Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

44bulb_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

An odd happening just now, I was in the middle of a game and one of the left slingshot GI bulbs brightens to 10x its normal brightness. I had just changed a couple of other controlled lamp bulbs so I thought I might have jostled a wire or something else which could have precipitated a short, but everything under the PF checked out okay. Then I switched the bulb into another GI lamp and found that it wasn't the original lamp but the bulb itself, as it shines 10x as bright no matter where I install it. What would cause a bulb to do this?

#2 7 years ago

Just something that happens to the filament before it separates from vibration. I typically see this on lamps close to the flippers or slings. Try not to let it go too long like that as it does generate much more heat. The filaments on older GE bulbs didn't have this issue because the filament is much beefier.

#3 7 years ago

Wow that's bizarre! I'm guessing you have higher resistance somewhere along the filament that's generating much more heat and light than normal. Can you get a close up photo of this bulb? I'm fascinated to see how the filament managed to deteriorate like this and not burn out.

#4 7 years ago

I think I read somewhere that it has something to do with a failing filament and its electrical resistance.

#5 7 years ago

The filament is probably twisted back on itself which shortens it greatly. Same current through 1/4 of filament (or even less) is gonna burn just a tad brighter. Then poof.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Wow that's bizarre! I'm guessing you have higher resistance somewhere along the filament that's generating much more heat and light than normal. Can you get a close up photo of this bulb? I'm fascinated to see how the filament managed to deteriorate like this and not burn out.

Here you go, I scanned it in a few times and this is the best one. I looks like the filament loops upon itself but it actually doesn't; I looked closely with a magnifying glass and there's the slightest bit of daylight between the two sections of the filament, so it's not actually touching itself.

I pulled the bulb quickly and just tested it in a few other lamps, so it's only been "nova" for maybe twenty seconds. I'm curious to see how long it would take to burn itself out if I reinstalled it, this wouldn't harm anything if I let it do that, would it?

44bulb_(resized).jpg44bulb_(resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

May I just add that you might want to consider replacing #44 bulbs with #47.
    Slightly dimmer (barely noticeable) but generates less heat and draws less current so kinder on your connectors and power supply.

#8 7 years ago

I've seen bulbs get brighter,but they usually blow shortly thereafter...........

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

May I just add that you might want to consider replacing #44 bulbs with #47.
    Slightly dimmer (barely noticeable) but generates less heat and draws less current so kinder on your connectors and power supply.

I'm going to be ordering a few hundred with my next PBL order.

#10 7 years ago

It looks like that filament is damaged...one end loose from the support wire and dangling in space.

#11 7 years ago

It's not, both ends are connected and the filament doesn't loop over on itself either. Just an oddity.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

I'm going to be ordering a few hundred with my next PBL order.

Good choice. For anyone who needs some 44s, put up a wanted ad for used bulbs instead and offer to pay what it costs to ship. Lots of people keep the old bulbs when putting LEDs in their games and they just want them gone. I got some bulbs this way from a couple guys, one didn't want anything for them. Got a few hundred, and the added benefit to this is you can stock up on those hard to find GE bulbs that last so well in high vibration or hard to reach areas. In my bags I found several dozen of these.

#13 7 years ago

I have seen this phenomenon before. Not exactly sure what it is, but Cody's explanation is probably spot on.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-make-a-44-bulb-go-nova and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.