(Topic ID: 168298)

What would you have done different in your collecting career?

By Rondogg

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by MeNaCeFiRe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hindsight being 20/20 and all...

#2 3 years ago

Not waiting until I was 44 to start collecting.

#3 3 years ago

EM machines are fun...but I wish we wouldn't have gotten so many to start

#4 3 years ago

Team Not Waiting So Long To Start!

Also should have asked my dad to teach me more about electronics when I was a kid. He never thought to show my sisters and I that sort of stuff, but he would have gladly shown me if I asked. Instead I used his multimeter when I played hospital with my stuffed animals. Clear!!!

#5 3 years ago

Wish I started sooner and wish I never sold any.
    I enjoy hoarding them now

#6 3 years ago

Eh, there are machines that I can no longer justify due to the higher prices. Flipside is that I have gotten to play a bunch of different machines and develop my own taste.

Sold my LOTR (pending payment) today. One of the offers I got was for a nice TOM. I hadn't realized they had gone up in value and it was an even trade, but the logic to me seems odd. TOM is a beautiful machine, but a poor player. It is ranked lower than LOTR albeit still highly regarded. They made many many more, but why pay the same? Collector logic in this hobby baffles me anymore.

If I would do anything over I'd ignore the top 100 and seek out less regarded titles. So many machines just are not nearly all they are hyped up to be.

#7 3 years ago

Gotten in on a BBB for 4500.....

#8 3 years ago

Nothing. I try to move forward and not backward. No regrets.

#9 3 years ago

Would not have taken a job "in pinball"...

#10 3 years ago

No preorders or early unfinished purchases.

#11 3 years ago

Would have started with a bigger house 20 years ago. Now looking for one big enough to house all 43 of them.

#12 3 years ago

Probably should've waited on my first pin until I bought the house. I was so determined to buy a pinball machine that I never considered the logistics of space in my old apartment. I found an operator selling a Sega Twister for a decent price and made headway into clearing up the spare room to fit the machine. I figured the height and if it would fit through the door.

Never considered either stairway going up to the 2nd floor though. I bought the machine and had help trying to bring it upstairs to the 2nd floor (of the 2 family residence). Tried both stairways leading up to the apartment before realizing there was no way I was able to bring the machine up either way. I was crushed. I had to store the pin in my parents basement a town over where it sat for 2 years until I purchased my current home.

#13 3 years ago

Bought a $300 Gottlieb Palace Guard somebody sniped me on at York quicker. Back then I thought EMs were useless (I now specialize in repair on them and own 14 or something like that) but I still wanted a pinball machine on impulse and it actually would have been a pretty great deal surprisingly.

Other than that little detail, nothing really. I don't have many regrets.

#14 3 years ago

Becoming an owner & not just an enthusiast sooner.

#15 3 years ago

Not a lot
    My collection has evolved over the years, I like the games I own

Maybe bought the Space Shuttle way back when, but the playfield was trashed (it was only 2 or 3 years old )

#16 3 years ago

Keep 4 spots open no matter what, don't just fill every possible spot with a lifetime keeper.

4 spots are for:

1) upgrade: 2 for 1 frankenstein cabinet/playfield swaps for that best upgrade. You might need that spot for months to ship a playfield out for touchup + clear.
    2) babysit: babysitting a friend's pin you've been coveting for a few months or years
    3) barn find: quick grabbing a cheap beater that you need to fix from the ground up; it may need a backglass or playfield or other slow-to-find part
    4) rotation pin: grabbing that pin you know you'll sell at cost, but you just had to play it a few months

-mof

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

Now looking for one big enough to house all 43 of them

I'd like to own 43 some day, and have them all up and running. What's your formula for searching for Sq. feet per pin, to help you decide on your desired Sq ft overall? Like 1600 sq. ft. for living, 1600 sq. ft. for pins?

#18 3 years ago

Not keeping a BoP I got for $250

Selling Tron and LotR too quickly.

#19 3 years ago

Less collecting and more restoring.

#20 3 years ago

Bigger workshop.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Bought a $300 Gottlieb Palace Guard somebody sniped me on at York quicker. Back then I thought EMs were useless (I now specialize in repair on them and own 14 or something like that) but I still wanted a pinball machine on impulse and it actually would have been a pretty great deal surprisingly.
    Other than that little detail, nothing really. I don't have many regrets.

You are too young to have regrets!

#22 3 years ago

Been medically diagnosed with OCD! Meds may have controlled my obsession to this day...or not!

#23 3 years ago

Not a whole lot except keep most the pins i bought the past 3 years bc prices have gone crazy this year

#24 3 years ago

Reading the ratings on IPDB and actually believing them.

#25 3 years ago

Buy more NIB machines in the 1980s.
    If you are old enough, you will understand why.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

You are too young to have regrets!

Very true. Hate the missed pin sales though, but those are little. But man, they sure can bug me.

There's a project grail-pin on CL across the country for very cheap (<$200), but only an hour away from another machine I have waiting to be shipped at a Pinsider's house and I asked the shipper and it's only $30[!] extra to ship another game coast to coast with the other one. My regret right now is not getting another job to afford transporting that thing over to the other machine! $30! Feels like pouring salt in a cut, lol.

#27 3 years ago

I miss almost every machine I've sold. Most missed? The near mint condition Party Zone with perfect ramps and play field /sigh.

#28 3 years ago

Got in when AFM was $3000 and BSD was $800 a mere 7 years ago....

#29 3 years ago

bought more games 5+ years ago before the pinside hype train sent prices out of control.

#30 3 years ago

Wish I bought a bigger house,2000sq ft house isn't enough room for my personal home arcade.
    Mike

#31 3 years ago

I wish I would have kept my Robotron and Time Pilot instead of donating them to a youth center which got rid of them. Probably went to the trash but nobody knows. Spent $200 for the pair 10 years ago. I wish I would have started collecting pins back then.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Robotron and Time Pilot instead of donating them to a youth center which got rid of them. Probably went to the trash

Got rid of! Trash! Holy crap!
    Mike

#33 3 years ago

Wish I would have hopped on the Bally early SS train sooner.....such great games from that era

#34 3 years ago

Should've had a walk out basement

#35 3 years ago

Passing on buying that shopped out $800 HUO look like new Stern Stars 10 years ago.

#36 3 years ago

Wished I would have waited to buy my first pin, spent more time playing a variety of games before committing.

#37 3 years ago

That I passed on the local $800 Eight Ball Deluxe a couple of years ago, even more so that I told a buddy about it & he bought it. Doh!

Now it sits, unloved in his "restore" pile - the damn thing works Humph, clean it up & let's play it!

#38 3 years ago

Bought a pinball lift a LOT sooner.

#39 3 years ago

Wish I got started earlier when prices were lower

#40 3 years ago

Not bought so many EM's and flipped machines years ago. I could have made a lot of $.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Wish I got started earlier when prices were lower

I wonder if people will be saying the same thing 10 years from now referring to 2016?

#42 3 years ago

I wish I started earlier as well. Had money and space but wasn't even thinking about pinball. Got in right at the peak.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Sold my LOTR (pending payment) today. One of the offers I got was for a nice TOM. I hadn't realized they had gone up in value and it was an even trade, but the logic to me seems odd. TOM is a beautiful machine, but a poor player. It is ranked lower than LOTR albeit still highly regarded. They made many many more, but why pay the same? Collector logic in this hobby baffles me anymore.

I don't know, Mr. Pinball has LoTR at ~6230 machines made and an average price of $5800. ToM is ~6500 units at $5650. Seems kind of logical to me.

#44 3 years ago

Gotten out before that bubble burst. You know, the one I've been hearing about since the turn of the millennium.

#46 3 years ago

No regrets! Anything I have sold in the past I can find again. Sure, it might cost more but that's life!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 89.99
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 209.99
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Other
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 248.85
    $ 157.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside