(Topic ID: 79820)

What would you rather have? MMR or STLE? (And why?)

By rai

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by redman822
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“If you could only pick one”

• MMR 88 votes
    49%
  • STLE 93 votes
    51%

(181 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

star-trek-re-re-re-re-make.jpeg
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Just out of curiosity, since people don't generally have $16,000 in their back pocket to spend.

I believe people were either not in the running for either one, as in they were not in a position to spend $8k in the first place or some subset were in for one or the other not both.

I'll make this a poll where you can pick one or the other not both.

#2 10 years ago

I am in on a MMR for now but debating if I am actually going to take it. I have decided to wait for a STLE or premium once they start selling as HUO, hopefully a little cheaper. So I guess I'm in on MMR for now but nothing is ever certain.

#3 10 years ago

The new MMR has not even been released much less proven by the manufacturer to even work. For a first time manufacturer they will have problems and until these items can be solved, I would go with a company that is tried and true.

#4 10 years ago

I'll be interested to see what happens with MMR. Possibly something I would be interested in, depending on how things work out.

#5 10 years ago

It's funny that you asked this question. I have an STLE coming soon, and I also have an MMr on order. I've been seriously considering cancelling the MMr. Based on how many PPR is planning on running, it's not like HUO ones won't be readily available down the line. I'm also starting to question if it really make sense paying a premium just to get one NIB?

STLE is a different animal. Yes, 800 is a pretty large run, but that's all that will ever be made. The LE is also quite different from the premiums cosmetically.

#6 10 years ago

That's an easy one! STLE ... ALL THE WAY!!!

(only because I've already found our beautifully restored MM )

#7 10 years ago

I have had some good luck with Stern, not all roses and sunshine, but you know what you are getting.

I am hopeful PPS is a major success, I'd love more new old games, nothing against remakes. But seeing how Woz had let's call them teething pains, and as the LE is not really anything better than the regular edition, I don't see a compelling reason to bite before I can see play hear the reviews.

So I dropped my preorder for MMR sadly, if it turns out super I can get a regular edition or huo LE or maybe the next game AFM will be slightly cheaper(?).

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

That's an easy one! STLE ... ALL THE WAY!!!
(only because I've already found our beautifully restored MM )

I did the exact same thing^

#9 10 years ago

I already had to make this decision and with ST Pro having almost identical gameplay as the LE model, I would say MMR all the way!!!

#10 10 years ago

MMR hands-down. Why? Fun theme, good humor, variety of shots, interactive toys, good use of DMD, and high fun factor. All lacking/absent in the other choice.

#11 10 years ago

Star Trek
Only reason why it's a new fresh game
As mmr is a remake of a old game which is way overrated
I would rather have stle and another game with the price difference between the two
But id rather go Star Trek pro than le

#12 10 years ago

MMr but I have an STLE.
If I had to choose MMr for life...fun and theme put it over the top for me.

#13 10 years ago

STLE.....I loved the game, and I am not a big Star Trek fan. MM was an easier game for me, so I'm not sure how long it would last in the collection

#14 10 years ago

I've owned them both. I'm going to go with STLE. The main reason is that STLE is a better game and more fun to play. It is also new and has color changing LEDs, while MM is yesterday's news. Don't get me wrong MM is a great game for sure but I always preferred AFM by a mile.

I would have a harder time deciding AFMr vs STLE.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I've owned them both. I'm going to go with STLE. The main reason is that STLE is a better game and more fun to play. It is also new and has color changing LEDs,

Theme may matter. I love the game play of ST but hate the frikkin theme. In the end it may go for that reason. I am so sad a great game was wasted on ST. Should have been Iron maiden!

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Theme may matter. I love the game play of ST but hate the frikkin theme. In the end it may go for that reason. I am so sad a great game was wasted on ST. Should have been Iron maiden!

Yes, theme does matter. Fortunately I love Star Trek. They lost me there with some of the later TV shows, but the rebooted movies are great. Now if it was Iron Maiden, I'd be one of those DB's like over in the Mustang threads saying "next" even though I had not seen it or played it in person.

#17 10 years ago

I have ST LE, cancelled MMr. Just too old.

#18 10 years ago

I went STLE, I was originally looking at MMr for my first pin but then decided that 8k for a remake of a pin from a new company with no track record may not be a wise decision.

#19 10 years ago

MM - good game but prefer both AFM and STLE.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It's funny that you asked this question. I have an STLE coming soon, and I also have an MMr on order. I've been seriously considering cancelling the MMr. Based on how many PPR is planning on running, it's not like HUO ones won't be readily available down the line. I'm also starting to question if it really make sense paying a premium just to get one NIB?

STLE is a different animal. Yes, 800 is a pretty large run, but that's all that will ever be made. The LE is also quite different from the premiums cosmetically.

It would be pretty comical if this was a really wide viewpoint and so many people decided to do it that they werent as readily available, lol. Doubtful it'll happen, but it'd be humorous nonetheless

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

MMR hands-down. Why? Fun theme, good humor, variety of shots, interactive toys, good use of DMD, and high fun factor. All lacking/absent in the other choice.

Nailed it.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Adydar:

I was originally looking at MMr for my first pin but then decided that 8k for a remake of a pin from a new company with no track record may not be a wise decision.

nailed it!

#23 10 years ago

STLE here. Wish PPS was doing a new original idea game, not a remake of an old game. Can't think of any old game I would have an interest in, as a remake. If I did, I would want the original.

#24 10 years ago

Why force yourself to choose when you can own and enjoy both? I had already laid the money down for STLE when the new MM was announced so I decided to do something rare....I started saving. Still am. Yes, its a big number but I was amazed to find how fast the kiddie added up when I really crunched down. I have desired few things in life more than MM (I know thats kinda sad) and I am going to make it, without even having to sell any vital organs. Did I mention I have become the spokesperson for Eatiegood Ramen Noodles? Yep, ate so many they just hired me on. Remember folks, Eatiegood Ramen noodles. the official cheap ass food for starving pinheads. Mmmm mmm. What the F$#@ is this nasty gruel? Eatiegooood Yeah!

#25 10 years ago

Why waste time remaking a jokey pinball from the 90's when you could make a new great 21st century game. I owned MM and while it was very good its starting to show it's age, STLE is the best pinball machine I've played to date and I hope a sign of what's to come. STLE all the way.

#26 10 years ago

Star trek. No pins are worth 8k euro though. And certainly not a remake where 8k is just a lame abuse of pinfans.

Star trek pro is the only sensibel option in my view. And that is a fantastic pin, and will be even better. For 5k euro.

#27 10 years ago

For me, having been in the hobby for a long time and having owned at MM for 15+ years, STLE is something I would like to get at this point.

However, if MM was something new to me and I hadn't owned it, I would want one of those also.

#28 10 years ago

MM is a good game but its date is starting to show. My vote would be STLE! I got one yesterday and LOVE it.

#29 10 years ago

STLE is the first game for ages that my kids like - had over 10 since AFM which they liked.

#30 10 years ago

Looks like a close race. I know MMR is at a disadvantage in that people have not played it yet but are going by the regular MM pin. Hopefully it will be just as good as the original version or better.

I know a lot of people might call the STLE just the puppy love pin, in that it's the new kid on the block. But at least it's holding it's own in this poll. Hopefully it's code will mature and it will get better with age.

#31 10 years ago

MMR.

LTG : )

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I think the game can be appreciated without being a trekie... the dots, etc are just so good. They certainly set a very good baseline for going forward.. I just hope they can keep it up and build upon it. The game has interesting shots, visually it sets a new standard for stern, and the dots/sound are great. The LE really makes AC/DC look pedestrian by comparison in a lot of ways. That's why mustang looks like such a letdown to me platform wise.. coming after ST.

#33 10 years ago

Voted ST-LE

We have both, not aTrekkie but love ST, Sterns done amazing things with ST's lighting IMO.
Lighing, Dots, sound & Game play are simply awesome (again IMO).

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Theme definitely matter's, I love Star Trek would rather it was based on the 60's program with new pin tech although I do enjoy the new cast and films. It's like AC/DC so much praise and I can't get past the theme, really any band themed pinball just doesn't appeal to me. That's part of pinball I guess. Maybe SLAYER, or Black Sabbath.

#35 10 years ago

ummmmm.... "remake"....

just saying...

star-trek-re-re-re-re-make.jpegstar-trek-re-re-re-re-make.jpeg

#36 10 years ago

I vote for STLE (though wish it was based on the Roddenberry crews and not the JJA reboot) mostly because I have an original MM that I bought NIB already.

Still trying to decide if I'm going to keep my MMR order.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

ummmmm.... "remake"....
just saying...

star-trek-re-re-re-re-make.jpeg 196 KB

Ooooh ... Nice Star Trek line up !!

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

ummmmm.... "remake"....

I'd be tempted to do that if I had the space. I could get my Bally back from my brother and only need to pick up the DE. Anyway, nice to see that you've pulled it off.

#39 10 years ago

MMR, I thought was there no way would I be able to have this machine ever let alone NIB. Hopefully in a year or two I will be able to get a ST.

#40 10 years ago

STLE, the theme

#41 10 years ago

If you only have 8k to plop on a table this year grab a STLE. Guessing the price will go up similar to TronLE while MMR will hover or drop as they start flooding the market this year.

I'm glad that I don't have to choose. Have a STLE already in the gameroom and have a MMR on order. =)

#42 10 years ago

I really like that they used the real actors voices in STLE really adds to it (that and a little work with pin browser... theme song added ect) I was watching an old video of XMEN LE and was thinking just using the real actors voices/movie sound bites would of made the game way better.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Why waste time remaking a jokey pinball from the 90's ........... it's age, STLE is the best pinball machine I've played to date.

Hmm.

Some of those "jokey" pinballs from the 90's have held up better than games that are only a year old....

It's easy to love the latest game out, but history has shown most of those grow old fast.... Look at your own collection, besides ST, you have kept nothing made in the last decade....

You've bought and then sold off 4 sterns in as many years? Were each of those "the best pinball you'd ever played" only to be replaced a year later by.... "The best pinball you've ever played"?

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

If you only have 8k to plop on a table this year grab a STLE. Guessing the price will go up similar to TronLE while MMR will hover or drop as they start flooding the market this year.
I'm glad that I don't have to choose. Have a STLE already in the gameroom and have a MMR on order. =)

if you're buying a NiB game because you think its value will rise you have already made the wrong decision regardless of which one you pick.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

if you're buying a NiB game because you think its value will rise you have already made the wrong decision regardless of which one you pick.

I was actually not talking about purchasing for investment but rather maximizing success to eventually get both. If you can only buy one of those tables this year maybe get the one that could be harder to purchase down the road. Both are great games. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I just think MMR has the potential to be an easier table to get compared to a STLE in a few years unless you have $$$ to spend.

#46 10 years ago

STLE, pretty sure MMr is not the real deal

#47 10 years ago

Wow! I can't believe the poll is so close. Different strokes…

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

STLE, pretty sure MMr is not the real deal.

I'm guessing many people that picked STLE in the poll did so because they are concerned about MMr's unproven new boardset, emulation, ect... I wonder if the results would be different if people were asked which game would they rather have, an STLE or mint original MM (assuming they were not allowed to flip it for profit).

#49 10 years ago

STLE because MMr is just too damn expensive for a remake of a game.
Yes; one might marginally say the Stern ST is a rehash of other Richie games - but that is only in it's initial layout.
MMr is just that... a product built 20years ago with the same rule set and features as before.

#50 10 years ago

if and only if, each game was 5k. I'd go with STLE if I had to pick between those. Otherwise i'd go with 40 other games i'd rather have, that cost less than 5k.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-you-rather-have-mmr-or-stle-and-why and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.