(Topic ID: 53395)

What would you pay for a Capcom Kingpin Drop in Kit?

By vegemite_nick

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What would you pay for a Capcom Kingpin Kit?”

• Up to $3,000.00 33 votes
    55%
  • Up to $5,000.00 18 votes
    30%
  • Up to $7,000.00 4 votes
    7%
  • More than $7,000.00 5 votes
    8%

(60 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vegemite_nick.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Assuming Gene had the resources and will, how much would you pay for a kit that would allow you to convert a PM or Airborne (or even a FF with some extra cabinet work) to a Kingpin? Assume the kit comes with -

1. Translite;
2. Cabinet Art;
3. ROM chips;
4. Fully populated and wired playfield (ie direct swap and drop in ready to go).

This would take the whole project away from worries about the problem chip, and indeed any board set issues at all.

Perhaps factor in the cost of the base game when you decide your figure.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

I would have Doug Huse or a local carpenter extraordinaire by the name of Chris Spaseff build me a cabinet is the answer. PM and AB are WAY too good to sacrifice. I sold my BBB and don't miss it much. PM and AB? You can bury me in either one.

Agree with PM, top game. Disagree BBB - won't be selling mine.

Cabinet is not really the issue though, it was more a thought on the avoidance of the board set.

#8 10 years ago

Surprised at how little many people would be prepared to pay. Perhaps it was fortunate Gene didn't go ahead?

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

AFAIK, Mark in AU still has extra board-sets, minus the CPU board. So, combine a set with what Marco kept, and you're there.
I know I'm sitting on a complete set, plus an extra driver board. Stupid, really, since I haven't had to do anything to my games in the past 3-5 years of ownership other than re-flowing a couple SIP resistors on the switch input board of my PM. Not too shabby.
In terms of the OPs concept, I'd love a drop-in but like Greg said, I wouldn't *permanently* alter my cabinet just to get to play KP. Give me the PF and Translite, and I'd be a happy camper.

Same here, I have plenty of spares and if a kit was made would have no trouble making up the rest.

I just think this game is, from the accounts I have read, a very good one. It certainly seems like fun on pinmame. Add that Capcom playability to the mix and I can understand why some that have played it have mentioned they think it even better than BBB.

#12 10 years ago

Only 25 votes, and most for $3k. I wonder if this is more due to

the lack of overall interest in this game,

The lack of interest in doing a conversion (even if a relatively simple 'drop in'),

Complacency given the marginally improved Stern offerings of late and the new manufacturers?

Something else?

Given the likely stratospheric price an original would command and the value on the repro BBBs, I would have thought more interest would exist.

Looks like I may as well change my avatar!!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Only 25 votes cause only 8 exist and majority of the group has never seen one never mind played one

You're probably right. Thought owners of other capcoms, especially the repro BBBs would have been interested though.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

I guess either Kingpin or BBB drop in kit would easily be more than $4K given that you can still find Airborne in the sub-2K range.

Duane

So Airborne + kit at say $5K = $7,000.00. Pretty cheap really I would have thought for either KP or BBB.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The thing that gets me is if they can do a kit for the game why not just run the full production? It is just like Pinlawyer says, a good carpenter can make the cabinet simple enough . . . that is literally the easiest thing about pin manufacturing.

Its the boards, specifically the CPU, not the cabinet. The idea of a kit is to get around that.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Received a reply: "Already received a much higher offer, but thanks." This baby is going to sell, probably in the $50's, from what little I can tell.

Wow!! I'd love this game, but that is just crazy, no game is that much fun!! The rarity really makes this a special game though. Let's hope Gene (or some subsequent rights holder) gets something done, full game or drop in conversion kit, either way.

1 week later
#34 10 years ago

I wonder what a full repro game or a kit would sell for given the recent near $60K sale of one of the protos?

#44 10 years ago

I guess my thoughts about a kit were that it removes the chip issue, and with 3,300 machines capable of being donors originally built (although unsure how many survive, but you'd think a high proportion), 200 or 300 kits would not devastate the remaining population of PM, FF and Airbornes. Add to that people like me with a full spare board set who would not even need to do a conversion.

They could even be done without boards, allowing a swap in or use of spares etc. It just seems to me that the suggested kit version could be done profitably, perhaps with as much profit as a full game given the desirability of the title.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vegemite_nick.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-you-pay-for-a-capcom-kingpin-drop-in-kit?tu=vegemite_nick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.