Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Everyone at sometime has a little light bulb moment when they think of an idea or widget that would make life easier but they don't necessarily know how to push it through to an end product.
    Hopefully if people post their ideas someone will be able to come up with a way to put it into practice. (We may also come up with a load of guff)

To get things started, my idea came about when having to strip down ramps on a DM just to clean round the back orbits. No matter what long nose forceps I used I just couldn't get rid of the ball trails. What if someone invented a furry ball which could be soaked in cleaner and then just flipped round the table picking up all the crap from the hard to reach places (subways, behind orbits etc.) without having to dismantle the whole game. When done simply substitute back in standard balls and you're ready to go again.

What do you think? There must be someone who can adapt/improve the idea to come up with a workable prototype.

#3 8 years ago

If this was a basement topic, I would state what I would invent.

#4 8 years ago

Forceflow, I've seen that thread, and posted on it, I'm more looking for suggestions that people have but haven't been able to build, rather than items people have already built and use.
    Hopefully the collective minds of Pinside will be able to help others half garbled ideas, like a fur ball for cleaning machines!

#5 8 years ago

Here is one. How about a little cheater harness, that goes between the board and the existing wiring harness in areas that are notorious for needing re-pinning. These are common on old Bally and Stern games, as well as other areas.
    The thing is, the cheater would have special terminals that really bite. If you could eliminate the need for all that re-pinning, that would be quite a time saver and it would seem to be quite marketable for that reason. I should add that this would be useless for cold or cracked solder on board pins, but if the problem was loosely gripping plugs, this would work well in that case.

#6 8 years ago

Every game needs an individualized coil fuse board. How many times have you found a coil hot and toasty? The coil got so hot from a locked on transistor or misadjusted switch that it shorted that circuit and possibly melted some plastics or did this:

Quoted from chad:

From what I was told not too long but it could have been worse!!
    I think coils in teds eyes or jaw locked on and unfortunately fuse no blow. No damage to the circuit boards.
    Chad

image.jpgimage.jpg

A fuse board that connects between the solenoid harness and the driver board would be ideal. The existing fuses in the game are rated high enough to withstand a 5 minute multiball session, but cannot protect against a single failed coil. People have individually fused the three magnets in The Addams Family because they were overheating and ruining playfields. There is even a kit for this! Why stop there? Bally 6803 games do this for individual flashers, but not coils that I know of.

#7 8 years ago

^^^
    that's one of the saddest pictures I've seen

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Every game needs an individualized coil fuse board. How many times have you found a coil hot and toasty? The coil got so hot from a locked on transistor or misadjusted switch that it shorted that circuit and possibly melted some plastics or did this:

image.jpg
    A fuse board that connects between the solenoid harness and the driver board would be ideal. The existing fuses in the game are rated high enough to withstand a 5 minute multiball session, but cannot protect against a single failed coil. People have individually fused the three magnets in The Addams Family because they were overheating and ruining playfields. There is even a kit for this! Why stop there? Bally 6803 games do this for individual flashers, but not coils that I know of.

Gottlieb system 80 and system 3 games put fuses on the playfields for the coils. You might be able to follow that example.

#9 8 years ago

Whenever I remove a backglass or playfield glass, I have a tough time finding a safe place to set it while I work on the machine. I've been considering making a holder...a simple tripod with two or three crossmembers that could hold a backglass and a playfield glass. Kind of like a painting easel, but instead of placing your painting canvas on it, you could put a backglass (resting on the lower crossmember, just a few inches off the floor) with a playfield glass in front.
    The crossmembers would have some sort of padding so that the glasses don't get scratched.
    The deluxe model would fold up for easy storage or to take to shows.

If anyone decides to build these, just send me one and I won't charge royalties.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

What if someone invented a furry ball which could be soaked in cleaner and then just flipped round the table picking up all the crap from the hard to reach places (subways, behind orbits etc.) without having to dismantle the whole game.

A pinball-sized Roomba would be adorable.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

image.jpg

LOL! I thought that was an elaborate mod

#12 8 years ago

Fully functional self replicating nanobots.....oh you meant pinball related, hmmm.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Fully functional self replicating nanobots.....

WTF MAN?!?!

#14 8 years ago

What? They would change the world! Done right they would make our world a utopia.....done wrong they would destroy the entire planet in no time flat.......I'll roll those dice.

#15 8 years ago

I'm thinking less like exocomps, more like Borg. I don't trust it!

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm thinking less like exocomps, more like Borg. I don't trust it!

Stargate Replicators?

#17 8 years ago

A brace to go underneath the rear of a Stern playfield when it is up on the service rails so that it can sit level, but up and clear of the cabinet, and be stable.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Stargate Replicators?

Oh crap, nice one. Totally forgot aboot that shiz right there. I miss the end of SG-1 & Atlantis...good times.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from yendor0:

Whenever I remove a backglass or playfield glass, I have a tough time finding a safe place to set it while I work on the machine. I've been considering making a holder...a simple tripod with two or three crossmembers that could hold a backglass and a playfield glass. Kind of like a painting easel, but instead of placing your painting canvas on it, you could put a backglass (resting on the lower crossmember, just a few inches off the floor) with a playfield glass in front.
    The crossmembers would have some sort of padding so that the glasses don't get scratched.
    If anyone decides to build these, just send me one and I won't charge royalties.

You could make this out of PVC.
    If one did, it could be shipped with assembly required, and a sellable/profitable business model is possible.

Good idea!

#20 8 years ago

In game ball cleaner, actually drew something up.

#21 8 years ago

A time machine and go back and buy more machines NIB before things got completely out of hand. Around 1972 would be my preferred start date, not 1998, like some might guess.

Honestly though, I have made plenty of one time tools to fix and restore machines, sometimes for a single purpose. Ratcheting nutdriver for example, long before it was available.

#22 8 years ago

The electric turbo charger.

#23 8 years ago

Would be nice to have a small size board that would fit say on the side of the back box with a wire harness with fuse like connectors that clip in the fuse holders of a board, and replace the fuses with mini circuit breakers. This would save purchasing fuses, and the "lets stick in a 10 amp fuse instead of a 1 amp." Or gobbling up four or five fuses chasing a problem.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from yendor0:

I just put the glass on carpet, on a scrap piece of carpeting, or a towel and lean it up against a wall. I think I have a stack of about 15 pieces of glass leaning up like this (with padding between each glass).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-you-invent and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.