(Topic ID: 164288)

What would you retheme a Stern Rolling Stones into?

By multibrawlr

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What new theme would be good to replace The Rolling Stones?”

• Devil May Cry 3 votes
    19%
  • Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie 1 vote
    6%
  • Different theme (please specify) 6 votes
    38%
  • Leave it the way it is! 6 votes
    38%

(16 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider multibrawlr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

The Rolling Stones seems like a good target for rethemes among some hobbyists; the game itself has a few fun shots, but in my opinion what kinda lets it down is the theme, which I personally don't find as strong or appealing as AC/DC and Metallica. We've already seen Iron Maiden and Foo Fighters rethemes of this pin, which look pretty awesome.

One of these days I'd like to get a Rolling Stones, crack it open, and install a P-Roc board. Then I'd probably go to town with writing new software once I get the skill set for it from college. But the one area that I'm still unsure of would be the theme.

Two of the ones that I've kind of been contemplating about aren't even music-themed, but they've been the original Devil May Cry video game series and the Angry Video Game Nerd movie from 2014 (which is a pretty offbeat choice).

I guess what I'm asking you guys is... which theme seems better in your eyes for a Rolling Stones retheme? And if both of these aren't as appealing to you, what other theme would you prefer if you were retheming a Rolling Stones yourself (considering that many, many people probably won't be fans of said two themes that I've already listed)?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I'm a fan of rethemes being something pretty recognizable, it helps with the wow factor, and also in finding artwork to use (and in the case of the Iron Maiden, toys available for the playfield).

Great points! Out of both themes I think Devil May Cry has more in terms of artwork and toys. The AVGN movie... maybe not on the same level. A lot of the features that I considered would probably call for custom sculpted toys, which costs more money.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I could get into an AVGN pinball machine. I bet if you sent James a video of it, he'd get a pretty big kick out of it. He and Mike seem like the kind of people who'd appreciate a rethemed pinball machine based on them.
I'm biased to any video game re-theme though. The world of pinball needs more video game themed pinball machines. Movies are cool, but people fail to realize that the gaming industry is a larger, more lucrative market than Hollywood is!

Speaking of AVGN... I wonder if he's seen Stern's Ghostbusters yet? Considering that he's such a fan of the original movies I'm sure he would be interested.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I really doubt it. If it isn't a Super Nintendo or NES, he probably doesn't know it exists.

Just sent him an email about it, but as he said on his website responses are pretty rare and infrequent. It would be an interesting change of pace from video games and movies if him and Mike sought one out and filmed their reactions. Since I think he's from Pennsylvania, it'd be really cool if James paid a visit to ReplayFX.

Quoted from mbaumle:

On the topic of AVGN, if you decide to go that route, you could add in some sweet JonTron Easter eggs, er I mean "Jacques Eggs." Heh. But I could see a lot of opportunity using "bad luck bootsy" or integrating Mike in somehow. You'd have to put in the Dream Phone or Mr. Bucket, just because they're equally awesome imo.

So I initially thought of the AVGN Movie as my retheme. I had a ton of ideas. I thought the soundtrack from Bear McCreary was kickass and would go well with the game. The central villain, General Dark Onward, would probably replace the "Mick on a Stick". The records modes would be various scenes from the movie, like the Nerd's zombie nightmare, the scene where he's sliding down a cliff in a plastic UFO with a rubber alien mask, ect.

The VIP pass would be the arcade. The Combo targets would be centered around them digging for E.T. cartridges. The "Charlie Fast Scoring Round" would be a "F**k Frenzy" mode like The Sopranos. "Licks"-- the scene where he's piloting a fighter jet. All of this would probably with PROC, because while Pinball Browser is great, it has its limitations. Of course I'd have to learn how to program everything, which won't be easy. But I'm majoring in Computer Science, so that's a start.

Thinking back, the show obviously has a lot more content to work with, but I think what appeals to me most about the AVGN movie is that it's a grand, epic and goofy story with a conspiracy-laden plot, villains, and lots of references. Plus it's got its fair share of action, too. In my opinion, all of this would work well with pinball.

I'm still not sure yet what to choose (either the movie or show), but no matter what I'd love to put references to JonTron, Bootsy, Mike, Kyle Justin, Nostalgia Critic, ect.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider multibrawlr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-you-retheme-a-stern-rolling-stones-into?tu=multibrawlr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.