• AFM 68 votes
    51%

(133 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

attack mars.gif
sfad.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I've been looking at the ST LE which I like the looks of, think it's overpriced but a lot of machines are 'overpriced'.

Got to thinking of a cage match if you will, two will enter one will leave.

So I was thinking what would be a fair fight?

I was thinking WoZ for the multiple color changing LEDs, I was thinking BSM since they are related by designer, and I was thinking of AFM for the space ship/saucer toy kind of open flow game.

I will just make the poll between ST LE and AFM just to see if ST has the chops to compete with the best classic pin or if people think the classic is past it's prime.

Suppose the AFM is a nice example which would you prefer and why?

#2 10 years ago

Well AFM is my favorite 90's game and I miss mine.

But ST LE takes it to a new level with the ship firing back, and crashing. And the lightshow is miles better.

AFM wins on humor and dots.

I would have both but if only one, it's STLE.

#3 10 years ago

Both are great games, with positives and negatives. From the looks of your collection and wish list it looks like this is hypothetical, so from the games you have listed there I would eliminate X-Men first and then Pirates and then WOZ before any of the others.

#4 10 years ago

The limited time I've had on ST still makes me think I'd much rather own this game than AFM. ST seems to be more of a challenge. I do, however, like the art more on AFM but I don't own games for that piece alone. The only thing I don't like on ST is the DMD graphics - looks very early 90's. The "arch rivals" video game has just as good or better graphics than ST. Hell the complexity of Avatar's DMD seems better than ST's to me anyway.

#5 10 years ago

AFM- Better game and it will still work 20 years from now to as the build quality is much better

#6 10 years ago

Tough choice, but I would say edge to AFM.

AFM is very easy for both the novice and expert to understand and has terrific sound and humor, with some great aftermarket mods available.

I wish I had room for both, but my wife thinks AFM is too similar to RFM.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

AFM wins on humor and dots.
I would have both but if only one, it's STLE.

My thoughts exactly.

#8 10 years ago

I'm loving my STLE, but I'm in the honeymoon phase still.

AFM is a proven winner in terms of standing the test of time. All time classic, with superb game play and excellent theme. And it's flow is right on par with STLE.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm loving my STLE, but I'm in the honeymoon phase still.
AFM is a proven winner in terms of standing the test of time. All time classic, with superb game play and excellent theme. And it's flow is right on par with STLE.

100% on board with this. AFM is a proven winner for me. Only seen STLE and yet to play it. Played the pro a good chunk and really like it, but AFM really is top notch if you get super deep in it. Humor is fantastic, rules are awesome and the simplistic PF layout is spot on

#11 10 years ago

Nuff' said!

attack mars.gifattack mars.gif
#12 10 years ago

For me STLE
It's a hard poll as most people have played AFM compared to STLE
I guess most who vote will vote that way. Be good to do it again in a year or so...

#14 10 years ago

Buy both!

#15 10 years ago

STLE , no comparison. You can't make the old as appealing . 5-10 years from now, the light show as well as game
play appeal to the newer and younger pin buyers, will exaggerate this to a greater extent.

#16 10 years ago

AFM all day, err day.

#17 10 years ago

Sold my AFM and bought STLE. AFM is great, had it in my collection for almost 5 years. After awhile any machine will get old though. Sometimes a change up helps freshen things up. Just my 2 cents.

#18 10 years ago

AFM. It's iconic. STLE will most likely not be there. Guys selling AFM most likely bought it low and had it for a while.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Sold my AFM and bought STLE. AFM is great, had it in my collection for almost 5 years. After awhile any machine will get old though. Sometimes a change up helps freshen things up. Just my 2 cents.

I did the exact same thing! If I had unlimited money and space AFM would still be there but between the two STLE won.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

I did the exact same thing! If I had unlimited money and space AFM would still be there but between the two STLE won.

Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Well guys did you make the right choice? Do you both have STLE?

#21 10 years ago

If you were forced to have a one pin collection, surely you would have to go for STLE wouldn't you? I think if I was only faced with AFM all the time that I might pine for a bigger visual package and some chase lights at the very least. Not sure that I would be wishing for what AFM has to offer if I was only playing STLE. AFM is of course freaking awesome, but the question is have to pick one.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

So far, I have not missed AFM at all.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I hadn't played my AFM in over 10 months, so didn't see the point in keeping the machine any longer. I like STLE thus far. I've only played about 10 games on it though. Will I own it 5 years from now? If Stern and JJP keeping making solid machines, then the answer is probably no. I don't have a ton of space, so a game that gets played is better than a museum piece.

#24 10 years ago

I really enjoyed my AFM but ST LE is the better game.

#25 10 years ago

ST LE over AFM for me. I owned AFM for a few years, but sold it. Great flow and humor, but after awhile just never got played. While I only have the Pro, I am very impressed so far and with more software updates down the road it will only get better.

#26 10 years ago

I'm not picky, i'll take either one. who do I PM my address to?

#27 10 years ago

AFM all the way

Joe(acejedi)

#28 10 years ago

I'll take smassa's AFM.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Hugo:

AFM- Better game and it will still work 20 years from now to as the build quality is much better

Pfff all the solder will be cracked and bulging caps I love both, be hard, but st has such a better light and new feel

#30 10 years ago

Having a similar conversation with another pinsider. The old games feel , well, old. Outdated is the word we came up with. As much as I love my NGG and FT's or my TZ when I had it, AC/DC just feels so much nicer. Once I see an actual Hobbit, I think I am selling off the old ones and getting it. Maybe the STLE even sooner all for that reason. I MHO!

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

Having a similar conversation with another pinsider. The old games feel , well, old. Outdated is the word we came up with. As much as I love my NGG and FT's or my TZ when I had it, AC/DC just feels so much nicer. Once I see an actual Hobbit, I think I am selling off the old ones and getting it. Maybe the STLE even sooner all for that reason. I MHO!

I've felt the same with just about every highly rated vintage game... Except AFM. That game is fast, fun, rewarding. A bit repetitive to be sure, but the theme is really nailed. I would take it over MM, TOTAN, TAF etc. it's the only old school game that I sort of covet... And yet, I'm going STLE here.

#32 10 years ago

I haven't played ST yet but I believe it is a testament to its possible greatness that it is holding its own in the votes. Next Thursday the wait is over!

#33 10 years ago

Opinion mode: ST is a flash in the pan. A few years from now AFM will still be a great game. However, I wouldn't pick either of the two choices. There are a lot of games I'd pick over both of them for my gameroom.

#34 10 years ago

I had my in-laws over this evening for dinner. They are pinball collectors as well, so they were eager to play ST. I turned on SM, MB, and STLE for everyone to play. At the end of the evening I ask everyone to rate the machines. Here's what the unanimous order was: ST, MB, then SM. Personally, I'd put SM over MB.

The more I play ST the more I like it. I'm pressing the start button as soon as ball 3 drains. Yes I'm in the "honeymoon" phase still, but I don't remember being this excited to play pinball in a long time.

#35 10 years ago

Afm. They are much harder to get. ST will be easy to get for years.

#36 10 years ago

wow thanks guys for voting and the great input.

I was kind of thinking the AFM would run away and hide, but then of course the ST is at it's peak of popularity but a lot of people have not played it yet either.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

yes until the next PPS remake which could well be AFM with color LCD brand new for the same money as STLE

#38 10 years ago

Well, that speculation puts a new spin on buying expensive wms games.
I Guess it depends on how much the afm is. But either way, st will be easy to get.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Well, that speculation puts a new spin on buying expensive wms games.
I Guess it depends on how much the afm is. But either way, st will be easy to get.

I know that I am speculating on AFM remake, but it's fairly logical that something like MB, AFM, or maybe CC is probably the most likely target with MB being a licensed pin and CC unknown code? than AFM is probably the easiest of the three to make.

#41 10 years ago

Played some AFM tonight. Great game. I can't possibilty see how you would give up a proven game to buy a ST LE if you had to pick one or the other right now.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Huh? AFM >3000 not counting the remake, so God knows how many more. STLE =799. Really?

#43 10 years ago

AFM can't hold a candle to STLE. STLE all the way - fantastic game. Best game ever IMHO. I'd take STLE over any title ever created... and I've owned/restored over 100 titles over the years.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

AFM can't hold a candle to STLE. STLE all the way - fantastic game. Best game ever IMHO. I'd take STLE over any title ever created... and I've owned/restored over 100 titles over the years.

Damn!

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

AFM can't hold a candle to STLE.

Let's not all go get crazy n shit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.50
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-you-take-st-le-or-nice-afm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.