• LE pricing 8 votes
    7%
  • I won't take it if it's free. 11 votes
    9%
  • Just take my money! 2 votes
    2%

(117 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20160412-212314_(resized).png
Screenshot_20160412-212138_(resized).png

#1 3 years ago

It's been discussed over and over which Vault Editions people are dying to see remade. After IMVE came out I think most of us assumed the price point of a SMVE would be at pro pricing or slightly higher, and a LOTRVE would probably be even higher than that(because the materials cost is assumed to be higher). Now we know what SMVE costs. If LOTR VE was given the same treatment, and the same price point, would it be more acceptable, or still too high? Maybe you would go even higher?

I'm not trying to start another "SMVE pricing is too high" thread. I just want to know what you would consider acceptable price for a LOTR VE.

Personally I would definitely buy one at pro pricing, and I would consider buying one at premium pricing if it had similar upgrades to SM.

#2 3 years ago

Ill pay whatever the F they ask since Im a loyal fanboy.

Just Messin, I don't want LOTR back again even though I still think its a great game.

#3 3 years ago

Mines perfect an never leaving, so I'm all good!!!!

#4 3 years ago

LOTR is NEVER going to be at a pro price, it's bill of materials was never at that lower level, and it won't be now.

Just look at the ORIGINAL 03 game's msrp on Stern's page today:

http://www.sternpinball.com/games/213/the-lord-of-the-rings

6500 Dollars.

that's all you need to see. if a VE were to come out the price would start there and go up.

If you don't like the fact that Stern's games from 10 years ago were Premium level material games at less than half the current premium price, then don't buy Stern games. Show them with your wallet.

#5 3 years ago

Nice try Stern

#6 3 years ago

I'm 100% in. I think I'd pay jjp prices!

#7 3 years ago

I'd pay JJP prices no problem for a NIB LOTR. Yum.

#9 3 years ago

For me, No.

#10 3 years ago

Would love to see a Lord of the Rings Vault Edition, but Premium pricing is just too much at the moment.

Since our dollar has fallen, it has been harder to justify a new in box pinball purchase, with Ghostbusters Pro being the exception. The chatter about Spiderman caught my attention. The piggy bank was ready to be cracked open, but then the price was announced. $10,650 AU. That's Premium pricing right there. Any pinball purchase over $10,000 is out of my league in what I'm willing to spend. I'd love to own a brand new Lord of the Rings, but current Premium pricing over here is just way too much.

#11 3 years ago

The pro price is already a premium price if you live here in Australia.

I would love to upgrade to a LOTR VE, but NOT for $10,650.00 which is what SM VE currently is.

#12 3 years ago

I'd pay premium price, but NOT if they implement it like SMVE was, with all LEDs and NO FADING. There's just too many damn bulb effects that would be lost. They would either have to port it to SPIKE or build it just like they did before, and support incandescent lamps so that you could at least put a LED OCD in there if you want to go that route and the game won't look like a blinky piece of crap. That was one of the nails in the coffin of SMVE for me, and I *really* wanted that game.

#13 3 years ago

I probably would take a pass, only played a few games at Expo several years ago it was fine. I hear the ball times can be very long and I don't think that's my cup of tea.

#14 3 years ago

The nail in the coffin for smve was ghostbusters coming out right afterwards. I'm in for lotr ve at around 6 with some improvements.

#15 3 years ago

I'd jump at a "non-cheapened" VE for somewhere between pro and prem pricing. If it had newer, nicer art, I'd certainly consider premium pricing. If it has a 2D Balrog or similar cost cutting though, I'll just look for a decent original instead. There seem to be plenty of nice ones still around so i dont see any reason to settle.

#16 3 years ago

I think premium price is too high for it I can understand an increase especially if they improve upon the game and add additional features but at the premium price point there are plenty of good games you can get with original themes other than a remake. That being said I would definitely be in at the price of an IMVE

#17 3 years ago

In terms of toys and game features I don't see much difference between the production cost of LOTR vs GB Pro, so I don't think the increase to premium price is justified. If anything these games should be cheaper because there are less development costs with the game already being designed and built before.

#18 3 years ago

7K is my number,now stop talking about it and go build me one!
Mike

#19 3 years ago

if i'm paying premium price, i'm buying a GB

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from fridgejam:

In terms of toys and game features I don't see much difference between the production cost of LOTR vs GB Pro, so I don't think the increase to premium price is justified. If anything these games should be cheaper because there are less development costs with the game already being designed and built before.

fact

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from fridgejam:

Metal ramps (4 sections)
magnet
2nd pf

gb has the 2 pop ups....but those metal ramps I can see costing much more.

I'm on the look out for a LOTR...at this point I'd take a routed cheaper one...but if VE is announced I could be persuaded if it was at or below 5500 (not their msrp)

#22 3 years ago

Depends on what it comes with. If it is upgraded to SAM or spike with better sound, hi def art decals, LED's, new trim with button protectors, a shaker, and new figure sculptures I would be fine with premium pricing. Start removing anything from the list above and I get less and less fine with premium pricing

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Jojo1111:

Just look at the ORIGINAL 03 game's msrp on Stern's page today:
http://www.sternpinball.com/games/213/the-lord-of-the-rings
6500 Dollars.

I thought this was an "updated" price Stern changed on their website?

#24 3 years ago

Also confused by the $6500 on their website. What was the original run MSRP, and the LE? Maybe that is the LE? Seems high for 2009.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Also confused by the $6500 on their website. What was the original run MSRP, and the LE? Maybe that is the LE? Seems high for 2009.

Yeah they didn't even have LEs back then...Avaturd was the first.

#26 3 years ago

Although it's a great game, there's a lot of them, and they seem to change hands a fair bit. I did not have too much trouble finding mine, and have seen about 3 sell locally in the last year.

Still really pleased I got it and don't intend to let it go, but that's probably what everyone says in their first year of ownership.

I imagine LOTR is lower on the list of potential VE. Tron seems a way more likely candidate.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah they didn't even have LEs back then...Avaturd was the first.

Think they called the 2009 re-run an "LE"... that's what I meant...

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Think they called the 2009 re-run an "LE"... that's what I meant...

Ah did not know that.

#29 3 years ago

The MSRP for LOTR in 2003 was $4295. I know for a fact these sold for $3500 or less.

http://www.theorlandobloomfiles.com/newsnov03.shtml

Quoted from TheLaw:

I thought this was an "updated" price Stern changed on their website?

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from fridgejam:

In terms of toys and game features I don't see much difference between the production cost of LOTR vs GB Pro, so I don't think the increase to premium price is justified.

Same could have been said of SMVE, yet it came out at premium pricing, so that is what I would expect again. There's really no reason not to.

Quoted from jgentry:

Depends on what it comes with. If it is upgraded to SAM or spike with better sound,

Stern already announced that this will not happen. All remakes get the same boards they originally had. Probably the biggest reason you won't see LOTRVE, since I would find it difficult to believe there is a stockpile of old Whitestar boards for them to use for it. Of course they could have been lying when they said that.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'd pay premium price, but NOT if they implement it like SMVE was, with all LEDs and NO FADING. There's just too many damn bulb effects that would be lost. They would either have to port it to SPIKE or build it just like they did before, and support incandescent lamps so that you could at least put a LED OCD in there if you want to go that route and the game won't look like a blinky piece of crap. That was one of the nails in the coffin of SMVE for me, and I *really* wanted that game.

Agreed -- if they're going to remake LOTR they need to pay attention to the lighting. LOTR looks like garbage with cool white LEDs, and needs fade effects for the light show. They could use the original individual lamp system, or use light boards but include software that reasonably emulates the fading effects (if MMR can do it, so can Stern). Especially if the LEDs are not swappable, it's key that they use warm white instead of their standard cool white!

If they're able to remake it with LEDs that reasonably emulate the original lighting, higher print quality on the playfield and plastics, and hopefully improved sound quality, that'd be well worth premium pricing to me, and I'd definitely consider it for my first NIB machine. If the lighting is worse and the sound is unimproved, then I'd rather buy a decent original for substantially less.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Stern already announced that this will not happen. All remakes get the same boards they originally had. Probably the biggest reason you won't see LOTRVE, since I would find it difficult to believe there is a stockpile of old Whitestar boards for them to use for it. Of course they could have been lying when they said that.

I wouldn't bet the farm on them sticking to this. If they can get the LOTR license renewed (big question mark) and see demand (clearly there) why wouldn't they port to SPIKE if they thought it made financial and logistical sense? Of course if they've got old Whitestar boards lying around, or can have more fabricated cost effectively, that would be the obvious way to go (though as I understand it, LOTRVE on Whitestar would kill the dream of higher quality voice samples).

But it's hard to imagine they'd let the issue of which board to use hold them back if the licensing can be worked out.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Same could have been said of SMVE, yet it came out at premium pricing, so that is what I would expect again. There's really no reason not to.

Except that LOTR is a little more interesting case: for the re-run LEs the driver board was already updated to SAM. So it's maybe not quite as far-fetched, but I'm still skeptical too.

#34 3 years ago

As little as possible. Just like any other machine. I always feel polls like this are created by someone from Stern to get feelers in the market and see what people are willing to pay.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

for the re-run LEs the driver board was already updated to SAM.

That appears to be true, so they would still have to update the Whitestar MPU. I'm not sure how difficult that would be.

#36 3 years ago

If Stern does go the VE route with the LOTR, then most likely it will be closer to the LE version than the standard version, of course updated with the current Stern boards and LEDs. And if the art package was updated too, then a premium pricing structure would make sense. It would also protect the pricing for the original LOTRs.

#37 3 years ago

Upgraded sound is a must. Truly that would make it a must buy. I could see paying $8k for a nib with upgraded sound (the only real flaw in the original imo).

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

The MSRP for LOTR in 2003 was $4295. I know for a fact these sold for $3500 or less.
http://www.theorlandobloomfiles.com/newsnov03.shtml

Seems pretty much about the same to me. With the $500 spike price increase.

LOTR LE was $6499 NEW.

Screenshot_20160412-212138_(resized).png
Screenshot_20160412-212314_(resized).png

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Seems pretty much about the same to me.

Screenshot_20160412-212138_(resized).pngScreenshot_20160412-212314_(resized).png

But was their initial 4300 msrp, or what distributors charged?

MSRP on GB isn't what a customer pays Be a lot less.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

But was their initial 4300 msrp, or what distributors charged?
MSRP on GB isn't what a customer pays Be a lot less.

The msrp was $4299. Calculating inflation
That means the MSRP was $5622 in today's dollars.

GB MSRP is $5995.

So basically the same MSRP. As a Stern pro.
Yes people get them for less but the msrp is really the same since Stern raised the price $500 on spike. The msrp on ST was $5499 when it was released.

The LOTR LE
Limited Edition version of Stern's 2003 'The Lord of the Rings'.

Here are the factory changes that differentiate the LE version from the original version:

• The backglass is real glass (not a translite) with a mirrored gold effect.
• Extra clearcoats on playfield.
• 'Armies of Middle Earth' plastic figures were not used. Therefore, no mounting holes exist in the playfield plastics for them.
• Playfield is signed by Gary Stern and George Gomez.
• "Gold" trim. The lockdown bar, legs, hinges, and side rails are plated and polished. Gold trim around the backbox.
• Game has the option to add a Shaker Motor.
• Leg bolts and hinge bolts are brass plated.
• The speaker panel has a "500 Game Limited Edition" plate and gold painted grills.
• Certificate of Authenticity signed by Gary Stern.

This game has the option to add a Shaker Motor which had not been the case for the original LOTR game. Lonnie Ropp confirmed to us that he added the Shaker Code to the original Code and it had been 'secured' with a new PAL chip version.

MSRP when new: $6,499.00

$8035 in today's dollars.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from erak:

The msrp was $4299. Calculating inflation
That means the MSRP was $5622 in today's dollars.
GB MSRP is $5995.
So basically the same MSRP. As a Stern pro.
Yes people get them for less but the msrp is really the same since Stern raised the price $500 on spike. The msrp on ST was $5499 when it was released.
The LOTR LE
Limited Edition version of Stern's 2003 'The Lord of the Rings'.
Here are the factory changes that differentiate the LE version from the original version:
• The backglass is real glass (not a translite) with a mirrored gold effect.
• Extra clearcoats on playfield.
• 'Armies of Middle Earth' plastic figures were not used. Therefore, no mounting holes exist in the playfield plastics for them.
• Playfield is signed by Gary Stern and George Gomez.
• "Gold" trim. The lockdown bar, legs, hinges, and side rails are plated and polished. Gold trim around the backbox.
• Game has the option to add a Shaker Motor.
• Leg bolts and hinge bolts are brass plated.
• The speaker panel has a "500 Game Limited Edition" plate and gold painted grills.
• Certificate of Authenticity signed by Gary Stern.
This game has the option to add a Shaker Motor which had not been the case for the original LOTR game. Lonnie Ropp confirmed to us that he added the Shaker Code to the original Code and it had been 'secured' with a new PAL chip version.
MSRP when new: $6,499.00
$8035 in today's dollars.

Oh yeah, If both were msrp then not soo bad.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside