Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,000 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by vidguy
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9187 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9191 (resized).jpeg
    20240408_161419 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8961 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mojo (resized).jpg
    IMG_0102 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_0103 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_9610 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9608 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9606 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20240331_165319713 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240331_165318272.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240330_231423284 (resized).jpg
    20240324_204739 (resized).jpg
    There are 3,000 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 60.
    #1051 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Last year I F'd up the thaw time by not taking out the turkey soon enough and to save time I threw it in the brine while the brine was still warm. It worked really well thawing and not cooking the turkey. I dont' recommend though because it could have not worked.
    Edit: Also, I'm not afraid to counter thaw for awhile either, but it still takes forever.

If the turkey is sealed in plastic, just drop it in the kitchen sink in cool water. Thaws by the next day.

#1052 1 year ago
    Quoted from PlanetExpress:

Thanks for the tip, picked one up today! BTW: you have to buy online to see the $199, they have them marked $270 in the store.

Good tip!

I'd be pissed if I had to go out to the parking lot, order, then come back in to pick up .

So dumb that the manager could not simply match their own website

#1053 1 year ago

Today only - Thermopops are $12.60

https://www.thermoworks.com/thermopop/

Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 11-29-28 ThermoPop® (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-11-09 at 11-29-28 ThermoPop® (resized).png
    #1054 1 year ago

Sweet. Ordered a bunch for my smoking buddies... stocking stuffers for all!

#1055 1 year ago

https://www.yummly.com/thermometer?irclickid=0XMXfY304xyNR3lXany953ZtUkDSyUx-NxuERY0&irgwc=1

So, I’m in the market to experiment with wireless thermometers and wired systems as well.

Is Black Friday a good time to look? What are good “deals” for wireless options?

Recommendations welcomed… I have little over 2 weeks to research and will include suggestions here.

Oh, I’m looking for wired systems that can support 2-4 probes.

#1056 1 year ago

Can’t say enough good things about Fireboard. Base system comes with ambient temp probe and 2 food probes. Might be a bit pricier than some budget options, but it’s worth it.

https://www.fireboard.com/shop/fireboard-2/

#1057 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

https://www.yummly.com/thermometer?irclickid=0XMXfY304xyNR3lXany953ZtUkDSyUx-NxuERY0&irgwc=1
    So, I’m in the market to experiment with wireless thermometers and wired systems as well.
    Is Black Friday a good time to look? What are good “deals” for wireless options?
    Recommendations welcomed… I have little over 2 weeks to research and will include suggestions here.

I'm looking for a thermometer that I can leave in during cooking. not a wireless probe, just a thermo that's designed to operate at high temps. any suggestions?

#1058 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

HD usually clearances the Weber bluetooth 4 probe units for ~$25 just after Christmas. Be aware that it only includes 2 actual probes, so you've got to acquire the other two on your own.

The Weber app is really good, and **knows** that you need to pull certain meats 5* before it actually hits temp (and target temps for brisket, chicken, beef...). It graphs when you hit the Stall. So very good for a beginner

#1059 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Pricey, but I love my Signals: https://www.thermoworks.com/signals/

ThermoWorks will almost certainly have them on sale for Black Friday.

#1060 1 year ago
    Quoted from PlanetExpress:

Pricey, but I love my Signals: https://www.thermoworks.com/signals/
    ThermoWorks will almost certainly have them on sale for Black Friday.

That's a good one, you can buy a fan for it and it will allow you to control temperature too

#1061 1 year ago

Sweet... THanks for the suggestions for far. I'm keeping a list on the side with items to review.

All valid points.

#1062 1 year ago

Lowes is starting to clearance their stock of Grill Light , lighted grill utensils for $10

Looks kinda dumb, but if your grill does not have lighting, it might exactly be your ticket

20221110_210103 (resized).jpeg20221110_210103 (resized).jpeg
    #1063 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Lowes is starting to clearance their stock of Grill Light , lighted grill utensils for $10
    Looks kinda dumb, but if your grill does not have lighting, it might exactly be your ticket [quoted image]

I love headlamps for this sort of thing. Great for pinball repair too; so it's a two-fer.

#1064 1 year ago

Meat Slicer Question - I do alot of jerky on my smoker. I typically buy a cut of meat that is already sliced against the grain... forgetting what it is called, but it runs kinda steep in price like around $8.50/lb. I think i get get a good slicer (not those plastic ones) for around $250 used. What slicers to you all use?

#1065 1 year ago

Hobart or Berkel slicers you know you can always get parts for.

If you get an off brand, buy a spare blade immediately, before they stop making them.

#1066 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Hobart or Berkel slicers you know you can always get parts for.
    If you get an off brand, buy a spare blade immediately, before they stop making them.

It is a Globe, which is a pretty popular one.

#1067 1 year ago

Anybody ever use McCormick Smokehouse Maple for chicken wings?

Quoted from PinMonk:

We're not in that big of a town (100k) and our walmart had $5.6 million in inventory shrinkage (aka shoplifting/theft) last year. That's crazy to me.

Quoted from Goyomex:

Reviews are less than stellar, but $25 ain't too bad!

Quoted from StoneyCreek:

I'm looking for a thermometer that I can leave in during cooking. not a wireless probe, just a thermo that's designed to operate at high temps. any suggestions?

Look at Thermo Works Smoke

#1068 1 year ago

Smoked another Turkey tonight. This time tried the honey dijon glaze the last hour...

2022-11-11 (resized).jpg2022-11-11 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #1069 1 year ago

So I did a thing. A packer brisket, sous vide style.

Obviously I didn’t have a great setup for this. I used an old cooler as my water bath, which worked amazingly well. I was a bit worried about my sous vide wand’s ability to hold the temp since I didn’t have a lid that would seal. No issue there. There wasn’t a good way to attach the wand to the cooler, so I resorted to a web of zip ties.

First things first, the brisket was trimmed and split into the point, and 2 portions of the flat. Then all 3 pieces were vacuum sealed.

36 hours in the water bath at 155 degrees. Then moved to an ice bath for an hour. Then removed from the vacuum bags; the juice was saved and reduced for au jus. The meat then went into the smoker for 3 hours. At hour 2, I removed the point, diced it, put it in a Pyrex dish, covered it in bbq sauce and smoked that for an hour.

All in all it was very good. I’ve had it as good by doing it only in the smoker, but it’s hard to get consistency the traditional way. The sous vide brisket is fall apart tender. The burnt ends melt in your mouth. I’d call it a win.

Also, side benefit. I don’t have to babysit the sous vide part. Set it and forget it. I topped up the water at some point, but not sure I needed to.

0F3D4020-41C6-4551-8F35-771114E2C04E (resized).jpeg0F3D4020-41C6-4551-8F35-771114E2C04E (resized).jpeg6FED8967-0E1B-4BBE-BF7D-068CFAA42844 (resized).jpeg6FED8967-0E1B-4BBE-BF7D-068CFAA42844 (resized).jpegDB7CD831-1D5E-4468-99EB-4A99CE2D9FE4 (resized).jpegDB7CD831-1D5E-4468-99EB-4A99CE2D9FE4 (resized).jpeg23FA05D8-7522-4D0B-9996-5BB76C7694B9 (resized).jpeg23FA05D8-7522-4D0B-9996-5BB76C7694B9 (resized).jpeg45E4AD03-C0A4-4191-81C2-6D63247C1E44 (resized).jpeg45E4AD03-C0A4-4191-81C2-6D63247C1E44 (resized).jpeg60775EA1-A0EC-4FEE-9459-EDF5427992EC (resized).jpeg60775EA1-A0EC-4FEE-9459-EDF5427992EC (resized).jpeg8F21F42B-FB5C-434C-82C3-9DF56E57D17B (resized).jpeg8F21F42B-FB5C-434C-82C3-9DF56E57D17B (resized).jpeg
    #1070 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Obviously I didn’t have a great setup for this. I used an old cooler as my water bath, which worked amazingly well. I was a bit worried about my sous vide wand’s ability to hold the temp since I didn’t have a lid that would seal. No issue there. There wasn’t a good way to attach the wand to the cooler, so I resorted to a web of zip ties.
    First things first, the brisket was trimmed and split into the point, and 2 portions of the flat. Then all 3 pieces were vacuum sealed.
    36 hours in the water bath at 155 degrees. Then moved to an ice bath for an hour. Then removed from the vacuum bags; the juice was saved and reduced for au jus. The meat then went into the smoker for 3 hours. At hour 2, I removed the point, diced it, put it in a Pyrex dish, covered it in bbq sauce and smoked that for an hour.
    All in all it was very good. I’ve had it as good by doing it only in the smoker, but it’s hard to get consistency the traditional way. The sous vide brisket is fall apart tender. The burnt ends melt in your mouth. I’d call it a win.
    Also, side benefit. I don’t have to babysit the sous vide part. Set it and forget it. I topped up the water at some point, but not sure I needed to.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great. Sous vide is the only way I do brisket anymore (aside from the time I bought one too big for bags).

#1071 1 year ago

I love the creative use of zip ties. All you are missing is the duct tape

#1072 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I love the creative use of zip ties. All you are missing is the duct tape

Ha, I actually tried painters tape, but it fails when wet.

#1073 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

I used an old cooler as my water bath, which worked amazingly well. I was a bit worried about my sous vide wand’s ability to hold the temp since I didn’t have a lid that would seal. No issue there. There wasn’t a good way to attach the wand to the cooler, so I resorted to a web of zip ties.

An old Cooler is the best for sous vide.

The insulated sides and top means you use much less electricity to hold at a certain temperature.

I used a Hole Saw and simply cut a hole through the lid on a cooler where the hinges had long ago broken. Sprayed some Great Stuff around the hole to keep condensation from getting between the two plastic layers of the lid

#1074 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

An old Cooler is the best for sous vide.
    The insulated sides and top means you use much less electricity to hold at a certain temperature.
    I used a Hole Saw and simply cut a hole through the lid on a cooler where the hinges had long ago broken. Sprayed some Great Stuff around the hole to keep condensation from getting between the two plastic layers of the lid

I considered doing the same, but wanted to give it a trial run first.

The bracket on my sous vide wand isn’t adjustable (height) or removable. It was a gift, and I considered buying a nicer one - higher wattage and a removable bracket. But, I’m making it work with this one. Hard to justify paying for a better one. It may just take some mods to the cooler, which was falling apart anyhow.

#1075 1 year ago

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LN5JGJR

Inkbird 4 probe Bluetooth & Wifi temp reader $69 (clip coupon under price), reg $120

Wifi let's you monitor your grill worldwide. App graphs and does all the fancy stuff

4 probes lets you monitor light and dark meat

Brain is magnetic for easy monitoring

4.4 stars with 5k reviews

51EDWiyhPHS._AC_SY1000_.jpg51EDWiyhPHS._AC_SY1000_.jpg

#1077 1 year ago

It's on sale right now for $329 at a bunch of HDs

If you local store is not on sale, put in 90631 or 91344 as your zip code, change your store, and order from that store. Free shipping

weber hd (resized).jpgweber hd (resized).jpg

#1078 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks amazing. I will keep my eye out for a sous vide for Black Friday/

#1079 1 year ago
    Quoted from DavidCPA:

That looks amazing. I will keep my eye out for a sous vide for Black Friday/

I have an Inkbird and it holds it own over the expensive brands.

#1080 1 year ago

I found two unopened bags of Weber hickory chunks that are approximately 13 years old.
    Will they still smoke and add the flavor that’s expected from newer?

#1081 1 year ago

Decided to try cooking NY strip steaks in the smoker on super smoke for an hour, then searing on the gas grill for a couple minutes to finish. Ran them through the tenderizer stamp a few times, put some rub on them, and threw them in the smoker. Turned out really delicious. My son said they reminded him more of ribs with how tender the chew was, and I would agree.

Turned out so well, I'm doing more tonight, this time enough to have leftovers. Last night there were none.

#1082 1 year ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I found two unopened bags of Weber hickory chunks that are approximately 13 years old.
    Will they still smoke and add the flavor that’s expected from newer?

Wood is wood, so you should be just fine.

#1083 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Wood is wood, so you should be just fine.

That’s what I was thinking.But since this is for a Thanksgiving spatchcock turkey on the Weber kettle I went ahead and brought a small bag of Weber hickory chunks.
    I went on line and found a slew of differing opinions!

#1084 1 year ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

That’s what I was thinking.But since this is for a Thanksgiving spatchcock turkey on the Weber kettle I went ahead and brought a small bag of Weber hickory chunks.
    I went on line and found a slew of differing opinions!

What's your setup? I prefer chunks to chips as well. Even if you soak chips they burn up too fast.

I'm doing the Mad Max method again this year for my turkey on the BGE. I have to pickup up a few things tomorrow and I'll pick up applewood and cherry because I'm almost out. I like to mix the two for turkey.

Mad Max
    https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/mad-max-turkey-method/

#1085 1 year ago

20lb Fresh Sweet Pickle Ham for Thanksgiving. Going on the smoker at 9pm Wednesday night

#1086 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's on sale right now for $329 at a bunch of HDs
    If you local store is not on sale, put in 90631 or 91344 as your zip code, change your store, and order from that store. Free shipping
    [quoted image]

I see the lower price if shipped to that store, but if I ship it for free to my zip code it reverts back to the original price.

#1087 1 year ago
    Quoted from MaxIsDead:

20lb Fresh Sweet Pickle Ham for Thanksgiving. Going on the smoker at 9pm Wednesday night

Elaborate Please.

#1088 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

What's your setup? I prefer chunks to chips as well. Even if you soak chips they burn up too fast.
    I'm doing the Mad Max method again this year for my turkey on the BGE. I have to pickup up a few things tomorrow and I'll pick up applewood and cherry because I'm almost out. I like to mix the two for turkey.
    Mad Max
    https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/mad-max-turkey-method/

Just offset slow n sear on the kettle.Spatcock allows for a more even and quicker(about 2 hours).The nice thing is the house stays cooler and the turkey is never dry!

IMG_2543 (resized).PNGIMG_2543 (resized).PNG
    #1089 1 year ago

A lot of people like the spatchcock. It definitely gets it done quicker.

#1090 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Quoted from romulusx:

Just offset slow n sear on the kettle.Spatcock allows for a more even and quicker(about 2 hours).The nice thing is the house stays cooler and the turkey is never dry![quoted image]

This!!!

Ever since I’ve learned how to smoke a turkey, the turkey breasts are never dry!!!
    Sure, I need to dial in how I cook in the oven, but nah.

Smoking is better in my opinion.

#1091 1 year ago
    Quoted from MaxIsDead:

That sounds Amazing!!

Am I a pickle fan?? Hell yeah! I wished Jack Links made a bigger bag of this stuff. It smells like pickles, and has the notes of pickles when you eat it.

Is that how yours will turn out?

96F2DB76-57F9-423B-A756-8CBE76E2A00C (resized).jpeg96F2DB76-57F9-423B-A756-8CBE76E2A00C (resized).jpeg
    #1092 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Decided to try cooking NY strip steaks in the smoker on super smoke for an hour, then searing on the gas grill for a couple minutes to finish. Ran them through the tenderizer stamp a few times, put some rub on them, and threw them in the smoker. Turned out really delicious. My son said they reminded him more of ribs with how tender the chew was, and I would agree.
    Turned out so well, I'm doing more tonight, this time enough to have leftovers. Last night there were none.

I've never known anyone to use a tenderizer. Do you think it really buys you anything over just preparing it well?

I like my steaks on the rare side of medium rare and have always avoided those because of the contamination it introduces... I guess if you cook it to done then it wouldn't matter...

Jaz

#1093 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gotemwill:

I see the lower price if shipped to that store, but if I ship it for free to my zip code it reverts back to the original price.

Clear your HD browser cookies

go to HD.com don't log in, you are going to check out as guest

Choose that zip code as your store

put grill in cart

choose free shipping to home

Send grill to your house, not to store

if you can't get out of the loop, call the CS number, tell them you are in the CA store and they are out of stock and the manager said you can order online and have it shipped to home free. Play dumb, get it done

(or if your local ACE has it in stock, have them price match the HD website. ACE delivers it and assembles it for free, if you like)

#1094 1 year ago

At my cousins house sharing his setup. He built this offset smoker himself.

Todays menu is brisket with appetizer of beef ribs (to be smoked later).

Wish I had access to wood as easily as him. He owns 20 acres of almond orchard. “Free” wood when wind knocks his trees over.

49DF8C00-5DC7-4EA3-ADD8-2C1681A671E0 (resized).jpeg49DF8C00-5DC7-4EA3-ADD8-2C1681A671E0 (resized).jpeg9C3B3E47-6286-4CE7-8C05-6B22E6BD5D65 (resized).jpeg9C3B3E47-6286-4CE7-8C05-6B22E6BD5D65 (resized).jpegC4F39686-DA73-4C85-8826-B04B4D8C0413 (resized).jpegC4F39686-DA73-4C85-8826-B04B4D8C0413 (resized).jpeg
    #1095 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

I've never known anyone to use a tenderizer. Do you think it really buys you anything over just preparing it well?
    I like my steaks on the rare side of medium rare and have always avoided those because of the contamination it introduces... I guess if you cook it to done then it wouldn't matter...
    Jaz

We go for medium-rare and the tenderizer absolutely makes the steak more tender. I never used one until I saw some show about a steakhouse where they had a machine that did their steaks. Thought I'd give it a try, and it was a hit. Definitely makes the chew softer. I don't think I would do it on a filet mignon since that already has a great chew, but on a NY strip I thought I was making pretty tender medium-rare steak, but the tenderized version was next-level.

The only thing that's a drag is it's a bit of a pain to clean since there are all those tiny blades. One of the tenderizers we got came with a little brush to help with the cleaning. Now we just throw it in the dishwasher. If it ruins it eventually, it's pretty cheap to replace.

These are the two we have:
    The smaller one:
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001347JK6

The bigger one that came with the little brush:
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09Z6HJVLJ

Both are springloaded. You press down into the meat and they pop back up.

#1096 1 year ago

Turkey day is almost here. Going to smoke my first turkey. Any pointers or advice? I was just going to season it and smoke it at 250 degrees for as long as it takes to teach the internal temp. Happy Thanksgiving!

#1097 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Turkey day is almost here. Going to smoke my first turkey. Any pointers or advice? I was just going to season it and smoke it at 250 degrees for as long as it takes to teach the internal temp. Happy Thanksgiving!

The last one we did my daughter brined for 12 hours then I spatchcocked it and put it on the grill. Definitely helped with the flavor and juiciness.

Also, if anyone has a Costco nearby that has any Diestel Farms turkeys left after thanksgiving, do yourself a favor and pick one up. They're pretty expensive, but after thanksgiving they are usually 30-50% off IF there are any left. It is the most delicious, trouble-free turkey you will ever have. We roast them in the oven and they are amazing.

#1098 1 year ago

Would prefer not to use the wet brine method. Will dry brine first.

#1099 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:Would prefer not to use the brine method.

Most of them are already brined for you…

#1100 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I'm attempting my first turkey smoke and going to more or less follow this which does not use brining:

My only real question is what is a good wood for turkey? I saw one person recommended not using hickory/oak so that it gets a lighter color, but I want a strong smoke flavor. I have cherry, apple, hickory, and mesquite on hand.

There are 3,000 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ya-smoking/page/22 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.