Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,952 posts
  • 170 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Viggin900
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240323_181015 (resized).jpg
    20240318_113845 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_8081130_0 (resized).jpg
    20240317_093802 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3010 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20240316_150357.jpg
    IMG_20240316_142456.jpg
    20240310_123751 (resized).jpg
    20240309_200629 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8528 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8526 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8527 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    81VM8QM5ruL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240227_132144.jpg
    IMG_2959 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,952 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 60.
    #951 1 year ago

I went ahead and bought a smoke x2, I have a pen based thermometer but looking for something for the longer cooks to remind me where I am at.

#952 1 year ago

I've had luck with cheap Amazon quick read probes. No need to spend a hundred bucks.

#953 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I've had luck with cheap Amazon quick read probes. No need to spend a hundred bucks.

You can get the thermapens for less than a hundred bucks when they have closeouts on various colors/models or black friday, etc. They also have factory seconds (dinged boxes, etc) with full warranty that sell for around $75 every now and again.

#954 1 year ago

This was in a Kentucky magazine I get. I dare someone on here to make this and report back. I can't imagine squirrel tasting good, they had a very strange gamey smell when we hunted them as kids.

20221005_075840 (resized).jpg20221005_075840 (resized).jpg

#955 1 year ago

The first temp probe I bought was the original ThermaQ. It was very reliable but basically could only scream at you from wherever your grill is (so you need to be within ear shot). I would say that from my back patio which is right next to my master bedroom, it would indeed wake me up if it went off but I have a glass man door right there. For my Komodo, I bought a Flame Boss fan which came with Wi-Fi connectivity as well and that was a godsend. Not only because It controls the temp within 1-2 degrees at all times (after some slight modifications) but it introduced me to Wi-fi enabled visibility/controls as well. I could actually run to the store to pick up last minute items or things that I might need and still see/control my cook. The other great thing is it was connected to my phone and I could set my phone to DND for seeping but give that app a bypass to wake me up for an alert.

When I picked up my recent Weber smoker, it fortunately came with wi-fi as well. While I do like that it has 4 probes, I really like the Flame Boss interface and cook history function better. It tracks your cooks with a time/temp graph and makes it really easy to see how similar cooks have trended before to get a good gauge on ETA's for your current cook. The Weber app is more simplistic and is really just about your current cook and the thresholds that you set. I also have a propane Weber Genesis that has the wi-fi upgrade as an option but haven't felt the need to add that to it yet as I don't really do any slower cooks on it. My Thermapen is plenty for that.

Flame_Boss (resized).jpegFlame_Boss (resized).jpeg
    #956 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I bought a Flame Boss fan which came with Wi-Fi connectivity as well and that was a godsend.

Yep, I bought the ThermoWorks Signals with the fan last year for my Kamado Joe and love it. It’s Wi-Fi and will make the same graphs. I love how it brings the grill to temp without having to do anything and can watch it on my phone via Wi-Fi.
    I’ve heard from a few people “oh you don’t need that” but guess what I’ve got it and it’s fricken awesome!
    This graph was last nights barbecue with green being grill temp, yellow being chicken temp, and red being temperature of the ribs. The dips in temperature in the green is when I open the lid to the grill To put the meat on check it or take it off.

FF0E97B9-DAD3-4B51-91DE-776E3D6C5222 (resized).jpegFF0E97B9-DAD3-4B51-91DE-776E3D6C5222 (resized).jpeg

#957 1 year ago

Traeger grill question here for anyone who owns one. I am thinking about getting one this weekend? I have a big green egg for long smokes but need a new grill for burgers,steaks and hot dogs etc that cook in short times.
    Would a traeger grill be good for this?
    1. They say it does and heats up fast, just wondering how it is as a grill vs using it as a smoker?
    2. Are traeger pellets the best to use or another brand? Does it matter?
    3. Does it use a lot of electricity? What are the downsides if there are any?
    So far my only critisim is it doesn't have a stove burner on the side which is nice to have on occasion?
    Thanks!

#958 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Traeger grill question here for anyone who owns one. I am thinking about getting one this weekend? I have a big green egg for long smokes but need a new grill for burgers,steaks and hot dogs etc that cook in short times.
    1. They say it does and heats up fast, just wondering how it is as a grill vs using it as a smoker?
    So far my only critisim is it doesn't have a stove burner on the side which is nice to have on occasion?
    Thanks!

I just used my Weber Smokefire EPX6 to grill some burgers and dogs and my wife said that she loved the flavor. It's a different experience than a propane or charcoal for sure. Sort of like baking it in a smoky oven. The food will look a little different from the smoke and will have less of the flame searing markings.

I've heard that Treager pellets don't actually use hardwood but instead use flavored oils to net the wood flavor. I've used the Weber pellets which worked great, virtually no dust. I also just picked up a 40lb bag from Costco for $13 that I'm looking forward to trying out but a coworker said it's solid stuff.

Can't help you on the electricity. I do have a Kill-A-watt meter but I've never bothered to test it out. I'm sure they are rated somewhere.

#959 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Traeger grill question here for anyone who owns one. I am thinking about getting one this weekend? I have a big green egg for long smokes but need a new grill for burgers,steaks and hot dogs etc that cook in short times

I’ve been using Traeger for quite a while now I’m on my second one a Timberline 850 and I bought a Kamado Joe big Joe 3 last year.
    Traegers are easy to use but will not sear like a charcoal grill and I by far prefer to cook steaks and burgers on the Kamado even if reverse searing steak. When I just want to cook with high heat with charcoal I use a chimney starter to get a lot of coal burning at once dump it in and add more on top.
    The flavor of pellets is milder as well. I’ll use the Traeger because it’s quicker to get going or in the winter when freezing outside Because I’m scared to shock the ceramic and crack the egg.
    Unless I’m making jerky I always prefer to cook on the egg if I have extra bit of time. The Traeger is more like cooking in the oven because you can just turn it on and off but I prefer the flavor of charcoal more.

#960 1 year ago

Thanks,all good stuff! The salesman showed me a picture of his cook and it had sear marks? I worry about steaks.
    Also do you get any of the wood flavor just by cooking burgers and hot dogs for 10 minutes?
    I also have a griddle that goes on top of the grates, can I use that? Seems like it needs burners below it for it work well but maybe the traeger would?

#961 1 year ago

You will get some sear marks from the greats but it’s not like cooking over actual fire. The model I have goes to 500°F and I can lower the grates down to help it sear a little bit better, it’s ok.
    The pellet grill is just so easy to use for start up and shut down ,that’s what’s great about it. I’ve been using Knotty Wood barbecue co. pellets and enjoying them, both almond and plum flavor. Home Depot ships them with free shipping.

Edit: PinMonk is right my Traeger goes only to500F as well, not 550.

#962 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Thanks,all good stuff! The salesman showed me a picture of his cook and it had sear marks? I worry about steaks.
    Also do you get any of the wood flavor just by cooking burgers and hot dogs for 10 minutes?
    I also have a griddle that goes on top of the grates, can I use that? Seems like it needs burners below it for it work well but maybe the traeger would?

Which Traeger you get affects its max temp. If it can't get over 450F the sear is pretty non-existent. The Ironwood and Timberline are the only models that can get to 500F, which can give you a sort-of sear. We have a Weber Genesis that I use for grilling. I use the Traeger Ironwood just for smoking.

Also, the Traeger pellets are no good. They are not actual hardwood they say on the bag, but some kind of base hardwood with oils added to give the flavor of the hardwood named on the bag. We use the Knotty Wood pellets. I wish they had more kinds (Almond and Plum are it), but what they have is very good.

Also, if you get a Traeger, you want the optional fold-down shelf attachment that goes on the front. It should be standard equipment.

#963 1 year ago

Thanks for the help,I'm really glad I asked. A couple of turn offs was the smokey oven flavor and not getting over 500 which I sort of knew. I'm getting the Victory 3 burner from BBQ guys. I like steaks and the infered side burner sounds great. Also I enjoy rotisserie and no matter what the Traegrr guy says about not needing it in convection, the juices rolling around on the meat are important.

#964 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Thanks!

I have BGEs, but when doing quick burgers and dogs I just use my gasser. For steaks I pull out my weed burner for a real quick sear.

Any reason you want a pellet smoker for grilling? Usually people use them like outdoor ovens. Set the low and slow temp and forget it.

#965 1 year ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086Z6PDFH

The Bear Mountain pellets that everyone is always talking about, are on sale today for $15 / 40lb (remember to click the little 50% off coupon box)

13K reviews give them 4.6 stars....Maple, Hickory, Cherry & Oak is the blend

I'm going to try them out, for the price of Pitboss pellets (their gourmet blend is Maple, Hickory, & Cherry).
    71Qc7ECSX9L._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg71Qc7ECSX9L._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg

#966 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

amazon.com link »
    The Bear Mountain pellets that everyone is always talking about, are on sale today for $15 / 40lb (remember to click the little 50% off coupon box)
    13K reviews give them 4.6 stars....Maple, Hickory, Cherry & Oak is the blend
    I'm going to try them out, for the price of Pitboss pellets (their completion blend is Maple, Hickory, & Cherry).
    [quoted image]

I originally thought these burned too quickly in my pellet smoker, but after buying a new smoker it might have been the unit.

At this price i'll give it more one shot.

#967 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

I originally thought these burned too quickly in my pellet smoker, but after buying a new smoker it might have been the unit.
    At this price i'll give it more one shot.

You'll probably get them free because the driver will tear the bag to shreds and it will be all over your front porch.

My neighbor used to have this happen every time they got a 50 lb of popcorn from Amazon.

[And popcorn is in a much heavier duty bag than any pellets I've ever bought....]

Screenshot 2022-10-12 at 12-15-52 Amazon.com Paragon - Manufactured Fun Paragon Bulk Bag Yellow Corn 50-Pound Grocery & Gourmet Screenshot 2022-10-12 at 12-15-52 Amazon.com Paragon - Manufactured Fun Paragon Bulk Bag Yellow Corn 50-Pound Grocery & Gourmet

#968 1 year ago

Dansons makes the Kirkland pellets for costco. In store they are only $12.99 and they've been working pretty well. I have a bunch of the bags of Weber pellets and they are great but at $1/lb I'll stick with the Kirkland at $.33/lb. I bought a bag a Traeger pallets a while back but they had too many broken/misshapen pieces and a lot of dust in the bag.

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-premium-blend-bbq-hardwood-pellets%2c-40-lb.product.100980516.html

#969 1 year ago

It sure looks like the Kirkland pellet is the same packaging as the Pitboss/Danson pellets. If the bag is super thin and your fingers go right through it, you know....but they are $18 for 40 lbs in my area.

Cheapest mixed hardwood pellet is still Menards @ $5.33 for 40 lbs

#970 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Are traeger pellets the best to use or another brand? Does it matter?

NEVER buy Traeger pellets. 3x the cost of any other brand, and the are only **flavored** with wood oils rather than being 100% apple, hickory or whatever. Little baby 20 lbs bags too.

Quoted from Viggin900:

Does it use a lot of electricity? What are the downsides if there are any?

Very little electricity. Just a small fan and an auger that occasionally activates.

Quoted from Viggin900:

It's kinda a seldom used feature for most people. If you use it to keep sauce or beans warm (like most people do), you could do the same with a crock pot

Quoted from Viggin900:

They say it does and heats up fast, just wondering how it is as a grill vs using it as a smoker?

Fast. Probably 15 minutes tops.

-
    A few pellet grills (PB Navigator, Cuisinart) have a sear plate that gets crazy hot, localized right over the firepot. If this is important to you, seek them out.

-

Just remember that Treager, Rec-tec, Cuisinart, Mountain, Camp Chef, Pitboss, Expert, are all made made in the same factory in China.

That is why so many of the parts fit any of them.

A USA pellet grill will run you at least $2500 to your door, don't be fooled.

#971 1 year ago

Oh yeah, never buy a pellet grill that does not have a trap door to dump the ash out of the underneath of the firepot.

Having to get a vacuum out, to suck ash is bull shlt and terrible design.

#972 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It sure looks like the Kirkland pellet is the same packaging as the Pitboss/Danson pellets. If the bag is super thin and your fingers go right through it, you know....but they are $18 for 40 lbs in my area.
    Cheapest mixed hardwood pellet is still Menards @ $5.33 for 40 lbs

No need to guess, I can tell you with certainty that they are. They are based here in AZ and I know someone who works there.

#973 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Very little electricity. Just a small fan and an auger that occasionally activates

The largest draw for electricity on mine would be the glow plug.

#974 1 year ago

Saturday was Bbq slapdown of 2 rubs. First round, Meat Church vs Corky's. The winner was Meat Church, it flavored the meat and added spice that compliments the smoke. Corky's was fine as a base for ribs and compliments layering of sauces but does not stand out on its own. If you like saucy messy ribs go with that despite being a memphis dry rub.

20221008_131754 (resized).jpg20221008_131754 (resized).jpg20221008_184030 (resized).jpg20221008_184030 (resized).jpg

#975 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

The largest draw for electricity on mine would be the glow plug.

Yeah, but that is only on for the first minute. The fire burns by itself after ignition.

In fact, if your igniter burns out, you can light the fire pot manually (like with a propane torch), and then plug in the grill about a minute latter. It will run just fine until you turn it off.

If you don't get any smoke after a few minutes, you look, and the firepot is filled solid with pellets - you can be 99% sure the problem is with the hotrod/glowrod/ignighter.

Traeger-Firepot-Full-Of-Pellets-1977396617 (resized).jpgTraeger-Firepot-Full-Of-Pellets-1977396617 (resized).jpg

Looks like were lighting this manually, guys!

#976 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Saturday was Bbq slapdown of 2 rubs. First round, Meat Church vs Corky's. The winner was Meat Church, it flavored the meat and added spice that compliments the smoke. Corky's was fine as a base for ribs and compliments layering of sauces but does not stand out on its own. If you like saucy messy ribs go with that despite being a memphis dry rub.

Interesting!

What are the ingredients of each?

#977 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Interesting!
    What are the ingredients of each?

Didn't you cover this , lol....touch of sarcasm.

#978 1 year ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Didn't you cover this , lol....touch of sarcasm.

lol, I have not see corky's

Wondered what was in it that made it so different

#979 1 year ago

I smoked two beef rump roasts Tuesday after work. I couldn't get them on before 6pm and needed to pull by midnight to go to bed. I could have left them go on the BGE, but I didn't want to deal with it in the morning before work. I got out the croc pot and put the two 3.5 roasts in it and put them on low overnight. It was the perfect solution because at that point all I needed was low and slow BTUs because I had them out long enough to pick up max smoke. The croc pot was kind of like a wrap as it was a closed environment and let the juices remain with the meat. The bark was maintained as well. I'm going to do that again for sure.

Sorry no pics.

#980 1 year ago

No shame in that game!

I'll start briskets and other large cuts/butts on the Vid approved BBE for the first few hours to get smoke and bark, plop it in a disposable steamer tray with a lid, and then let it ride the next 6-12 hours in the oven at 225. Easy peasy, saves fuel/charcoal, much easier to probe for tenderness, and the house smells awesome!

#981 1 year ago

Target has 20lb bags of Pit Boss pellets on clearance for $4.99, dunno if it's regional or nationwide, but worth checking. It was with the BBQ, planting/gardening stuff clearance over by bedding/sheets in our store and NOT in the normal place, so you might have to walk the store.

#982 1 year ago

Alrighty, seems I need help knowing more about wood pellets. How the hell can I know the pellets I buy are legit actual all wood based flavor that has 0 additives/filler and oil coated (from Traegar)??

I’m new to wood pellets as I’ve used Bear Mountain, Traegar, and some other one my friend told me.

Want to know what to look out for in the future.

#983 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Alrighty, seems I need help knowing more about wood pellets. How the hell can I know the pellets I buy are legit actual all wood based flavor that has 0 additives/filler and oil coated (from Traegar)??
    Want to know what to look out for in the future.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ya-smoking/page/8#post-6636275

#984 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Target has 20lb bags of Pit Boss pellets on clearance for $4.99, dunno if it's regional or nationwide, but worth checking. It was with the BBQ, planting/gardening stuff clearance and NOT in the normal place, so you might have to walk the store.

Got the rest that they had at my local Target. They're actually clearancing out a bunch of smaller Weber stuff as well including the cloth gloves and the bags of wood chips.

Ot but while you're there, see if they have the Galaxy Buds Pro for $59.99 if you need them. Looking for a pair for my daughter for Christmas but no luck yet. Heck while you're at it, if your store still has the red Theragun mini, you should be able to get that for dirt cheap too.

20221014_084138 (resized).jpg20221014_084138 (resized).jpg
    #986 1 year ago

Pitboss is on left, Bear mountain on right (both competitive blend)

IMG_20221014_130628.jpgIMG_20221014_130628.jpg

Bear mountain smells much "oakier" that's for sure.

Pitboss has much longer pellets on average.

I'll do a few cooks, and see how it does

-

Amazon actually put each bag in it's own box, not scattered all over my porch!

#987 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Target has 20lb bags of Pit Boss pellets on clearance for $4.99, dunno if it's regional or nationwide, but worth checking. It was with the BBQ, planting/gardening stuff clearance and NOT in the normal place, so you might have to walk the store.

My neighbor got me 11 bags.

Thanks for the tip!

#988 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

My neighbor got me 11 bags.
    Thanks for the tip!

It's a great deal. Glad you were able to take advantage of it.

If anyone's still looking to find stores in their area, here's the brickseek link. Enter the zip and scroll down to see the stores that have stock. Ignore the pricing, it will likely be the clearance $4.99 price in-store. Also if the shelf price still is not $4.99, scan it, because it's probably marked down in the store system and just not tagged yet.

https://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker/?sku=009-06-1576

#989 1 year ago

You can't make this stuff up....

Went to a funeral today, and as you walk in the entrance they had a big signs showing you products they will sell you for your deceased.

The funniest product had to be a jar of barbecue sauce where they print the deceased's name on it.

So, not Uncle Bill's personal BBQ sauce recipe, but some mystery sauce, with a laser printed label.

In such bad taste:

IMG_20221014_195829.jpgIMG_20221014_195829.jpg
    #990 1 year ago

Started today smoking some Mac n cheese again and I’m not gonna crank the heat up to 400 next time. It really dries out the juice in this guy. Yeah, I like mine wet. Hahaha.

I should have know, but I wanted to follow recipe first run and adjust next one.

56D33663-5F4B-4B5F-A9BD-AA406DC9BB9B (resized).jpeg56D33663-5F4B-4B5F-A9BD-AA406DC9BB9B (resized).jpeg5A5CEDBC-1289-4651-A532-19305FA84C28 (resized).jpeg5A5CEDBC-1289-4651-A532-19305FA84C28 (resized).jpeg
    #991 1 year ago

Then.. for the adults I made a Tri-Tip. FYI.. wife wanted fat left on, so I butchered some off. If it was up to me I’d take 95% of it off.

Wet Rub Santa Maria style with an Asian twist.

Reverse Sear and boom! Next time if I do a wet rub, seems I need to slow the cook even further to improve smoke ring…. Live and learn.

2101056E-6B1C-44C3-A01C-71FCE167BF5E (resized).jpeg2101056E-6B1C-44C3-A01C-71FCE167BF5E (resized).jpegA2C77C6E-3421-4401-8AD2-8E5BC622815B (resized).jpegA2C77C6E-3421-4401-8AD2-8E5BC622815B (resized).jpegD27F7B2C-D227-4C91-BE0B-EEEE06DF1DE6 (resized).jpegD27F7B2C-D227-4C91-BE0B-EEEE06DF1DE6 (resized).jpegFB01D94D-6200-4F8C-A1DB-0C10038B239D (resized).jpegFB01D94D-6200-4F8C-A1DB-0C10038B239D (resized).jpeg
    #992 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You can't make this stuff up....
    Went to a funeral today, and as you walk in the entrance they had a big signs showing you products they will sell you for your deceased.
    The funniest product had to be a jar of barbecue sauce where they print the deceased's name on it.
    So, not Uncle Bill's personal BBQ sauce recipe, but some mystery sauce, with a laser printed label.
    In such bad taste:[quoted image]

Oh man, I went to a funeral yesterday for my mother in law, I can't believe society has stooped that low. Next there will be Kleenex boxes with there picture on it for you to buy.

#993 1 year ago

How about micro urns that have the deceased name on them and everybody gets a little take-home ash?

#994 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

How about micro urns that have the deceased name on them and everybody gets a little take-home ash?

I can't believe I am reading this stuff. Seriously? Totally agree its all bad taste. Not only are you grieving, already poured $$$ into this family gathering to remember a loved one, open your pocket books for a momento!!!

Ugh.... Makes me want to have my wife cremate my body.

#995 1 year ago

This is about as close we have to a cooking thread. Accidently dropped my paring knife. At least it didn't hit my bare foot. Oh well, not all my knives need to be lookers; now this has the hocky mouth look.

IMG_20221016_124412073 (resized).jpgIMG_20221016_124412073 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20221016_124501051 (resized).jpgIMG_20221016_124501051 (resized).jpg

#996 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

This is about as close we have to a cooking thread. Accidently dropped my paring knife. At least it didn't hit my bare foot. Oh well, not all my knives need to be lookers; now this has the hocky mouth look.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Any knife sharpener guy can reshape that tip. It happens all the time.

Even any of your Tormek owning woodworker friends can do it for you

Ceramic-Knife-tip-reprofile-2586981165 (resized).jpgCeramic-Knife-tip-reprofile-2586981165 (resized).jpg
    #997 1 year ago

Any of you guys have it deal with an impacted augur? Probably got moisture in it and sat for a while. Can't figure out how to get it apart to get it cleaned out.

#998 1 year ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Any of you guys have it deal with an impacted augur? Probably got moisture in it and sat for a while. Can't figure out how to get it apart to get it cleaned out.

Easy fix

What grill do you have?

#999 1 year ago

There is a soft metal pin that couples the motor shaft to the auger

Remove that pin, then tap the auger out of the feed tube

#1000 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Easy fix
    What grill do you have?

Myron Mixon pittmaster Q3

Thanks, I'll have to see if I can find that pin.

There are 2,952 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ya-smoking/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.