• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by LongJohns
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Happy New Year!

Just wondering what to do here. I have the top of the playfield stripped right now in the shopping of a DE Star Wars and have a number of inserts that you can feel are raised, less than a sheet of paper to barely noticeable. I tried clamping them down with no luck nor any luck with a block and a hammer. Just wondering whether its worth risk to heat an try more for so little?

Thanks
IBJ

#2 10 years ago

I personally wouldn't try the hammer and block without heating insert from the backside first.

#3 10 years ago

I do this for cupped inserts a well. Heat with heat gun from below and use your metal block. I don't think you really need the hammer. Just press hard and the heat dissipation from the metal block will reset the glue in seconds.(on CUPPED inserts, i use a custom metal die underneath in tandem with the block on top.)

#4 10 years ago

I had many raised inserts on a Funhouse I recently restored, this Pinside thread was very helpful:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leveling-inserts

#5 10 years ago

Put a playfield protector on it, problem solved.

#6 10 years ago

I have heated and pressed inserts in before but my DE Star Wars was a different story. Those inserts would not budge even with heat. I was concerned enough that I stopped messing with them. With all the graphics over them, if you mess it up you just can't order a new insert to put in. I put a Mylar square over the edge of the insert to protect the paint for now and will maybe try again sometime.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I have heated and pressed inserts in before but my DE Star Wars was a different story. Those inserts would not budge even with heat. I was concerned enough that I stopped messing with them. With all the graphics over them, if you mess it up you just can't order a new insert to put in. I put a Mylar square over the edge of the insert to protect the paint for now and will maybe try again sometime.

This is my worry, I have really hit these hard with a hmwpe block and nada. This tells me that they did not move from glue separation. I really thought I would break one. but no movement. Looking closely at the insert it looks like there is a whole bunch of glue and no separation. I am worried that heating the inserts could damage them and am thinking that maybe to leave them alone. Only other thing would be to clearcoat it and sand between coats until the ridges are gone but thats its own beast.

#8 10 years ago

If you have a scanner, scan and make your own decals. But I would Mylar like lonzo said and deal with it later or never.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Put a playfield protector on it, problem solved.

I ended up doing this with my F14 - I leveled some of them but heating them. I actually removed them, sanded and glued back in. but most of the 'arrow' head inserts had cracks and I didn't want to risk completely breaking them as there are not any replacements available that I could find. Most of these were barely raised (did try heating and pressing some down). Applied a couple coats of clear with decals and then decided on trying out one of the playfield protectors as I didn't want to mess with adding anymore coats of clear.

In hind site I probably should have pressed on with more coats of clear to level the surface (did have an issue at one point with the clear and didn't want to fuss with it anymore (or make a really big mess of it)), but the protector seems to work just fine as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
PinSound

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-you-do-raised-playfield-inserts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.