(Topic ID: 265459)

What would you choose? Star wars Data East or SW Stern Pro?

By Mafia_Metals

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinzrfun
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200408_132905 (resized).jpg
20200408_122952 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I'm in the market for a star wars machine. The few I've been looking at are the Star wars by Data East and the newer one by stern Pro version. Data east is around 3k while a new or like new stern pro is 5k or so. Which gives you most gameplay for cost and maybe more fun? Any opinions appreciated

#3 4 years ago

Data East Star Wars is the ultimate machine. Pinsound brings it to an untouchable level. That game has mods galore available. It definitely has the best art package easily. 2nd is Sega’s Star Wars. Basically Sega was Data East continued. So it was there second crack at it. Better gameplay, but art not so much.

What matters more, complete theme integration? DE Star Wars.
A solid player with good rules? Sega Star Wars Trilogy.
A mediocre modern game? Stern’s Star Wars. It’s there 3rd time doing the license so I am blown away it wasn’t a home run. I’ve played Stern’s many times,
have never played the Data East, and I’ve played Trilogy once. For the money you can get the DE or Sega for half the Stern and they’re just better games.

#4 4 years ago

Stern Star Wars Pro.

It’s super drainy but the best of the bunch.

You should pick up a used one in the mid 4000s ... there have been a number listed in that range. Cheapest I have seen is 4000 for a routed one.

rd

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

A mediocre modern game? Stern’s Star Wars. It’s there 3rd time doing the license so I am blown away it wasn’t a home run. I’ve played Stern’s many times,

Sorry but this is crap. I've owned all the SW's games and Stern SW's pro for me is easily the best of the bunch. Now if its toys u want stuck all over the PF then I can't help you but for game play it really isn't close in my opinion. Now when someone states that the DE star wars is the ultimate machine then how can u take anything else they say seriously. You can't. Grab the Stern pro and don't look back.

#6 4 years ago

Um...Star Wars premium comic art edition
Hyper loop is the single coolest toy/gimmick ever put into a pinball machine bar none!

#7 4 years ago

They are all fun, but Stern Star Wars will keep you busiest the longest. If money is no option a pro or premium comic book art is the way to go. If you have the abilility to check them out after the end of the world, I would recommend playing both a pro and a premium if you can find them localish on pinside maps. The premium has the cool hyperloop, but the pro deathstar shot is substantially easier. I will also say that if you have kids 12 or under, absolutely go with the Stern Star Wars for the video clips. My young un's used to like to be the designated "button pusher" and tag team the game. The Stern game is great from a variety point of view as there are so many different ways to play it. If you don't like the combo multiplier gimick, just move it over to the death star and leave it there. Also, from a furniture point of view, think about where you will place this. The Data East in particular isn't a looker, but depending on the them you are into you may have a case for any of the machines.

Finally, think about what you want. One of my favorite all time games was the Data East Jurassic Park. It's ugly, it's clunky, but I just had alot of fun playing it. I have a Stern JP Pro now. It's fun too and much deeper, but fun in a different way. There is no real wrong answer and your mileage will vary, so get what you want!

#8 4 years ago

have never played the Data East, and I’ve played Trilogy once. For the money you can get the DE or Sega for half the Stern and they’re just better games.

??????? WTF

#10 4 years ago

Data East Star Wars is the ultimate machine. Pinsound brings it to an untouchable level. That game has mods galore available. It definitely has the best art package easily. 2nd is Sega’s Star Wars. Basically Sega was Data East continued. So it was there second crack at it. Better gameplay, but art not so much.
What matters more, complete theme integration? DE Star Wars.
A solid player with good rules? Sega Star Wars Trilogy.

Stern is the best of the three. This guy ^^^^ has no clue. You have never played data east and you played trilogy one time.

#11 4 years ago

Stern Star Wars and it’s not close. Try and find the comic book one. That art is incredible.

#12 4 years ago

SW Pro. Owned DE for a while but just got tired of hearing that soundtrack. I guess its an easy fix with Pinsound these days.
Yes comic version all the way!

#13 4 years ago

Neither.

Buy yourself an iron maiden and bolt it to the floor. Replace all the Eddie figures with droids if you have to.

#14 4 years ago

Get the Stern . The old star wars games appeal about 5 minutes. The phantom menace was probably the best one. The data east and Sega ones are bad.

#15 4 years ago

I had the misfortune of owning two DE SW. Boring. Not much to do. So glad they are gone.

Stern is probably the best bet.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I had the misfortune of owning two DE SW. Boring. Not much to do. So glad they are gone.
Stern is probably the best bet.

I caught the DE one down at Allentown.. I like Data East but it did not exactly set my wallet on fire. Some of the worst art of any DE title.

#17 4 years ago

The only thing good about the Data East Star Wars is that it was Star Wars. Just an all around boring shoot one ramp game. Was the R2 D2 cool, yup. Spinning Death Star, kind of neat. Enough to make fanboys shell out big bucks and keep the price on this turd sky high, apparently so.
If you are limiting yourself to a Star Wars theme only because you like Star Wars, buy any of them. If you like playing pinball and think Star Wars is a fun theme, do your self a favor and don't limit yourself to only Star Wars.

#18 4 years ago

I prefer the Stern one deeper rule set more to do and the LCD screen.

#19 4 years ago

Picked up a lightly used like new Stern Pro in box being sent to my house tomorrow! Will post pics once set up, I'm pretty excited. Got it at a deal too

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Mafia_Metals:

Picked up a lightly used like new Stern Pro in box being sent to my house tomorrow! Will post pics once set up, I'm pretty excited. Got it at a deal too

Congrats. I think you made the better choice.

#21 4 years ago

Huge Steve Richie and Star Wars fan and I recommend the Data East Star Wars. The Stern Star Wars should have been an instant buy for me and I just don't love it.

I recently purchased the Data East and with updated code and sound it is a lot of fun. Really like the toys and guests have fun hitting the ramp loop. Is it the best machine ever made, nope. Does it represent the Star Wars universe well and is it fun, yup.

Comic book art Stern looks awesome and I may end up buying a translite but I think Richie's Stern Star Trek is more fun to play.

Edit: Oops I see I am late here. Enjoy the new machine!

#22 4 years ago

Love it! Well worth the money

20200408_122952 (resized).jpg20200408_122952 (resized).jpg20200408_132905 (resized).jpg20200408_132905 (resized).jpg
#23 4 years ago

Great choice, enjoy it

#24 4 years ago

um, can i come play it? You can play my Star Wars DE.......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-you-choose-star-wars-data-east-or-sw-stern-pro?hl=electronmagic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.