(Topic ID: 44644)

What would cause this to shooter lane?

By pinhacker71

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Supposed to be huo LOTR. Noticed this splintering in shooter lane. Otherwise game look excellent. Appears that the dark area is perhaps a knot and the wood has splintered. Manufacturing defect? Definitely not worn anywhere in shooter lane except this splitered area.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Plywood is many layers of wood glued together.

Wood, of course, is imperfect; so if one layer has some checking, it may not bond correctly with the lower ply.

Is that "splinter" loose, or is is bonded to the next layer?

#3 11 years ago

It's loose. I can push it down a little.

#4 11 years ago

Use some Titebond III glue and fasten it back down.

Use a clamp, so you can apply some pressure. Wax paper between so the clamp does not get glued to the playfield.

Easy fix once you have done one.

#5 11 years ago

I'll try it. Thanks.

#6 11 years ago

There is a small void at the start of the splinter and along the side. Should I just let the glue fill those areas as well and sand them smooth with some wet sandpaper to get it level?

#7 11 years ago

The glue dries a tan color, so use your judgment.

If you ever get your playfield clear coated, the restorer will fill the void and paint it to match the surrounding wood.

Press down on the splinter when you first put the glue under it and see how much "squeeze out" you get. You will get a larger squeeze out with a clamp than your finger...

#8 11 years ago

Thanks. I'll try it when I get some downtime. Don't think it will get any worse.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-cause-this-to-shooter-lane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.