(Topic ID: 137145)

What would you do 4 pieces of inviziglass or 2 ColorDMDs?

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinjunky
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What's a better way to spend $900”

• 4 invisible glass 15 votes
      22%
    • 2 Color DMDs 53 votes
      78%

(68 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 3 years ago

If you had 8 pins without any invisible glass, and you have one pin with color DMD (AcDc premium) and two that'd like color DMD (XMLE and Tspp).

What would you buy 4 glass or 2 DMDs?

I believe the glass would come out a bit more expensive.

#3 3 years ago

4 Glass, you are looking at it ALL the time.....DMD you just glance at.

#5 3 years ago

Just ordered my 3rd color dmd today...

#6 3 years ago

No contest. Color DMD all the way.

#7 3 years ago

I currently have 2 PDI glass and no color DMD but I did vote for the color DMD. I plan on adding some color soon.

#8 3 years ago

X-Men in color is going to be so badass! You shouldn't hesitate on that one...

#9 3 years ago

Tough one, I'd say color DMD though as it really changes the pin

#10 3 years ago

C. Another pin.

In the last 18 months, Ive bought these pins in the USA for $900 or less. All working in good condition.

Mata Hari, future spa, comet, old Chicago, Aquarius, Hyperball, meteor, lost world, space invaders, ahhhh i forget them all. But that's just me.

FYI The Color DMD guys said if you buy three, they ship for free in the Xmen thread. I'd go with DMDs rather than the glass unless glare is a huge issue for you.

rd.

#11 3 years ago

It does not matter what others want. What do you want? Its your money and your machines.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

2 glass and one Color DMD

I agree with this...although I'd definitely go PDI glass over Invisiglass. Once you have at least one of each, you'll be selling your firstborn child to get more.

#13 3 years ago

Pdi. All day. No reflection and it looks like there is no glass when you play.

#14 3 years ago

At least one kah-lore display

They always seem to make a game pop.

As for glass reflections, I've seen a few positive reviews for this on the forums:

http://www.cometpinball.com/DMD-GLARE-ELIMINATOR-p/dmdglare.htm

It might work as a stand-in until you can get enough invisiglass/PDI and color DMDs for everything.

#15 3 years ago

TSPP is awesome with colordmd

#16 3 years ago

Never heard of this PDI glass but now I'm interested. Always something new to put a hurtin' on my wallet.

#17 3 years ago

Do what you like! Just got PDI Glass for my TZ and all I can say is WOW, it's freaky cool stuff!

#18 3 years ago

The improvement from glass to invisiglass is great. But not comparable to the improvement from DMD to Color DMD.

Color DMDs. No contest (assuming you have pins that could use them).

#19 3 years ago

Depends on your lighting. If you have a high hat shining directly on the the center of your glass get PDI. If not color DMD. No?

#20 3 years ago

I completely detached my retina AND macula in my left eye. I had 4 major surgeries and my eye was held together with silicone oil for a year. I only have 2% vision in that eye now, so glare really bothers me when playing my pins.

Is this PDI glass really that good and removes almost all the glare?

Also, can I get this from a local glass shop or where do you guy's get yours? Thanks in advance, as I need all the help I can get in seeing clearly, or it's almost impossible to follow the ball. Take care!

Dan

#21 3 years ago

I couldn't live without my invisiglass.

#22 3 years ago

Db62 given your collection.. I will brashly assume you can try out at least one sheet of anti reflective glass. PDI and Jersey Jack are the two real vendors today, and nobody else has come up with a better or affordable solution. Jersey Jack's invisiglass ships one or two per cardboard shipping container. And shipping needs to be factored into the total price.

As to will it help you? Only trying it will be certain. Some environments and some people do need it; some don't. I personally fell in love with it and have it for all my machines.

#23 3 years ago

I have PDI glass on all my games as well as ColorDMDs for the ones that have color ROMs. PDI gets the nod over what gets put on my machines first.

And PDI is better than Invisiglass. Check the video link on this page for a comparison.

http://pinballdecals.com/NonGlareOpticalGlassPage.html

Depending on the games involved, I may go 2 PDI and 1 CDMD with a $900 budget.

#24 3 years ago

Mike has 8 Pins. He is looking at buying 4 pieces of glass, or 2 DMD's. What will he end up with?

"I joined Pinside under the impression that mathematics was not going to be required"

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

At least one kah-lore display
    They always seem to make a game pop.
    As for glass reflections, I've seen a few positive reviews for this on the forums:
    http://www.cometpinball.com/DMD-GLARE-ELIMINATOR-p/dmdglare.htm
    It might work as a stand-in until you can get enough invisiglass/PDI and color DMDs for everything.

Haven't tried this but a lot of problematic glare I get is from the backbox in addition to the DMD. I have bent plastics on all my games and have added LED strips to the rear playfield both of which help immensely. One day when I'm not tracking more games I'll fill up on glass...

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

Db62 given your collection.. I will brashly assume you can try out at least one sheet of anti reflective glass. >

I don't want to ruin the OP's thread, so I made a new post about the comment above.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from DB62:

I completely detached my retina AND macula in my left eye. I had 4 major surgeries and my eye was held together with silicone oil for a year. I only have 2% vision in that eye now, so glare really bothers me when playing my pins.
    Is this PDI glass really that good and removes almost all the glare?
    Also, can I get this from a local glass shop or where do you guy's get yours? Thanks in advance, as I need all the help I can get in seeing clearly, or it's almost impossible to follow the ball. Take care!
    Dan

Seeing is believing...

#28 3 years ago

Razorbak86

Thanks for the video ... that helps a lot ... I appreciate that!

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

Haven't tried this but a lot of problematic glare I get is from the backbox in addition to the DMD. I have bent plastics on all my games and have added LED strips to the rear playfield both of which help immensely. One day when I'm not tracking more games I'll fill up on glass...

That is what I have also. ALOT more glare from my back glass LED's than my DMD ... will the PDI glass take most of that away also?

I know I can use LED's that are not as bright, but with my eyes, I really need that brightness.

#30 3 years ago

I personally would buy the two colordmd's and play with the glass off

#31 3 years ago

It completely depends on the game location and condition. I pick and choose. I LOVE invisiglass, but not every game needs it. I have games that don't get any stray light on them, so a normal piece of glass works fine there. But other games need it. Plus some games like Tron just deserve it. I'm not going to deck out my whole collection with it, but where it is needed, it is amazing.

So are ColorDMDs. They are cool on every game I've seen them in. A very worthy upgrade.

This sounds like it is just a budget issue, so you will need to pick and choose for now. But I will warn you, it is hard to back out either of them. Once you go color, you will never be satisfied with monochrome. Same with invisiglass, all you will see is glare if you pull it.

#32 3 years ago

Colordmd all the way

#33 3 years ago

Color DMD... no question in my mind. Invisiglass is nice... it's not that kinda money nice.

#34 3 years ago

JJP has the glass on sale for 221.50 per sheet and they only do this a couple times a year. I am going to pickup a couple sheets tomorrow at the open house. Color DMD's never go on sale so I would buy the glass now and wait to buy the color dmd's.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 6.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pin Monk
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 199.99
    $ 224.99
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 279.95
    € 12.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Multigame
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 149.99
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 28.95
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside