Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,023 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 59 minutes ago by zermeno68
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 8.53.15 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9187 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9191 (resized).jpeg
    20240408_161419 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8961 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mojo (resized).jpg
    IMG_0102 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_0103 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_9610 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9608 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9606 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20240331_165319713 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240331_165318272.MP (resized).jpg
    There are 3,023 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 61.
    #851 1 year ago

teriyaki wings with ginger are great.

#852 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

More clearance at Lowes
    22" KETTLE JOE $199
    [quoted image]

I just thought this was kinda hilarious. Their marketing pics for the Kettle Joe. When I get flames like that I'm running for the fire extinguisher.

kjoe (resized).PNGkjoe (resized).PNG

#853 1 year ago

Who's getting ready for labor day?

20220903_224343.jpg20220903_224343.jpg
    #854 1 year ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Who's getting ready for labor day?
    [quoted image]

Every day is labor day for someone...

labor (resized).jpglabor (resized).jpg
    #855 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Very time consuming to make to the point your willing to pay the next time you crave it.
    Glad you got some Asian wings. Asian culture produces some interesting flavors to common dishes.

Pork Char Siu is my favorite recipe found in 2022. Just love it and all other Asian dishes.

#856 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I just thought this was kinda hilarious. Their marketing pics for the Kettle Joe. When I get flames like that I'm running for the fire extinguisher.
    [quoted image]

You know that no one on the marketing team has ever used a grill in their lives

#857 1 year ago

Ribs on the smoker and some smoked jalapeño, tomato and onion cream cheese dip for later. Will do some grilled corn and other veggies later as well. Its going to be a good day of food, drinks, pinball, arcades and D&D!

AB53D468-F481-467D-9D70-3E07C9F06F8B (resized).jpegAB53D468-F481-467D-9D70-3E07C9F06F8B (resized).jpegD60F29B6-0245-4D0B-A230-F90E78D2211F (resized).jpegD60F29B6-0245-4D0B-A230-F90E78D2211F (resized).jpeg
    #858 1 year ago

I smoked poor man’s burnt ends for the first time yesterday, not bad for the first try.

#859 1 year ago

Mmmm… this induces food comas.

17173A6F-6226-4657-B815-5C0AD78FE2B5 (resized).jpeg17173A6F-6226-4657-B815-5C0AD78FE2B5 (resized).jpeg
    #860 1 year ago

I wanted to do something different with pork butt and was wanting someing Asian. Scanning recipes this one from epicuious caught my eye, mainly because I had all the ingrediants on hand. It was very good.

YIELD8-16
    INGREDIENTS

6-8lb. Pork shoulder (Boston Butt)
    Rub:
    4tbsp. paprika
    2tbsp. kosher salt
    4tsp. coriander
    4tsp. chinese five spice blend
    2tsp. ground ginger
    1/2tsp. allspice
    2tsp. cumin
    1/2tsp. cayenne
    Marinade:
    1/2cup black glutinous rice wine
    1/2cup hoisin sauce
    1/4cup soy sauce
    3 cloves minced garlic
    1tbsp. minced ginger
    2tbsp. honey
    Blend until smooth.
    Finishing sauce:
    1cup BBQ sauce (tomato paste, sugar vinegar, worchestershire sauce)
    1/4cup hoisin sauce
    2tbsp. molasses
    PREPARATION

Inject pork with marinade. Let set over night covered in fridge. Roast/smoke pork 8-10 hrs. until tender, keep grill at 220-225F. Use apple wood chips for smoking if possible. When done, internal temp. 160F. let rest 1/2hr. Shred meat with large fork. Place meat in Crockpot on low. Add finishing sauce, mix well. Serve when heated as sandwiches or alone with slaw.

#861 1 year ago

160 seems very low. I would at least go to 185.

Did this one yesterday to 203 and came out so good I forgot to take pictures of the finished meat.

68D57689-4DD3-44F3-B9B4-50D35D5A8B2C (resized).jpeg68D57689-4DD3-44F3-B9B4-50D35D5A8B2C (resized).jpegCEF7D859-C0EE-4FA7-9864-F795225BDC8C (resized).jpegCEF7D859-C0EE-4FA7-9864-F795225BDC8C (resized).jpeg
    #862 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_spidey:

Did this one yesterday to 203 and came out so good I forgot to take pictures of the finished meat.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

That’s a good looking butt right there.

#863 1 year ago

Did some brisket. Tried to eat it right off the cutting board. Had to be careful not to get my sweet LoserKid_Pinball hat all greasy.

0ACFE56A-91B7-4926-9227-902661DB28A7 (resized).jpeg0ACFE56A-91B7-4926-9227-902661DB28A7 (resized).jpegB112C87A-EC47-4ACC-BC66-6129F5B9A86E (resized).jpegB112C87A-EC47-4ACC-BC66-6129F5B9A86E (resized).jpeg
    #864 1 year ago

Made some Mac n cheese with green chilis inside. Did something different this time. Recipe called for panko but I thought hmmm pork rinds could work as panko. Well it was a game changer! Only way I’ll be making it going forward

440A9238-D4E0-4AF4-AB04-310B5721CD5B (resized).jpeg440A9238-D4E0-4AF4-AB04-310B5721CD5B (resized).jpeg5A7CCE45-D817-40A6-80D2-74313C635D78 (resized).jpeg5A7CCE45-D817-40A6-80D2-74313C635D78 (resized).jpeg
    #865 1 year ago

I want to try mac'n cheese. Any recommendations on a great recipe?

#866 1 year ago

The recipe I posted above was the first time I ever used a temp probe when cooking ribs, I usually just shoot for about 5ish hrs on the smoker at 225-230 and pay attention to how they bend. My brother-in-law Smoked ribs yesterday for labor day and pulled them off the smoker at 180 because he likes "a bit of pull". The ribs had pull alright, they were tough,very chewy and really clung to the bone. definitely didn't leave a clean bite like how mine do when I make them. Just curious for those who temp there ribs what temp you usually shoot for?

#867 1 year ago
    Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

Just curious for those who temp there ribs what temp you usually shoot for?

195*F is probably the top temp .

Any hotter and they might fall apart (like when I fall asleep).

Screenshot 2022-09-06 at 20-03-59 Ribs Internal Temperature and Technique Guide for Cooking (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-09-06 at 20-03-59 Ribs Internal Temperature and Technique Guide for Cooking (resized).png
    #868 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

195*F is probably the top temp .
    Any hotter and they might fall apart (like when I fall asleep).
    [quoted image]

That's about what I was thinking. the ribs I last did based off the video clip I posted were cooked til 204. They were good, not quite fall off the bone but just a bit too tender for my taste.

#869 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_spidey:

It's definitely too low, not my recipe and I can't edit the post. I posted for ingredient list.

I didn't do the finishing sauce either. After pulling the pork I like to hit it with more rub

#870 1 year ago
    Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

Just curious for those who temp there ribs what temp you usually shoot for?

I never cook to temp when smoking, especially ribs. Go by feel.

For ribs grab the rack with tongs and if it bends almost to 90 degrees, but doesn't rip you are good. Or you can do toothpick test like pork and brisket. A toothpick show go in like butter.

The animal drives the cook and final temp will vary.

#871 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Made some Mac n cheese with green chilis inside. Did something different this time. Recipe called for panko but I thought hmmm pork rinds could work as panko. Well it was a game changer! Only way I’ll be making it going forward

Good idea - I use crushed goldfish crackers - extra cheesy

#872 1 year ago

I was smoking wings and had some extra room on the grill so I smoked SPAM. It was fine, tasted like a big red smokey hot dog on a bun. I can see some potential though with using rubs and sauce. Hey the way things are looking we all might be living off this stuff so be prepared.
    There could be spam bbq, spam sausage and sage spam, buffalo sauce with spam, spam mesquite smoked with jalapeno and spam, cheesy cheddar spam, cajun spam with hot sauce, spam egg sausage and spam? Spam spam baked beans and spam!

20220905_125146 (resized).jpg20220905_125146 (resized).jpg

#873 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

I was smoking wings and had some extra room on the grill so I smoked SPAM. It was fine, tasted like a big red smokey hot dog on a bun. I can see some potential though with using rubs and sauce. Hey the way things are looking we all might be living off this stuff so be prepared.
    There could be spam bbq, spam sausage and sage spam, buffalo sauce with spam, spam mesquite smoked with jalapeno and spam, cheesy cheddar spam, cajun spam with hot sauce, spam egg sausage and spam? Spam spam baked beans and spam!
    [quoted image]

It's interesting you had spam already bought. I like spam, but only have bought one time to make that Hawaiian sushi roll. Loved it in, but nobody else would touch it

#874 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

It's interesting you had spam already bought. I like spam, but only have bought one time to make that Hawaiian sushi roll. Loved it in, but nobody else would touch it

Spam fried rice is great!

#875 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I had just bought it actually. I was craving a lebercase sandwich after watching a travel germany food tour. I miss those things, a roll with a big slice of meat and mustard. Yum! Hard to find at the grocery so I heard Spam would work.

#876 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

[quoted image]

I've made spam burnt ends. Certainly quicker than traditional burnt ends--but also "hot doggy"

#877 1 year ago

Well, thought I should change up my smoker with the recent sales. We don’t have a Lowes nearby. Sadly, all we got is Walmart.

$200 for this guy seems fun to play with. Let’s see how it performs soon. Was thinking of getting a Traegar or something higher… but cannot say no to a cheap price.

This brand was popular enough at my local Walmart I got the last clearance item.. they sold 5 today.

D9CBA0A8-B39E-480A-999C-5E6F611DE56E (resized).jpegD9CBA0A8-B39E-480A-999C-5E6F611DE56E (resized).jpegFF808D40-C734-4CC0-85B8-94C21D611C6A (resized).jpegFF808D40-C734-4CC0-85B8-94C21D611C6A (resized).jpeg

#878 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Was thinking of getting a Traegar or something …

Traeger brothers sold the company almost 20 years ago, so now of course, Traeger grills are made in China.

The Traeger brothers now work at Dansons, the company that makes Pit Boss, Louisiana Grills, A-Maze-N Smokers, Country Smokers and Cuisinart Smokers.

So ironically, your Pit Boss is more of a **Traeger** than any Traeger made in decades.....

1341563 (resized).jpg1341563 (resized).jpg
    #879 1 year ago

Pit boss also has a better warranty than Traeger.

#880 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Traeger brothers sold the company almost 20 years ago, so now of course, Traeger grills are made in China.
    The Traeger brothers now work at Dansons, the company that makes Pit Boss, Louisiana Grills, A-Maze-N Smokers, Country Smokers and Cuisinart Smokers.
    So ironically, your Pit Boss is more of a **Traeger** than any Traeger made in decades.....[quoted image]

Nice educational information.

Quoted from Slugmeister:

Pit boss also has a better warranty than Traeger.

This is also interesting.

#881 1 year ago

Grilled a rack of ribs for the first time, I’ve smoked plenty but doing a rack in an hour is a nice change of pace. They weren’t fall off the bone but I really liked them. Used Chudds method.

1B1DA73E-F86B-4971-AEF8-E9FD81790640 (resized).jpeg1B1DA73E-F86B-4971-AEF8-E9FD81790640 (resized).jpeg
    #882 1 year ago
    Quoted from jalkelly:

Grilled a rack of ribs for the first time, I’ve smoked plenty but doing a rack in an hour is a nice change of pace. They weren’t fall off the bone but I really liked them. Used Chudds method.
    [quoted image]

One hour?

#883 1 year ago

35 mins indirect or until they hit 160, 10 mins direct(turning every 2 mins) sauce and move back to indirect for 15 mins or until they hit 200. Easy peasy

#884 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

So ironically, your Pit Boss is more of a **Traeger** than any Traeger made in decades.....[quoted image]

If Traeger and Dansons are both made in China now, what's the point? Seems like the Traeger brothers have little pull about clawing manufacture back to the USA at Dansons and are more trophies than anything.

#885 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

If Traeger and Dansons are both made in China now, what's the point?

That's why all those retrofit kits with the new PID controllers and wifi, fit so many brands.

Probably one chinese factory is supplying 25 different companies with their grills.

Even a couple of those **made in USA** pellet grills that cost $2500, seem to have that exact same hopper/auger/PID unit on them

#886 1 year ago
    Quoted from jalkelly:

35 mins indirect or until they hit 160, 10 mins direct(turning every 2 mins) sauce and move back to indirect for 15 mins or until they hit 200. Easy peasy

I need to try this because in all my years doing and reading about bbq I've never heard anyone talk about a I hour rack of ribs

#887 1 year ago

In Miami at the dolphins game someone put their hot grill under the car for safe keeping.Smoked 12 cars.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #888 1 year ago

I really hope nobody was injured!

Banning of tailgating/grills coming in 3.....2.....1.....

#889 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I really hope nobody was injured!
    Banning of tailgating/grills coming in 3.....2.....1.....

no injuries.

#890 1 year ago

At least in Miami, no one leaves their dog in the car...

#891 1 year ago

Ugh.. why are the stupid folks the one that ruin it for those who know common sense??

Every time.

#892 1 year ago

I’d like to upgrade my Weber Kettle to the 26” version.

Does anyone know whether these go on sale and if so where?

https://www.weber.com/US/en/charcoal/original-kettle/original-kettle-premium-charcoal-grill-26/16401001.html

#893 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gotemwill:

I’d like to upgrade my Weber Kettle to the 26” version.
    Does anyone know whether these go on sale and if so where?
    https://www.weber.com/US/en/charcoal/original-kettle/original-kettle-premium-charcoal-grill-26/16401001.html

Every fall/winter they are reduced to $329 at home depot

I never noticed any mega clearance on them, probably because they don't have them @ walmart or lowes

#894 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Every fall/winter they are reduced to $329 at home depot
    I never noticed any mega clearance on them, probably because they don't have them @ walmart or lowes

Thanks! Is there anyway to know when the price drops or is it just something you have to check often?

#895 1 year ago

if you pay for brickseek, they claim they will notify you when an item drops - ive never tried it to see how that works...

#896 1 year ago

Anybody ever use prague powder to make pork shoulder/ribs/loin pink throughout after cooking?

I've had some commercially prepared pork shoulder from a meat market that was outstanding, and the owner said the brine was simply sugar, salt, and prague powder. It was absolutely juicy and delicious.

Obviously a little goes a loooooonnnnnngggggggg way, but just wanted to hear any input on it.

#897 1 year ago

I've never brined a pork shoulder before. Does it do enough to be worth it? I watched a meat church video recently with him purchasing pickle juice by the gallon for brine, what do you guys use? I'll be smoking the Thanksgiving turkey this year (for the first time) and definitely want to brine it first from what I read.

#898 1 year ago

Walmart has started using Spam blocking

028wd6nafun91 (resized).jpg028wd6nafun91 (resized).jpg
    #899 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Walmart has started using Spam blocking [quoted image]

???? I dont get this!!!! It shocked me when I saw Walmart was locking up ALL the Men's Underwear/undershirts/socks...

But this???!!!!!!!

#900 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I've never brined a pork shoulder before. Does it do enough to be worth it? I watched a meat church video recently with him purchasing pickle juice by the gallon for brine, what do you guys use? I'll be smoking the Thanksgiving turkey this year (for the first time) and definitely want to brine it first from what I read.

I went brine chicken and turkeys and it's awesome. I did a pork butt once and didn't notice. The only exception is dry brining St. Louis ribs with a heavy mix of salt and brown sugar. Amazing. Salman also goes good with heavy brown sugar dry brine.

There are 3,023 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ya-smoking/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.