(Topic ID: 119020)

What would you rather? TF LE or Met pro?

By rai

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Lethal_Inc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What would you recommend?”

• TF LE 22 votes
    24%
  • Met pro 71 votes
    76%

(93 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Office2_L.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I'm not currently looking, but I'm keeping an eye open for some titles to pop up nearby.

Based on price I was considering TF LE or Met pro (both HUO).

I could even imagine paying slightly more for a Met pro, or maybe very similar price.

So was curious, if it's better to get the higher rated game (Met) which people say has very good rules (I have not actually studied the rules but I have played the game and know how to start the various inserts like Graveyard, Sparky, snake etc.. but I really don't fully understand the CIU modes.)

Or on the other hand I've heard some people really like TF LE may be more bang for your buck an LE with side armor, shaker etc, I played TF a few times, was not sure of the rules but it didn't make me want to buy one on the spot, but I have learned that many games (for me) I like a lot better after I've played more. Example, I don't ever feel that I needed to buy LOTR or TSPP from limited play, but most likely I'd like those games in a home environment. One reservation I have about TF LE is the upper PF which I'm not sure, but doesn't strike me as looking like a heck of a lot of fun. I only played TF LE a couple of games, don't even recall the upper PF, I may not have activated it.

I am leaving off TWD which I didn't love, the ramps maybe too long and didn't love the left hand ramp placement or the zombie bash toy and barn bash toy. I bet it's a nice game but really didn't grab me.

Looking at my collection, I have IM, Tron and XMLE. Would adding another recent Borg game Met pro be redundant? Would I benifit more from a different type design like TF?

#2 9 years ago

personally i will go for tfle but thats just me dont get me wrong metallica is a great game , tfle may be the 6th movie stern pin in your line up just to think about whereas met pro would look great next to your acdc tho

#3 9 years ago

One more thing, I'd like to avoid chopping wood rules as much as possible, I know most pins have you hit x number of shots. But there are some chopping wood more than others. I'd rather have a more diverse type rule tree than a rule tree that is basically 'how many times you hit a certain shot = how high your score is'.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

personally i will go for tfle but thats just me dont get me wrong Metallica is a great game , tfle may be the 6th movie stern pin in your line up just to think about whereas met pro would look great next to your acdc tho

Maybe I am trying to corner the market on Stern movie pins. What else? Avatar, BTDK, IJ4, AP (no on that one), LotR.

#5 9 years ago

I think MET would be redundant with IM already in your lineup. Both have a central bash toy with magnet in center. Metallica is a good game, I may end up with one at some point, but I would definitely take TFLE over MET in a heartbeat.

The upper playfield and rotating Starscream figure are not the most mind blowing additions for a LE and most say the pro flows better (have never played the pro so I can't compare), but with TFLE being dirt cheap already, I think it's worth going LE just for the awesome powder coated armor and drop target in front of Megatron. Unlike the shit quality paint used on Xmen and Metallica LE, the candy color on TFLE really pops and is durable.

While all of TFLE's modes boil down to shooting a required number of shots there is a great variety between modes as to what order and how the shots are achieved. Devastator is my favorite in that you shoot an orbit that leads to the pop bumpers and each hit to the bumpers alternates what shot you will hit next. So you're seeing a column of lights rotate around the PF as the ball hits the bumpers.

Very deep rules on TFLE, the absolute best sound package Stern has done to date. If you get a TF a upgraded subwoofer is a requirement. Also the way you can switch between factions at the start of the game is very cool.

I'm not even that big of a Transformers fan (think the Michael Bay movies are some of the worst films of all time), but I think the pin is fantastic. If you've played Johnny Mnumonic, it kinda reminds me of that in terms of flow. Very fast, frantic game.

#6 9 years ago

No question-Metallica Pro is the way to go. The layout, artwork and flow is fantastic. I also love my TF LE, but it would leave my collection way sooner than Metallica ever would. The TF LE has longer ball times and tends to be easier to play. Both are great but Metallica is my choice if I had to choose.

#7 9 years ago

Phil - I've played on both tables... liked MET more. Are you dead set on Sterns? If you're concerned about redundancy in feel, perhaps look at some other makers?

Todd

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Phil - I've played on both tables... liked MET more. Are you dead set on Sterns? If you're concerned about redundancy in feel, perhaps look at some other makers?
Todd

Not against other manufacturers. I've owned T2, BOP, STTNG, TZ, IJ, CFTBL, TOTAN. So I can appreciate the older games. But I tend to favor new or near mint games and it's hard to find those in the 20 year old games.

Was thinking of MMR or TH but both I'd need to play first and both are a much bigger amount to pay.

I'd love either TZ or IJ but sold both, I'd need to buy a better condition game in return and those aren't falling out of trees.

I'm not even really looking for a new addition, so might just wait to see what next Stern or Stern VE or see how TH plays or JJP #3 or next after MMR.

I'm not in the market, later would be better, but if somethig nice was around and a good deal I'd maybe find room somewhere.

#9 9 years ago

Got it. Don't forget WOZ and AMH! Both of those will give you get you where you want to be

Otherwise, I'd strongly consider giving Mustang Premium a good look. I played a few games on it at Pinfest. Fun game...and it's going to be hard to find in future years.

#10 9 years ago

I've played AMH, and WoZ but both are not cheap, nor did I love either.

#11 9 years ago

MET Pro. Both are fun pins, but MET is one of the best pins to come out in a long time.

#12 9 years ago

Going to kick myself in my own ass for saying this but I'd go Met Pro. I own TFLE and METLE. I don't consider METLE to be to much different than the pro game play wise though. I love my TFLE and doubt it will ever leave but MET just has the it factor for me if nothing else than CIU modes. The risk vs reward of Met makes it so fun.

#13 9 years ago

TFLE no thanks. Rather have the TFPro anyway, and MetPro over both of them by a mile.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

MET Pro. Both are fun pins, but MET is one of the best pins to come out in a long time.

Quoted from 85vett:

Going to kick myself in my own ass for saying this but I'd go Met Pro. MET just has the it factor for me if nothing else than CIU modes. The risk vs reward of Met makes it so fun.

Seems like as I expected that Met would be a clear winner. I had thought it might be a tighter vote.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'd like to avoid chopping wood rules as much as possible

You answered your own question. TF is nothing BUT chopping wood, IMO. And I *like* TF Pro in most cases... have played the premium a bunch of times and I just don't "get" the mini playfield on the right..I don't have the appropriate skillset for it apparently.

#16 9 years ago

I thought it would be a bigger blow-out than it is...Metallica by a mile!

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

have played the premium a bunch of times and I just don't "get" the mini playfield on the right..

There's nothing to get, it's just dumb There are a few very vocal fans of it here, but most people I deal with can't stand it.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I thought it would be a bigger blow-out than it is...Metallica by a mile!

it is officially a blow out.

#19 9 years ago

Easy choice for me would be MET Pro. To me MET has a suprior layout, with better art, toys, and rules.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

it is officially a blow out.

Well of course it is. When you put an acclaimed machine against one that got panned, you will always get a blowout... even when it leads you away from the better game.

I really like Transformers. I always enjoy playing it (provided it is working 100% and the Megatron scoop registers correctly). Some do consider it chopping wood, and it is true that it take a lot of shots to get things done. Plus the timing of the modes make them difficult to finish, leading to playing the same mode again in the game if you get that far and depending on pop bumper luck. The mode starts are weird because you are making the lit mode shots to start the mode and light the shots. So it is a bit of an odd duck. And yet for some reason it works on that game. Fantastic sounds (and as said above, needs a sub woofer!).

Personally I prefer the TF Pro because I don't like the flow of the IronHide ramp, even when it isn't active on the LE. But I wouldn't kick an LE out if it was in my house. Fun game.

So MET will win this showdown, running away. But if I walked into a room and it had these two pins in it, I'd be playing the TF all afternoon while MET sat there quiet. But that's just me.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

There's nothing to get, it's just dumb There are a few very vocal fans of it here, but most people I deal with can't stand it.

I'd actually argue the opposite. There are a few very vocal members that bash TF every chance they get which makes it seem more hated than it really is. The mini playfield, while not all that great is still challenging if you remove the gate. With the gate it's a lame duck though so I can agree with that.

#22 9 years ago

I wanted to like that mini PF..I thought them using the old pinball sounds was hilarious... just seemed dumb. Like if the game was the slightest bit off-kilter you would have zero chance to do anything. I only had access to TF Combo LE in a Cinemark arcade. It played well enough, but any chance of it being level? Forget about it.

#23 9 years ago

Next time you plan to come to Austin hit me up. Come on over and play mine (as well as my other games). I've got all my games dialed in pretty good so you can get a better idea on how it plays (without the gate) to see if you still hate it. Got a few other games you may enjoy playing too.

#24 9 years ago

I'd say MET over TF--like the shots/flow, interesting and varied modes and strategies. But, I'd take a WPT over either in a heartbeat!

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

You answered your own question. TF is nothing BUT chopping wood, IMO. And I *like* TF Pro in most cases... have played the premium a bunch of times and I just don't "get" the mini playfield on the right..I don't have the appropriate skillset for it apparently.

This exactly and I like the TF Pro too. TF Pro is a better game than the LE, but both of them are the definition of chopping wood. Shoot a few lit shots to start modes that are basically all the same. Sprinkle in Megatron and Optimus Multiballs which are basically the same as the modes, shoot more of the same generic lit shots with a super jackpot to complete if you shoot enough generic lit shots. I like playing TF, but only in short bursts. There's only so many dozen times in a game I can backhand Starscream, hit the right orbit to the pops, trap the feed out of the pops and do it again, before I just don't want to play it anymore. I like to play it 2-3 times in one outing, and then I am good for weeks cause it is such a chopping wood marathon and games last forever if you want to get anywhere in the game.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I'd actually argue the opposite. There are a few very vocal members that bash TF every chance they get which makes it seem more hated than it really is. The mini playfield, while not all that great is still challenging if you remove the gate. With the gate it's a lame duck though so I can agree with that.

I respect your opinion, but saying the mini Playfield is stupid isn't bashing the game. TF is a fine(ish) game; but it's a little bit of a chore to play IMO. But the same can be said of LOTR and everyone loves that game. The mini Playfield is a horrible, dumb, pointless waste of space/time on that machine...that has nothing to do with the rest of it.

EDIT: Having the gate open so it can end quicker is a good idea...but then it's serving no purpose.

#28 9 years ago

Rai,
TFLE is the one game I sold that I regret and now looking to replace. But I own MET. MET is a must have way before TFLE.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Next time you plan to come to Austin hit me up. Come on over and play mine (as well as my other games). I've got all my games dialed in pretty good so you can get a better idea on how it plays (without the gate) to see if you still hate it. Got a few other games you may enjoy playing too.

I am leaving to drive down to Austin in about two and a half hours. =P

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I am leaving to drive down to Austin in about two and a half hours. =P

Contact info sent. Trying to pick up a soccer game tonight but it's not looking promising so I've got no other plans.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I wanted to like that mini PF...

Every single time I play TFLE I want to take that mini PF out and Office Space it.
Office2_L.jpgOffice2_L.jpg

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Rai,
TFLE is the one game I sold that I regret and now looking to replace. But I own MET. MET is a must have way before TFLE.

thanks for the advice.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Every single time I play TFLE I want to take that mini PF out and Office Space it.

Office2_L.jpg 39 KB

PC LOAD LETTER - CHECK MEGATRON'S BALLS.

#34 9 years ago

Met Pro if your collection is small. Both if your collection is large.

#35 9 years ago

Like me some TF but MET pro has everything better going for it. Better theme, better playfield artwork, better rules, IMO.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 29.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.