(Topic ID: 190432)

What would you do if you got this PM

By d0n

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

No-Teeth (resized).jpg
    IMG_1236 (resized).PNG
    carnac_the_magnificent-resized-600 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6237 (resized).JPG
    no_eyed_deer_by_damnitsasha (resized).jpg
    Lloyd_Christmas.jpg
    F 550 (resized).jpg
    Thunderdome (resized).jpg
    dodge-stratus-i-drive-a-dodge-stratus (resized).jpg
    tommy copy (resized).jpg
    IMG_0134 (resized).PNG
    IMG_0133 (resized).JPG
    image.gif
    10k (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 6 years ago

Put the TZ in the Thunderdome and play; 2 men enter, 1 man leaves...

Thunderdome (resized).jpgThunderdome (resized).jpg

#102 6 years ago

I've never met a person who thought their time was so valuable. If they did, they were never arrogant enough to bluntly state that.

Any pinsider that asks for help on any game will get a response from me when I get a chance. It's just about being a decent human. The OP was in a unique position to answer some simple questions that no one else would have been able to answer and yet rather than being a decent human couldn't even take a few minutes out of his day. You could have even responded with hey I don't have time right now for a call but if you can email me your questions I'll get to them when I get a minute.

The ironic thing about this thread is it makes the OP look bad and he is the one who opened it. So blind to just how selfish and rude this made you sound.

#103 6 years ago

If I got that PM I would send them a long PM back telling them to F off. Then a few months later I'd start a thread about it and talk about how big my truck is. But that's just how I roll.

#104 6 years ago

I thought pinside was suppose to be nice now......

#105 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Some girls would'nt know a Kings Ranch Edition from a Kia.

Every Pinside thread quickly breaks down into a truck measuring contest.

It burns home heating oil or bio diesel...

F 550 (resized).jpgF 550 (resized).jpg

#106 6 years ago

this thread has literally made me piss my pants, im laughing so hard.

and for whoever is busting on ford's... stop it dammit. I drive a ford f-150...

as for anyone who may or may not have questions for me on pins I have sold them, please feel free to PM me...

oh wait, there is only one pin that I ever sold, and I bought it from another pinsider... so you may have to talk to him!

LOL

have a great weekend all!

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

$10k by......

Was that inspected by Lloyd Christmas?

Lloyd_Christmas.jpgLloyd_Christmas.jpg

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Did you read my reply to him? Time is precious. I can't see spending my time answering questions about a game I sold 6+ months ago. My time here on pinside is spent because I choose to.
    Ya sure I and my restorer have so much to hide. We purposely half a$$ed all repairs on the game and then I sold it a few months later for $7500 (yes a TZ for $7500 - it was THAT nice)
    He bought it from the 2nd or 3rd guy after I sold it. I dont know what owner he was.

I agree that you should thoroughly test a game beforehand and buyer beware and all that stuff.
    but spending your "precious time" on pinside bitching about his demand for you to help him is a little over the top.
    just say "no sorry, if there are issues with the machine please take it up with the person you bought it from"

personally, I'd be happy to try help someone else out.

#110 6 years ago

the OP's reaction to a simple email request to speak, is nothing short of mind-boggling. and quite frankly disenchanting of humanity. why would someone react SO defensively when nothing accusatory or hostile had been brought up in the first place, unless he/she clearly was concerned about something or had something to hide? don't answer that, dOn. it's a rhetorical question...

i remember about 10 years ago, i answered a craiglist ad by a complete stranger in my neighborhood asking for help fixing his devil's dare. it was his only game, and he just wanted to play it again. i went to his apt, worked on it w him for hours, over some beers and good convo. i didn't accept a dime. i just met a really good dude and i got to play a ton of devil's dare. turns out he's a fairly well-known french photographer w/ some very famous friends. we ended up going to allentown together, we play all around NYC whenever he returns from Paris, and have been friends ever since.

now that i think about it, i probably should've just told him to f6@k off...

-jon

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

now that i think about it, i probably should've just told him to f6@k off...

Yep!! I never realized it before this thread, but I know now this is the correct response to 95% of pms solicited or not. Thanks op!

This thread actually inspired someone I sold a game to a couple years ago to reach out today but I knew exactly what to do -- F off buddy!! (Even if he IS a friend) --ain't no way I'm wasting my time with questions 'bout my old pins, they are dead to me 'n I got threads to surf! LOL

#112 6 years ago

I can only guess at the number of machines that have been fixed/restored/helped in some way, large or small, by the advice of Vid1900. At the very least it must be in the many hundreds. Now imagine if it was his policy to tell everybody to f--- off? What a poorer community we would be.

#113 6 years ago

I just want to point out that the OP is from New York, so please don't hold this against the rest of us southerners.

#114 6 years ago

The PMS!

"Hello my name is XXXXX. I think i just bought you old twilight zone pinball machine. Please give me a call at your convenience tomorrow any time. I have alot of questions? Thank u XXXX xxx-xxx-xxxx "

My response to his original PM was this... "I really dont want to call and answer a lot of questions about a game I sold a long time ago. Sorry."

His response... "Ok i will just call pookiepinball"

The business owner is a friend of mine and I'm sure he has better things to do than answer questions about a game he worked on for me a while ago.

I said... "I doubt he wants to be bugged about it either but you can ask. Why not just
    get the info from the seller?"

He responded... "Its all good. I already contact him and he's in his way to texas pinball festival. He was wealth of information already. When he gets back hes send more pictures of the tear down. Says he has a bunch. I honestly just wanted to know what happen with the front of the cabinet. What a piece of shit. The bondo broken as soon as i load it. Im not mad. I just just need to know what all exactly was done to it. Because right now in its current state it is a Fire hazard. Big time. After you sold it pinsound and flipper fedility speakers were installed too"

This is when I finally got annoyed and responded... "No offense but when I sell a game, I not interest in speaking to a 3rd owner or a 4th or 5th about that game. It's a game that I owned and sold. Nothing less, nothing more. I'm not interested in taking time out of my day to call some guy who bought it from the guy I sold it to. I'm kind of appalled that you think it's OK to demand that I call you on a certain day and answer "a lot of questions" about a game I owned 6+ months ago. I am even more shocked that you think it's ok to bother a businessman (who I paid good money to work on the game) with questions about the game.

In my opinion, you can look the game over from top to bottom & ask the CURRENT owner questions until you're blue in the face BEFORE you buy the game. Once you buy the game, you're not entitled to a full rundown and contact from all previous owners and people who worked on it. And you're surely not entitled to contact anyone and tell them they did a crappy job repairing it... if it was a fire hazard, why the heck would you even buy it? "

#115 6 years ago

Did you ever think, that the guy you sold it to didn't know the history? because he didn't do any of the work and was told a "pinsider" did it. Like i said most pinsiders are cool if you reach out to them. Not the case with you

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

Did you ever think, that the guy you sold it to didn't know the history? because he didn't do any of the work and was told a "pinsider" did it. Like i said most pinsiders are cool if you reach out to them. Not the case with you

And then you accuse me of cheaply bondoing the front cabinet? I didn't do ANY work to this game. I surely didn't bondo the big crack that was in the front cabinet when I sold it.

"Ok so the repair to the cabinet wasnt repaired by pookiespinballs. The repair to cab wasnt done by the guy you sold it to. So that leaves you. Shocker. Yes it is fire hazard for sure. Don't worry its on its way back to Wisconsin to get ALL the issues fixing THE right way. If your at expo this year make sure you walk right past your game."

My response... and our last message...

"ok"

#117 6 years ago

I trust screenshots more than I do someone taking their oh-so-precious time to retype the PMs.

At this point, it might be time to save at least a little face and admit that you might have over-reacted a bit, perhaps even a bit harshly, and we can all move on. Even if you don't think you were wrong with what you said or did, it will go a lot farther towards rebuilding people's respect for you here on Pinside because from what I can tell so far from people's reactions to this situation, you're not making any friends here and are slowly losing the ones you had.

Did you have to provide the buyer any info on that TZ you sold to another person 6 months ago? Nope.

Did you have to be a prick about it? Nope.

What's crazy is that the buyer was ok with it and had gotten over it. You're the one who brought it up, here, months after it all happened.

I say just apologize and move on, no matter who you think is right. Stop fanning the flames and you won't get burned.

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

I trust screenshots more than I do someone taking their oh-so-precious time to retype the PMs.

I didn't retype all those PMS. I copied them from my inbox and pasted them.

#119 6 years ago

Copy and paste can be more easily edited to reflect what you want the messages to say that a screenshot. Not saying that screenshots can't be edited as well, but it takes more time and well, if you need to go so far as to edit a screenshot in Photoshop to prove your point, then you really need to sit down and reassess your life.

http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Microsoft-Windows

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

I truly hope you read past the first line of my post, though...

#120 6 years ago

Ha! This is for you OP

#121 6 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

I totally agree. TZ is a dog. I don't know how it gets the praise that it gets. None of my pinball friends have it. I couldn't sell it quick enough.

Do you have any friends?

#122 6 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Note to self: Don't buy any games that d0n had.

Atl already sorta knew this part. Pinball is a microscopic community... have some damn respect. My fav is the one where the other poster mentions blowing everything out of proportion. 3 pages later we are all being snail-mailed brochures for Ford Diesel truck fleet lines.

#123 6 years ago

Sounds like a case of quién es más macho to me

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

this thread has literally made me piss my pants, im laughing so hard.

I'm hoping you only figuratively pissed your pants.

#125 6 years ago

ahh forget it

#126 6 years ago

Did D0n just troll himself?

#127 6 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Did D0n just troll himself?

Yep. Lol. Maybe he misses his twilight zone

#128 6 years ago

Maybe the op sold it with undisclosed issues and just wants it out of his life. The following owners could probably not figure it out either. Thus mutiple sales in a 6 month period. The new owner may be trying to figure out what was done when it started. The op should just refer the new owner to this thread.

#129 6 years ago

Precious. Time.

Quoted from d0n:

The PMS!
    "Hello my name is XXXXX. I think i just bought you old twilight zone pinball machine. Please give me a call at your convenience tomorrow any time. I have alot of questions? Thank u XXXX xxx-xxx-xxxx "
    My response to his original PM was this... "I really dont want to call and answer a lot of questions about a game I sold a long time ago. Sorry."
    His response... "Ok i will just call pookiepinball"
    The business owner is a friend of mine and I'm sure he has better things to do than answer questions about a game he worked on for me a while ago.
    I said... "I doubt he wants to be bugged about it either but you can ask. Why not just
    get the info from the seller?"
    He responded... "Its all good. I already contact him and he's in his way to texas pinball festival. He was wealth of information already. When he gets back hes send more pictures of the tear down. Says he has a bunch. I honestly just wanted to know what happen with the front of the cabinet. What a piece of shit. The bondo broken as soon as i load it. Im not mad. I just just need to know what all exactly was done to it. Because right now in its current state it is a Fire hazard. Big time. After you sold it pinsound and flipper fedility speakers were installed too"
    This is when I finally got annoyed and responded... "No offense but when I sell a game, I not interest in speaking to a 3rd owner or a 4th or 5th about that game. It's a game that I owned and sold. Nothing less, nothing more. I'm not interested in taking time out of my day to call some guy who bought it from the guy I sold it to. I'm kind of appalled that you think it's OK to demand that I call you on a certain day and answer "a lot of questions" about a game I owned 6+ months ago. I am even more shocked that you think it's ok to bother a businessman (who I paid good money to work on the game) with questions about the game.
    In my opinion, you can look the game over from top to bottom & ask the CURRENT owner questions until you're blue in the face BEFORE you buy the game. Once you buy the game, you're not entitled to a full rundown and contact from all previous owners and people who worked on it. And you're surely not entitled to contact anyone and tell them they did a crappy job repairing it... if it was a fire hazard, why the heck would you even buy it? "

#130 6 years ago

This Saturday morning Casey Kasem long distance dedication goes out to that special OP out there, enjoy......

#131 6 years ago

and on to the next topic

#132 6 years ago

If I got that pm I think it would be pretty simple . I would get back to him at my earliest convenience ! I do not feel like its a demand as it is up to me when and if that is . Some people are just more tolerant than others , I'm sure he had know idea how unreasonable the person was he was trying to contact .

#133 6 years ago

no_eyed_deer_by_damnitsasha (resized).jpgno_eyed_deer_by_damnitsasha (resized).jpg

#134 6 years ago

The rest of the country is seeing the OPs earned ATL reputation.

#135 6 years ago

Got cut off by a guy yesterday as I was trying to pull into the open front parking space there. Backed out because I thought he was pulling through to park in it and had beaten me to it. Fair enough.

Then I see he parked like this. Made me think of this thread.

IMG_6237 (resized).JPGIMG_6237 (resized).JPG

#136 6 years ago

Ignore the hell out of that. Once it's sold, it's not your problem anymore............

#137 6 years ago
    Quoted from enkiktd:

Then I see he parked like this.

That's what they make keys for.

Back in college, parking was impossible. Even arriving a hour before classes often did not get you a legal parking spot.

I though I saw a spot in the student lot, but as I approached, I saw a new Porsche was parked diagonally taking 2 spots.

In desperation, I finally parked on the grass behind the maintenance building and then headed back to find the Porsche.

With a key between each finger, I walked along the car like a teenage Wolverine. Paint chipping, metal groaning; I had an enormous hard-on.

After classes I went back to give it another run on the passenger side, but the Porsche was gone.

I looked for it the next few weeks, but it never returned.

#138 6 years ago

Just curious - am I the only one who finds the irony in the OPs arrogant attitude about how valuable his time is? Or how he doesn't want to answer a bunch of questions; when a quick glance at his other forum posts shows topics he started that are asking for help and advice?

Karma man....and if you can't take time for others, don't post asking them for any of theirs...

#139 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Just curious - am I the only one who finds the irony in the OPs arrogant attitude about how valuable his time is? Or how he doesn't want to answer a bunch of questions; when a quick glance at his other forum posts shows topics he started that are asking for help and advice?
    Karma man....and if you can't take time for others, don't post asking them for any of theirs...

#140 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinkid:

Ignore the hell out of that. Once it's sold, it's not your problem anymore............

EXCATLY.

#141 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

It's not really that my time is so important or precious that I can't listen to a guy complaining about a game that I sold to someone else 6 months ago... it's just not how I CHOOSE to spend my time. If I wanna type all day on pinside, that's my choice. I enjoy it sometimes. I wouldn't enjoy listening to some guy complain about how a game I had restored and then sold to someone (not him!) was a fire hazard and a "shit" job. Life is too short to spend your time in a way that you don't enjoy.

#142 6 years ago

Humility is a great trait to possess. I try to teach my kids the importance of it

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

It's not really that my time is so important or precious that I can't listen to a guy complaining about a game that I sold to someone else 6 months ago... it's just not how I CHOOSE to spend my time. If I wanna type all day on pinside, that's my choice. I enjoy it sometimes. I wouldn't enjoy listening to some guy complain about how a game I had restored and then sold to someone (not him!) was a fire hazard and a "shit" job. Life is too short to spend your time in a way that you don't enjoy.

I sincerely believe many people that have read your attitude on this thread will "CHOOSE" to never help you again. Enjoy your choices.

#144 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

I sincerely believe many people that have read your attitude on this thread will "CHOOSE" to never help you again. Enjoy your choices.

Thank you Carnac the magnificent.

carnac_the_magnificent-resized-600 (resized).jpgcarnac_the_magnificent-resized-600 (resized).jpg

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Thank you Carnac the magnificent.

I have a rotted out 99 silverado, but I still know that the M should also be capitalized.

#146 6 years ago

IMG_1236 (resized).PNGIMG_1236 (resized).PNG

#147 6 years ago

We Will never know *exactly* how this played out I think-- but while I'm all about helping others and would be interested to hear where of my old pins ended up -- if the new owner DID start telling me I did a 'shit' restore or my tastes in mods sucked (even if it was true) - I might start to change my attitude about the encounter and towards the new owner pretty quick .. 'Jus saying... some blame on both ends of this, at least apparently.

#148 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

We Will never know *exactly* how this played out I think-- but while I'm all about helping others and would be interested to hear where of my old pins ended up -- if the new owner DID start telling me I did a 'shit' restore or my tastes in mods sucked (even if it was true) - I might start to change my attitude about the encounter and towards the new owner pretty quick .. 'Jus saying... some blame on both ends of this, at least apparently.

But we don't know the quality of the work...if it was hack work, then it was....

We dont know if it was crap or if buyer is super picky without pics etc, but either way, it was not handled very politely or tactfully.

#149 6 years ago

R-E-S-T-E-C-P!

#150 6 years ago

definitely should've started with the PM's (if they're legit) and explained yourself a little better. Came off totally obnoxious at first, but if I got those PM's, I would probably be a little irritated as well. Honestly, OP's initial response in PM was totally above board and reasonable. Looks to me like the "new owner" was being semi rude. Either way, what a big waste of everyone's time, ha.

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-you-do-if-you-got-this-pm/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.