Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by FLASHBALL
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

received_929719137976246 (resized).jpeg
    received_310020390978202 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FLASHBALL.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Had an emergency last night. Son accidently stabbed himself with a kitchen knife. I was down in my shop working on a board.

Long story short, I left my Hakko FR300 desoldering gun on all night by mistake and the heating element broke.

I took it all apart to discover that one of the leads just came unsoldered. Problem is that I cant solder it back on. Apparently my Weller iron does not get hot enough to liquify the existing solder. Im assuming it must be a higher temp solder or something.

A new heating element is $115, if Hakko even has stock. Not sure because this model is discontinued. New hakko desoldering gun is $300+

So if you were in my situation, what would you do?

received_310020390978202 (resized).jpegreceived_310020390978202 (resized).jpeg
    #4 2 years ago
    Quoted from iamdrunker:

Hope the boy is ok.

He's fine. Handfull of blood and a tough lesson on how to use knives properly.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Yeah, I think I'd be grateful that I didn't start a fire and toss it in the trash. Expensive lesson, but I'm glad your kid turned out ok!

Thanks. I agree. I'm very greatful for that. A friend built me a wooden stand to set my gun in during use and without that, things may have been much worse. Next purchase is a wall plug timer to auto shut off my irons.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from yfz450:

That lead looks like a thermal couple and is silver soldered to the heating element. It can be repaired but needs to be silver soldered with a torch.

Thanks! My friend is going to bring me this dremel torch. Think it will work?

received_929719137976246 (resized).jpegreceived_929719137976246 (resized).jpeg
    #11 2 years ago

Called American Hakko today and it turns out they actually had a new heating element in stock for 57$ Sold!

Went ahead and got on Amazon and bought a 30 minute wall outlet timer. Next time the timer will time out and shut it off.

Lesson learned.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FLASHBALL.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-you-do-10?tu=FLASHBALL and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.