(Topic ID: 225616)

What would you do? How would you do it?

By Beaumistim

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

#1 5 years ago

So.... I own allot of arcade machines roughly 130. I also own a few pins, roughly 3. I also own a commercial building in the town i live in. Id really like to open a pinball bar, or pin lounge of course I'd need allot more pins and allot less arcades. But i have zero, experience in bars or anything of that nature. Anyone have that kind of experience? Tips? I know many people will say it's a waste of time, but the commercial space is just sitting there unused.

#2 5 years ago

Learn as much as you can. Maybe work for an operator. Work for a bar.

And they don't just hand out licenses. For liquor, arcades, games, barcades, etc.

Check with the city hall in the city you want to do this in. Find out what you can and can't do. Zoning ordinances, licenses, insurance, etc.

If there is a distributor or AMOA organization in your state, they can be a source of info.

I would suspect a heck of a lot of money to start up, remodel, meet any building requirements. Etc. Etc.

Might be worth doing. Just think it through and go forward with a plan. Best wishes.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

I wish i had that kind of time

#4 5 years ago

why Not rent the space to some other more viable business? If you are pressed for time, why on earth do you want to open up a new business?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Beaumistim:

I wish i had that kind of time

Owning a small business requires a huge time commitment OR you need the funding to be able to hire people to run it in your absence, and you need to make sure those people are trustworthy. So that’s what I would look into first.

#6 5 years ago

I own multiple small businesses. That's why i don't have the time to go to work for someone else to learn how to run a bar. If it was for myself i could find the time. I'm saying i don't have the time to go work for an operator or someone else's bar

#7 5 years ago

What about making a private club. Paid membership to play the games and a byob or no alcohol. I thunk there are a few club style pin arcades now. I know a few have it so members bring in games so it’s more of a coop. But it keeps the random public out and allows for less human over sight.

#8 5 years ago

Demographics important.

#9 5 years ago

If your primary desire is to commercially operate the arcade equipment, I'd start by leasing out the building to another interested in opening a tavern or otherwise, and work your equipment usage into the deal. This way you're not suffering any problems or losses with the tavern, (and its employees), while gaining experience running your arcade equipment at the same time.

If you expect to place 25+ used or vintage arcade pieces in this lounge, it's probably safe to assume 2 or more visits per week, (collections and minor repair), and a very busy cell phone. Also you'll need to have a few games "Ready for usage" in your storage area for games with major break-downs, monitor repair, etc.

Carefully consider jurisdiction licenses and liability insurance on your equipment as well.

#10 5 years ago

This guy out here turned an empty store in a building into this as basically a tax write off for his game collection. https://flynnsretrocade.com/ Seems to be doing well.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

What about making a private club. Paid membership to play the games and a byob or no alcohol.

You still need to look into local zoning and license issues.

LTG : )

#12 5 years ago

Know your audience. who are the people in your town? What are their interests? For example we have a barcade in Burlington that caters to the hipster college kids with super fancy craft cocktails served by guys with mustaches. It's always packed and they are opening another location so they seem to be doing pretty good.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-you-do-how-would-you-do-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.