(Topic ID: 210145)

What would you consider a "deep" clean?

By singlezero

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Clear-Skin-Double-Cleanse-Method (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    6ED0E661-285E-456F-BF28-944BD29A9801 (resized).jpeg

#1 6 years ago

i dont recall hearing this term before but i have heard it twice and saw it in an ad for sale . so im wondering if there is a major consensus what is determined to be a "deep" clean ?

#2 6 years ago

If I were to say I'd given something a deep clean it'd have to include cleaning+polishing all metal ball guides, cleaning all posts, etc. Everything that was on the top of the playfield was removed.

#3 6 years ago

Usually a full tear down where everything is removed from the top of the playfield and cleaned. Sometimes it also means everything from the top and bottom of the playfield is removed and cleaned. Sometimes all the metal is also polished and tumbled, sometimes not.

The term is ambiguous. If you really want to know what their "deep clean" involved, you really need to ask them.

#4 6 years ago

Another new buzz word term by the next generation of owners. This is not dentistry.

Inspect the game, inside and out.
    Rarely does an owner conduct a "full restoration" (ie equivalent deep clean), even if they swap playfields or restencil cabinets.

If you want to see a proper reference point, you may look up my Dixieland restoration and associated photos.

#5 6 years ago

I dislike terms, just sell the game with a list of all the stuff you did to it. I have no idea what term to use to describe my games, its better to stick to the facts. I would have thought clean was closer to the use of a rag, and would not expect metal polished etc... but thats just me, never even heard that before so probably not informative.

#6 6 years ago

You may have seen my Twin Win posted today with this term. First time I can remember using the term. I thought it was a good description of how I cleaned up the game because all top side playfield parts were removed and cleaned. I scrub the posts and Polish metal etc... Clean and wax entire playfield surface including removing the upper playfield arch and all the apron parts. I didn't just run a rag over what can be easily cleaned. Deep clean to me means everything taken off and scrubbed.

#7 6 years ago

I guess it would mean a full topside tear down. But it could mean anything To anyone. This is my start of a deep clean. You can see the areas that never got cleand before.

6ED0E661-285E-456F-BF28-944BD29A9801 (resized).jpeg6ED0E661-285E-456F-BF28-944BD29A9801 (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

Hmmm....no Neutrogena jokes....not the usual Saturday crowd....

Clear-Skin-Double-Cleanse-Method (resized).jpgClear-Skin-Double-Cleanse-Method (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

I would think anyone using the term "deep clean" is not a pin head.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from StylesBitchly:

I would think anyone using the term "deep clean" is not a pin head.

Naw most non pinheads don't even know the glass comes off.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinballer:

You may have seen my Twin Win posted today with this term. First time I can remember using the term. I thought it was a good description of how I cleaned up the game because all top side playfield parts were removed and cleaned. I scrub the posts and Polish metal etc... Clean and wax entire playfield surface including removing the upper playfield arch and all the apron parts. I didn't just run a rag over what can be easily cleaned. Deep clean to me means everything taken off and scrubbed.

Yes you are correct i did see that ad and saw that. and just last week someone that restores pins(rather nicely i might add) called me inquiring what machines i might have available for him to do a "deep" clean on amongst other things to take to allentown this year. i sort of assumed that was what was meant and didnt think of it so much as a buzz word in your ad but not sure if it were to include disassembly of all mechanicals and such. i was just curious . i just have finished doing much of the same for a hokus pokus yesterday and not that i plan on selling it but wondered if i had done a "deep" clean. ill take it to mean a tear down of the pf to do a proper job. learning this hobby and a bit overwhelmed to the lengths people go to bring machines back to pristine condition in all facets of the machine, i at least am grateful that i have instilled that amount of work and it seems with each one , one just goes a bit further.

m not sure if it is a buzz word for others but i think ill incorporate it as that particular process.

Good luck with your sale!

#12 6 years ago

Naw most non pinheads don't even know the glass comes off.

Could be a dentist as dental deep cleaning is under the gums!

#13 6 years ago

Ha - thought this was a thread for feminine hygiene products. Wondered what the heck it was doing on Pinside

#14 6 years ago

To me, a "deep clean" would be the same as a shop job (not quite a full on restoration, with touch ups and decal replacements, etc) as you may as well fix issues while you got it torn apart and the goal is to end up with a clean, working game:

Full topside strip. PF cleaned, buffed and waxed. New rubbers and posts if needed. All underside mechs removed, cleaned and rebuilt. Cab scrubbed inside and out, bottom sanded to remove any stains and bad smells, and vacuumed out. Boards all removed, cleaned under, inspected and repaired as needed and replaced. Harnesses at least blown out with compressed air and a wipe down. Inserts cleaned and all lamps replaced. All glass cleaned inside and out, including displays and translite. Legs polished and levelers / bolts replaced if dull or rusty. Coin door and lock down latch (almost always the filthiest parts of the game) cleaned. Finally, replace beer seal.

There are a lot of places dirt will hide in a pin, ever clean under your transformer?

#15 6 years ago

Shopped, deep cleaned...Complete BS. I was sold a Getaway from a so called reputable person and they charged me an extra $200 or $300, can’t remember the exact price to have it “cleaned up” from being on route. Anyway, first game to check it out, the ball shooter wouldn’t even go thru the first loop to the upper right flipper. Had to be adjusted. Lamps out, mixture of incandescent and LEDS. Supercharger wouldn’t do more than 2 or 3 loops because the coil that keeps the gate opened wasn’t wired, came loose. No fuckin thanks, I’d rather do it myself and I wouldn’t call it shopping out, I would call it just caring about my games.

#16 6 years ago

Yeah very few guys will do as good a job for you as you do for yourself. That's why I honestly prefer a dirty game to a "clean" one especially if it saves me a few hundo.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Shopped, deep cleaned...Complete BS. I was sold a Getaway from a so called reputable person and they charged me an extra $200 or $300, can’t remember the exact price to have it “cleaned up” from being on route. Anyway, first game to check it out, the ball shooter wouldn’t even go thru the first loop to the upper right flipper. Had to be adjusted. Lamps out, mixture of incandescent and LEDS. Supercharger wouldn’t do more than 2 or 3 loops because the coil that keeps the gate opened wasn’t wired, came loose. No fuckin thanks, I’d rather do it myself and I wouldn’t call it shopping out, I would call it just caring about my games.

You're taking about two different things. Cleaning to me does not mean fixing.

1 week later
    #18 6 years ago

All these terms like “deep clean” or “shopped” are all speculative and mean different things to different people. Someone says I have over 40 hours into a game but don’t say what they did in those 40 hours.I have seen eBay ads where a guy says museum quality with over 400 hours minimum into the game. Those you can take with a grain of salt. Best bet is word of mouth from buyers who will praise a seller for the work they do in fixing up a game. Just about every game I own I have put extensive hours into refurbishing it and extensive parts when needed but then I don’t do it with the intention of selling it with stupid prices. I generally don’t sell many games so when I do I pass on my work so that someone else can enjoy it. After all it is not always about the money

#19 6 years ago

Never heard of this new dumbass term.

#20 6 years ago

You're taking about two different things. Cleaning to me does not mean fixing.

This is 100% accurate.
    Many people can clean, often improperly (insert Windex or WD40 joke here), but few know how to correctly repair.
    It makes no difference if the game is EM or SS.
    See my original post regarding inspection, and reference.
    There is a reason I prefer to buy games unshopped, untouched, and unrestored, and it not often about the price.
    The most important aspect is "complete" and "cosmetically solid" (inspecting for broken assemblies and parts).

Any "full restoration" of a game will take a minimum of 400+ hours and often up to 1000 or more.
    Only several thousand people have the expertise to do that level of work, dedication to complete the job properly, especially as hobbyists either due to time, money, or life priorities.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-you-consider-a-deep-clean and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.