(Topic ID: 26101)

What would you consider the poor mans AC/DC?

By practicalsteve

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Dewey68
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Will be in the market for a new pin soon and while I would really love an AC/DC I will be nowehere near able to afford it. What do you all think is the poor mans AC/DC? Looking for fast with good flow in the 2000-2500 range. Would T2 be a good candidate? I used to love playing that back in the day but have not in a few years. Thanks for the input.

#2 11 years ago
    #4 11 years ago

Anything really. Just turn the amp to 11 and rock out to some AC/DC while you play some pinball

#5 11 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic is a good cheap speed pin. T2 is cool too .

#7 11 years ago

What I am leaning toward so far

I played an f-14 at PPE last weekend, and while I liked it I think it was not set up that well. Think I need to play a nicer one before I jump at that one, but great suggestion.

Quoted from McCune:

Johnny Mnemonic is a good cheap speed pin

I have never played one of those, seems like people like it. Such a dud of a theme though.

#8 11 years ago

Beat me to it.

Dud theme or not, JM trumps T2 any day of the week.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

I have never played one of those, seems like people like it. Such a dud of a theme though.

It's probably the one that will come closest to matching the speed of AC/DC. Some will say it's even faster.

#10 11 years ago

JM is way better than T2, but T2 is similar to AC/DC. AC/DC is much faster though.

#11 11 years ago

No Fear. Has the same voice yelling at you & is super fast. Also has some good music.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#12 11 years ago

I was wondering how long it would take for this answer.

#13 11 years ago

T2 or NoFear

#14 11 years ago

F-14 is one of the fastest most furious action on a pinball. It so fast and flashy I can't play mine with the lights off... On the other hand NF is one of the most annoying pins on the planet. Hard to believe that the same guy designed both of those games. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough... Another thought is BK2000 fun and fast and most importantly fairly cheap... but ACDC is worth saving for...
    Al

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Deadlander:

but ACDC is worth saving for

With a new baby in the house it would take me quite a while to get to that price range.

Quoted from Breadfan:

No Fear. Has the same voice yelling at you & is super fast. Also has some good music.

I just cannot get into that theme at all. I know there is the great debate play v.s. theme and I am one of those wre theme matters when owning a pin. I would definetly play it on location, just can't see it in my game room.

Quoted from Deadlander:

BK2000 fun and fast and most importantly fairly cheap

I like that game, but I don't know about it being a primary pin in a collection. I basically only have 1 other which is a Mata Hari and that one is only on loan.

#16 11 years ago

Why not HS2? Your wishlist has the original. It's fast, it's a Ritchie game, it has a timeless theme (running from the cops) and it can be had for $1500 or less.

#18 11 years ago

F-14 Tomcat can easily be found for under a grand.

#19 11 years ago

Firepower. Maybe Firepower II.

#20 11 years ago

Acdc pro is the poor mans acdc. T2 plays nothing like acdc so if you find those out of your price range I'd look into anything that is on your range with decent flow.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Why not HS2? Your wishlist has the original. It's fast, it's a Ritchie game, it has a timeless theme (running from the cops) and it can be had for $1500 or less.

...and it has ZZ Top so it's *kind of* a music themed game! HS2 is awesome!

#22 11 years ago

Acdc pro is the poor mans acdc. T2 plays nothing like acdc so if you find those out of your price range I'd look into anything that is on your range with decent flow.

#24 11 years ago

I thought BK2000 was a good suggestion.

However, I would save for the Pro if you really like AC/DC. You might even find a good deal on an HUO. I don't think you'll be happy if you settle.

#25 11 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic would be the best "Bang for your buck" pin I think. T2 or T3 would work too.

#26 11 years ago

Big Ben... wait... what's the question?

#27 11 years ago

I have been considering that one more, out here in CA the price is probably closer to 2200-2500

Quoted from Mike_J:

However, I would save for the Pro if you really like AC/DC. You might even find a good deal on an HUO. I don't think you'll be happy if you settle.

Quoted from markmon:

T2 plays nothing like acdc so if you find those out of your price range I'd look into anything that is on your range with decent flow.

Not looking for an exact replica, and my next pin does not have to be AC/DC just looking for a fast flow game and was hoping to get some ideas I had not thought of, which I am.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Deadlander:

F-14 is one of the fastest most furious action on a pinball. It so fast and flashy I can't play mine with the lights off... On the other hand NF is one of the most annoying pins on the planet. Hard to believe that the same guy designed both of those games. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough... Another thought is BK2000 fun and fast and most importantly fairly cheap... but ACDC is worth saving for...
    Al

Hmmm. I've owned my HUO No Fear since 2002 & has survived about a 40 pin rotation. Including titles like T2,RBION,& AFM. I don't play it as much as i did,but someone ALWAYS turns it on whenever we have a party & always a hit. It's one of the first I bought & won't be leaving. Especially now that it has its big brother BIBLE in the house!

#30 11 years ago

Now we are thinking outside the box! You think so? I actually really like the art package and the videos online lead me to believe I would like it, just have not been able to play one.

#31 11 years ago

I wanted to really like this game. But the pro version is not worth it at all. A lot of ball drainers and just not worth it for a new pin. If anything I actually played the Premium version at a pinball event which is so much better of a game and makes you wonder how they can even make the regular pro on this particular game.

#32 11 years ago

I might be in the minority here but I actually like the speed and flow of the pro better and think it is a superior game
    derek

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Breadfan:

Hmmm. I've owned my HUO No Fear since 2002 & has survived about a 40 pin rotation. Including titles like T2,RBION,& AFM. I don't play it as much as i did,but someone ALWAYS turns it on whenever we have a party & always a hit. It's one of the first I bought & won't be leaving. Especially now that it has its big brother BIBLE in the house!

Different strokes I guess... didn't like the cheddary theme and the steve/skull call outs were just grading... Also perhaps it was my lack of skill but a lot of hits to posts so it just wasn't my game but I do own and have owned and liked several SR games (ACDC,BK2K,F-14,HS2,& T2) just not this one... I think its a love it or leave it pin... I see a lot of them flip from collector to collector in our area. At least we agree that AC/DC premium/LE is awesome
    Al

#34 11 years ago

Dud theme or not, JM trumps T2 any day of the week.

Different strokes for different folks. I find JM to be horribly unbalanced as a title, and while T2 has some of the same issues, you can set it up ultra nasty and it is much harder to destroy than JM is.

Honestly, if you want a wacky suggestion, if you can try a VND. It can be super fast (if maintained and set up right, email me for details if you'd like) and has a rock and roll soundtrack by Slash. Warning: A *LOT* of people *HATE* VND, but I think that most of them just haven't played a well set up one.

Read the reviews on IPDB, as I think a lot of them are pretty fair about the differences. I laugh at the batmanjim81 one, as he's one of my best friends and he's talking about my machine there. It ain't for everyone, but it commands $2k-ish tops, and I think is absolutely outstanding... when cared for correctly. I originally scored it a 2.6.

#35 11 years ago

VND?

I didn't particularly care for JM either, but it was fast and better than T2. T2 is one of my least favorite pins of the DMD era.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

I might be in the minority here but I actually like the speed and flow of the pro better and think it is a superior game
    derek

I think you are right....

You are in the minority,.....

#38 11 years ago

Don't insult The Shadow

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I wanted to really like this game. But the pro version is not worth it at all. A lot of ball drainers and just not worth it for a new pin. If anything I actually played the Premium version at a pinball event which is so much better of a game and makes you wonder how they can even make the regular pro on this particular game.

come on down and try my PRO out(IF you don't mind coming to the "POOR" part of town)Many local pinsiders who have played it,would beg to differ...

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

derek

I guess we are both "poor"

#41 11 years ago

Yes, T2 does have a similar layout to AC/DC, but for the life of me, I don't get the "AC/DC is just like T2, etc..). The game plays NOTHING like T2. T2 is a one shot game to the skull. That's it. AC/DC plays NOTHING like that.

My guess is that the people saying this, haven't spent much time on AC/DC.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Yes, T2 does have a similar layout to AC/DC, but for the life of me, I don't get the "AC/DC is just like T2, etc..). The game plays NOTHING like T2. T2 is a one shot game to the skull. That's it. AC/DC plays NOTHING like that.

My guess is that the people saying this, haven't spent much time on AC/DC.

You got it ! AC/DC is superior to many many machines .

Jim

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Don't insult The Shadow

I know right! Shadow should sell for what MM does,or at least AFM.

#44 11 years ago

If you're talking about "flow", I think either High Speed pin would fit the bill.

#45 11 years ago

Get a T2. You can grab them under 2k all day long. It has almost the same setup (left orbit, left ramp, skull/bell, right ramp, right orbit). T2 is an awesome game!

#46 11 years ago

If you could somehow mix T2, NF and HS2, that would be about what you're looking for in that cheap AC/DC clone. All are great games in their own right as well.

I see no relation to JM and AC/DC even though there's a lot of speed/flow in it.

#47 11 years ago

Thanks for all the input, keep it coming.

#48 11 years ago

+1. I had mine set around 6.5 degrees and it was very fast. A clean shot around the orbits was just blazing. And it is relatively cheap.

#49 11 years ago

+2 on Rollergames

Very fast and fun game!

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

+2 on Rollergames
    Very fast and fun game!

I guess I'm +3. Shots that miss the pit can come screaming back at you with those nice yellow rubbers flanking it.

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-you-consider-the-poor-mans-acdc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.