1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

breaking-bad-walter-white.gif
5339133da02b4791dc6b377a13626c6b918d5fb4 (resized).jpg
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago

Stern Star Trek Pro is really a fun machine. If you have more money available, Dead Pool Pro is great too. Out of your list, I'm guessing that either of the Teen Age Mutant Ninja Turtles machines or the Data East Simpsons will be the easiest to locate and purchase.

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from _silverburst_:

I am looking to purchase my first pinball

Now that you’ve settled on TMNT for first, what is on your list for 2nd? and third, etc… Clearly you’ve been bitten and there is no inoculation. No going back.

Jokes aside, my first one lasted about 3-4 months before the second arrived. Once that happened, all down(up?)hill from there…

Have fun and see ya around!

#53 1 year ago

Stern TMNT is the easy pick here given it’s one of the few recent Sterns that has dropped quite a bit in price since it was released and it’s a deep, challenging game. Only drawback is that it’s REALLY damn hard, so if it’s your only game…you’re in for some frustration.

TSPP is solid but not worth what they’re going for currently imo and can be a nightmare to troubleshoot for a new owner.

I defend DE games normally but DE TMNT and DE Simpsons are both some of the worst games of their era. Don’t be tempted with the thinking “2 games is better than 1!”. That is normally sound logic and I’d recommend it, but not with those dumpster fires of games

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

Now that you’ve settled on TMNT for first, what is on your list for 2nd? and third, etc… Clearly you’ve been bitten and there is no inoculation. No going back.
Jokes aside, my first one lasted about 3-4 months before the second arrived. Once that happened, all down(up?)hill from there…
Have fun and see ya around!

breaking-bad-walter-white.gifbreaking-bad-walter-white.gif
#55 1 year ago

Hi Everyone,
Complete newbie here - very grateful for such an awesome site and community and the opportunity to be part of it.
I am looking to purchase my first pinball and would love your feedback and opinions on the following games I’m interested in (in order of preference):
1. The Simpsons Pinball Party
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Program (Stern)
3. Wonka
4. Simpsons (DE)
5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (DE)
6. Star Trek TNG
I probably can’t do Wonka right now at today’s prices though.
Some of the input I would love to hear are:
- Pricing
- Ease of maintenance (parts, support)
- Enjoyment
- Ease of buying
- Anything else I should think about
- if you could get only one which one
My budget would be $5 - $7K but I’d like to be all in (shipping, assembly etc.) - also would appreciate any input on this too.
Thanks so much in advance.

- Pricing

This is what matters the most. If you can't afford it, there really isn't a point. Here is a breakdown of the approximate current value of each:

1. The Simpsons Pinball Party ($8,000)
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pro ($6,000)
3. Wonka ($8,250)
4. Simpsons (DE) ($2,750)
5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (DE) ($3,500)
6. Star Trek TNG ($6,500)

TSPP and Wonka are out of the picture. TMNT pro and STTNG are near the top of your budget, so staying within your perameters would require local pickup or cheap shipping. DE Simpsons and DE TMNT are cheap enough that you could actually afford both...which certainly could be a consideration given your available space.

- Ease of maintenance (parts, support)

Maintenance is part of owning pinballs. Pinside is a great source for info, and there are tutorials and pages available on the internet. Support is very poor for most machines (and non-existent for defunct companies). The simple answer here is to buy newer, which would likely garner more support and parts...in which only Stern TMNT pro would make sense.
You could also look for pin techs in your area and/or learn to maintenance them yourself...which would open it up to all games.
For what it's worth, more complex games with more parts add an element of difficulty. Out of the pins you can afford, STTNG would top the difficulty list.

- Enjoyment

This is incredibly subjective. Have you played all these games extensively? I recommend you do.
If you can't, I would suggest online videos of gameplay or checking into video pinball games you can play to get an idea.
While it may not align with everyone's exact feelings, the pinside top 100 is a PHENOMENAL place to get an idea of what most people find enjoyable.

- Ease of buying

Easy answer: TMNT pro

More detailed answer: This really depends on what's available. Newer games are typically easier to find, and also games with higher production numbers will be more plentiful. On the flip side...sought after games tend to get kept by collectors longer (e.g. not as readily available). A quick look at pinside, eBay, Facebook marketplace, and Craigslist should give you an idea of what's available now. Beware: things change quickly. There can be six of the same pin available one day and zero the next.

- Anything else I should think about

Several things:
*Do you plan on getting more?
*How much space do you have?
*Will anyone else be playing that you would want to cater to (significant other, kids, friends, family, guests, etc.)?
* How good of a player are you?
*Are any of these games currently on location near you or in an accessible collection close by?
*How technically saavy are you?
*Do you plan on keeping it the rest of your life or switching out occasionally? If switching out, how frequently?
*Have you considered any other pins? If so, which ones?
*Are you buying local or shipping?
*Is there a distributor near you?
*Do you prefer 'flow' games or 'stop and go'?
*How do you rate things like replayability vs. looks vs. toys/gimmicks, etc ?

- if you could get only one which one

This is a loaded question because everyone has different price points, current collections, spacing, etc. Example: I would get Wonka...but that doesn't help you since it is clearly above your budget.

If I were in your shoes, I would internally ask a few very important questions as to where your values lie. Is price the most important? Replayability? Support? Without knowing what you value the highest, it is really impossible to say.

Final thoughts:

As I see it, given your perameters...you have a few options:

1) if you prefer newer games that are easier to find with more support...TMNT pro is the choice.

2) if waiting isn't a problem and you think you can get super lucky on price or have other-worldly negotiating skills...you can try to find a TSPP and talk someone down into your price range.

3) if you prefer more options, get both DE Simpsons and DE TMNT. They are combined still in your budget.

4) if you want the highest rated game with fantastic longevity and great replayability, STTNG is your game. You seem to have been discouraged on this one, but weight really isn't a big deal since they all weigh a lot and most people aren't moving them around more than once or twice total. There are more parts (hence the added weight) that also means something could need repair down the line, but then again...ALL machines eventually need repair, and...they are built like tanks, so you may not have any issues for a very, very long time, if at all.

Food for thought:

You seem to gravitate towards pop culture style pins with movie/tv ties, dmd and newer, and at the same time seem have a penchant for cartoons. There are several other pins that you haven't mentioned which would certainly fit into this wheelhouse: LOTR, the shadow, Family guy/Shrek, Hot wheels, and Jurassic Park (DE and stern). Theme seems pretty important to you, but you want to also consider value. STTNG, LOTR, the shadow, DE Jurassic park or stern Jurassic Park the home pin, and hot wheels all have top tier value when considering ratings, replayability, and cost

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Houdini has the very tight ramp shots (as in too tight) which makes it very frustrating for all but the very best players;
Walking Dead has very dangerous shots - orbits go in or out of the pops, the drops are dangerous, the Woodbury shot is difficult;
B.S. Dracula - Outlanes are brutal, all around tough shots;
Ghostbusters - Shots are tight and dangerous, flipper spacing wide which leads to short ball times, magno-slings near the flippers.
These are all great games though - just not for starting out.

You nailed it. Not only are they brutal for all the reasons above, but also when your family and friends want to get into a game with you, and you - the expert pinball player or the one leading them intno playing the game - getting your ass handed to you does not inspire much confidence. My ex wife enjoyed pinball with me, but TWD just made her give up. She stopped playing pinball because the game was so brutal for her. She lost all interest.

Obviously that's a subjective case. If your family and friends are "chill and have fun" pinball players who "flail and pray" - get a Scared Stiff or Attack from Mars. Nearly anyone can blow up a saucer even with random flailing of the flippers and have fun, while dedicated and serious players can go for Rule the Universe.

Get BSD/TWD/Housdini/GB when you have a 5+ pin collection and there's some variety. No one wants to get their ass handed to them and that's nearly the only game to play as an option. Let them have fun with an easier game first, and then give them the opportunity to step up to the challenge at their leisure.

You did good getting TMNT. It's a theme that appeals to generations and has enough "ooo shiney" to distract them from flaws (like the aforementioned Turtles MB).

#57 1 year ago

SDpinballer - good question - I’m not entirely sure. I think I need to think about like can I navigate maintenance or troubleshooting. If I get an EM that could be terrifying for someone with little experience but that said it could also be a chance to explore and enjoy this hobby in a different way and learn more. I think to get more out of maybe something that is from the 1990s and a different theme. My neighbor has a Corvette that I may learn more about from him. The room I’m housing all this isn’t that big as well. I would like to do something thematically different but also keep the interest from wife/son etc so I may look at a Star Wars one of some sort or Simpsons. I want to try to keep my wife interested and happy and I feel those would be better.

Daditude - one day I’ll get the wonka one day - thanks for such an awesome response.

NPO and ReadyPO - all of this is extremely value add. I would never have thought about it from a playability perspective. I was thinking maybe they were just unreliable or have a lot of maintenance or hard to find parts etc.

#58 1 year ago

look for the best deal in your driving area and grab it. Play it untill your board and sell it. Start over and once you find keepers your budget for another pin will magically grow.

#59 1 year ago

None of those games.. Simpsons Pinball Party if I had to .. Only because I've never owned one.

#60 1 year ago

SDpinballer - good question - I’m not entirely sure. I think I need to think about like can I navigate maintenance or troubleshooting. If I get an EM that could be terrifying for someone with little experience but that said it could also be a chance to explore and enjoy this hobby in a different way and learn more. I think to get more out of maybe something that is from the 1990s and a different theme. My neighbor has a Corvette that I may learn more about from him. The room I’m housing all this isn’t that big as well. I would like to do something thematically different but also keep the interest from wife/son etc so I may look at a Star Wars one of some sort or Simpsons. I want to try to keep my wife interested and happy and I feel those would be better.
Daditude - one day I’ll get the wonka one day - thanks for such an awesome response.
NPO and ReadyPO - all of this is extremely value add. I would never have thought about it from a playability perspective. I was thinking maybe they were just unreliable or have a lot of maintenance or hard to find parts etc.

For all the hell Stern gets here, their games are pretty bullet proof.

I have no experience with Houdini in terms of mx.

BSD can be a lot of upkeep depending on how well it has been maintained through the years. I have had 3 of them. The 1st one was a mx nightmare. Took months to get it like a tank. My most recent one was a juggernaut - never went down one time in almost 4 years.

#61 1 year ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Houdini has the very tight ramp shots (as in too tight) which makes it very frustrating for all but the very best players;
Walking Dead has very dangerous shots - orbits go in or out of the pops, the drops are dangerous, the Woodbury shot is difficult;
B.S. Dracula - Outlanes are brutal, all around tough shots;
Ghostbusters - Shots are tight and dangerous, flipper spacing wide which leads to short ball times, magno-slings near the flippers.
These are all great games though - just not for starting out.

Agree on the first two, not on the last.

Played BSD for the first time a month or two ago, highly entertaining and by the third game utterly crushing it.

Ghostbusters I own and the alleged "flipper gap" is hardly an issue. Shots off the two drop targets are far, far more hazardous and apt to come right back in your face should you unwisely choose to take direct shots at them.

Ghostbusters is awesome with a playfield chuck full of things to shoot at and excellent use of movie assets.

And I would state I'm a below average player.

2 weeks later
#62 1 year ago

The Simpsons Pinball Party: Prices are on the higher end but this is a great game, deeper code and easy to sell or trade. Holds value.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pro (Stern): Priced fairly, beautiful art, multiple modes/battles but a tougher game for new players.

Wonka: Spendy yet beautiful game; didn't click with me from a game play perspective. I would personally suggest WOZ, POTC, Hobbit or Dialed-In over this title if it's a JJP you are after but those can also be pricey.

Simpsons (DE): On the cheaper side, fun, easier, not very deep, older game. Find one in good condition. This is probably the "bang for your buck" out of what you have listed.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (DE): I would advise you to avoid this game. I know, the license is very appealing but you will see everything this pin has to offer within 30 minutes and will hear everything this pin has to offer in 8 minutes. A mindless repetitive shooter, sadly shallow.

6. Star Trek TNG: This game has a lot of fans but the word is the game tends to have issues. If you are not repair savvy or don't have access to a repair person do your research before diving in. Once it's all dialed-in this game can be very fun and it sells/trades fairly easily.

Some suggestons:

Rollergames: Not too pricey, cheesy, tacky yet fun with great music and shots. Trust me.
Lethal Weapon 3: 3 soundtrack options, cheap-ish, chaotic gameplay, gun modes, keeps you on your toes with a great ramp.
The Shadow: Getting spendy. Don't let the license push you away, this game is a lot of fun. Great shots, upper play field, beautiful play field art.
Godzilla (Premium): On the more expensive side but that may change here soon with more being made and the announcement of Bond as people may start selling some titles for more reasonable prices. Don't pay over retail!
Jurassic Park (Premium): Great shooter, lousy play field and translite art. I see this game for sale often but it's a lot of fun.
Avengers AIQ (Pro or Premium): Beautiful game, so much to look at and shoot. Good code.

2 months later
#63 1 year ago

Thanks everyone!!!!

Small update, I did get the TMNT and I absolutely love it. I think it was the right one to start off with, it is a lot of fun and is challenging to stay engaged! I did put in a shaker and some side side panels. Was super scared! I can’t play as much with the little guy who we were blessed with but it makes me enjoy it even more.

Thank you so so so much!! I am so happy to be more integrated in this hobby. You’re all awesome. Happy holidays!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
Apple Valley, CA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.00
Machine - For Sale
Burnaby, BC
$ 63.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 45.95
$ 5.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Overland Park, KS
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.