's been a few years since I've done it. Do y'all do a mustard binder the night before or just season and toss on the smoker day of?

#1627 10 months ago

If not brining, I just rub right before. Used mustard only once and believe it's a gimmik. My rub sticks without it.

#1628 10 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

If not brining, I just rub right before. Used mustard only once and believe it's a gimmik. My rub sticks without it.

Noted. If it's not a make or break thing, I'll give rub only a try this weekend!

#1629 10 months ago

Tri-Tip is a fun piece of meat… simple and quick to cook. Smoke is delicately added.

Sometimes I want a better smoke, but this cut of meat is not designed for that.

But damn.. still tastes good.

IMG_1890 (resized).jpegIMG_1890 (resized).jpegIMG_1893 (resized).jpegIMG_1893 (resized).jpeg
    #1630 10 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Yoder is supposed to be best. Hopefully not made there.

Yoder is made in USA (at least for the moment)

#1631 10 months ago

I bought a heavy cast iron type grill for my Weber a while back, much better than the wire one.
    Puts those nice grill lines on burgers and steaks, jerk chicken seems better too.

889A9D82-B0C8-4267-8A12-B9F1F3AF3BBE (resized).jpeg889A9D82-B0C8-4267-8A12-B9F1F3AF3BBE (resized).jpegBD198C0E-0CA5-44B5-91D2-A42CF5C7E95D (resized).jpegBD198C0E-0CA5-44B5-91D2-A42CF5C7E95D (resized).jpeg
    #1632 10 months ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

So I hear the Recteq is just built like a tank (thick metal, heavy and solid). So maybe same internal mechs but is construction the same?

You would think that "built like a tank", would mean that it weighed 50% more, but you look at the total assembled weight and it's basically in the same range as other competing models.

Maybe if they did one out of 100% stainless steel, that would be worth some extra coin.

Things that matter on a day-to-day basis would be; trapdoor to clean ash without a shop vac, big wheels that can roll in the grass and won't get caught between the deck boards, large pellet hopper, ability to add some chunks of real wood or charcoal, app that does not constantly crash, amount of vertical room between shelves

#1633 10 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Maybe if they did one out of 100% stainless steel, that would be worth some extra coin.

I've got a Bull grill made out of 304. Very heavy and no rust. But the burners suck and aren't cheap. One of these days, I'm gonna try to finagle some Weber burners in it. For most things though, my Q does what I need.

#1634 10 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You would think that "built like a tank", would mean that it weighed 50% more, but you look at the total assembled weight and it's basically in the same range as other competing models.
    Things that matter on a day-to-day basis would be; trapdoor to clean ash without a shop vac, big wheels that can roll in the grass and won't get caught between the deck boards, large pellet hopper, ability to add some chunks of real wood or charcoal, app that does not constantly crash, amount of vertical room between shelves

well, will maybe revisit all of this down the road some day... for now got the vertical charcoal to work with... it has at least a few of those...

#1635 10 months ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

.. for now got the vertical charcoal to work with...

You will love it

#1636 10 months ago

Hardwood Smoker by Dave Klose in Texas. It’s about 15 years old now and still works perfectly

IMG_7842 (resized).jpegIMG_7842 (resized).jpegIMG_7874 (resized).jpegIMG_7874 (resized).jpegIMG_7875 (resized).jpegIMG_7875 (resized).jpegIMG_8031 (resized).jpegIMG_8031 (resized).jpegIMG_8035 (resized).jpegIMG_8035 (resized).jpegIMG_8038 (resized).jpegIMG_8038 (resized).jpegIMG_8042 (resized).jpegIMG_8042 (resized).jpeg
    #1637 10 months ago
    Quoted from TheGunnett:

Hardwood Smoker by Dave Klose in Texas. It’s about 15 years old now and still works perfectly
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful

#1638 10 months ago

Nice stick burner!

#1639 10 months ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

Jaz

Here's my 2 cents and the pellet guys always get mad at me when I speak this truth, but if you actually know, then you know. Pellet grills just are not great smokers if you like a reasonably deep smoke flavor. I'm not talking burnt or dirty smoke, I just mean the kind of results you'll typically get with a stick burner (even when burning clean rolling some sweet blue). It was kind of a shock to me when I got my pellet grill when I was used to my stick burner results. I don't care what brand of pellet grill you have, or what kind of pellets you use, or even if you have a smoke tube going in the pellet grill at the same time, the pellet grill just isn't going to produce great smoke flavor. I don't know what kind of results your electric smoker provided but if you are used to great smoked food cooked on a stick burner or over a pit, its just not gonna be the same. That said, plenty of people are very happy with the results they get from their pellet grills and will try to swear up and down the smoke flavor is great. Unfortunately the laws of physics just prove that wrong. I miss the deep smokey flavors I used to get from my stick burner but the truth be told, I ended up selling my stick burner and keeping the pellet grill. The convenience was just too much to pass up. Definitely something to keep in mind when shopping for a new grill.

Another thing to think about is a pellet grill is a pellet GRILL. Its not a pellet smoker (although they do make dedicated pellet smokers). Its a sort of jack of all trades, and master of none. Its not the best grill in the world (IMO its a fairly poor grill) and its not the best smoker in the world but it will do it all. I really like camp chef products with the sidekick. It really adds a lot of versatility.

I have a few friends with the gravity charcoal and I am quite well versed in them. I really like the results you can get from them. They are able to come pretty close to stick burner flavor and they can get hot enough easily for good grilling and searing. I was greatly considering trading my pellet grill in for a charcoal gravity smoker. They have a few big time flaws though, the main one being just reliability and build quality issues. Flaps warp and sometimes they are very finnicky. They usually work great for about a season and then you start having all sorts of troubles with them. Theres an aftermarket for them to keep them running strong and improving them, but do you really want to mess with all that? Maybe you do, but I think I am out on the charcoal gravity setups until they get a little further refined.

As of right now, I am really liking the Camp Chef "pro" series. Thats the woodwind pro and the XXL pro. These are pellet devices that also have a tray you can load up with wood chunks and/or charcoal and from what I have seen they are the closest thing yet to real stick burner taste with the ease of pellets. The woodwind is a pellet grill setup and the XXL is a pellet smoker setup. I personally am in the market for the XXL as I have just gone back to the old reliable Weber for my grilling needs and I don't need a pellet grill, I want something thats dedicated to smoking. Camp Chef is a good brand thats on par with the upper mid range type grills you see from Treager, pitboss pro, and others. I've heard of a few bugs they are still ironing out here and there on their new series but it seems incredibly appealing. I've been happy with my camp chef SG series for the past 4 years or so, but I've been tasting that smoke taste dragon ever since. I'm ready to move on to the XXL pro

#1640 10 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Here's my 2 cents and the pellet guys always get mad at me when I speak this truth, but if you actually know, then you know.

Yep I thought I was a bad ass smoker with my Traeger until I went out and had some real barbecue at a joint and realized I needed something better. Bought a Kamado Joe, big Joe three, that’s pretty good and versatile as well but now I am thinking about maybe getting a stick burner. I probably won’t, but I keep thinking about it.
    Maybe I’ll check out an outlaw patio. I’ve got local dealer here.

IMG_6625 (resized).pngIMG_6625 (resized).png
    #1641 10 months ago

Many rental yards have stick smokers now.

Rent one for the week, and make sure you enjoy tending the firebox all day, on a couple of extended cooks.

#1642 10 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Rent one for the week, and make sure you enjoy tending the firebox all day, on a couple of extended cooks.

Exactly! If it's too much work it ain't fun.

#1643 10 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yup, I've smoked with other guys that had stick burners... not for me... too much time required. Maybe some day when I'm retired but not now... Actually I take that back... when I'm retired I'll have all kinds of other crap to do.

Hobbies: Pinball -1
    Brewing beer -2
    other stuff falls after those 2...

#1644 10 months ago

Right now, I'm just doing wings. Kirkland pulled pork is pretty good and doesn't take 10+ hours. 3 or 4 hours invested in wings and I'm eating for 3 days straight. And wings ain't cheap.

#1645 10 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Definitely this. If you're gonna be burning wood, make sure you don't mind being tied down all day, tending to the fire, adjusting the damper, ect. Its a lot of work, but it is quite rewarding. I actually did enjoy it most of the time, but after I got my pellet grill, it was just so hard to actually motivate myself to keep going through with it. Once the smoke was rolling, it was just whatever, but actually committing to doing a cook on the stick burner when I knew I could just throw it in the pellet grill and go about my business (for the most part) was too tempting most of the time. Thats why the stick burner left and the pellet stayed!

#1646 10 months ago

I went with a cabinet smoker for this reason. You run with charcoal and wood chunks, so you get a heavier smoke flavor than a pellet smoker, but with limited air flow, you aren’t tending the fire. I’ll run 6 to 8 hours without any adjustments.

#1647 10 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Definitely this. If you're gonna be burning wood, make sure you don't mind being tied down all day, tending to the fire, adjusting the damper, ect. Its a lot of work, but it is quite rewarding. I actually did enjoy it most of the time, but after I got my pellet grill, it was just so hard to actually motivate myself to keep going through with it. Once the smoke was rolling, it was just whatever, but actually committing to doing a cook on the stick burner when I knew I could just throw it in the pellet grill and go about my business (for the most part) was too tempting most of the time. Thats why the stick burner left and the pellet stayed!

Once I could control the temp from my phone, I never looked back on a pellet smoker. Being able to have a brisket and ribs going while I'm at my son's baseball game is amazing convenience. At this point in my life, the pellet convenience trumps the flavor of stick burners.

#1648 10 months ago

Right on guys, I already have a Timberline 850 a big Joe 3 and a Gosney dome.
    I’m really just looking for a new toy.
    Cooking is probably my number one hobby.

IMG_6706 (resized).pngIMG_6706 (resized).pngIMG_6708 (resized).pngIMG_6708 (resized).png
    #1649 10 months ago

Did 160 pounds of brisket for a graduation, and some sausages for lunch

IMG_3552 (resized).jpgIMG_3552 (resized).jpg
    #1650 10 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Here's my 2 cents and the pellet guys always get mad at me when I speak this truth, but if you actually know, then you know. Pellet grills just are not great smokers if you like a reasonably deep smoke flavor.

Yep I bought my big Joe 3 for this reason and it’s pretty much as easy as a pellet grill.
    I have a thermoWorks signals with the billows that controls the temperature on the charcoal pit. It has Wi-Fi and it makes better tasting barbecue then the pellet grill all day even if I use some fancy pellets.
    It even makes fancy grafts I can watch on my phone while it’s cooking.
    I pretty much only use my pellet grill now in the dead of winter and for cooking quick stuff like chicken wings or sausages or making jerky.

IMG_6710 (resized).pngIMG_6710 (resized).pngIMG_6712 (resized).pngIMG_6712 (resized).png
    There are 3,000 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ya-smoking/page/33 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.