Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Schusler
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

having-fun-with-friends_(resized).png

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

This ad caught my eye. He's wanting 50k for the 27 games. What do you think?

System 3 Collection, 1991/4 Gottlieb: 50000.00
System 3 collection, 1991/4 gottlieb: $50,000.00 I have all 27 Gottlieb system 3 production full size pinball machines for sale as a lot. They are all currently set up in my gameroom. They are all 100% working give or take a bulb or switch. Please do not ask if I will separate them. Most of these are featured in the pinball compendium, 1982 to present by michael shalhoub. Lights camera action, silver slugger, vegas, deadly weapon, title fight, car hop, hoops, cactus jacks, class of 1812, surf n' safari, operation thunder, super mario bros, . Cue ball wizard, street fighter II, tee'd off, wipeout, gladiators, world challenge soccer, rescue 911, freddy, nightmare on elm street, shaq attaq, stargate, frank thomas big hurt, waterworld, mario andrettli, and barb wire.

#2 3 years ago

I would say that collection is not going anywhere for awhile if the guy refuses to break up the collection

#3 3 years ago

That's George's collection. He's not going to break it up. It's an all or nothing deal and he's in no big hurry to sell.

#4 3 years ago

Nothing, the pins belong to Geoge Riley...

#5 3 years ago

He must be 50k short on buying a sweet ass beach house.

#6 3 years ago

Let's see, 50k / 27 = $1851 per game, how many of the games are above that in value? One, Stargate. So you'd be paying market for one game and overpaying for 26 others, lol.

#7 3 years ago

Please tell me he's not the guy in the red wings jersey in the book...

#8 3 years ago

That's a pretty high average price per. Many of those can be found for low 1s, a few for 2s. I'm wondering which of these are rare and/or demand a high price?

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Let's see, 50k / 27 = $1851 per game, how many of the games are above that in value? One, Stargate. So you'd be paying market for one game and overpaying for 26 others, lol.

I would add Class of 1812. Anything else?

#10 3 years ago

Is this real or just a one up on the other thread that is how much for these 5 pins?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Is this real or just a one up on the other thread that is how much for these 5 pins?

It's real, been listed on MrPinball for a while.

#12 3 years ago

Has anyone seen these? Comments?

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

It's real. I've seen them in person a few times.

#14 3 years ago

I know, I'm just:

having-fun-with-friends_(resized).png

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

What makes Stargate stand out from the list? It comes up regularly here for prices below €1k.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

What makes Stargate stand out from the list? It comes up regularly here for

It's one of the best of the System 3 games, and it's one of the better themes.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

He can afford to overpay since he bought a King Kong for $200.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

What makes Stargate stand out from the list? It comes up regularly here for

One of the best rulesets of the 90's. Two wizard modes, 8 multiballs, unique layout, etc.

#19 3 years ago

It's a complete collection of mostly terrible games at a price that's way too high.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

This ad caught my eye. He's wanting 50k for the 27 games. What do you think?
System 3 Collection, 1991/4 Gottlieb: 50000.00
System 3 collection, 1991/4 gottlieb: $50,000.00 I have all 27 Gottlieb system 3 production full size pinball machines for sale as a lot. They are all currently set up in my gameroom. They are all 100% working give or take a bulb or switch. Please do not ask if I will separate them. Most of these are featured in the pinball compendium, 1982 to present by michael shalhoub. Lights camera action, silver slugger, vegas, deadly weapon, title fight, car hop, hoops, cactus jacks, class of 1812, surf n' safari, operation thunder, super mario bros, . Cue ball wizard, street fighter II, tee'd off, wipeout, gladiators, world challenge soccer, rescue 911, freddy, nightmare on elm street, shaq attaq, stargate, frank thomas big hurt, waterworld, mario andrettli, and barb wire.

And also, that's 26 games . Freddy, nightmare on elm street is 1 .

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

It's real. This has been listed on Mr. Pinball for awhile. We're going to be building a pinball room onto our clubhouse at our golf course. We're trying to have a variety of games, and my thought was that if these have been in a home collection, they've probably been taken care of fairly well. We want to have 30-40 machines altogether, so this caught my eye. Since the Pinside community seems to be fairly knowledgeable about games/prices, that's why I posted this. I appreciate the comments. Thanks.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Let's see, 50k / 27 = $1851 per game, how many of the games are above that in value?

I had a very nice Surf n Safari. It sold for $1800 quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more titles that are approaching the "average" in the listing. Don't get me wrong. ...there are titles in there that just plain stink.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

I had a very nice Surf n Safari. It sold for $1800 quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more titles that are approaching the "average" in the listing. Don't get me wrong. ...there are titles in there that just plain stink.

Which are the stinkers?

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

What kind of condition are they in?

#25 3 years ago

He is missing Super Mario Mushroom World ?
No Deal!

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Did you use your x-ray vision to check them out?!?

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

Which are the stinkers?

Cue Ball Wizard has the billiard balls, but it's a ramp game. Shoot the ramp, too repetitive for me.
Car Hop and Hoops were a couple of the "cheap" one level games...they are inexpensive
I almost bought a Wipeout, but after playing it...it was very crowded, I passed. It goes for around 1200.
Street Fighter II. ..

Just my opinion

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I know, I'm just:

That girl on the left is a little pasty. walking dead ??

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

I had a very nice Surf n Safari. It sold for $1800 quickly.

That was a fluke for sure.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Cue Ball Wizard has the billiard balls, but it's a ramp game. Shoot the ramp, too repetitive for me.

so many people have zero clue as to the strategy for playing these games. CBW is a ramp game if you are just trying to blow it up, but there are many other strategies to score. If anything, CBW is a bank shot drop target game. It is a very well done game with a pretty good overall ruleset and diversity of shots plus some very unique features.

#31 3 years ago

To original poster - keep in mind regardless of who you buy machines from (even if you buy new in the box) you will need repairs often. My suggestion would be to find a good repair guy in your area and talk to him about what you are planning on doing and get something set up with him ahead of time.

Don't get me wrong - sometimes a machine can be played for months without one issue but typically if you have 10 or more machines there will always be one that needs something fixed.

As far as "bulk purchase" - when you are ready you should be able to find guys selling smaller groups of machines that will work with you on a package deal. If you don't find someone fairly close to home check in with me. We are planning on selling 25 to 50 machines out of our collection very soon. I don't have a list or anything yet but I know I am getting ready to retire & do some traveling and I really don't need over 100 machines at this point in my life.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

I had a very nice Surf n Safari. It sold for $1800 quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more titles that are approaching the "average" in the listing.

I'd be very surprised. The going rate for system 3 games is 800-1100 and anything over that you'll be sitting on them forever if you are selling.

The only exceptions are Freddy (theme) and star gate (because people have somehow convinced themselves it doesn't suck).

They just aren't very good games. Bad software, crummy flippers, sub-par dot animations and tiny green displays, ridiculously huge cabinets...if you like crappy pinball, system 3 might just be right for you!

George is just trolling all of us with that mrpinball ad. Nobody, ever, would be interested in buying a complete system 3 collection, and certainly not at anywhere near his ridiculous asking figure.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

i always wondered the condition. must be a cool looking collection.

#34 3 years ago

Would $5,000 be a better offer?

#35 3 years ago

Dude would be lucky to get 25k IMO

#36 3 years ago

If the question is what *I* would pay for them, it would be like 10 grand max, because then I could sell them off piecemeal and probably make a little on it.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'd be very surprised. The going rate for system 3 games is 800-1100 and anything over that you'll be sitting on them forever if you are selling.
The only exceptions are Freddy (theme) and star gate (because people have somehow convinced themselves it doesn't suck).
They just aren't very good games. Bad software, crummy flippers, sub-par dot animations and tiny green displays, ridiculously huge cabinets...if you like crappy pinball, system 3 might just be right for you!
George is just trolling all of us with that mrpinball ad. Nobody, ever, would be interested in buying a complete system 3 collection, and certainly not at anywhere near his ridiculous asking figure.

stargate
wipeout
waterworld
super mario bro
freddy
class of 1812

here is my short list of gottlieb system 3 pins i would like to own at one point or another. after a flipper rebuild on my stargate i can honestly say i have no issues with power, smoothness, EOS, and maybe they are i little louder than williams and bally of the 90's.
thanks
blake

#38 3 years ago

I owned Stargate for a while + repaired some other Gottliebs, by far the worst part of the whole thing is stupid manual/rom thing. It all goes through PBR. Need a manual? Not online. Need a rom upgrade? Not online. So then you go to PBR who is super irritated that you don't have part numbers, but you can't get the part numbers because you don't have a manual. It's this really bizarre chicken/egg thing that I don't have to deal with when buying other games. It causes me to avoid them just so I don't have the headache. And rom upgrades are like $60 plus no information on what they actually do, so basically there are no upgrades, lol.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I owned Stargate for a while + repaired some other Gottliebs, by far the worst part of the whole thing is stupid manual/rom thing. It all goes through PBR. Need a manual? Not online. Need a rom upgrade? Not online. So then you go to PBR who is super irritated that you don't have part numbers, but you can't get the part numbers because you don't have a manual. It's this really bizarre chicken/egg thing that I don't have to deal with when buying other games. It causes me to avoid them just so I don't have the headache. And rom upgrades are like $60 plus no information on what they actually do, so basically there are no upgrades, lol.

After you own a few gottliebs, you pretty much get a feel for the parts they used. there's a lot of common parts between games, plus whatever unique toy(s) a particular game had. I've had at least one of every system type at this point. And you get good at digging up the few things that are hidden away online in out of the way places.

Quite a lot of parts are still available for Gottlieb games, so restoring them hasn't been nearly as challenging compared to other manufacturers.

Yeah, it's a shame some of the code is lacking. Many titles could have ended up being much better than they are.

Quoted from Blake:

stargate
wipeout
waterworld
super mario bro
freddy
class of 1812
here is my short list of gottlieb system 3 pins i would like to own at one point or another. after a flipper rebuild on my stargate i can honestly say i have no issues with power, smoothness, EOS, and maybe they are i little louder than williams and bally of the 90's.
thanks
blake

Deadly Weapon is an interesting title, even though it's one of the street level games. Fun/unusual layout and some decent code.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

i always wondered the condition. must be a cool looking collection.

Condition varies. Most probably hover around an 8, give or take half a point. There are a few solid 9's and 9.5's. Most of the games are domestic, but a few of them are re-imports.

Yep, it's quite a sight to see all those titles in a single place.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

After you own a few gottliebs, you pretty much get a feel for the parts they used. there's a lot of common parts between games, plus whatever unique toy(s) a particular game had. I've had at least one of every system type at this point. And you get good at digging up the few things that are hidden away online in out of the way places.
Quite a lot of parts are still available for Gottlieb games, so restoring them hasn't been nearly as challenging compared to other manufacturers.
Yeah, it's a shame some of the code is lacking. Many titles could have ended up being much better than they are.

Deadly Weapon is an interesting title, even though it's one of the street level games. Fun/unusual layout and some decent code.

With experience you get a feel for all manufacturers games. Gottlieb is the only one though that makes it a complete pain for everything. At least provide the manuals and roms like everyone else. Ordering for Williams/Bally games is like:

go to BAA, Marco's, pinball life and search.
Find part, check if it's in stock, and the price
repeat for all parts
Order it

For gottlieb it's like:

go to pbr
order manual and wait a week
look up part numbers
ask if it's in stock
ask for price
repeat for all parts
Order it

It's just painful, lol...it makes me the search engine. I actually like Gottlieb sys 3 games and avoid owning them like the plague because of it. The manual and rom thing just blows my mind, it's like if Origin was charging you $60 for patches they made to Wing Commander back in 1990, and then forbidding anyone to put the manual online and have to pay $20 to get it. If someone can give me an example of a company that charges for old manuals and doesn't allow download plus charges for 25 year old patches, I'd like to know.

#42 3 years ago

I would think he is double that price and a bulk buy, I would consider it around $18,000, as I would probably sell half for $800 each.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

With experience you get a feel for all manufacturers games. Gottlieb is the only one though that makes it a complete pain for everything. At least provide the manuals and roms like everyone else. Ordering for Williams/Bally games is like:
go to BAA, Marco's, pinball life and search.
Find part, check if it's in stock, and the price
repeat for all parts
Order it
For gottlieb it's like:
go to pbr
order manual and wait a week
look up part numbers
ask if it's in stock
ask for price
repeat for all parts
Order it
It's just painful, lol...it makes me the search engine. I actually like Gottlieb sys 3 games and avoid owning them like the plague because of it. The manual and rom thing just blows my mind, it's like if Origin was charging you $60 for patches they made to Wing Commander back in 1990, and then forbidding anyone to put the manual online and have to pay $20 to get it. If someone can give me an example of a company that charges for old manuals and doesn't allow download plus charges for 25 year old patches, I'd like to know.

Sure, there are a few extra steps involved with a PBR order. But, the prices are usually the lowest out of all the suppliers. A couple of emails back and forth and a box of parts is at my doorstep. I'm ok with that.

#44 3 years ago

Assuming I had the space and $, I would be interested... asking for a significant discount (offer $1k per game?). There are a few real turds among system 3, but they are balanced by some under appreciated games in the list.
Cheesy artwork and cheesy themes do not help. Mario Andretti illustration (Jackie Chan brother?) on the backglass is one example...
But well, if I had the complete collection, I might actually keep it for that reason!

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

We are planning on selling 25 to 50 machines out of our collection very soon. I don't have a list or anything yet but I know I am getting ready to retire & do some traveling and I really don't need over 100 machines at this point in my life.

Keep me in mind when you decide to sell. I'm right around the corner.

And congratulations on retirement!

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

But, the prices are usually the lowest out of all the suppliers.

See, I don't really know if I believe that at all. Go look at flipper rebuild kits from pbr and pinball life...pinball life is like $10 cheaper on average per kit. Now there are slight difference in the kits that might add a couple $ one way or the other, but that's a pretty hard difference to make up on something you'll need for sure on almost every game.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

See, I don't really know if I believe that at all. Go look at flipper rebuild kits from pbr and pinball life...pinball life is like $10 cheaper on average per kit. Now there are slight difference in the kits that might add a couple $ one way or the other, but that's a pretty hard difference to make up on something you'll need for sure on almost every game.

It depends on the kit you're looking at.

WPC kits, for example, are a little expensive with PBR--probably because so many additional parts are included. But, you can just order the individual parts you need, and forego some of the screws, allen wrench, capacitors, and compression springs (the early WPC kit includes both compression and return springs).

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=172

http://www.pbresource.com/rebuildkit.html#KT-WFLIP06

http://www.pbresource.com/rebuildkit.html#KT-BFLIP06

Pinball life offers both "deluxe" kits like PBR, and bare bones kits. Comparing the price of a "bare bones" kit to a "deluxe" kit isn't really an apples-to-apples price comparison.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It depends on the kit you're looking at.
WPC kits, for example, are a little expensive with PBR--probably because so many additional parts are included. But, you can just order the individual parts you need, and forego some of the screws, allen wrench, capacitors, and compression springs (the early WPC kit includes both compression and return springs).
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=172
http://www.pbresource.com/rebuildkit.html#KT-WFLIP06
http://www.pbresource.com/rebuildkit.html#KT-BFLIP06
Pinball life offers both "deluxe" kits like PBR, and bare bones kits. Comparing the price of a "bare bones" kit to a "deluxe" kit isn't really an apples-to-apples price comparison.

Even if you add in the extra parts, PBL is still cheaper. Then go to another part that you always need, rubber.

PBL - 3" rings are .59 cents for black, .69 for white
PBR - 3" rings are 1.19 for black, .93 for white

all the rest of the rubbers are the same way, compare and see.

Then usually I change out star posts a lot if they're caked with junk:

PBL - .35 cents
PBR - .50 to 1.12, depending on color

Say you need bulbs then:

PBL -- 44 and 555 bulbs, $1.10 per box
PBR -- 1.50 for the same thing

There are things that PBR is cheaper on for sure, but for the most common items usually pinball life seems like it's way cheaper. I would bet that if I were to shop out a standard 90's game with flippers, rubbers, lights, star posts, etc that going PBL would save me $20 probably. If you have a gottlieb or old EM, PBR is the way to go because they're the only ones that will have everything.

#50 3 years ago

20k would be a more reasonable asking price as almost every game Gottlieb made in this era was horrendous.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greenville, NC
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 52.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Garden City, NY
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 269.00
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside