Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,015 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 minutes ago by romulusx
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 8.53.15 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9187 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9191 (resized).jpeg
    20240408_161419 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8961 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mojo (resized).jpg
    IMG_0102 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_0103 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_9610 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9608 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9606 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20240331_165319713 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240331_165318272.MP (resized).jpg
    There are 3,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 61.
    #1451 1 year ago

BBQ’d some ribs over coal then slapped some meat Mitch whomp sauce on at the end for my lunches this week.
    Also made some smashed potato salad for a side, no pictures of that though.

3D62DFEA-512F-4BAB-A6F3-2B15E6153234 (resized).jpeg3D62DFEA-512F-4BAB-A6F3-2B15E6153234 (resized).jpeg
    #1452 1 year ago

https://anovaculinary.com/products/anova-red-precision-cooker-pro

Not smoking related, but glad I was patient with buying the sousvide wand. Got it way cheaper.

And the base model wand is also 49% off.

#1453 1 year ago
    Quoted from RVH:

BBQ’d some ribs over coal then slapped some meat Mitch whomp sauce on at the end for my lunches this week.
    Also made some smashed potato salad for a side, no pictures of that though.
    [quoted image]

Meat Church makes some of the best rubs around. Big fan of the Holy Gospel and Fajita rubs from them.

#1454 1 year ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

Meat Church makes some of the best rubs around. Big fan of the Holy Gospel and Fajita rubs from them.

I’ll also agree Meat Chruch’s Holy Grail is unique. I tend to do what he does and layer a little on top of what I’ve already seasoned the meat with.

Nice addition. I will say i did not care for his Voodoo spice. Profile is off for me.

#1455 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

I’ll also agree Meat Chruch’s Holy Grail is unique. I tend to do what he does and layer a little on top of what I’ve already seasoned the meat with.
    Nice addition. I will say i did not care for his Voodoo spice. Profile is off for me.

Yeah the Voodoo rub is definitely different. Not bad but not my favorite. We try to always have Fajita, Honey Hog, and Gospel stocked on the shelf.

#1456 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

I use the Voodoo on veggies and it is a favorite here. Marinated asparagus or squash spears with olive oil and voodoo on the grill turn out awesome. Have never tried it on meat though.

#1457 1 year ago
    Quoted from Selig:

I use the Voodoo on veggies and it is a favorite here. Marinated asparagus or squash spears with olive oil and voodoo on the grill turn out awesome. Have never tried it on meat though.

Quoted from pch3727:

Yeah the Voodoo rub is definitely different. Not bad but not my favorite. We try to always have Fajita, Honey Hog, and Gospel stocked on the shelf.

You know... putting the voodoo spice on veggies sounds like an interesting idea. Good way to try and repurpose instead of letting it idle.

#1458 12 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

https://anovaculinary.com/products/anova-red-precision-cooker-pro
    Not smoking related, but glad I was patient with buying the sousvide wand. Got it way cheaper.
    And the base model wand is also 49% off.

When I got my SV a year ago I thought I would incorporate with my BBQ routine, prefer the normal way for BBQ. For grilled meat it's awesome.

#1459 12 months ago

166DE8F9-EC1F-4BA9-8D0A-5E474B5F0654 (resized).jpeg166DE8F9-EC1F-4BA9-8D0A-5E474B5F0654 (resized).jpeg
    #1460 12 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

When I got my SV a year ago I thought I would incorporate with my BBQ routine, prefer the normal way for BBQ. For grilled meat it's awesome.

Okay… I am in the same boat as you for first smoking, place in sousvide, then sear.

Maybe that process takes too much time/effort, but I think I see value on some occasions when you want different meat to be ready at same time in the future.

Time will tell as it’s all new to me.

#1461 12 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Okay… I am in the same boat as you for first smoking, place in sousvide, then sear.
    Maybe that process takes too much time/effort, but I think I see value on some occasions when you want different meat to be ready at same time in the future.

My process is to sous vide first. Then I’ll freeze it for however long (good to do multiple butts at a time this way). Then thaw, apply rub, smoke, and serve.

#1462 12 months ago

SV is good if you like rare meats, but still need food safety.

Every high dollar steak house uses it.

Last year I saw that the pros sous vide entire turkeys and then smoke them, at that point my eyes were opened!

#1463 12 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

SV is good if you like rare meats, but still need food safety.
    Every high dollar steak house uses it.
    Last year I saw that the pros sous vide entire turkeys and then smoke them, at that point my eyes were opened!

With that.. I did not buy a dedicated unit and will do what you suggested and take a cooler and cut a hole.

Problem: I don’t have a spare to do this with and will require to buy a dedicated cooler.

What cooler size would you recommend to buy? Seems like one size does not fit all depending on what you’re doing.

I’d rather focus on thick cuts of steaks, Chuck steaks, lamb racks, pork chops, etc…

#1464 12 months ago

My cooler is small, maybe 15x12

You don't have to sacrifice your only cooler, just leave the lid open and use a sheet of stretch wrap to control the evaporation

#1465 12 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

No my point was I don't like using SV for BBQ at all. If I'm taking the time might as well do it right .

Grilling meats is different story. That's what I like SV for.

#1466 12 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

With that.. I did not buy a dedicated unit and will do what you suggested and take a cooler and cut a hole.
    Problem: I don’t have a spare to do this with and will require to buy a dedicated cooler.
    What cooler size would you recommend to buy? Seems like one size does not fit all depending on what you’re doing.
    I’d rather focus on thick cuts of steaks, Chuck steaks, lamb racks, pork chops, etc…

You don't need a cooler for these cuts, unless you're doing a ton at a time. And even then it's just for space. The cuts you identify won't likely need more than 4 hours on the high end (chuck maybe longer). Coolers are good for long cooks (like an 18 hour pork butt) where the water would otherwise evaporate.

#1467 12 months ago
    Quoted from Kevlar51:

You don't need a cooler for these cuts, unless you're doing a ton at a time. And even then it's just for space. The cuts you identify won't likely need more than 4 hours on the high end (chuck maybe longer). Coolers are good for long cooks (like an 18 hour pork butt) where the water would otherwise evaporate.

This is true.

You can use a pot, plastic shoebox, ammo box, drywall bucket, 2 gallon aquarium... anything that holds water.

Cooks often insulate the container by wrapping a towel around; to save a little electricity.

#1468 12 months ago

Oh.. well then I’ll just not buy one for now and play around with it to see what I’ll prefer.

I’ve been reading many folks choose to use Ziplock bags instead of vacuum sealing. What is your takes on that?

Ziplock sounds like a winner to me. All the vacuum sealing stuff I leave for that wife to do as I hate our unit.

#1469 12 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Oh.. well then I’ll just not buy one for now and play around with it to see what I’ll prefer.
    I’ve been reading many folks choose to use Ziplock bags instead of vacuum sealing. What is your takes on that?
    Ziplock sounds like a winner to me. All the vacuum sealing stuff I leave for that wife to do as I hate our unit.

I'll vacuum seal if I'm going to freeze in order to SV later. But if I've got a short cook for a steak that's fresh out of the fridge, I'll use a ziplock bag and the water displacement method--slowly put the open bag into the water and it'll push all the air out--then use a chip clip to attach the top of the bag to the side of the pot.

I'll also use 2 gallon ziplock bags for my pork butts, but that's only because they're too big for my vacuum seal bags.

#1470 12 months ago

If you buy meat that's vacuum packed from something like Butcher Box or Omaha Steaks, it's already good to go as far as the sous vide.

(Obviously don't sous vide in supermarket packaging. That has Styrofoam, cardboard of those weird nitrogen maxipads tucked inside)

IMG_20230428_145255.jpgIMG_20230428_145255.jpg
    #1471 12 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

I got a cheap sealer, it broke, I returned. Been using gallon size ziplock freezer bags ever since. Best weights I have found are glass canning weights.

#1472 12 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you buy meat that's vacuum packed from something like Butcher Box or Omaha Steaks, it's already good to go as far as the sous vide.
    (Obviously don't sous vide in supermarket packaging. That has Styrofoam, cardboard of those weird nitrogen maxipads tucked inside)[quoted image]

Yes, learned not all factory sealing is equal. If it's thick plastic that looks like a high quality seal, you should be fine.

#1473 12 months ago

Smoking ribeyes and chicken tonight. Had to clean out the smoker (worst part of having one) since we hadn't used it in months due to the weather.

2023-04-28-ribeye-and-chicken (resized).JPG2023-04-28-ribeye-and-chicken (resized).JPG
    #1474 12 months ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Smoking ribeyes and chicken tonight. Had to clean out the smoker (worst part of having one) since we hadn't used it in months due to the weather.

Smoking your steak! Going for reverse sear? Sounds great

#1475 12 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Smoking your steak! Going for reverse sear? Sounds great

Yeah, I'll sear the steak on a gas grill at the end. Chicken just is eaten as-is so it doesn't get tough.

Traeger says to sear for 5 minutes (on their grill at high heat, but it's inferior to a gas grill high heat, IMO), but they're crazy. That would be SUPER tough. I usually just do about 2 minutes so I don't end up past medium. Medium rare is ideal, but I usually overshoot it a bit.

A combination Traeger and gas grill (half smoker, half gas grill) would be ideal. Until then we have a Traeger and a Weber Genesis.

#1476 12 months ago

Be sure to show us your end result, deliciousiness

#1477 12 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Be sure to show us your end result, deliciousiness

Reverse sear smoked ribeyes, done.

2023-04-28 Ribeye (resized).JPG2023-04-28 Ribeye (resized).JPG

#1478 12 months ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Ribeyes, done.
    [quoted image]

Dang, those look awesome

#1479 12 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Dang, those look awesome

I actually like the NY strips better smoked, but both are great. The Traeger Ironwood was a great purchase (I've been lusting after their Timberline XL now). We use it more than the gas grill overall, but both have their place.

#1480 12 months ago

It’s time to fire up the tandoor oven, a few days ago I did chicken tikka which I chucked into my own masala sauce with rice.

Today I took the skin off some chicken legs and put fresh lemon juice and a bit of salt rubbed in, rubbed jerk seasoning in and left for a few hours.
    Skewered them up with a potato on the bottom as a heat shield, wow so tender, juicy and the flavour is like nothing else.

Very quick cooking, chicken tikka about 10 mins. Legs about 30mins.

5BE74087-55F6-4E23-B87D-BA529DA1BF1E (resized).jpeg5BE74087-55F6-4E23-B87D-BA529DA1BF1E (resized).jpeg28A602BD-EE8E-4B80-8E21-3311104B9ACA (resized).jpeg28A602BD-EE8E-4B80-8E21-3311104B9ACA (resized).jpeg24A8CC18-D7B7-478B-B097-9803C47271B3 (resized).jpeg24A8CC18-D7B7-478B-B097-9803C47271B3 (resized).jpeg01DB56CF-4B10-44B0-914B-EED0B91D1BBA (resized).jpeg01DB56CF-4B10-44B0-914B-EED0B91D1BBA (resized).jpegC43E51DB-23D2-423E-9D7F-3B7F8115D6BE (resized).jpegC43E51DB-23D2-423E-9D7F-3B7F8115D6BE (resized).jpeg

7FE1196D-F99E-4F9B-9297-BE1A61757A56.gif7FE1196D-F99E-4F9B-9297-BE1A61757A56.gif
    #1481 12 months ago
    Quoted from Lostcause:

It’s time to fire up the tandoor oven, a few days ago I did chicken tikka which I chucked into my own masala sauce with rice.
    Today I took the skin of some chicken legs and put fresh lemon juice and a bit of salt rubbed in, rubbed jerk seasoning in and left for a few hours.
    Skewered them up with a potato on the bottom as a heat shield, wow so tender, juicy and the flavour is like nothing else.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Saw someone on YouTube cook with one of these for the first time a few months ago. It looks awesome. What are the price ranges to get one?

Looks super yummy

#1482 12 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Saw someone on YouTube cook with one of these for the first time a few months ago. It looks awesome. What are the price ranges to get one?
    Looks super yummy

I have had mine a few years and was about £200ish, I think you can get them also your way. Made in India I believe.
    Amazing food comes out of these and quick as high temp.

I have the SS2, prices have gone up since I bought mine. Just like everything these days
    https://www.puritandoors.co.uk/

#1483 12 months ago

So.. I went to Costco today expecting to buy some serious meat. Brought $150 cash for some meat to sous vide.

Maybe it was timing, but are your Costco have limited inventory?

They had 0 Beef Ribs, 1 Brisket, 0 Tomahawk steaks, 0 T-bone and porterhouse.

Crazy…. I was not feeling it with Pork as I wanted to test out sous vide.

Bad timing? I live 1.5 hours away so it’s not like I can go everyday or weekend.

#1484 12 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

So.. I went to Costco today expecting to buy some serious meat. Brought $150 cash for some meat to sous vide.
    Bad timing? I live 1.5 hours away so it’s not like I can go everyday or weekend.

Must be that Costco. Ours is well stocked again after some sparse patches in the pandemic. Picked up some ribeyes yesterday and they had plenty. I also noticed a bunch of ribs nearby.

#1485 12 months ago

Gordon's Wings about to go on the smoker. Quick tip, if your electric smoker is popping the GFCI, take a brass brush to the plug. Any corrosion will make the GFCI pop.

#1486 12 months ago

My pellet tube kept going out so I tried to keep it going for the entire 2 1/2 hours. So 2 1/2 hours at 225, then 10 minutes in the oven at 450. They turned out crispy enough for me. And no shi*, buy your wings at Gordon's if you have one. They are huge! Thank you Jaybird815 for that rtip. $18 for 10 pounds...

Just turn your head sideways...

wingas (resized).PNGwingas (resized).PNG

#1487 12 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

My pellet tube kept going out so I tried to keep it going for the entire 2 1/2 hours. So 2 1/2 hours at 225, then 10 minutes in the oven at 450. They turned out crispy enough for me. And no shi*, buy your wings at Gordon's if you have one. They are huge! Thank you Jaybird815 for that rtip. $18 for 10 pounds...
    Just turn your head sideways...
    [quoted image]

Hot dang!! Those look good and the price you got for those big wings is a super steal! My local Walmart has them for $4.10 lb!! Let’s not even talk about how much my Albertsons charge.

Phew… I need to locate some cheap store in the future to stock up on these items.

Screw buying local (for me at least). My little town is hitting my wallet hard.

#1488 12 months ago

Anybody got a good blue cheese dressing recipe? Store bought sucks every f'n time.

#1489 12 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Hot dang!! Those look good and the price you got for those big wings is a super steal! My local Walmart has them for $4.10 lb!! Let’s not even talk about how much my Albertsons charge.

You had me questioning it, but I just checked my receipt. Yep, $1.80/lb. No Gordon's near you I'm afraid. I hate shi**y , small wings...

#1490 12 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Anybody got a good blue cheese dressing recipe? Store bought sucks every f'n time.

I do 1 cup mayo, 1/4 cup sour cream, juice of one lemon, like 40 cranks of fresh cracked black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon of Worcester, and 3/4 cup of blue cheese. This is a pretty chunky recipe, more of a dip than a dressing. If you want to use it on salads you could thin it out with some cream or half and half.

#1491 12 months ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

I do 1 cup mayo, 1/4 cup sour cream, juice of one lemon, like 40 cranks of fresh cracked black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon of Worcester, and 3/4 cup of blue cheese. This is a pretty chunky recipe, more of a dip than a dressing. If you want to use it on salads you could thin it out with some cream or half and half.

Thanks! I'll give it a try. My local Mojo's has the best blue cheese dressing I've tried and I am certain they make it in-house. It is very chunky. Nothing store-bought even comes close...

#1492 12 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

And no shi*, buy your wings at Gordon's if you have one. They are huge! Thank you Jaybird815 for that rtip. $18 for 10 pounds...

Jumbo wings at Restaurant Depot were $1.25 a pound last time I bought them. 40 Lb box of wings for $50.

#1493 12 months ago
    Quoted from RVH:

Jumbo wings at Restaurant Depot were $1.25 a pound last time I bought them. 40 Lb box of wings for $50.

I wouldn't know what to do with 40 pounds of wings. Are they huge though? All kinds of small wings out there. Gordon's wings are huge...

#1494 12 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Availability is fine here in Iowa. Prices are meh, except I got a good deal a few weekends ago on $3.99/lb prime brisket.

#1495 12 months ago

I've never seen chicken wings that size before. They look like almost the size of a chicken breast? What breed are these chickens?

#1496 12 months ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

I've never seen chicken wings that size before. They look like almost the size of a chicken breast? What breed are these chickens?

Ones that live longer than a few months.

Quoted from Lostcause:

Today I took the skin off some chicken legs and put fresh lemon juice and a bit of salt rubbed in, rubbed jerk seasoning in and left for a few hours.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I am going to try this using the big green egg. I think it will cook similiar?

#1497 12 months ago

Getting ready to smoke 3 racks.

20230430_075941 (resized).jpg20230430_075941 (resized).jpg
    #1498 12 months ago

The giant Anova Pro SV (1200w !!) is on sale 50% off for $199.

Uses WiFi , so no dropped BT connections. You can monitor or even start it from work.

Amazon matched the price, but if you want to be sure its not counterfeit, I'd suggest getting it directly from Anova.

https://anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker-pro

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QFC6LN6

Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 11-15-23 Anova Precision® Cooker Pro (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-04-30 at 11-15-23 Anova Precision® Cooker Pro (resized).png
    #1499 12 months ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Ones that live longer than a few months.

I am going to try this using the big green egg. I think it will cook similiar?

Yeah, or more probably grow very fast.

#1500 12 months ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

Quoted from zermeno68:

Phew… I need to locate some cheap store in the future to stock up on these items.
    Screw buying local (for me at least). My little town is hitting my wallet hard.

GFS has great Jumbo wings! My local is $12.99 for 4lbs.Holy Voodoo the night before cook uncovered will help with crispy wings

There are 3,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ya-smoking/page/30?hl=selig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.