7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Matt_Rasmussen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago

So many people suggesting WCS. I want this to be my first pin but have never seen it at the prices people are claiming you can get it at. But if it's one thing I've learned in my short time here on Pinside, it's patience (not really, but I'm trying very hard).

Quoted from mccoy2797:

We also need to stop being so desperate, and be patient. The prices are getting too high.

Seeing things like this also helps. After 20 years of wanting a pin, I now have a couple thousand dollars to make it happen. But sometimes feel like I'm getting in at a real bad time due to the recent rise in prices. But the best part is YOU! Yes YOU Pinside. I've been invited to many peoples houses and will soon be taking some of them up on it. So even if I can't buy yet, I can still play the game I love and meet great people. THANK YOU!!

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from LordCrom:

I'll keep an eye out for your upcoming listings. I can see being interesting in any of those

CFTBL, WH2O, AFM, MM, TZ, AddamsFamily, SS, MB, PinBot, Jackbot
I want to thank everyone again for all your ideas. I've started attempting to use Pinside and Craigslist exclusively for my search and stay away from eBay. You guys have also introduced me to some games I should be keeping an eye out for that I hadn't been before.

Without repair experience I would buy from a local collector who has gone through the game.
You may pay a little more but it will be worth it since chances are he will help you with problems and show you some simple repair tips.
If you buy a polished Eturd you are going to spend a lot of money in parts and a tech to get the game up to speed.

#54 7 years ago

$2700 is precisely what you need to get started in pinball, and not a dollar less.

Purchase in this order:

Recommended Starter Kit ($900)
$450 penguin cart from penguinamusement.com
$300 tools (see pinrestore.com and get almost everything up there under "tools")
$50 cleaners (novus 1-2-3/wax/metal polish/brushes/rags)
$100 beer for when friends come over more often

Pinball ($1500-$1750)
$1400-$1600 for a nice Diner / Taxi / Grand Lizard -- any fun system 11 from 1986-1991 (There are about 25 great machines to choose from in that era). Perhaps for your first one, try not to get something with deep layered ramps that will take you forever to disassemble to change a bulb or rubber. Go for flat and simple playfield on the first one to get your feet wet.

Small Parts that match your machine ($50-$300)
$50 for bulbs/rubbers
$25-225 for replacement ramps, minor broken plastics, etc.

I just got started 3 months ago, and if I didn't have what's in my Starter Kit (thanks to my friends pushing me to invest up front) -- I'd be a very unhappy man. I've purchased four machines from fair to very good quality and have implemented 10-40 fixes in each one. Have chosen to repair ramps than buy new ones for $100. But I keep the cash on hand in the budget for each one in case I go that route.

You say you don't know how to repair machines. You'll want to distinguish "repairing" between diagnosing backbox motherboard/power/wiring diagnosis/repairs, and playfield repairs (aligning/rewiring switches, and cleaning/waxing/replacing plastics). Most of the playfield stuff is well explained on the internet -- how to repair/replace/polish/clean/wax, etc. I encourage you to treat this like maintaining the interior/exterior of your car (easy and doable). Treat the backbox repairs like working on the engine block (let a repairman do that). So definitely arm yourself with tools for all the playfield work -- it's very rewarding and for the most part -- easy.

And finally, I'd say tuck away another $1500 for your second pin. You'll want one you can play while you work on the other. Oh, and once you've done that, sock away another $1500 for the third one, and then after that...

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from DEWSHO:

So many people suggesting WCS. I want this to be my first pin but have never seen it at the prices people are claiming you can get it at. But if it's one thing I've learned in my short time here on Pinside, it's patience (not really, but I'm trying very hard).

If you have 2k to spend you should be able to find a really really nice WCS for that. Should be excellent from top to bottom for that price. I've seen nice ones for 1700-1800 very recently on here.

#56 7 years ago

WPT in excellent condition should be doable around $2000 - $2400. Plus an alternate translite for about $90.

FT, WCS, BSD are 20 years old so you'll want to get a really nice example if you don't want any maintenance. Really nice ones will cost you more than average examples - so probably about $2500 for each ballpark.

Of course if you factor in "California pricing" then add about $300 to whatever the midwest guys tell you a game sells for.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

If you have 2k to spend you should be able to find a really really nice WCS for that. Should be excellent from top to bottom for that price. I've seen nice ones for 1700-1800 very recently on here.

I'm keeping an eagle eye out for one. Who knows, maybe the MGC will be lucky for me. If not ill just have to wait for ralphwiggum to get bored of his ES. Now I need to look into this "starter kit" of which user mof speaks. I take it I can find it here on pinside?
And thanks for the encouragement!

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from chill:

WPT in excellent condition should be doable around $2000 - $2400. Plus an alternate translite for about $90.

If you have space for only one pin, I would go for WPT too! (and the alternative translite...)

If you can accomodate two... I have seen a thread where someone could buy Stargate + Terminator 2 for less than $2500. That would be tempting. Or one DMD + earlier SS.
Endless possibilities...

#59 7 years ago

Could still find a Fish Tales for that price I'm sure.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

$2700 is precisely what you need to get started in pinball, and not a dollar less.
Purchase in this order:
Recommended Starter Kit ($900)
$450 penguin cart from penguinamusement.com
$300 tools (see pinrestore.com and get almost everything up there under "tools")
$50 cleaners (novus 1-2-3/wax/metal polish/brushes/rags)
$100 beer for when friends come over more often

I think that might be a little excessive. Don't think you need the cart unless you plan on having 20 machines. I have standard tools and have been able to work on everything. No need to spend $300. Spend that $900 on a machine.

#61 7 years ago

Personally, I'd suggest Fish Tales (if you don't mind something on the challenging side.) If you're patient, you should be able to find a nice one near the bottom of the range you're looking in. There's not too much to go wrong on the game mechanically, it's not super complex to clean, and is a LOT of fun.

#62 7 years ago

I would say with that money, TS or hs2 would be on my list, with some left over, in fact they are on my wish list!

#63 7 years ago

I'd troll CL for deals. If you aren't up for that, I'd use the money to buy 2 or 3 System 11s. One pin just isn't enough....

Chris

#65 7 years ago

WPT

is really good....

#66 7 years ago

Yeah, as a few people have said, actually keeping an eye on craiglist, RGP, and ebay for local deals is a good way to go!

See what comes up cheap, and see where it falls in the rankings. Go play it, see if you like it, buy it. Best way to do it, really... I stumbled on my Dredd by finding a listing on RGP, I think. Not entirely sure, but anyhow, went out and played it, and was too enamored to pass it up.

#67 7 years ago

losangeles.craigslist.org link

losangeles.craigslist.org link

there's two starship troopers that are local for you.

#68 7 years ago

I saw those, but I don't recall anyone making a strong recommendation for it. Would you recommend it? I see the prices are wide apart and both seem high for the average on Pinside. What is a fair price to offer?

#69 7 years ago

With so many people recommending WCS I found this ad OP.

World Cup Soccer, 1994 Bally: 1800
Clean, no codes, plays well. Cointaker led inserts, recently rebuilt flippers including coils and great lakes modular flipper boards. Fun game but recently was ok'd by the misses to buy a aaa title. Email for high res pictures. Pick up only.
Todd
toddnappi@gmail.com, Collingswood, New Jersey, 10 minutes from center city Philadelphia

I've been advised to buy my first pin in person if possible (waiting for the MGC) but if someone can vouch for seller maybe OP could have it shipped. Best price I've seen for WCS yet. Makes me t t twitch

1 week later
#70 7 years ago

I think $2500 to $3000 is one of those strange price ranges where their isn't all that much value. You'd have to get really lucky to find something like a Star Trek: The Next Generation or Creature from the Black Lagoon in that price range. If I had that much money to spend I'd probably buy machine for $1500 to $2000 and save the $500. Although, I don't thing The Shadow would be out of the question for right around $3000.

PS: I'm currently looking for a BSD, JP or WCS in TriState: WI, IA, IL is anyone know of something.

Here are machines you should consider...

Star Trek: The Next Generation (+)
Funhouse
Creature from the Black Lagoon (+)
The Shadow
Bram Stoker's Dracula (-)
No Good Gofers
Revenge From Mars
Road Show (Red & Teds)
Fish Tales (-)
Champion Pub (+)
Congo (-)
Elvira and the Party Monsters
Jurassic Park (-)
Tommy Pinball Wizard
Corvette
Junk Yard
WHO dunnit (-)
Ripley's Believe It or Not!
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
The Sopranos
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
World Poker Tour
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Big Buck Hunter Pro
Wheel of Fortune

#72 7 years ago

assuming you don't find a bargain on a top title I'll throw my hat in for RBION. Would make a great single pin as it doesn't rely on a single gimicky shot for it's fun. Loads of depth and beginers can enjoy some of the modes too.

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from sb80:

If you wait youll find a CFTBL or Whitewater in that range. Players quality but somebodys broke with one or both and eventually like fate youll meet.Bring cash.

Maybe its just my area but it would be very hard to find either of these machines for that price, I would jump on both 2500-2700 bucks. However, the lowest I have seen these titles in my area is 3500 and that was before the prices shot of (last 6-8 months).

#74 7 years ago

I laugh at the comments here sometimes. There is just no way that you can buy the machines most of you are talking about at the prices you mention. Like Rusty, I'd buy a Whirlwind and Pinbot for 2700. There is NO way in hell you could get those two games for 2700 bucks, absolutely no way.

Get real people, the prices you think are real are simply not today. Pretty sure the guy wants the pins soon, not 10 years from now.

You can probably find a single game for that kind of money if you're looking for a 'newer' DMD style game, or, a system 11 with an older early 80's game. Maybe something like probably my favorite game, HS2, along with a game maybe like Flash Gordon, and that would be a good deal for 2700 bucks IMO.

#76 7 years ago

Ah what the heck...you're new to the hobby, so I'll recommend games a new comer would enjoy...as someone mentioned earlier Funhouse! This is a crowd pleaser, you'll like it, the wife will like it, the kids will like it, the in-laws, the neighbors and the handyman working on your garage door will like it.. Also F-14 Tomcat would be a good companion to the stop and go style of Funhouse...later you can add Judge Judy..er.. I mean Judge Dredd ( I heard JJP is working on JJ) to the line up and if you're very lucky you can add a Johnny Mneumanic and Demolition man..eventually you will parking your car outside the garage and your wife would be seeing the handyman...yay! Good luck

#77 7 years ago

Doctor Who is the only correct answer and you should be able to get it under $2K.

#78 7 years ago

POPEYE!

#79 7 years ago

how is that game? That is the game that i haven't played that i want to play the most just because of how much people rag on it. That and Bugs Bunny's Birthday Bash or whatever that is.

#80 7 years ago

You can polish a turd, but it's still Popeye underneath.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Doctor Who is the only correct answer and you should be able to get it under $2K.

I totally agree - and you could prolly get some shiny new ramps from Pinball Inc. as well within that budjet.

Love mine!

#82 7 years ago

Can't go wrong with any of the System 11s.

#83 7 years ago

For your price range you would be spending basically what I did on both of mine. I spent $2500 on both my machines 4 months ago. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I'd say do what I did buy two machines that are 10 years apart. If I feel like just playing some pinball with not a lot of thinking im jumping on Space Shuttle. If I want to play a pin with more skill shots I'm jumping on JM. Keeps the variety alive. If I only had one machine I think it would get boring quickly.

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I'd troll CL for deals. If you aren't up for that, I'd use the money to buy 2 or 3 System 11s. One pin just isn't enough....Chris

The word I assume you meant is 'trawl'. 'Trolling' is something quite different.

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

You can polish a turd, but it's still Popeye underneath.

That"turd"is a better game than anything you own. I've sold games like T2,Shadow,AFM,& RBION,& that turd still sits in the line up.

#86 7 years ago

Wow WOZ, quite the huff for a simple joke. I'm just a small fish in your vast sea of awesomeness.

#87 7 years ago

Congo is one of the best options in the $2500 range. It's one of the few pins that CAN be your only pin for a good, long while.

#88 7 years ago

I would go with Congo Or JM both great machines for the price.

#89 7 years ago

Fish Tales, depending on condition, could be higher or lower than your price range.

#91 7 years ago

You can get a T2 to hold you over and then keep saving!

#92 7 years ago

The OP hasn't posted in a week. Probably bought something and is playing pinball instead.

#93 7 years ago

Yup, looks like WPT according to his avatar tags.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 13.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Machine - For Sale
Manchester Township, NJ
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside