Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,952 posts
  • 170 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Viggin900
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240323_181015 (resized).jpg
    20240318_113845 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_8081130_0 (resized).jpg
    20240317_093802 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3010 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20240316_150357.jpg
    IMG_20240316_142456.jpg
    20240310_123751 (resized).jpg
    20240309_200629 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8528 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8526 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8527 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    81VM8QM5ruL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240227_132144.jpg
    IMG_2959 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,952 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 60.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rodent:

I use the same meatloaf recipe (see link in post above) plus chopped green bell pepper and onions to make bacon wrapped meat logs
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Nice Fatty.

I did this meat cake last Independance Day.

IMG_20200704_213518554 (resized).jpgIMG_20200704_213518554 (resized).jpg

The host said it was too smoky later on and smelled up her kitchen (not in a bitchy way, but honest). They also thought it wasn't done because of the pink, despite me explaining it's the smoke ring. Never again will I do this for the overcooked hotdog/brat crowd. I loved it and ate all the leftovers.

#52 2 years ago

I've got a vertical stick burner that is great for things like ribs, chicken, turkey, etc..anything that isn't an especially long cook. In the winter I use it to cold smoke cheeses as well.

Long cooks I use my Vision Kamado. Once the temp is set I can stick in my briskets ormpork butts, plug in my thermometer and go to bed. It holds heat very well and is big enough to not need to be refilled except in very long smokes, like 18+ hours. It's great for pizza too.

Grilling I have my old trusty Weber kettle. I've had it since 1998 and with the exception of having to replace the charcoal grill, it's held up incredibly well. Damn thing is indestructible.

#53 2 years ago

I did this brisket over the weekend on a PK grill, The pic is before I wrapped it in foil with a bit of cola for another 4 hours. When it was done you could cut it with a spoon. The PK is the best grill I have ever used. Works great for smoking meat or normal grilling. The PK replaced my Weber kettle ( loved it) which I use now as a pizza oven with a kettle pizza kit for it. it's fantastic too!

IMG_2825 (resized).jpgIMG_2825 (resized).jpg
    #54 2 years ago

This is why you need two Big Green Eggs.

IMG_20200927_181319629 (resized).jpgIMG_20200927_181319629 (resized).jpg

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

[quoted image]

Is the back of your house clad with wood shakes?

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

[quoted image]

Well, one BGE and one small...

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

[quoted image]

looks like an XL and a Med BGE pairing.

I have an XL as I often cook for groups of 7-12, and am saving up for a second one for when it's just 2 of us, or I need to cook something at a significantly different temp. Undecided between a Med or L and leaning towards the L

any remorse that you got a Med instead of a L as your second BGE?

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I use a Kettle Pizza accessory to make my pizza's on my Weber kettle.I use Kingsford charcoal and large wood chunks and get that bad boy up to 750 degrees!You know yourself how good these homemade pizza's can be off the grill.

Ill have to look at that.

Im surprised you can get it and keep it that hot.

I did pizzas on a green egg that came out great but that was a huge pain in the ass.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from djsolzs:

Anyone doing Keto that has any good suggestions for spice rubs?

Fresh Jax, Cosmo.. there are quite a few just search on amazon

Not a ton with no sugar but they are out there.. and usually expensive like most keto things

#60 2 years ago

Yeah that’s why I was curious if anyone was making their own rubs or anything. Thanks

Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Fresh Jax, Cosmo.. there are quite a few just search on amazon
    Not a ton with no sugar but they are out there.. and usually expensive like most keto things

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rodent:

I have an XL as I often cook for groups of 7-12, and am saving up for a second one for when it's just 2 of us, or I need to cook something at a significantly different temp. Undecided between a Med or L and leaning towards the L

I'd personally go L, and I'm mostly cooking for 2.

#62 2 years ago

So you wing guys ..
    What would be the temp and cook time on a smoker for these ,please ?
    Here is my own 1off vertical smoker
    Multiple levels, Bottom up, coal wood rack, water pan rack, cooking racks 1&2

20200824_183849 (resized).jpg20200824_183849 (resized).jpg
    #63 2 years ago

I do wings at 375F for 40 minutes flipping them once at 20 minutes.

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

I do wings at 375F for 40 minutes flipping them once at 20 minutes.

Thank you , rubs ?

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Thank you , rubs ?

Meat Church honey hog hot.
    Or regular honey hog if you don’t like hot.

#66 2 years ago

Going to smoke some Salmon today.I use a seperate smoker for fish.

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Thank you , rubs ?

You can really season with anything you like. A KC rub is good to.

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from djsolzs:

Anyone doing Keto that has any good suggestions for spice rubs?

unsure if this is Keto, but here's my wangs prep:

2T olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced very fine
    1T Chili powder
    1/2t ground Cumin
    1/4t Onion powder
    1/4t garlic powder
    1/4t Kosher salt

I usually double the above for 3 pounds of uncooked wings. Mix it all together in a bowl

Add 1-1/2 pounds to a zip lock bag (or all in a larger bag if you have one that fits) and 1/2 of the spice mix. Zip tight and knead the spices until evenly mixed thru all of the bagged wings. Toss in the fridge for 4-24 hours, then add to a 225F preheated BGE. Cooking time is 2-3 hours (I cook until internal temp is at least 175F)

For beef (I typically use this on a Chuck Roast (aka "poor man's brisket")) I will dry brine with Kosher salt for 24 hours, then dry rub with the following spice mix

3T ground black Pepper
    1T Onion powder
    2t Mustard powder
    2t garlic powder
    1/2t ground Cumin
    2t Chili powder
    1/2t Cayenne powder

I let the dry rub do it's thing for 2-4 hours before loading in to a 225F BGE with a couple strategically Pecan wood chunks

ATB - R

#69 2 years ago

Tonight’s meatloaf

A6DC4507-375E-4454-94D4-218C9B60527D (resized).jpegA6DC4507-375E-4454-94D4-218C9B60527D (resized).jpeg

#70 2 years ago

Last night was skirt steak. Love making it into Mexican street tacos. Just add tortillas, onion, cilantro and salsa and you’re good to go!

Favorite thing to BBQ though is tri-tip. Seems to be a California thing, maybe it’s called something else in other parts of the country.

Jealous of the OP in Kansas City. Best ribs bar none IMHO. Only other BBQ that can compete is Texas brisket and California tri-tip.

6D39ED39-AEDC-4E8E-8E3D-A0BD2EE80D39 (resized).jpeg6D39ED39-AEDC-4E8E-8E3D-A0BD2EE80D39 (resized).jpeg
    #71 2 years ago

I did some wings on Saturday. 275 for 2 hours then fried them for 3 minutes. I forgot to take a pic while they were on the smoker.

AC6971DB-84AD-4CEF-91DE-F679A0FF4724 (resized).jpegAC6971DB-84AD-4CEF-91DE-F679A0FF4724 (resized).jpeg
    #72 2 years ago

Sure is thank you for this!

Quoted from Rodent:

2T olive oil
    1T Chili powder
    1/2t ground Cumin
    1/4t Onion powder
    1/4t garlic powder
    1/4t Kosher salt
    I usually double the above for 3 pounds of uncooked wings. Mix it all together in a bowl
    Add 1-1/2 pounds to a zip lock bag (or all in a larger bag if you have one that fits) and 1/2 of the spice mix. Zip tight and knead the spices until evenly mixed thru all of the bagged wings. Toss in the fridge for 4-24 hours, then add to a 225F preheated BGE. Cooking time is 2-3 hours (I cook until internal temp is at least 175F)
    For beef (I typically use this on a Chuck Roast (aka "poor man's brisket")) I will dry brine with Kosher salt for 24 hours, then dry rub with the following spice mix
    3T ground black Pepper
    1T Onion powder
    2t Mustard powder
    2t garlic powder
    1/2t ground Cumin
    2t Chili powder
    1/2t Cayenne powder
    I let the dry rub do it's thing for 2-4 hours before loading in to a 225F BGE with a couple strategically Pecan wood chunks
    ATB - R

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rodent:

2T olive oil
    1T Chili powder
    1/2t ground Cumin
    1/4t Onion powder
    1/4t garlic powder
    1/4t Kosher salt
    3T ground black Pepper
    1T Onion powder
    2t Mustard powder
    2t garlic powder
    1/2t ground Cumin
    2t Chili powder
    1/2t Cayenne powder
    ATB - R

Chuck roast is so good smoked on the weber kettle!I follow what use to be ABC BBQ it’s called SnS now on you tube

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from LeMansFan:

Last night was skirt steak. Love making it into Mexican street tacos. Just add tortillas, onion, cilantro and salsa and you’re good to go!
    Favorite thing to BBQ though is tri-tip. Seems to be a California thing, maybe it’s called something else in other parts of the country.
    Jealous of the OP in Kansas City. Best ribs bar none IMHO. Only other BBQ that can compete is Texas brisket and California tri-tip.
    [quoted image]

The ribs in KC are top notch. Everywhere has their specialty. Im not familiar with tri-tip from California. What do you all do to it over there? That skirt steak for tacos looks good. We dont have good tacos like I have had in Cali and Texas.

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

The ribs in KC are top notch. Everywhere has their specialty. Im not familiar with tri-tip from California. What do you all do to it over there? That skirt steak for tacos looks good. We dont have good tacos like I have had in Cali and Texas.

Im sure there are many ways to do good Tri Tips sometimes all you need is salt n pepper the meat is so good other days teriyaki sauce on the tri tip is good same as teriyaki chicken.I find when Im doing teriyaki neighbors I have not seen in awhile decide its a good time to say hello.

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

An authentic Santa Maria tri tip is rubbed with Salt, Pepper, and Garlic salt. Cooked over Red Oak, preferrably using an Argentine style grill.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rodent:

You are correct, XL and Med. The medium was my intro into the BGE world, kind of like that B/C list pin that got you going. I upgraded to the XL because the Med. has really no aftermarket/accesory support. I like to add butternut squash or potatos towards the end of the cook and the Med had no room for that. However, the medium does an awesome job smoking meat, but it is not a multi-tasker. I highly recommend a Large for main or second BGE. The Large, being the most common size, has lots of accessories that allow multi-level BBQing.

After getting the XL I could not bring myself to sell the Med. I basically use it as an easy way to different types of cooking while the other BGE is cooking. My favorite way to use it is for wok'ing.

Quoted from romulusx:

Is the back of your house clad with wood shakes?

Yeah, I just moved though, so don't have the same setup. I am 75% low and slow. The hottest I cook on the XL are pizzas and try to keep around 500 F. When I'm starting the grills or doing burn outs the stand rolls out and I can get it away from the house. There is easily 6 inches of clearance just to be able to open the lid.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

You are correct, XL and Med. The medium was my intro into the BGE world, kind of like that B/C list pin that got you going. I upgraded to the XL because the Med. has really no aftermarket/accesory support. I like to add butternut squash or potatos towards the end of the cook and the Med had no room for that. However, the medium does an awesome job smoking meat, but it is not a multi-tasker. I highly recommend a Large for main or second BGE. The Large, being the most common size, has lots of accessories that allow multi-level BBQing.
    After getting the XL I could not bring myself to sell the Med. I basically use it as an easy way to different types of cooking while the other BGE is cooking. My favorite way to use it is for wok'ing.

**That right there** is exactly the kind of experience-based reply I've been seeking - thank you! I had thought of many aspects, but had failed to notice the diminished accessories available for the Med unit. A Large it will be

ATB - R

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rodent:

**That right there** is exactly the kind of experience-based reply I've been seeking - thank you! I had thought of many aspects, but had failed to notice the diminished accessories available for the Med unit. A Large it will be
    ATB - R

Check out Ceramic Grill Store (CGS). Better quality than BGE accessories and same or cheaper. Small business, so like talking to a pinball supplier if you have questions. You wouldn't believe it, but there is drama in the BGE world like the pinball world. BGE egg stole some CGS designs and got away with it.

edit: Rodent sorry it took so long to reply, but glad you found my advice useful. This thread doesn't reach the top much.

#80 2 years ago

We should definitely give this thread some love. I enjoy reading people's methods and recipes. Helps make your own better.

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Yeah, I just moved though, so don't have the same setup. I am 75% low and slow. The hottest I cook on the XL are pizzas and try to keep around 500 F. When I'm starting the grills or doing burn outs the stand rolls out and I can get it away from the house. There is easily 6 inches of clearance just to be able to open the lid.

I just know when I'm using the Pizza-Kettle accessory on the Weber the flames from the oak wood chunks jumps hot and tall.It virtually turns into a brick pizza oven.My son just picked up a Weber Smoke Fire and after congratulating him and talking grilling I advised him to move it away from his Hardibacker siding when using!

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I just know when I'm using the Pizza-Kettle accessory on the Weber the flames from the oak wood chunks jumps hot and tall.It virtually turns into a brick pizza oven.My son just picked up a Weber Smoke Fire and after congratulating him and talking grilling I advised him to move it away from his Hardibacker siding when using!

Oh my, I can't imagine doing a proper pizza on a Weber (I assume kettle). You need serious insulation to get hot temps, like a ceramic grill. The guys on Eggheadforum say the BGE is bad for pizza, but those dudes are doing 1,000 degree neopolitan pizzas. They end up buying bespoke wood fire pizza ovens for their patio. I like me a nice 500 degree pizza cooked in 10 minutes on a stone. We do family style personal pizzas, so I'm constantly feeding the grill with pizzas. Also, for pizza you want good lump, no smoking woods. I was looking, but no pics. I need to fix that.

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Oh my, I can't imagine doing a proper pizza on a Weber (I assume kettle). You need serious insulation to get hot temps, like a ceramic grill. The guys on Eggheadforum say the BGE is bad for pizza, but those dudes are doing 1,000 degree neopolitan pizzas. They end up buying bespoke wood fire pizza ovens for their patio. I like me a nice 500 degree pizza cooked in 10 minutes on a stone. We do family style personal pizzas, so I'm constantly feeding the grill with pizzas. Also, for pizza you want good lump, no smoking woods. I was looking, but no pics. I need to fix that.

I use my Komodo to cook pizza wood wood exclusively. Never had any issues or complaints.

#84 2 years ago

Mexicali wings in the works for a late dinner tonight. Same rub I used for the chicken thighs that became street tacos. First time using this for wings

E9E6D1C4-8AC8-4ADF-87DD-DF9799F3B4EE (resized).jpegE9E6D1C4-8AC8-4ADF-87DD-DF9799F3B4EE (resized).jpeg

These were packed in a refrigerated zip lock bag for 9 hours before loading on the the BGE

ABC976F0-4E2C-4FE7-8EA7-0D71D9998A82 (resized).jpegABC976F0-4E2C-4FE7-8EA7-0D71D9998A82 (resized).jpeg

I have a nice micro-brew Lager in waiting, and also some grilled veggies will be loaded on the side. Will try to remember to snag an image when these are done

#85 2 years ago

looking good, whats the mix

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

looking good, whats the mix

Given the quantity, I made a double batch of this:

2T extra virgin olive oil
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1T Chili powder
    1/2t ground Cumin
    1/4t Onion powder
    1/4t Garlic powder

Mash it all up with a fork until it’s an evenly smooth paste, then add the wangs and toss or mix by gloved hand until evenly distributed. Load into a ziplock bag, squeeze the air out, and set in the fridge for 4-24 hours. I mix it up every couple hours until it’s time to load onto the BGE

#87 2 years ago

Brisket

F1305A45-B055-4CA0-B61E-A9957900FE26 (resized).jpegF1305A45-B055-4CA0-B61E-A9957900FE26 (resized).jpeg
    #88 2 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Brisket
    [quoted image]

Beautiful ring!!

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

I use my Komodo to cook pizza wood wood exclusively. Never had any issues or complaints.

Do you mean lump charcoal or just using wood chunks? How is the Komodo Joe? My coworker has one and loves it. It's basically the same as the BGE.

#91 2 years ago

Dinner is served!

96A105E1-BB9E-48D8-9C31-95212EAD9397 (resized).jpeg96A105E1-BB9E-48D8-9C31-95212EAD9397 (resized).jpeg

C6361C45-5BF7-4897-AC99-55325829A935 (resized).jpegC6361C45-5BF7-4897-AC99-55325829A935 (resized).jpeg

I like pecan better with this rub mix bs the apple/cherry combo. Still very good and worthy of a repeat

#92 2 years ago

Oh my a smoker thread. I raise a few (or several when the end times loom) pigs and found myself without a butcher and smoking facility last year. Thanks to YouTube I was able to turn this:
    CEEC37FC-3BD6-46DD-BC04-D24FDD0A32B5 (resized).jpegCEEC37FC-3BD6-46DD-BC04-D24FDD0A32B5 (resized).jpeg
    Into this:
    CF7C73AB-BAF6-4AE9-A916-950D33263448 (resized).jpegCF7C73AB-BAF6-4AE9-A916-950D33263448 (resized).jpeg
    That is a commercial fridge with a pellet smoker insert and for lower temp smoking it is truly incredible. Best bacon I ever had. And it was my first time. Can’t wait to see what this next season brings...

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rodent:

Dinner is served!
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    I like pecan better with this rub mix bs the apple/cherry combo. Still very good and worthy of a repeat

beautiful color

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Oh my a smoker thread. I raise a few (or several when the end times loom) pigs and found myself without a butcher and smoking facility last year. Thanks to YouTube I was able to turn this:
    [quoted image]
    Into this:
    [quoted image]
    That is a commercial fridge with a pellet smoker insert and for lower temp smoking it is truly incredible. Best bacon I ever had. And it was my first time. Can’t wait to see what this next season brings...

That's awesome.

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rodent:

Dinner is served!
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Still haven't had dinner ....damn

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Still haven't had dinner ....damn

stop in - there’s leftovers

#97 2 years ago

K on my way....
    You got the machines turned on ?

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Do you mean lump charcoal or just using wood chunks? How is the Komodo Joe? My coworker has one and loves it. It's basically the same as the BGE.

Sorry...its a bad typo.

I use wood in Kamado Vision. I havent used lump coal in it for a few years now. I love it. I can set it and forget it for long overnight smokes.

I do need to replace the gaskets though. They have gotten pretty old and brittle.

#99 2 years ago

Santa Maria tri-tip lazy Sunday.

2DB1FF7B-B9FA-4AD2-81F0-4927C049F72B (resized).jpeg2DB1FF7B-B9FA-4AD2-81F0-4927C049F72B (resized).jpeg38851199-17A1-4795-BC18-423FB15D0F17 (resized).jpeg38851199-17A1-4795-BC18-423FB15D0F17 (resized).jpegD844EEB5-40D3-4B2E-838D-409D2FDB4475 (resized).jpegD844EEB5-40D3-4B2E-838D-409D2FDB4475 (resized).jpeg
    #100 2 years ago

E014D69A-4174-4DFE-B85C-B6C9BA2638AD (resized).jpegE014D69A-4174-4DFE-B85C-B6C9BA2638AD (resized).jpeg
    245A28AA-FC3C-44BD-8C3C-68D8673B9C0E (resized).jpeg245A28AA-FC3C-44BD-8C3C-68D8673B9C0E (resized).jpeg

Tri tip tonite here too.

There are 2,952 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ya-smoking/page/2?hl=ltrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.