(Topic ID: 150436)

What would you do? (Keep ST or go for GOT)

By 85vett

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Tuna_Delight
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

9c3a8dbfcf3a9f645e992175cc5be894cc2fe329_(resized).jpg
IMG_6761_(resized).jpg
IMG_6754_(resized).JPG
IMG_6750_(resized).JPG
IMG_6749_(resized).JPG
IMG_6748_(resized).JPG
IMG_6747_(resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

I'm struggling with this one. I have a modded out ST Pro that I love to look at but not so much play anymore. It kind of bores me at the point that I will only play it maybe once a month. It's one of my wife's favorite games thus why it has stayed where it's at vs being sold. Well... I went and showed my wife GOT LE (she collects dragons) that our local arcade picked up and she fell in love with it because of the theme, game play and artwork (cab). I really enjoyed the game but I am a bit concerned about it's longevity for me.

So, I got a quote today for an LE and the prem and I was pretty surprised at the price difference between the LE and Prem ($1400). I'm having a hard time justifying the extra $1400 as I don't really care about the limitedness of the game. We just prefer the art of it as my wife and I both like the Premium PF but we both absolutely hate the cab and trans-light. I just told her what the cost difference was and the response I got was "I still like the LE ).

So, I was pretty comfortable selling ST and putting up a little more than $2K on top of it for GOT but am having a hard time giving up ST plus nearly $4K on top of it for GOT so now I'm thinking about just keeping ST...

Money doesn't grow on trees for me and is much tighter now than it used to be (still can afford either at this point) thus why we would sell a game to get GOT. What would you do?

- Keep Star Trek - Game I don't really enjoy but wife likes and keep the cash
- Buy an LE - Game my wife will love but the cost exceeds it's value (to me)
- Go for a Prem - Could very well mean that GOT is no longer an option

#2 3 years ago

EDIT: Nevermind, can't relate

#3 3 years ago

I would buy the LE, it is what you really want and you will probably be able to recoup most of your investment anyway when you sell, the price is relative if you can afford it get it...

#4 3 years ago

Had to update the last part. Going for the premium very likely could mean that GOT is not an option (due to the cab and trans-light art) as she's it not open to it. I'd go prem if it was just me.

Quoted from TheLaw:

You could also stop heavily modding your games and you won't have such an emotional attatchment to them. I love my MET, but I don't play it a ton like your ST so I'll sell it soon; in and out.

For ST it's more of a code issue. It would have been sold a year ago if it wasn't one my wife favorites and she always veto's it when I try to move it along. I know it's different but I still feel like I'm doing the same thing for the whole game. I know most love that game but I just can't get into it anymore.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Had to update the last part. Going for the premium very likely could mean that GOT is not an option (due to the cab and trans-light art).

For ST it's more of a code issue. I know it's different but I still feel like I'm doing the same thing for the whole game.

With your update I would just say you might want to sell your ST, and not get GOT...or wait to sell it. I enjoy GOT more right now, but paying that much more for better looking side art is just crazy man. ST + 4K for side art...wow.

#6 3 years ago

I would sell the ST since it doesn't do anything for you anymore and start saving for a Hobbit Smaug edition, the dragon looks much cooler than GOT, in my opinion.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

With your update I would just say you might want to sell your ST, and not get GOT...or wait to sell it. I enjoy GOT more right now, but paying that much more for better looking side art is just crazy man. ST + 4K for side art...wow.

Glad you came back as your comments made sense before your edit.

It's more along the lines of:

ST+ $2Kish for a game I'll enjoy more. Then $1400 more for art.

#8 3 years ago

You can stuff the premium between your other pins and not worry about the cab art then buy T-800 translite with lots of dragons.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-of-thrones-fan-art-wip

#9 3 years ago

If you were talking about STLE, I'd say keep that because it's such a beautifully done machine. But I'd drop the ST and get a GOT LE simply because the game play is so much better. You'll always be able to find another ST down the road, I think (although if you want it back, you should hold out for an STLE to become available).

#10 3 years ago

If I had a game that my wife liked, I'd keep it at all cost. If I were in your shoes, I'd keep ST and get her a dragon theme game. Doesn't have to be GoT. I get that you don't like ST, but having a wife that is into pinball is awesome.

Way out there, but what getting an Interflip Dragon? They aren't a ton of money and it's a great EM.

#11 3 years ago

I'm in a similar situation, only I have a STLE. I've been trying to play more ST to get into it, but the code seems flat.

I have not played GOT yet, I've heard mixed reviews, so obviously I'm going to have to find one to play before I make any decision.

I'm considering TWD also or wait for the next Lyman coded game.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

Way out there, but what getting an Interflip Dragon? They aren't a ton of money and it's a great EM.

They aren't? Where are they...I'd love one.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm considering TWD also

I think this is a better move and what I decided to do. They have been making these for well over a year now and there may not be too many runs left on it. With the much praised new code out, people are going to revisit this game again and find that they want one. I'm thinking its going to be one of those games where people miss out on the final runs and we will almost immediately hear all the normal moaning and groaning about needed to run a VE for it. They just started shipping GoT a few months ago, so I'm betting that you can still get these NIB 18 months from now, though not an LE.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm in a similar situation, only I have a STLE. I've been trying to play more ST to get into it, but the code seems flat.
I have not played GOT yet, I've heard mixed reviews, so obviously I'm going to have to find one to play before I make any decision.
I'm considering TWD also or wait for the next Lyman coded game.

You should diffidently play it first. It's got good flow like ST thus why I think my wife enjoys it but has rules that better meet my style of game. I would be lying if I didn't say that I think that TWD Prem/LE is the better of the two games. If it was all up to me I'd sell ST and get an X-men or TWD but this is more about my wife since ST is her game and GOT would primarily be her game.

#15 3 years ago

So everyone knows how much i love STLE; but simply put, i'd rather keep my GOT PRO more than my STLE. I dont know if thats cause ive had STLE for 2+ years, but i have more fun and enjoy the gameplay/rules more on GOT than i do ST.

I cant speak for GOTLE, however, as i havent played one. But after reading all the issues, i'd certainly wait it out another few months and see. I'd also wait to see where they go with the code on the LE too, as far as i understand, the mini pf only serves one purpose - castle multiball. I could be wrong, and i hope to play an LE/Prem soon as it may be the first pin where i must have both versions.

As for TWD, its a players players pin! there's nothing friendly about it. Theme isnt friendly, sounds arent friendly, art isnt friendly, etc... It's for hardcore players who like the theme. It's both frustrating and exhilarating. I contemplate selling mine cause we have a 3 year old, but im a big zombie and TWD fan so its sticking around awhile longer.

#16 3 years ago

I've previously owned STLE, and currently have GOTLE. I'd recommend GOT, either LE or Pro. If the dragons are a big deal, get a Pro, and add the Topper!

#17 3 years ago

Never sell a game the wife likes: My IJ4 sits over there taking up room, waiting patiently on her to play it 6x a year.

I went through a similar choice as you are going through. I wanted a fantasy-themed-something in the collection. GOT Pro seemed too similar in shots to my ST for my liking but I don't want to part with it. (Wish I had bought an LE, honestly). GOTLE was different enough in play but I was personally concerned with the playfield quality (softness), since my ST Premium dimpled at an alarming rate, it seemed super-soft compared to my older / heavier stern games.

I ended up going with a Hobbit order after playing one at a show. I liked the GOTLE play too and I'm watching patiently as a well-wisher hoping they hold up well and that the fun-o-meter stays pegged to awesome for GOT.. Good luck in your decision, these are good problems!

#18 3 years ago

Sell the ST. Pros can be purchased again with little worry about price going up for quite a while. Lots of st pros out there.

If your on a budget, get GOT pro. It's a fun game and easier to recoup your money if you sell.

I feel the same way about the premium art and would definitely choose the LE over it. That being said, I'm probably going to pass all together and get GB.

#19 3 years ago

I own a heavily modded ST Premium and have played a GoT LE on location numerous times now. While the GoT is fun and very challenging, it hasn't overwhelmed me enough to make me seriously consider selling my ST to get one.

That's just my personal preference though. In your case, given all the factors you've stated, I would recommend that you sell your ST Pro and go for a GoT LE.

#20 3 years ago

I'd take GOT Premium over LE regardless of price.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So everyone knows how much i love STLE; but simply put, i'd rather keep my GOT PRO more than my STLE. I dont know if thats cause ive had STLE for 2+ years, but i have more fun and enjoy the gameplay/rules more on GOT than i do ST.
I cant speak for GOTLE, however, as i havent played one. But after reading all the issues, i'd certainly wait it out another few months and see. I'd also wait to see where they go with the code on the LE too, as far as i understand, the mini pf only serves one purpose - castle multiball. I could be wrong, and i hope to play an LE/Prem soon as it may be the first pin where i must have both versions.
As for TWD, its a players players pin! there's nothing friendly about it. Theme isnt friendly, sounds arent friendly, art isnt friendly, etc... It's for hardcore players who like the theme. It's both frustrating and exhilarating. I contemplate selling mine cause we have a 3 year old, but im a big zombie and TWD fan so its sticking around awhile longer.

Wow. I'm the opposite of you. I have St pro,twdle,GoTLE. The one I play the most is ST. They are have their own uniqueness. But I still love the speed and flow of ST

But for the OP. I would get GoTLE. I went thru the same scenerio. Dragons > snow for me. Hand drawn art > shopped art

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

#23 3 years ago

I have TWD, Star Trek and GoT pro. I think Star Trek is the best shooting game ever made and the rules are good. TWD is fun and the rules might be the best ever made for any game. GoT was great at first. But the newness wore off pretty quickly and I don't play it much. If I wasn't such a Steve Ritchie fan I'd probably sell it.

#24 3 years ago

Star Trek is decent but got is amazing

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I'm struggling with this one. I have a modded out ST Pro that I love to look at but not so much play anymore. It kind of bores me at the point that I will only play it maybe once a month.

Here is your answer.
Mods are cool, but PLAYING pinball should be all that matters. These are not bikini models.

In all seriousness though, GOT is really deep and widely accepted by the pin world.
This is a move I would make - because you can always go back and get another ST again.
Personally, I'd have both--and dump something else - Transformers maybe.
There's still yet another code coming for ST.

#26 3 years ago

Duplicate--woops.

#27 3 years ago

Happy wife = happy life

Get the GoT LE

#28 3 years ago

Sell the Star Trek. If you are not attached to a pin and are willing to let it go-then it must go. My problem is I get attached to my pins and have extreme difficulty letting them go, they are like my children. I am also interested in picking up a GOT but I am still on the fence. I love the theme, layout and it is a fun game to play. My dilemma is I like the look of the Premium over the LE and would like to get one on order but I am not keen on having to rig a machine to play properly. If I am paying 6K plus I want it to play properly without having to disassemble and remove upper playfield, etc. I am leaning towards waiting on the second run of Premiums in order to insure that Stern has fixed all of the known issues. I would recommend waiting to see if Stern can make a GOT Premium that plays 100% right out of the box. It is evident that all of the LE's and the first run of Premiums have the left orbit issue along with other issues. Beta testing should be done in the factory not in our homes.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Happy wife = happy life
Get the GoT LE

THIS .... plus ...

if momma aint happy, AINT NOONE HAPPY!!

Sell the ST:PRO, get the GOT:LE ... my opinion you wont lose much if you ever decide to sell he GOT:LE. Good Luck!

#30 3 years ago

I am in a very similar situation. We have a ST Prem and have had a GOT LE for about 6 weeks. Unlike you, selling the ST was never something we considered. As for the GoT, if it were up to me I would have gotten the premium to save money, but my wife was really into the show and loved the artwork and Targaryen theme on the LE and the money wasn't a big issue. An added advantage of getting the LE is that we got it much sooner than if we had ordered the prem (would likely still be waiting), although I doubt this will be an issue for those ordering now. So for me the GoT LE was worth the extra, but it would depend a lot on how much money you had, how much your wife preferred the LE, etc. There will also be aftermarket translight and side armor options for the prem which in my opinion will make that machine look better although some will prefer the stock look. Our GoT LE has been played a ton, I would guess approaching 1,000 plays at this point. We both love the game, and think it is the best in our collection although it is a difficult call at this point because it is so new. I still play ST. It is a different game and a game I still enjoy (sounds like more than you do from your comments). Since ours is a premium with Aurich's art package I feel it would be very difficult to replace. Replacing a stock ST pro would likely be easier in the future if you decided you needed to have one. So I guess if your situation is similar to mine I would keep ST and get the GoT LE.

#31 3 years ago

If you don't play ST much anymore then I doubt you would miss it. I still like my pro but not nailed to floor. I played GOT at expo but didn't care it much. I would just let the wife decide since she has interest in both pins and you seem somewhat neutral.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

Wow. I'm the opposite of you. I have St pro,twdle,GoTLE. The one I play the most is ST. They are have their own uniqueness. But I still love the speed and flow of ST
But for the OP. I would get GoTLE. I went thru the same scenerio. Dragons > snow for me. Hand drawn art > shopped art

Quoted from markmon:

I have TWD, Star Trek and GoT pro. I think Star Trek is the best shooting game ever made and the rules are good. TWD is fun and the rules might be the best ever made for any game. GoT was great at first. But the newness wore off pretty quickly and I don't play it much. If I wasn't such a Steve Ritchie fan I'd probably sell it.

Yea, maybe I need to have my head checked.
I'll sit down and have some heart to heart time with my STLE this weekend.
I was PM'ing a few folks and what it comes down to is STLE has better light show, sounds, art, etc... And GOT is just fast and fun with a quick progression style ruleset. So STLE has the better overall package, but GOT is just so fun and more relaxing. So maybe I am still in a state of honeymoon phaseobia.

#33 3 years ago

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

I think I've figured out what we will do. I'm going to wait to see how much pain uncle sam gives me this year for tax time. Assuming we planned better this year (than last) and we don't owe more $$$ again then I'll see if their are any LE's out there still. If so, I'll put a deposit down on one and put ST up for sale. If no LE's are still around then I'll see if my wife changes her mind on the premium. If she doesn't then we'll keep ST. If she does then I'll go for the premium.

Now the fun of figuring out what a tricked out ST Pro is worth so that I am ready if that time comes.

#34 3 years ago

I played gotle Monday night for the first time and it really is a great game and code is already pretty good. I own st pro and would drop it for got le in a second if I had the extra cash.

#35 3 years ago

I should add, if you are somewhat local and interested in a ST Pro let me know and we can hopefully work out a deal. If the game sells off this post I'll donate the "fee" to pinside as to not to try and skirt that process. It's not officially for sale yet but I'm putting it out there as I'd prefer to not have to deal with shipping it. Not looking to give it away but also not looking to make money either.

It's got:
- custom painted apron with integrated lighting (flashers tie into the vengence flasher)
- custom painted flipper bats
- Vengence dress up kit from pinbits
- pinbits pop bumper kit
- pinbits plastic protectors
- pinbits slingshot protectors
- astroid mod (single on left light and triple on the right light)
- mirror blades
- mezelmods warp ramp light defuser mod
- light added under apron to add more light to the center section of the game.
- customer warp chaser light
- added spot light for vengence ship (same as where the Prem/LE light is on the left side).
- standard flipper rubbers but transparent rubbers everywhere else
- shaker motor
- Upgraded light boards for the two right combo lights (they now match in brightness as the rest of the game).
- Aurich kit with the apron, spinner, DMD and translight installed. Non installed stickers are in the coin box.

I'm sure I'm missing some things....

As you can see from the pics (still need to learn how to take pics with lights on that look decent). My games are covered when not played. I'm extremely anal about my games. Seeing the dirty sling rubbers in the pics bugs me and will be changed out tonight

IMG_6747_(resized).JPG

IMG_6748_(resized).JPG

IMG_6749_(resized).JPG

IMG_6750_(resized).JPG

IMG_6754_(resized).JPG

IMG_6761_(resized).jpg

#36 3 years ago

That is the nicest Pro I've ever seen.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

That is the nicest Pro I've ever seen.

x2.

That pro is seriously badass. I wouldn't sell that

#38 3 years ago

Beta testing should be done in the factory not in our homes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I should add, if you are somewhat local and interested in a ST Pro let me know and we can hopefully work out a deal. If the game sells off this post I'll donate the "fee" to pinside as to not to try and skirt that process. It's not officially for sale yet but I'm putting it out there as I'd prefer to not have to deal with shipping it. Not looking to give it away but also not looking to make money either.
It's got:
- custom painted apron with integrated lighting (flashers tie into the vengence flasher)
- custom painted flipper bats
- Vengence dress up kit from pinbits
- pinbits pop bumper kit
- pinbits plastic protectors
- pinbits slingshot protectors
- astroid mod (single on left light and triple on the right light)
- mirror blades
- mezelmods warp ramp light defuser mod
- light added under apron to add more light to the center section of the game.
- customer warp chaser light
- added spot light for vengence ship (same as where the Prem/LE light is on the left side).
- standard flipper rubbers but transparent rubbers everywhere else
- shaker motor
- Upgraded light boards for the two right combo lights (they now match in brightness as the rest of the game).
- Aurich kit with the apron, spinner, DMD and translight installed. Non installed stickers are in the coin box.
I'm sure I'm missing some things....
As you can see from the pics (still need to learn how to take pics with lights on that look decent). My games are covered when not played. I'm extremely anal about my games. Seeing the dirty sling rubbers in the pics bugs me and will be changed out tonight

IMG_6747_(resized).JPGIMG_6748_(resized).JPGIMG_6749_(resized).JPGIMG_6750_(resized).JPGIMG_6754_(resized).JPGIMG_6761_(resized).jpg

Game looks really nice! Aurich's package really makes the pro pop! Good stuff.

#40 3 years ago

The painted apron looks sweet. Did you change out the gi bulbs? Looks awesome. Thinking of playing with my lights to spice things up.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

The painted apron looks sweet. Did you change out the gi bulbs? Looks awesome. Thinking of playing with my lights to spice things up.

Thanks. Yes, I color matched the inserts and adjusted the GI quite a bit. Below is the GI light chart that I did.

On the lights. All the backpanel lights were switched with Ice blue.

Color Key:
- B - Ice Blue
- R - Red
- P - Purple
- C - Cyan
- W - White

Shape Key:
-Round circle - GI lights on playfield (these bulbs http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smd5050ng.htm)
-Diamonds - Dome lights ***keep in mind I added 2 dome lights to my game (these bulbs http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2560)
-Stars - Flashers (these bulbs for 89 base http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/8smdg18tower.htm and these bulbs for 906 base http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/8smdflash.htm )

9c3a8dbfcf3a9f645e992175cc5be894cc2fe329_(resized).jpg

#42 3 years ago

beautiful game...

#43 3 years ago

Wow that's a stunning ST Pro.

#44 3 years ago

Thanks for such detailed info, 85Vett. Don't think I am going to change all the bulbs like you did but might borrow a few of your ideas. I thought my pro looked pretty good with similar mods but agree with others - yours is the best I have seen. Even your Vengeance looks like it is sitting level. lol

#45 3 years ago

Well I just sold my tricked out ST Pro on Saturday and I'm picking up my NIB GOT Pro tomorrow.......so there's my answer. Honestly if I had the spare cash I would have kept the ST and just added the GOT.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Even your Vengeance looks like it is sitting level. lol

That's not out of luck either. I spent countless hours working with that spring to get it to look right. Still am not 100% happy with it as it looks to the players left a bit but it's one of those times I had to leave good enough alone.

#47 3 years ago

I see you decided to sell it. good move. Out of the 2 GoT is better. but I have to say I also never seen any star trek episodes. I know I know

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from cavalier88z24:

I see you decided to sell it. good move. Out of the 2 GoT is better. but I have to say I also never seen any star trek episodes. I know I know

Thanks. Game was picked up today so I'll be placing my order on Monday. I still prefer the Prem but will be getting an LE to appease my wife. She collects dragons and that cab art is something that she REALLY wants. She gave up her ST for this so I'll give in and get the LE for her.

I was nervous posting a game for sale on PS as I know how those go so often but it went very smooth and I couldn't be happier with whom bought the game. Sounds like it will still get a lot of love at his house.

P.S. - I never saw an episode of ST either

P.S.S. - Now I'm on the search for mods. I saw the ones with the fix for the loop and already ordered a kit. Debating on the topper. Just sow much $$$ for a topper.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

... I'll be placing my order on Monday. I still prefer the Prem but will be getting an LE to appease my wife. She collects dragons and that cab art is something that she REALLY wants. She gave up her ST for this so I'll give in and get the LE for her.

Wise decision. As has been pointed out on various GoT threads, it's hard to justify the cost of the LE's extras on a quantitative basis. When you consider it qualitatively in your case though, it certainly seems worthwhile given your wife's appreciation of the artwork (not to mention the appeasement factor).

Congrats on your new game and I look forward to hearing how you like it given your apparent game preferences!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kansas City, MO
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 26.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
4,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, CT
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 25.00
$ 399.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Machine - For Sale
Rocklin, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 11.95
Sale Pending!
Templeton, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside